Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#571729 Dec 9, 2012
God Himself wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you obsessed with the supernatural? You seem to be suffering from a God delusion of some sort. By "natural intelligence", I mean intelligence that arose naturally.
I desire to understand why you find it hard to appreciate that if natural intelligence exists, that intelligence may have designed and/or be guiding the development of the natural world.
Why couldn't natural intelligence cause the formation of the universe by intelligently designing; even by evolution in as much as it is a process that can be used to create intelligently?
was there something you intended to communicate when you composed this random outburst?
God Himself

Kingston, Jamaica

#571730 Dec 9, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Good post.
I now call the central tenets of the theory of evolution fact. Although no scientific theory can be proven, evolutionary theory comes as close as you can - close enough to call a fact. The theory can't be upturned without discovering something as dramatic as a Matrix reality or Last Thursdayism being the case, or uncovering a trickster god that wanted us to believe that life had evolved. If I can call less well established ideas facts, I think that I can call Darwin's idea fact as well.
What do you think?
But there you go.

A theory cannot be proven.

So what is the value of supporting evidence if it does not prove the theory correct?
BadBreathBruce

Auckland, New Zealand

#571731 Dec 9, 2012
christianity is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
people havent changed much over the centuries ,there was bad and good always,
only now you hear more about BAD more bc the news travels at the speed of light!
and it SELLs better then good news
And yet, people SHOULD have changed much - MORALLY - over the centuries, for the BETTER. Why has it gone pear-shaped?? Surely: PHYSICAL Evolution + MENTAL Evolution = MORAL Evolution. It's got me stumped.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#571732 Dec 9, 2012
Tavita wrote:
<quoted text>
possibly the most profound post on Topix. Good work.
Oh, dear.

“I never claimed to be Perfect”

Since: Nov 10

just better than yesterday

#571733 Dec 9, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Sure we are.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/27/fashion/27S...
Developing a callous, uncaring nature is more like it.
something to think about.

http://wimp.com/humanrace/
BadBreathBruce

Auckland, New Zealand

#571734 Dec 9, 2012
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
we do appear to be evolving morality, I think religion is holding us back.
We can hope for the day we evolve sufficiently that we no longer employ mythology as an understanding of morality
I'm sorry, but I beg to differ. I believe we are morally bankrupt almost to the point of no return. Besides, didn't all morality originate from religion in the first place?? Sorry for raining on your parade, karl44!!

#571735 Dec 9, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
There are less than a handful of Christians that can maintain a civil conversation about their religion. Lately, I have had three Christians that started out civil eventually break down and get personal and hostile over my opinions about faith, their bible, their doctrine, and their church.
I guess I understand. We attack what is most cherished to them, Now that the Internet gives us a safe place to express them, they're hearing what we think of their church, and they seem shocked. Since they have always had the freedom to demean and marginalize us unopposed, they're not used to hearing our thoughts.
They will. Watch as our ideas replace theirs. It seems inevitable to me that their ideas will become progressively more socially unacceptable and evoke increasingly more contempt and ridicule over the next few decades. Eventually, that will silence them. I expect that there will be a closet available soon ready for immediate occupancy.
To most Christians the only true words are the words that were told to them by their parents or Grandparents, read about in the Bible and verified by their pastors. Along comes someone and tells them that what they've heard, what they've known what they've cherished and who've they've cherished it from is not true? And in most of those cases IANS (maybe not in your case but in most others out there) they're told in a not so nice way that they've been lied to, or are crazy. And one wonders why we become hostile? It's the Equivalent of being told that your parents aren't your real parents, or the that person telling you this is for whatever reason attempting to maliciously lie to you and hurt you.

Of course a Christian is going to resist, get angry and respond with a defense that may be less than civil. They feel that... Know that... What they know is the truth and along comes this person telling them otherwise. We've been told that Satan will come along to do just that. And guess what?! There is a real fear of Satan and its easy to now see him in the flesh delivering the message that we were told would come.

It's really not difficult for me to see where the hostility comes from. Perhaps I don't personally fear Satan. Perhaps I've toyed with the idea that he may not exist. That may well be why I personally do not respond with hostility. But I cannot speak for all my Christian brethren on this but only my own. Perhaps my lack of fear of Satan will be my undoing at my end, but only time and God will tell.

The Borderland of Sol

#571736 Dec 9, 2012
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>something to think about.
http://wimp.com/humanrace/
Mornin', Al. Why are you up at this ugly cow-milking hour?

#571737 Dec 9, 2012
Sharkey wrote:
<quoted text>"good people will always help you if you need it, they'll never ask anything in return."
Psssshht. BS.
You're giving humans more credit than they deserve on this one.
They always do something to get something in return, even if it's just acknowledgement of their good deed.
"See what I did for YOU, now what have you got for ME?" is the REAL human motto.
Even though it APPEARS that "they'd give you the shirt off their back", they still want it to be known that, "Hey, look what I did..."
Hi Sharkey! I have to respectfully disagree with you here. Yes, it's true that it appears that everyone is out to step on everyone else to get ahead. But that's all it is -appearance. There really are some that are pure of heart and spirit and wish to do what is right. There are some that will give and not ask for anything in return. They are out there as a lovely voice drowned out in a crowded noisy city, but make no mistake friend, that voice is still out there though it may not be heard at first.
We must all strive not only to believe that kindness is out there, but strive how we can attempt to better others. It sounds like a load of crap I know, but its not.
Good people do exist. You are good people. Just show someone. That's it. No secret. No magic.
Peace to you my friend.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#571738 Dec 9, 2012
God Himself wrote:
<quoted text>
But there you go.
A theory cannot be proven.
So what is the value of supporting evidence if it does not prove the theory correct?
Special relativity - true or false?

#571739 Dec 9, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Mornin', Al. Why are you up at this ugly cow-milking hour?
Tired as heck but can't sleep. My mind is usually quite lucid during this stage and I just write whatever comes to mind. That and I had too much popcorn and salt and now I'm caught between drinking lots of water and having to get up to go to the loo.

The Borderland of Sol

#571740 Dec 10, 2012
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
Tired as heck but can't sleep. My mind is usually quite lucid during this stage and I just write whatever comes to mind. That and I had too much popcorn and salt and now I'm caught between drinking lots of water and having to get up to go to the loo.
Well, that'd do it, all right.

#571741 Dec 10, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Well, that'd do it, all right.
And you kind sir? What Are you doing up instead of curling up with the warm blankets?

#571742 Dec 10, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Special relativity - true or false?
see the three clock paradox.

The Borderland of Sol

#571743 Dec 10, 2012
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
And you kind sir? What Are you doing up instead of curling up with the warm blankets?
"Working".

Second job.

The Borderland of Sol

#571744 Dec 10, 2012
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>see the three clock paradox.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#571745 Dec 10, 2012
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>see the three clock paradox.
I should have elaborated a bit more.. I was trying to make a point that nothing can be absolutely proven, the best we can hope for is very, very close to proven.

#571746 Dec 10, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>"Working".
Second job.
You're a better stronger man than me. I can barely handle the one I have and just literally come home exhausted, mentally drained and unstably irritable.
Don't know how you do it friend, but respectful kudos to you!:)

#571747 Dec 10, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I should have elaborated a bit more.. I was trying to make a point that nothing can be absolutely proven, the best we can hope for is very, very close to proven.
I got you. I was just simply being a butt head ;)

#571748 Dec 10, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Lol!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tamil vs Kannada. Which one is the oldest langu... (Oct '12) 3 min Neelakaran 1,362
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 11 min Robert F 584,502
dallas technologies reviews 33 min akritisaxena 12
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 1 hr WasteWater 3,626
how do I get a girl to like me 1 hr Uncle Bob 5
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 2 hr sangili karuppan 6,309
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 hr WasteWater 270,683
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 4 hr Peace_Warrior 611,843
Why Iím no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 8 hr karl44 442,889
More from around the web