Prove there's a god.

“I never claimed to be Perfect”

Since: Nov 10

just better than yesterday

#571742 Dec 10, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Special relativity - true or false?
see the three clock paradox.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#571743 Dec 10, 2012
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
And you kind sir? What Are you doing up instead of curling up with the warm blankets?
"Working".

Second job.

The Borderland of Sol

#571744 Dec 10, 2012
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>see the three clock paradox.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#571745 Dec 10, 2012
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>see the three clock paradox.
I should have elaborated a bit more.. I was trying to make a point that nothing can be absolutely proven, the best we can hope for is very, very close to proven.

#571746 Dec 10, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>"Working".
Second job.
You're a better stronger man than me. I can barely handle the one I have and just literally come home exhausted, mentally drained and unstably irritable.
Don't know how you do it friend, but respectful kudos to you!:)

#571747 Dec 10, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I should have elaborated a bit more.. I was trying to make a point that nothing can be absolutely proven, the best we can hope for is very, very close to proven.
I got you. I was just simply being a butt head ;)

#571748 Dec 10, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Lol!

#571749 Dec 10, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I should have elaborated a bit more.. I was trying to make a point that nothing can be absolutely proven, the best we can hope for is very, very close to proven.
I mean, I understood what you were trying to say....

The Borderland of Sol

#571750 Dec 10, 2012
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
You're a better stronger man than me. I can barely handle the one I have and just literally come home exhausted, mentally drained and unstably irritable.
Don't know how you do it friend, but respectful kudos to you!:)
Well, thank you - but neither of mine involves anything unpleasant, like actual work.

Mondays are a bit of a nuisance, though - come 0700 Tuesday morning, I'll have worked 24 of 32 hours...

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#571751 Dec 10, 2012
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
I mean, I understood what you were trying to say....
Gotcha.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#571752 Dec 10, 2012
Clementia wrote:
OMG, I respected her too, why would she even say this?
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." – Mother Teresa
Her religion taught her that. It's a rather disgusting thing to think. My main point with her is not how horrible she was, but how the church influenced her life. How about the fraud of accepting millions of dollars intended to ease the suffering of the dying poor, and she forwarded them to perhaps the wealthiest treasury in the world, which kept the money. People trusted that woman.

This is in part why I am EXTREMELY skeptical of all Christian charities. There is virtually no oversight of them, and no will to provide any oversight - just the will to grant tax breaks based on their word.

Fennario

#571753 Dec 10, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
eewwwwwwwwwwwww, oh lol.
hang on, jessie is a boys name and Aura a girls?
Jessie is usually a girl, and Jesse a boy. This happens a lot with Anglicized names. Frances is a girl and Francis a boy, Joe is a boy and Jo a girl. Billy, Charley and Ricky are boys, but Billie, Charlie and Rickie are usually girls.

Some change spelling more. Geri and Erin are girls, while Jerry and Aaron are boys.

There are also a few that don't change form between the sexes, such as Christ, Pat, Casey, Lindsay, Kelly, Leslie, and Kim for example.

Fennario

#571755 Dec 10, 2012
God Himself wrote:
The word "God" does not have to mean a supernatural being that is worshiped or deserving of praise. Let me expand your mind:
God:

"A powerful ruler OOOOOR despot." [http://www.thefreedictionary. com/god]
From http://www.thefreedictionary.com/god
God - A powerful ruler or despot.

Yes. And this is why genocidal cults of personality like Stalinism, Nazism, and Maoism with their harshly judgmental and authoritarian mortal gods are more properly categorized with Christianity and Islam than with gentle philosophies like secular humanism.

The mere fact that men who saw themselves as gods would deny that there were supernatural gods greater than themselves does not make their brutal cults of personality like secular humanism, which also rejects the god concept. Humanists are atheists for a completely unrelated reason, and pursue much more benign ideals and motiviations.

From the Affirmations of Humanism:

"We affirm humanism as a realistic alternative to theologies of despair and ideologies of violence and as a source of rich personal significance and genuine satisfaction in the service to others."

This type of thinking - a celebration of the individual and of the human spirit - is alien to Stalinism, Christianity, Nazism, Islam and Maoism. They all crack some kind of serious whip.

Fennario

#571756 Dec 10, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Gotta love those people who wear gold crosses or other such jewelry, wear funny hats, strange clothing, horrible haircuts, stick fish and "I-Heart-Jesus" stickers on their cars - and then tell me to keep my atheism to myself.
Yes.

And if you want to take their god out of the Pledge or off of the currency, you're forcing atheism down their throats.

Fennario

#571757 Dec 10, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
Don't listen to that cynical twit. Believe.
"Believe," huh? It sounds like an order. There's some good advice coming from a respected and trusted source.

Fennario

#571758 Dec 10, 2012
God Himself wrote:
Where is the contradiction? If you understood the Bible you would know that there are various people speaking in the Bible, each having their own conception of what God is or relying on different attributes. The differences in perspectives or characterisations of God are due to the differences in the subjectiveness of the perceptions of the various men, regarding the nature of God. Hence there is no contradiction in God in the Bible, but there may be contradiction about God in the Bible.

Do you even understand the style of writing that is used to compose the Bible? DUNCE!
What you seem to be overlooking is that unbelievers wouldn't be interested in the words or perspectives of anybody that isn't a god in a matter such as this. What kind of god lets humans add to and corrupt his message? A nonexistent one, that's what kind.

You can't sell skeptics on the authenticity of your bible and its allegedly perfect author with a book full of contradictions that you blame on human authors. Can you see that?

Fennario

#571759 Dec 10, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Sure we are.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/27/fashion/27S...
Developing a callous, uncaring nature is more like it.
America is spiritually constipated now, and that's largely due to its Christian influence. For example, the constant negativity about science is robbing tens of millions of Americans of the spiritual experience - the sense of awe and of connectivity - that a scientific education facilitates. We are connected to all other life on earth and to the stars. This world is marvelous, and man is a noble beast.

Christianity poisons all of that. It keeps the individual in a fearful and immature state, dependent, and despising his own nature.

Dominant cultures are in the people making business. Christian culture is simply a failure at that. We benefited by expunging it from government, and I'm pretty sure we'll benefit again expunging it from the role of determining such societal values in America as its scapegoating of gays, its antiscientism, its dehumanizing of atheists, its oppression of women's freedoms, its deep pessimism about man, and its intense sexual prudery.

We should be better off without any of those Christian inputs. And maybe with the Christian out of the way, maybe America can do a better job as a nation embodying the Golden Rule.

Fennario

#571760 Dec 10, 2012
God Himself wrote:
Why are you obsessed with the supernatural?
Obsessed? I reject the idea for lack of a clear definition and for the lack of any evidence for the existence of anything not natural.
God Himself wrote:
You seem to be suffering from a God delusion of some sort.
I used to be many moons ago, but I got better, thank you very much.
God Himself wrote:
By "natural intelligence", I mean intelligence that arose naturally.
OK. So do I.

Fennario

#571761 Dec 10, 2012
God Himself wrote:
I desire to understand why you find it hard to appreciate that if natural intelligence exists, that intelligence may have designed and/or be guiding the development of the natural world.
I don't find that hard to appreciate. That's my position, too.

But "may" might mean something different to me than to you. To me, it means not yet shown to be impossible, which really isn't very interesting. What we care about is what is actual and what can be made actual. There is infinitely more that is simply an idea that cannot yet be ruled out, like Russell's teapot and leprechauns.
God Himself wrote:
Why couldn't natural intelligence cause the formation of the universe by intelligently designing; even by evolution in as much as it is a process that can be used to create intelligently?
I can't say that it couldn't have, and I don't. But what can I do with that knowledge? It isn't grounds for believing that such a thing actually happened, or that intelligence at that scale exists.

Why should I embrace that concept? I don't have need for a god, not psychologically, and not philosophically. If I did, I might follow you.

Fennario

#571762 Dec 10, 2012
God Himself wrote:
That quote does contain terms which allude to "belief in"; but my questions regarding "religious beliefs", I maid no mention about "believing in" anything; so I fail to see why you are differentiating believing in from believing that, in the context.
You seem confused. You said, ""aren't you essentially a BELIEVER in ToE?," and I answered that I believe things, but believe in nothing. I don't understand what the problem has been since then, or why you seem to want to back away from your question.
God Himself wrote:
"I don't trust the sincerity or the motives of posters who come back wearing new identities" either.

But since the value of a person's questions and responses has nothing to do with what name they are posting under; just get with it or get lost.
Of course the value of questions depends in part on the motives and sincerity of their author. As soon as I sense that a poster is playing games by morphing from sock to sock, I become less interested in what he has to say, and less willing to assume that he is posting in good faith. I interpret that behavior as a sign of trollery, meaning here to play disruptive ego games rather than to share ideas.

Why would you want to change names given the loss of credibility and esteem you suffer for it? Or were you unaware of that? I want to be recognized by other posters, both friendly and hostile. Why are you different?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 7 min River Tam 92,719
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 54 min MUQ2 286,086
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 57 min MUQ2 46,040
Israel End is Near (Feb '15) 1 hr MUQ2 1,101
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 hr truth 667,942
London TV viewers fixed on trump Inaugural process 3 hr truth 7
rajkot to chotila gey sex (Nov '15) 4 hr raj 37
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 7 hr lisw 183,629
More from around the web