Prove there's a god.
Huh

Arlington, TX

#571525 Dec 9, 2012
God Himself wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed, the standard that one uses will be effective against him also.
But you still have not answered my questions.
So, anyone that responds to you should then act as an ignorant a-hole with a locked-and-loaded god complex. Got it.
Huh

Arlington, TX

#571526 Dec 9, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
You say that like it's rare to find in the world. Assuming that it is correct, the right way to say that is, "America was the first to allow any religion and bar none." If freedom and from religion is a "cool thing about America," it's a cool thing about an awful lot of other countries, too.
<quoted text>
We see it differently. We say that the government doesn't have any business supporting religion in any way.That means no endorsements of religion or of one particular religion or denomination.
You've been using our currency as religious tracts for generations now. Justice demands that when the irreligious take control, they use the money to promote their views for an equal number of years. Every coin and bill could say, "We No Longer Trust In Gods." Only then would you understand how wrong you have been to be doing the opposite for so long, and why the money should contain no mention of religious subjects.
But humanists seem more interested in healing the gaping divisions caused by religion than in maintaining them, so they'll likely give you amnesty, not justice, and you'll likely scream bloody murder and play the victim, saying that we're imposing atheism on you even with that correction.
Excellent post.

Many of the same that falsely trump the 1950's edition of that paranoid screed to our bank notes as some sort of evidence that the Founders wanted a Jesus in every garage also decry the Masonic and Satanic symbolism on those same notes. Christians are weird.
Huh

Arlington, TX

#571527 Dec 9, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> It is a legit question. If atheism is true then one is equally as valid as another since it is man who determines right and wrong.
<quoted text> Don't blame others if they arrive at different conclusions than you do. If atheism is true then what makes you right when you say you serve people and people serve you? Why not people serve me and i take everything and give nothing? Under different circumstances that is what happened in history when atheism was embraced?
The next time you click your seatbelt, recognize the sound of atheism.
Huh

Arlington, TX

#571528 Dec 9, 2012
Just Results wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists are indeed chickens and their excrement.
vs.
Just Results wrote:
<quoted text>
I wonder how ridiculous unbelievers feel once they face Christ at their judgement?
Oh, the sad, ironic dichotomy of those two statements. Back to back even. Bwahahahahaha.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#571529 Dec 9, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Just because God is invisible to you doesn't mean He isn't real....
Here are several great thinker's takes on your AWOL (undetectable) god:

[1]“The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike”- Delos B. McKown

[2] "Water is two parts hydrogen and one part oxygen. What if someone says,“Well, that’s not how I choose to think about water.&#12539; All we can do is appeal to scientific values. And if he doesn’t share those values, the conversation is over. If someone doesn’t value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove they should value it? If someone doesn’t value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" - Sam Harris

[3] "Are there things in the Universe that we cannot know in the usual way of observing and measuring, but that we can know in some other way -- intuition, revelation, mad insight? If so, how can you know that what you know in these non-knowing ways is really so? Anything you know without knowing, others can know only through your flat statement without any proof other that 'I know!' All this leads to such madness that I, for one, am content with the knowable. That is enough to know." - Isaac Asimov

[4] "It is wrong for a man to say that he is certain of the objective truth of any proposition unless he can produce evidence which logically justifies that certainty." - Thomas Henry Huxley.

[5]“The god hypothesis is incoherent, causally inadequate, unsupported by any other line of evidence, inconsistent with what we do know about how the universe works, and also internally inconsistent in all religions. Gods are simply bad ideas that don't even deserve the dignity of being treated as an alternative explanation for anything.– PZ Myers

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#571530 Dec 9, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> It is a legit question. If atheism is true then one is equally as valid as another since it is man who determines right and wrong.
<quoted text> Don't blame others if they arrive at different conclusions than you do. If atheism is true then what makes you right when you say you serve people and people serve you? Why not people serve me and i take everything and give nothing? Under different circumstances that is what happened in history when atheism was embraced?
Woah cowboy , this sheer sayin..

"Under different circumstances that is what happened in history when atheism was embraced? "

Is completely wrong.

Because this sheer statement.

"Why not people serve me and i take everything and give nothing"

Is not embracing atheism , rather it is one person embracing his big ole greedy bear self. Gots nothing to do with embracing anything but greedy paws.

Know what I mean cow poke?
Huh

Arlington, TX

#571531 Dec 9, 2012
<quoted text>
One concept captures all you need to know about harmonious human society, and that is the Golden Rule. Your church may give it lip service, but it doesn't embody it. It embodies the opposite: intolerance, harsh judgment and excessive punishment, which is not the way anybody wants to be treated. According to Christians, their god will burn me forever for not worshiping him. How does that mesh with the Golden Rule?
If you want to see the Golden Rule embodied, look at the Affirmations of Humanism, which are all about tolerance, mutual support, justice, democracy, freedom, opportunity, and free inquiry, for example. That's how we wish to be treated by others, so, being fair and benevolent, that's how we choose to treat them.
We don't just talk the talk like the Christian church. We walk the walk, which is why we are so often in conflict with a homophobic, atheophobic, and sexually obsessed church that doesn't.
Harmony? Your church is responsible for an incredible amount of strife and suffering. Just this week I spoke with a woman in tears because her family has ostracized her for her atheism:
“There is a cost to deciding that you’re going to take Christianity on faith, and that is that when you run into folks like us who don’t believe it, you are compelled ... to think all kinds of horrific things about us, and come at us with these threats of eternal torment which draws an insurmountable line between us. We cannot be friends because of what you have decided to take on faith.”– Jeff Dee
The ethic of reciprocity exists in some manner in almost every historical society. The Christians screwed theirs up, however. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you is far inferior to do unto others as they would have you do unto them.
Huh

Arlington, TX

#571532 Dec 9, 2012
God Himself wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh yeah?
Well how is this for communication:
KARL444, you are so gay; you cant even thing straight!
Get the message?
Really? Why are Christians so strange?
Huh

Arlington, TX

#571533 Dec 9, 2012
God Himself wrote:
<quoted text>
Chaos out of chaos is certainly more logical than the idea of order out of chaos, i.e. everything with structure and form out of a "big bang".
Besides, it a heck of a lot more promising than the world suggested by evolution theory; at least a God night have mercy, but in a Godless world there is no hope nor chance.
You're misinformed and mentally ill. There is a synonym for that condition: Christian.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#571534 Dec 9, 2012
God Himself wrote:
<quoted text>
You should have no problems with self satisfaction; you dont believe in living according to the will of God, so the only person you are satisfying is yourself and your meaningless idea of an existence.
If there is no God, which no man has been able to prove exists, then how meaningful is a life devoted to a non-existent God, while putting that devotion before all other things in life, including treating those around you, who may not share your beliefs, as equal humans deserving of the same kind of treatment that you expect from others?

I will assume, unless you tell me differently, that you do not believe that the God that the majority of the world's believers follow, which may be many gods,but not the God of the Jews, Christians, and Muslims, exist(s). Are you therefore saying that the majority of the world's population that do not follow the above mentioned God of those 3 named faiths live a life of 'meaningless idea of existence'?

I would appreciate an honest answer to an honest question, as opposed to an attack on me, because though I am now an atheist, I could also be a Christian just testing you, or for that matter, since God hasn't been shown yet, so we can recognize Him, I could be God himself testing you.

Perhaps also I am trying to seek out those who have adult minds here rather than primitive pre-schooler levels of thinking. No offense to pre-schoolers, but they usually do not have the depth of knowledge nor the capability of thinking to the extent that an older mature adult might have. If you go back far enough, they cannot even communicate verbally.

Taken according to your comment about not believing in living according to the will of God, can you honestly say that you have not disobeyed, or broken, at least 100 of the alleged 600 plus commands of God throughout the Bible, and if so how do you justify that? No one can be perfect, but breaking 100 of God's rules seems a might imperfect to me.

The only parent that I can truthfully say that has had his disobedient child put to death (by stoning according to the Bible, though this parent did it by drowning apparently) is now in prison in Canada where he will more than likely die as a prisoner (formerly from Afghanistan killed 3 daughters and his first wife due to one or more of his 3 teenage daughters' disobedience). Apparently this man did what he honestly believed was the right thing to do according to his beliefs, yet the law in Canada did not agree with his reasoning.

Can you imagine how much those legal people will be tortured in Hell for punishing a man for following his belief in God?

Fennario

#571535 Dec 9, 2012
Huh wrote:
Excellent post.
Thanks.
Huh wrote:
Many of the same that falsely trump the 1950's edition of that paranoid screed to our bank notes as some sort of evidence that the Founders wanted a Jesus in every garage also decry the Masonic and Satanic symbolism on those same notes. Christians are weird.
Agreed. There's no victim like a Christian victim.

Fennario

#571536 Dec 9, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
as we speak (so to speak), nobody can prove any inerrancy of the Bible.
No one can convince another person of that which he has a stake in not believing. One cannot convince anybody of anything without their cooperation, without their willingness to be convinced by a convincing argument, without their consent to impartially evaluate an argument and consider it on its merits. This of course is the definition of open mindedness.

Not surprisingly, we are unaffected by the protestations of those that are committed to resisting unflattering or contradictory evidence, especially when they are the only ones making the claim, which includes such things as your claim of biblical inerrancy, or your church's agenda driven rejection of evolutionary science.

Fennario

#571537 Dec 9, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
The Bible can't simply be read, it has to be studied.
Studying it is how one can come to reject that bible and the god it describes that also allegedly authored it. One might overlook its myriad contradictions with just a casual reading.

Fennario

#571538 Dec 9, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Believe me, I have look beyond what I was taught, indoctrinated, to believe.
But didn't look very far. Didn't you just post that you believe that your bible is or might be inerrant?

RiversideRedneck worte: "as we speak (so to speak), nobody can prove any inerrancy of the Bible."
RiversideRedneck wrote:
This is why I beieve that some of the major & well known stories of the Bible are allegorical or metaphorical, at best.
One can't help but notice that you only modify your indoctrination where it serves your preference to believe, as when calling biblical error "allegory" or "metaphor."

I'll bet that you're as fully indoctrinated in your antiscientific attitudes as you are in you are in your bold assertion that no errors have been found in your bible.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
A conclusion without evidence? hmmm... Like Darwin's theory that all life on Earth share a common ancestor?
Welcome to the Matrix.

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#571539 Dec 9, 2012
<quoted text>
Assuming that you mean Jehovah-Jesus when you say "God," none of those is beyond the scrutiny of reason.
The god of the Christian bible is easily ruled out.
Reason can help you understand that if we really live in a universe run by a god that created Satan and hell, and is willing to toss the bulk of human souls into that monster's dungeon and keep us alive forever just to suffer endlessly for no apparent reason, then were all pretty fooked anyway. So enjoy your life while you can rather than living it in fear.
Notice by the way that the universe imagined by Christians is infinitely less hospitable to man than the one skeptics see. People talk about how comforting religion is. But it only comforts the anxiety it creates, like a cigarette.
If you consider the universe, in general, as "hospitable" you are demented.

Location hidden

#571540 Dec 9, 2012
Forget the "if", you've always been crazy.
Huh

Arlington, TX

#571541 Dec 9, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>If you consider the universe, in general, as "hospitable" you are demented.
The majority of the Earth is inhospitable.

Fennario

#571542 Dec 9, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
So you think that atheists often go to college & earn Theological degrees & spend 20, 30, 40 years of their lives studying the Bible?
Trust me, you're wrong. My dad has a Th.M. and my grandpa had a M.Div. They're very hard to get.
Just because you study something intensely doesn't make it academic. People study Star Trek culture and the Klingon language intensively, but it doesn't make it scholarship.

Theological degrees are like degrees in homeopathy or reflexology. Try these people:

"Online Reflexology Certification and Certificate Program Information" http://education-portal.com/articles/Online_R...

Studying the bible as the word of a god rather than as the dominant mythology of Western culture is not academic because, like homeopathy and reflexology, your bible is not grounded in reality. It's also supported only by faith, and like homeopathy and reflexology, doesn't belong in universities.

You could study Pokemon or Disney just as hard as you study Jesus, and it would be just as nonacademic and just as sterile. In fact, here's a proposal for a M.Dis.(masters in Disneyology) thesis focusing on the spine chilling accuracy of Disneic prophecy. Walt saw Abu Ghraib coming :

[1a][Disneic prophecy] http://snipurl.com/108iuq [image]
[1b][The news] http://snipurl.com/25tn3rc [image]

[2a][Disneic prophecy] http://snipurl.com/25tn47m
[2b][The news] http://snipurl.com/25tn4eu [image]

This is what bible "study" is like. The bible is equally insubstantial, and a M.Div is worth about the same as a M.Dis.

Location hidden

#571543 Dec 9, 2012
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>The majority of the Earth is inhospitable.
Der. We humans can only survive within a very narrow range of temperatures and pressures that exist in this universe. I'm guessing he forgot about how the Voyagers are unmanned and no manned missions are planned beyond our moon and space station because our bodies can't take prolonged exposure to high energy radiation and zero gravity.
He does seem to be suffering under the delusion that the universe is benign in some way.

Fennario

#571544 Dec 9, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Yes, but where's the record that all life came from a common ancestor, as Darwin suggests.
It's in the fossils and biochemistry, for starters. The evidence for the theory is everywhere. It's also in the comparative morphology of various organism, their embryology, and in biogeographical phenomena such as ring species

Darwin's central thesis, namely that the relatedness, diversity, complexity, and adaptability of all life on earth arose naturalistically from a single common ancestral microbial population through descent by modification over deep time due to biological variation, trait heritablity, and natural selection - is immovably established, and has been for several decades.

Damaging as it may be to the nation, the dissent of Christians is of no scientific import.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 1 min ImPeach 26,010
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 7 min Here For Now 619,748
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 7 min Anthony MN 685,729
Why it's time for Donald Trump to RESIGN...in d... 59 min Doctor REALITY 26
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 1 hr ChromiuMan 6,448
David Duke: "We're going to take our country ba... 1 hr Doctor REALITY 52
sex crime time to tell 4 hr Coco4u 1
More from around the web