Prove there's a god.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#571792 Dec 10, 2012
Al Garcia wrote:
They feel that... Know that... What they know is the truth and along comes this person telling them otherwise. We've been told that Satan will come along to do just that. And guess what?! There is a real fear of Satan and its easy to now see him in the flesh delivering the message that we were told would come.
I know. I used to be a Christian. It's a great little set of predictions and teachings - you will be despised by others for what you tell them, but that will be the Devil talking. And you will have doubt, but ignore those, too - that's also the Devil.
Al Garcia wrote:
It's really not difficult for me to see where the hostility comes from. Perhaps I don't personally fear Satan. Perhaps I've toyed with the idea that he may not exist. That may well be why I personally do not respond with hostility. But I cannot speak for all my Christian brethren on this but only my own. Perhaps my lack of fear of Satan will be my undoing at my end, but only time and God will tell.
Thanks for that, Al.

And kudos to you for learning to keep it impersonal, as you just did. Never once did you try to psychoanalyze my need to escape accountability, nor refer to any imaginary feuding with a god that I only claim to believe doesn't exist, nor salivate over my future horror and suffering. I pretty much put all of those people in the same pile, and it's a pretty big pile. You more or less stand alone among Christians here. Nettie and Fossil Bob are pretty good Christians, too, but I don't see much of either.

That's really what my post was about - what a shame that it has to be that way so often.
Huh

Dallas, TX

#571793 Dec 10, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Well said.
Me, too. I'm also agnostic. I don't really see how anything else is possible at this point. How could you know either way?
I'm also an atheist because, like you, I'm not buying any of the dogma. Nor the mythology, nor the superstitions, nor the magical thinking. I don't believe any of it, so I'm not involved in any religions or any forms of worship. Why would I be.
That makes me an atheist. An agnostic atheist. If I'm not an atheist - if somebody as aggressively anti-theistic as I am doesn't count as an atheist because - then the word is useless.
I wouldn't be surprised if you're also an atheist. You don't seem to believe in a god either.
I am a gnostic atheist to Biblegod. It has been proven demonstrably false. As far as any other gods, cultural conditioning is only what has led us to any gods in the first place so I teeter towards gnostic atheism in that regard, as well. As no gods have ever been demonstrated and have no effect on the natural world, the knowledge of them is ultimately immaterial.
Huh

Dallas, TX

#571794 Dec 10, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Gotta love those people who wear gold crosses or other such jewelry, wear funny hats, strange clothing, horrible haircuts, stick fish and "I-Heart-Jesus" stickers on their cars - and then tell me to keep my atheism to myself.
I once saw a car littered with pro-life stickers driving in such an unsafe manner that it took out four cars a 4 miles up the road after it passed. It is supposed to mean more than zygotes.
Huh

Dallas, TX

#571795 Dec 10, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>It's a POE, you moron. Probably, HFY.
By definition, a Poe is indistinguishable. Not recognizing one does not make one a moron.

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#571796 Dec 10, 2012
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>Angry Christian is angry. Why are you angry at unicorns?
I'm sure they're angry at unicorns because they're fabulously gay!
http://fashionindie.lookbooks.netdna-cdn.com/...
Huh

Dallas, TX

#571797 Dec 10, 2012
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
will culture, morality, and scientific advance, survive the coming abrahamic war?
It's impossible to predict. Maybe it will prevent it.
Huh

Dallas, TX

#571798 Dec 10, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Yeah and your interpretation of Christians is of your own prejudice. Seems it does not accur to you apply your own standards to your own posts.
This in no way addresses the point of my post. You are just circling the wagons around your impossible faith scenario. It is your fallback, yet, you learn nothing from it. Que sera sera.
Huh

Dallas, TX

#571799 Dec 10, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Yeah it means you are in denial about the real consequences of your atheism and history. A person at work has an exchange student from Germany. She has said in East Germany if a young person got confirmed in either the Catholic or Lutheren church they were automatically denied college under the Communists. You need to read books about people who went to Gulags, had their property seized. Look at Ayn Rand who was big on property rights. Her whole family had their property seized and they got the boot. The killing off of people because they completed college and were not Communists. You got you head so far up your behind on this one, you cannot see the light of day.
Ayn Rand was an atheist.

You are committing an equivocation fallacy. Communism is not atheistic. A despot, or a pharaoh in a term more familiar to you, is as theistic, perhaps even more of god than the one you whip out of your pocket. They considered the churches as competition to their own theism. Your last line is wholly indicative of YOUR world view and your faith position. You want to live forever. Whoopdedoo. That's a terrible reason to defend the imaginary.

Fennario

#571800 Dec 10, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
"We're just products of evolution. You can say 'Gee, your life must be pretty bleak if you don't think there's a purpose' but I'm anticipating a good lunch." - James Watson.
Huh

Dallas, TX

#571801 Dec 10, 2012
scambuster wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure they're angry at unicorns because they're fabulously gay!
http://fashionindie.lookbooks.netdna-cdn.com/...
What kind of food do unicorns eat? Haaaaaaaaaaaay!
Phil Gray

Germany

#571802 Dec 10, 2012
<quoted text>
"We're just products of evolution. You can say 'Gee, your life must be pretty bleak if you don't think there's a purpose' but I'm anticipating a good lunch." - James Watson.
I fart up your nose.
_Chartreuse_

Scranton, PA

#571803 Dec 10, 2012
That bear is so homosexual.

Fennario

#571804 Dec 10, 2012
Davin wrote:
One could argue that man brought on such syndroms as touretts and mental illness out of mans own thurst for corrupting everything decent and good. genetic dispositions didnt just happen there was a reason
I think that you'd have to be a Christian to think that way. Nobody else seems to assume such ugly things about man. To my knowledge, nobody else is indoctrinated with so dark and misanthropic a philosophy of man than Christians.
Davin wrote:
its the same reason that we are not all mentally Ill, though it is noones fault that they are born this way, it still doesnt disprove that man is directly responsible for such genetic mutations
I can't say that I followed that argument, but why should we want to disprove that man is responsible for genetic mutations? Without a Christian upbringing, why would we even suspect such a thing, let alone assume it or want to disprove it? If another religion taught that genetic mutation was due to something else - say grasshoppers - we wouldn't feel the need to disprove that either.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#571805 Dec 10, 2012
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
I have one, I need not gawk
talk to RR, he gets boners when he is around naked men
you will like him
cmon now, you were the one who was angrily complaining how (in your own words) "homophopes" hide themselves behind urinal wings from others being able to see their junk.

how would you know this & why on earth would you care?!?!
BadBreathBruce

Auckland, New Zealand

#571806 Dec 10, 2012
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
religion is the problem, and if you cannot see any moral improvement over the last couple of centuries, you are looking too much to the interior, do not use yourself as an example.
I'm sorry. Try as I may, I just can't see any improvement at all.

Fennario

#571807 Dec 10, 2012
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TOCO8TE...
Huh wrote:
There are fine examples of this all over Scandanavia and Western Europe..
I'm sure there are. Hopefully, many fewer since Christianity has receded from those cultures.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#571808 Dec 10, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, what?
Yes that arrogance, thank you
Huh

Dallas, TX

#571809 Dec 10, 2012
http://www.topix.com/forum/top stories/TOCO8TEGNA8I5JT63/post 571773
<quoted text>
I'm sure there are. Hopefully, many fewer since Christianity has receded from those cultures.
That is what I meant. Their cultures improved dramatically as religion was relegated to a museum.
BadBreathBruce

Auckland, New Zealand

#571810 Dec 10, 2012
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>They have, especially in modern societies where religion has become a museum piece.
You can't be serious, can you?? "Oh, the WHOLE WIDE FREAKIN' WORLD is falling to PIECES around me. But, hey!! EVERYTHING'S just FINE!! RELIGION?? To HELL with it!!" Ah well. Different strokes for different folks.
Huh

Dallas, TX

#571811 Dec 10, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Yeah and your interpretation of Christians is of your own prejudice. Seems it does not accur to you apply your own standards to your own posts.
I read a post of yours on that other thread. i get it now. You are an alcoholic felon who has traded addictions. AA is a dangerous organization and does nothing to empower those who need empowering. AA is tacit proof that a secular, humanistic worldview is superior to that in which an imaginary god is the alleged source of strength. The recidivism rate of AA attendees is exactly that same as those who enter no program at all. Fail.

"Conservatives pride themselves on resisting change, which is as it should be. But intelligent deference to tradition and stability can evolve into intellectual sloth and moral fanaticism, as when conservatives simply decline to look up from dogma because the effort to raise their heads and reconsider is too great." - Willaim F Buckley

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
White Lives MATTER 1 min Poov 154
God COMMANDS that men/women DEFEAT THEIR LUSTS!... 1 min Bigelow 4
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 1 min BenAdam 8,056
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 min Liam 603,227
Why do we live life when we have to die anyway? (Jul '13) 1 min The swamiji 207
Are truck drivers faithful?? (Sep '08) 1 min VictorDaRoadKing 172
More and more people keeping their autos past 200k 1 min Doctor REALITY 3
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 min Insults Are Easier 272,880
The Christian Atheist debate 6 min ChristINSANITY is... 3,846
is it wrong i like to wear womens underwear (Nov '12) Sat i fkedurBeezyanally 279
More from around the web