“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#571688 Dec 9, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Shaking the Scary Chicken again? "Arise, Chicken. Arise!" You people are a hoot.Why didn't you get your share of the promised "peace that passeth all understanding" and assorted "fruits of the spirit" such as joy and forbearance? All you got was a tiny spirit and and a barrel of frustrated anger.
Just Results wrote:
I can tell I made you mad.
Is that what you discerned from that? You're such an empath.

And that would fine if what you saw was anger. I don't mind being angry. I don't like grief, shame, fear, confusion, and many other dysphoric states. But anger often feels pretty good.

Nevertheless, what you are experiencing from me in these Internet exchanges with theists like you is closer to contempt than anger. In fact, you have become my poster child for a contemptible Christian. I use you as a bad example from time to time. I couldn't tell if you had seen these :

[1] "With a Christian dentist, you're fine if you wear a cross or give him a "Praise the Lord!" or two. Can you imagine having Just Results as your dentist, and confiding in him that you were a skeptic? He'd drill up through your hard palate."
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TOCO8TE...

[2] "And I don't find the fact that the church hasn't burned a witch in North America for over four centuries too comforting considering that that's exactly how long they have been forbidden from doing so. What do you think the American church would do if it was granted the legal right to begin burning heretics again stating New years Day? What do you think this guy would do: Just Results wrote: "Hell was created for their god Satan and for them to suffer in, and I'm thankful that they will suffer there endlessly for their heinous hatred and ruthless bitter deception." How many of these people do you think there are in 2012?"
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TOCO8TE...

I'm not angry at you. I am contemptuous of the religion that made you into that, and want to stop it.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#571689 Dec 9, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Having a nice looking workout partner wouldn't hurt either.
That's always motivating.
The gym is a great place to meet the ladies.

If that doesn't work, I can tell you that there are some gorgeous personal trainers at the gym where I work out.

They increase the guys' heartbeat rate.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#571690 Dec 9, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
100% Natural Born Killer with a High Testosterone count.
You wanna know how my women know I have a high sperm count too?
Thanks Aura, I'll take your word for it.

Fennario

#571691 Dec 9, 2012
Sharkey wrote:
So many of them he's confused - even his individual personalities are confused! What a hell he must live in.
I'd almost feel sorry for him... Almost.
I know what you mean.

I'm a little ashamed that I don't feel more empathy for these people. They were victims of their church before they became its soldiers, and yes, they live smaller, stunted lives for it.

But I am what I am. I find them mostly disgusting, and for whatever reason, don't feel much need to conceal that.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#571692 Dec 9, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
In the context of a public school setting, you're right.As long as the subject is religion, the teacher MUST keep their own opinions out of it and simply teach the "facts" of said religion.
Those "facts" surrounding religion(S), would be that they are of a mythic nature, and are often 'grown" or accumulated over time from previously existing cultures and religions, embellished upon or maded unique to the adopting culture, and that within those mythic stories, there are some verifiable historical places and events, but that the "supernatural" components equate to fantasy and imagined or created events, and not based in any sort of verifiable reality.

The hallmark of myth.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
(Then when the students walk out, he/she can pray to God while looking at the cross hung over the door.)
:p
Or a stone image of Quetzalcoatl, no?

Perhaps an Asherah tree, yes?
christianity is EVIL

Halifax, Canada

#571693 Dec 9, 2012
BadBreathBruce wrote:
<quoted text> Evolution is not scientific, it is a THEORY. And you SURE ARE right there about atheism - it's NOT an academic subject, and therefore ABSOLUTELY CANNOT be in any school curriculum!! With religion, there IS a deity, a book (e.g. the Holy Bible in Christianity), so therefore there is something to teach. Atheism is the ABSENCE of a god and therefore we cannot learn ANYTHING from it. As for evolution, if we as humans are evolving physically and mentally, then WHY are we not EVOLVING MORALLY and ETHICALLY?? Because MORALLY, ETHICALLY, and in the way of our VALUES, we humans are DETERIORATING RAPIDLY. According to EVOLUTION (EVILUTION??), we should have EVOLVED MORALLY throughout those "millions of years" to the point where NOW, WE as HUMANS should be DAMN WELL BE NEAR SAINTLY!! WHY is our morality going the OPPOSITE WAY?? CREATION says the OPPOSITE has been happening all this time i.e. we're getting morally worse. Read your newspaper headlines, or watch the news on TV, on the Net (or hear it on the radio) and you'll see/hear what I mean.
people havent changed much over the centuries ,there was bad and good always,
only now you hear more about BAD more bc the news travels at the speed of light!
and it SELLs better then good news

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#571694 Dec 9, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
100% Natural Born Killer with a High Testosterone count.
You wanna know how my women know I have a high sperm count too?
yh, how?

That's good ya know coz i thought u was a guy too but i got scared when that poster called u a she.

Fennario

#571695 Dec 9, 2012
Sharkey wrote:
Maybe the debate about "god" will start to wind down when we eventually end up combining the "god" theory with the evolution theory, if we haven't reached that already.
The Christian objection to evolution probably won't die down until their church does - when the Christians have shrunken to an inaudible minority.
Sharkey wrote:
the "Evolution is god" or "God is evolution" theory. If we combine them we won't have to fight over them anymore. All this fighting over whether or not a "god" exist will only result on the self-extinction of our species. When we humans combine the two theories, peace will slowly take place as the fights over our differences will begin to dissolve.
I think that we have already won this fight. The enemy appears to be mortally wounded and actively dying. We won't need to compromise with them. We can build a humanist society embodying humanist principles and values.

They will be free shake their Scary Chicken On A Stick at the moon if that gives them a sense of purpose and moral grounding, but I suspect that they'll be closeted by then by the ridicule and rejection of their beliefs, and so few in number that nobody will hear them any more.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#571696 Dec 9, 2012
<quoted text>
Religion doesn't need to be discussed in public schools at all, no more than sports or movies.

Yeah, and I agree.

You know, at times I think the most difficult endeavor on this thread is to try and keep a discussion going with an individual, and sometimes that works, but only rarely. Even with offering a give and take approach, by suggesting a new direction for the conversation or by tossing a new concept out there in hopes that it will bring forth some different thought or commentary.

This is what Ar Ar had to say in response to the above:
[QUOTE who="RiversideRedneck "]<quoted text>
In the context of a public school setting, you're right.
As long as the subject is religion, the teacher MUST keep their own opinions out of it and simply teach the "facts" of said religion.
(Then when the students walk out, he/she can pray to God while looking at the cross hung over the door.)
It rarely works.
But a college level course on the history of Christianity might be instructive. The chapters of the text could include the following:
I. Self-Contradictions In The Bible
II. Errors of Scientific Fact In The Bible
III. Anthropology and Biblical Myths.
IV. Crusades And Holy Wars - "Kill Em All, Let God Sort Them Out"
V. The Inquisitions
VI. Witch Burning At Salem
VII. Scapegoating Jews: Christian Antisemitism
VIII. Demeaning Gays: Christian Homophobia
IX. Marginalizing and Dehumanizing skeptics: Christian homophobia
X. Oppressing Women: Christian Misogyny
XI. Sexual Constipation
XII. Christian Misanthropy - Mankind Is A Useless Disappointment
XIII. Christian Antiscientism
Maybe with an opening week long class focusing on the "Mythic Origins of Primitive Mans Religious Beliefs and Practices; Mountain, Sea, and Sky"

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#571697 Dec 9, 2012
lemme repost that...
<quoted text>
Religion doesn't need to be discussed in public schools at all, no more than sports or movies.
Yeah, and I agree.

You know, at times I think the most difficult endeavor on this thread is to try and keep a discussion going with an individual, and sometimes that works, but only rarely. Even with offering a give and take approach, by suggesting a new direction for the conversation or by tossing a new concept out there in hopes that it will bring forth some different thought or commentary.

This is what Ar Ar had to say in response to the above:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
In the context of a public school setting, you're right.
As long as the subject is religion, the teacher MUST keep their own opinions out of it and simply teach the "facts" of said religion.
It rarely works.
But a college level course on the history of Christianity might be instructive. The chapters of the text could include the following:
I. Self-Contradictions In The Bible
II. Errors of Scientific Fact In The Bible
III. Anthropology and Biblical Myths.
IV. Crusades And Holy Wars - "Kill Em All, Let God Sort Them Out"
V. The Inquisitions
VI. Witch Burning At Salem
VII. Scapegoating Jews: Christian Antisemitism
VIII. Demeaning Gays: Christian Homophobia
IX. Marginalizing and Dehumanizing skeptics: Christian homophobia
X. Oppressing Women: Christian Misogyny
XI. Sexual Constipation
XII. Christian Misanthropy - Mankind Is A Useless Disappointment
XIII. Christian Antiscientism
Maybe with an opening week long class focusing on the "Mythic Origins of Primitive Mans Religious Beliefs and Practices; Mountain, Sea, and Sky"
christianity is EVIL

Halifax, Canada

#571698 Dec 9, 2012
http://www.topix.com/forum/top stories/TOCO8TEGNA8I5JT63/post 571593
<quoted text>
Is this the same sock as "Evil-Lotion" and "God Himself"? The "absolute truth" sophistry sure makes it sound like it is.
probably,,,also used to be SirDoc and Chunky and LieBuster and Incest lesbo and JustResults etc etc ,,
mental weirdo indeed

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#571699 Dec 9, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
You are wrong, there have been people and there are people in this world that are too good. They honestly don't want anything, but it's a very hard state to reach, so people like that are very hard to find.
I think that good people that do things with no thought of getting anything in return, are rewarded by the feeling of satisfaction that they are unselfishly and unanimously helping others. That gives them a good feeling about themselves, which can be considered their 'purpose' for doing it. Every action has something to motivate it, whether good or bad, so the motivation is a good feeling for these good givers. I suspect if they got no satisfaction, they would not do it.

An example of that would be Mother Teresa, IMO, who spent much of her life working with the poor in India, even though she also spent much of that time questioning her own faith, which was disclosed after she died, by those who she had confided in during her life. I suspect she enjoyed the fame she had worldwide, but felt somewhat stuck in a lifestyle that did not give her the joy she had wanted, because she did not have the courage to disappoint all the people who believed in her, or to lose her reputation in her church and the world.

Though she did a lot of good for people she also did a lot of harm too, because she spread the RC belief of not using birth control, which is something that the people she worked with badly needed, as high birth rates were a terrible problem there.

Basically our own opinion of ourselves is the only thing that really affects us in our lives anyway, though for many our opinions of ourselves is very dependent on the feedback of others. Even if we are evil and want the worship or the respect of others, we are still motivated by what makes us feel important to ourselves. I doubt many people do bad things so they feel badly, as it is human nature to avoid personal upset. Saddam Hussein or Hitler were not evil men all their lives, because they got a bad feeling from being evil, but rather they did it because they got a good feeling by the power and control they had over the lives of others. They are some of the ultimate bullies.

I am a person who has very much been controlled by how others perceive me, because I am embarrassed by disapproval, so I consciously or unconsciously try to do the 'right' thing so as to not upset anyone else (places such as this may be exceptions because I can hide behind my computer screen). This has been exacerbated in my past by an inordinate amount of criticism from adults for various things I did 'wrong', and/or a lot of bullying by peers in the lower grades of school, so that I tried to not rock the boat, so to speak, to avoid making the bullying worse than it already was.

In a group of three people for example, I may have been well liked by my two friends, but they always called the shots, because I feared to try to lead because of my fear of their not approving what I wanted. A word for that is 'wimp' That would describe much of my 1st marriage which lasted 31 years before separation. I kind of associate all that as a result of the bullying I got when young, because I coped by cooperating, and that became a learned habit.

Fennario

#571700 Dec 9, 2012
scaritual wrote:
There are less than a handful of Christians that can maintain a civil conversation about their religion. Lately, I have had three Christians that started out civil eventually break down and get personal and hostile over my opinions about faith, their bible, their doctrine, and their church.

I guess I understand. We attack what is most cherished to them, Now that the Internet gives us a safe place to express them, they're hearing what we think of their church, and they seem shocked. Since they have always had the freedom to demean and marginalize us unopposed, they're not used to hearing our thoughts.

They will. Watch as our ideas replace theirs. It seems inevitable to me that their ideas will become progressively more socially unacceptable and evoke increasingly more contempt and ridicule over the next few decades. Eventually, that will silence them. I expect that there will be a closet available soon ready for immediate occupancy.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#571701 Dec 9, 2012
Just Results wrote:
<quoted text>
Only stupid people say that.
There is certainly no sense in faith in something that very well may not exist because there is absolutely no evidence of it existing. We can have faith in things that we do have some evidence to support but are not guaranteed. For example most of us board an airplane based on our faith that the pilots and the plane will get us to our destination unharmed, and that is based on evidence that planes and pilots have done that many times in the past. However like that American singer who died early today in Mexico, one time she had faith in the plane and pilots was the wrong time.

On the other hand if we boarded a plane not having any confidence at all in the pilots, and knowing the plane came from a line of planes that had a high crash rate, but we decided to pray to God, for which there is no evidence of His existence, and got on the plane assured in our own minds that God would do whatever was His will for us, we would be damned fools.

Kind of like the allied solders storming the shores of France during WWII knowing that they were walking or running towards almost certain death, which a lot of them experienced, but prayed that God would spared them (assuming some wasted the time to pray). Many of them were likely very devoutly Christian soldiers, but they still died, because no God was going to stop all the bullets from lots of German machine guns in front of which they were basically sitting ducks. Those who made it to shore and lived to fight another day, were just fortunate that none of the bullets happened to have hit them.

Fennario

#571702 Dec 9, 2012
boooots wrote:
An example of that would be Mother Teresa, IMO, who spent much of her life working with the poor in India, even though she also spent much of that time questioning her own faith, which was disclosed after she died, by those who she had confided in during her life. I suspect she enjoyed the fame she had worldwide, but felt somewhat stuck in a lifestyle that did not give her the joy she had wanted, because she did not have the courage to disappoint all the people who believed in her, or to lose her reputation in her church and the world.

Though she did a lot of good for people she also did a lot of harm too, because she spread the RC belief of not using birth control, which is something that the people she worked with badly needed, as high birth rates were a terrible problem there.
Mother Teresa's greatest crimes were the fraud and sadism that her church convinced her to facilitate. Take a look at the following if you will, and then please tell me what you think about Mother Teresa and her church:

http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...

Location hidden

#571703 Dec 9, 2012
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
I think that good people that do things with no thought of getting anything in return, are rewarded by the feeling of satisfaction that they are unselfishly and unanimously helping others. That ..........lead because of my fear of their not approving what I wanted. A word for that is 'wimp' That would describe much of my 1st marriage which lasted 31 years before separation. I kind of associate all that as a result of the bullying I got when young, because I coped by cooperating, and that became a learned habit.
Thank you very much for that!! I agree with that, but when i read sikh faith or history sometimes i feel that they gave up their lives coz they felt as if it was their duty to help people.

I never knew about the RC thing being linked to her.

Nah, I've never been a wimp, I don't normally pick on people or hit them, but to protect myself or people I care about, I sometimes open the cage to let the tiger out, lol.:-)

Location hidden

#571704 Dec 9, 2012
<quoted text>
Mother Teresa's greatest crimes were the fraud and sadism that her church convinced her to facilitate. Take a look at the following if you will, and then please tell me what you think about Mother Teresa and her church:
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...
OMG, I respected her too, why would she even say this?

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." Mother Teresa

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#571705 Dec 9, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
yh, how?
That's good ya know coz i thought u was a guy too but i got scared when that poster called u a she.
They have to chew before swallowing.

Yeah I get that a lot , but you know sometimes Jessie is a girl.
And Aura is a guy.

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#571706 Dec 9, 2012
BadBreathBruce wrote:
<quoted text> Evolution is not scientific, it is a THEORY. And you SURE ARE right there about atheism - it's NOT an academic subject, and therefore ABSOLUTELY CANNOT be in any school curriculum!! With religion, there IS a deity, a book (e.g. the Holy Bible in Christianity), so therefore there is something to teach. Atheism is the ABSENCE of a god and therefore we cannot learn ANYTHING from it. As for evolution, if we as humans are evolving physically and mentally, then WHY are we not EVOLVING MORALLY and ETHICALLY?? Because MORALLY, ETHICALLY, and in the way of our VALUES, we humans are DETERIORATING RAPIDLY. According to EVOLUTION (EVILUTION??), we should have EVOLVED MORALLY throughout those "millions of years" to the point where NOW, WE as HUMANS should be DAMN WELL BE NEAR SAINTLY!! WHY is our morality going the OPPOSITE WAY?? CREATION says the OPPOSITE has been happening all this time i.e. we're getting morally worse. Read your newspaper headlines, or watch the news on TV, on the Net (or hear it on the radio) and you'll see/hear what I mean.
we do appear to be evolving morality, I think religion is holding us back.

We can hope for the day we evolve sufficiently that we no longer employ mythology as an understanding of morality

Location hidden

#571707 Dec 9, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
They have to chew before swallowing.
Yeah I get that a lot , but you know sometimes Jessie is a girl.
And Aura is a guy.
eewwwwwwwwwwwww, oh lol.

hang on, jessie is a boys name and Aura a girls?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 12 min RoSesz 584,245
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 13 min RiccardoFire 98,974
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 13 min His Eminency dr S... 40,144
News Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 15 min Gas Woman 121,657
Moving to Oregon? Think again. 21 min Goodby Oregon 2
Sex with Mom (May '12) 1 hr PDXdave 18
Derrick Briggs 1 hr Commander Bunny 5
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 2 hr RiccardoFire 3,459
Why Im no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 4 hr duststorm 442,869
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 5 hr truth 611,849
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 20 hr karvinman 176,528
More from around the web