|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't say all religious people, did I?
Funny thing is, when churches burn to the ground it's Christians doing the burning. Weird, huh?

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

Judged:

OCB wrote:
<quoted text>No- it is YOU who is blowing it out of proportion with your annoying whining about teachers not being allowed to display religious items in a PUBLIC school.
Do you think a science teacher who dismisses astrology in an astronomy class is violating the First Amendment?

Do you think that a teacher that calls creationism “superstitious nonsense" is also in violation?

Did you know that the 9th Circuit rejected the claim of a teacher who had put up patriotic banners in the classroom emphasizing references to God, but defended a teacher who called creationism “superstitious nonsense"?

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, sure....
And when that teacher has a Darwin fish and tells the students that the flat earth theory is nonsense, you'll be right there to get them fired.
WTF? What does this have to do with religious imagery in public schools? A darwin fish is not religious imagery. It is a joke, and if it supports anything it supports evolution. That's like saying that a teacher who displays the copernican solar system is displaying religious imagery.

And the flat earth theory is nonsense, so there's nothing wrong with telling students that.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

Judged:

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>A darwin fish, while it may be a little bit provocative, it not a religious symbol. It is a play on the ichthys, as I'm sure you know. It does not advocate any religion, and if it supports anything at all it supports a universally accepted scientific theory/fact. It's shorthand for "I support science."

You'd probably defend the teacher with the Darwin fish but not the Jesus fish, huh?

The Darwin disc is more than "I support science.", it's "I support science & want to mock Christians with their stupid fish."
And while preaching islam is certainly a step up from displaying religous imagery, they are still both of the same category, that is, support for a religion. In a public place funded by public money it is never appropriate to advocate any one religion. Doesn't displaying a crescent send the same message as preaching islam, albeit less forcefully? It's basically "I believe in this religion, and maybe you should too, and I have no problem obnoxiously displaying that sentiment for the world to see."

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a school teacher discussing religion in class.

It is terribly wrong if a teacher promotes or denegrates a religion in class.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you think a science teacher who dismisses astrology in an astronomy class is violating the First Amendment?
Do you think that a teacher that calls creationism “superstitious nonsense" is also in violation?
Did you know that the 9th Circuit rejected the claim of a teacher who had put up patriotic banners in the classroom emphasizing references to God, but defended a teacher who called creationism “superstitious nonsense"?
Well, creationism is superstitious nonsense. It does not belong in a science classroom just like astrology doesn't belong in a science classroom. That particular teacher could have been more respectful, but I don't know the context of the situation - maybe he was justified.

Would you be upset if someone called greek mythology superstitious nonsense? No religion deserves special treatment.

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

Judged:

boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
I have found it kind of depends on the intensity of the smell. Mild is nice. Rank is not. IMO.
tell RR

he is still buying caned fish

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

Judged:

Anagramanachronist wrote:
<quoted text>Funny thing is, when churches burn to the ground it's Christians doing the burning. Weird, huh?
uh-huh... Like this?

"Atheists are using a music video that celebrates the burning of churches..."

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stor...

Or this?

"Investigators have seized books on demons and atheism as well as rifles and knives from in a home linked to one of the men charged with setting an east Texas church on fire..."

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/news/faith/20...

There's thousands more.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

Judged:

Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. RR is now in your capable hands ..
you can have him, I dont want him,

he keeps peering at my ass.

are my jeans too tight?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

Judged:

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>WTF? What does this have to do with religious imagery in public schools? A darwin fish is not religious imagery. It is a joke, and if it supports anything it supports evolution. That's like saying that a teacher who displays the copernican solar system is displaying religious imagery.
And the flat earth theory is nonsense, so there's nothing wrong with telling students that.
Ya, the Darwin fish is a joke - a joke on Christians.

So you're ok with teachers denigrating religion?

Nice "separation".......

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, sure....
And when that teacher has a Darwin fish and tells the students that the flat earth theory is nonsense, you'll be right there to get them fired.
not if he can prove the fish is a science symbol and not a filthy christian one

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You'd probably defend the teacher with the Darwin fish but not the Jesus fish, huh?
The Darwin disc is more than "I support science.", it's "I support science & want to mock Christians with their stupid fish."
<quoted text>
There's absolutely nothing wrong with a school teacher discussing religion in class.
It is terribly wrong if a teacher promotes or denegrates a religion in class.
And you don't consider the prominent display of religious imagery promotion? Why are you splitting hairs now? No one is claiming that the simple discussion, in the form of a religious history/cultural lesson, is bad thing.

Depending on the context, I'm sure some people are attempting to be a little offensive with the darwin fish. But I believe that most of the time it is a simple case of a well known religious symbol being appropriated to make a point. If fundamentalist christians had not attempted to frame their ideology as being diametrically opposed to evolution, I doubt the darwin fish would have ever existed.

Would you be mad if a wiccan symbol was appropriated to make a scientific point?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

Anagramanachronist wrote:
<quoted text>Christians, Buddhists, Sikhs, Jews, Hindus and Atheists do not believe in Allah.
Christians, Buddhists, Sikhs, Jews, Muslims, and Atheists do not believe in Brahman.
Christians, Buddhists, Sikhs, Muslims, Hindus and Atheists do not believe in the Haskala.
Christians, Buddhists, Muslims, Hindus, Jews, and Atheists do not believe in Adi Granth.
Christians, Muslims, Hindus, Sikhs, Jews, and Atheists do not believe in Buddha.
Muslims, Hindus, Sikhs, Jews, and Buddhists do not believe in the Christ.
Atheists agree with the majority. Atheism wins.
and are the most tolerant, equality for all of the proven god beliefs

that there is an atheist philosophy

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I don't believe it either.
For that experiment we could use two tiolets, one for the guys and one for us girls, but coz guys are silly, they started using our tiolet and there was just piss everwhere.
Yh, I hate public tiolets, i only go if i really have to go. Even in the girls tiolets there's piss on the seats, it's like WFT? And why do people not flush? idiots, I tell ya!!!!
@Aura...awwwwwww so cute
@IANS.....hmmm, thank you for explaining to me in a very.......interesting way.:-)
People tend to not pay as much respect to public places as they would to their own homes, or these places get people who live on the street, and even a messy washroom is probably a luxury to them.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
tell RR
he is still buying caned fish
Hey Mr Intelligent, it's "canned"...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
not if he can prove the fish is a science symbol and not a filthy christian one
HA!

Such hypocrisy.

“I speak my mind”

Since: Sep 10

It hurts to bite my tongue

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
you did not tell her
that
her mother is in heaven?
No her mother told her she would see her again in heaven someday. She has told me she believes her mother is in heaven and that she's watching over her. I have been supportive of her belief, but I haven't told her anything nor have I encouraged anything.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

United in faith wrote:
<quoted text>
that is not true at all boots. Because Christians are Christians because they believe in Christ.
google it.
open a dictionary and read the definition of Christmas.
Why google it for heaven's sake, UIF, I have lived that life and lived in the culture all of my life, and I know what people do at Christmas time and what they don't do.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>And you don't consider the prominent display of religious imagery promotion?
No. Would a poster of a war movie promote warfare? Would McDonald's cup promote McDonald's?

Just having the cup doesn't promote McDonald's, but if the teacher preached about how good it tastes or how healthy it actually is, then that'd be promoting.
Why are you splitting hairs now? No one is claiming that the simple discussion, in the form of a religious history/cultural lesson, is bad thing.
Tell that to OCB. She want no religion in schools. Period.
Depending on the context, I'm sure some people are attempting to be a little offensive with the darwin fish. But I believe that most of the time it is a simple case of a well known religious symbol being appropriated to make a point. If fundamentalist christians had not attempted to frame their ideology as being diametrically opposed to evolution, I doubt the darwin fish would have ever existed.
As a Christian, I find the Darwin fish offensive. Just as I see an upside down cross offensive, or a burning cross.
Atheists took a well known, well respected Christian symbol of Jesus and bastardized it to make fun of "christards".
If they wanted to send a less insulting & arrogant message, they wouldn't have used the fish.
But as offensive as I find that Darwin fish, I'd support the teacher's right to display it.
Would you be mad if a wiccan symbol was appropriated to make a scientific point?
No. In fact, when I was in high school there was a "Christian group". The wiccans at the school wanted their own group but for some reason the school wouldn't allow it. After talking with my dad about it, he encouraged me to fight WITH the wiccans to get their own group started. Because its not fair or legal for Christians to have a group but not wiccans.
So I did. We had a few meetings, I rallied some support of the christian group (which I wasn't a part if) and we convinced the principal to allow it.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
If you're kid doesn't like it, it you don't like it, and you make the school force the teacher to remove the cross from above the door, who's rights are protected & who's rights have been challenged?
The rights of every citizen in the United States have been protected and it was the religionist that challenged those rights.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd like to see more transparency in our panty policy.
I expect to see your bid for President in the future, you'll have my vote.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••