OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

Since: Apr 12

Orlando but NYC born & raised

#571095 Dec 7, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
What?!?
Did you read the posts where I said a teacher can have a Christian cross, a Jewish star, a Muslim crescent, etc & that I'd defend their right to do so?
No, you didn't.
I read it- so what? That doesn't change the fact that on numerous occasions you have erroneously declared that the USA is a Christian nation.

Doesn't matter though- as it stands, teachers are not permitted to display ANY religious items in their classrooms.

I'm sorry that bothers you so much. Send your kids to private or parochial school.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#571096 Dec 7, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The topic wasn't centered on a cross hung over a door in school, that was an example.
The topic is whether or not public school teachers can have religious decorations in the classroom.
Not if they should, but legally can they.
I understand what you're saying & I'd typically agree that religious decorations are best kept to oneself, like a necklace.
But a teacher has no legal reason to not put up religious decorations in the class.
If you're kid doesn't like it, it you don't like it, and you make the school force the teacher to remove the cross from above the door, who's rights are protected & who's rights have been challenged?
In a private school, you would be right. But teachers who work for public schools - funded and endorsed by the government - do not have the right to display religious imagery. I'm sure in many places you could get away with it, but that doesn't make it right. It gives the impression that a certain religion is being endorsed by the government to the exclusion of all others. I know for a fact that if we were talking about a teacher hanging a giant muslim crescent in his room, or a quran displayed prominently on his desk, you would not be defending him.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#571097 Dec 7, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The topic wasn't centered on a cross hung over a door in school, that was an example.
The topic is whether or not public school teachers can have religious decorations in the classroom.
Not if they should, but legally can they.
I understand what you're saying & I'd typically agree that religious decorations are best kept to oneself, like a necklace.
But a teacher has no legal reason to not put up religious decorations in the class.
If you're kid doesn't like it, it you don't like it, and you make the school force the teacher to remove the cross from above the door, who's rights are protected & who's rights have been challenged?
No- legally, they can NOT. How many times must you be told this?

A teacher does have a legal reason to not put up religious decorations in class- it is not ALLOWED. Doesn't mean the teacher would get carted off to jail for doing so, but it very likely means they would be reprimanded and told to take the items down or to put them out of sight and if they didn't, they would very likely be fired.

What would be the real purpose of a teacher displaying items of their religious preference anyway?

What is the point and to what end?

They have homes, they have churches, they have their cars, etc. If they are so determined to display religious items they can do so in any of those places without any fear of reprimand.

This is a bit like what we were discussing regarding doctor's offices although of course, those being on private property, the doctors can display or have whatever they like in their offices.

The similarity is that I don't go to a doctor because of his religious beliefs and kids don't go to public schools to learn about their teacher's religious beliefs.

People go to doctors for treatment and children go to school to learn from a curriculum that is approved by the state.

The religious beliefs of doctors is irrelevant and has nothing to do with why people go to doctors just as a teacher's religious beliefs are irrelevant and have nothing to do with why children go to school.

Teachers are not losing the right to display religious items in their classrooms since it is a right that does not exist.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#571098 Dec 7, 2012
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
they were a few posts back when you wanted to say that christians were charitable, you listed the catholic contribution, calling them christian.
dishonest troll
I did not, you liar.

I said religious people are generous then gave you proof of what Catholics do.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#571099 Dec 7, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>In a private school, you would be right. But teachers who work for public schools - funded and endorsed by the government - do not have the right to display religious imagery. I'm sure in many places you could get away with it, but that doesn't make it right. It gives the impression that a certain religion is being endorsed by the government to the exclusion of all others. I know for a fact that if we were talking about a teacher hanging a giant muslim crescent in his room, or a quran displayed prominently on his desk, you would not be defending him.
I really don't think many teachers- if any at all- would get away with a display of any religious items in their classrooms- nor should they.

Our public schools are secular institutions and the children who attend those schools have the constitutional right to a secular education.

If the parents of children want their kids to have religious instruction and religious indoctrination, they have the right to send their kids to a private or parochial school.

And those who support our public education system- the tax payers- have the right to know that their dollars are not being used to promote or teach any religious instruction or indoctrination.

RR is having a real problem with our separation of church and state.

And that IS his problem- it is NOT the problem of tax payers or those who choose to send their children to public schools.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#571100 Dec 7, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Not in a situation that might imply government endorsement, for example, a publicly funded school.
And let's be serious, you would lose your mind if your son's teacher proudly displayed a muslim crescent.
No I wouldn't. I don't care at all.

What is get pissed about is if that teacher starred preaching Islam in class, as everyone should.

I don't get pissed at the teachers that have no religious decorations.

I didn't get pissed at my sons science teacher a few years ago when he had a Darwin fish in the wall. That's his right and I'd defend him to keep that right even though I disagree.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#571101 Dec 7, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you.
Well said.
Can't wait to hear RR's indignant response.
Thank you.

I imagine it'll be off the subject by just enough so as to appear as if he has a point.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#571102 Dec 7, 2012
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>I read it- so what? That doesn't change the fact that on numerous occasions you have erroneously declared that the USA is a Christian nation.
Doesn't matter though- as it stands, teachers are not permitted to display ANY religious items in their classrooms.
I'm sorry that bothers you so much. Send your kids to private or parochial school.
No you didn't read it.

America is more a Christian nation than any other religion. That's why Christian stuff is all over our buildings, courthouses, school, etc.

Stuff it

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#571103 Dec 7, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Because most religious people are pretty tolerant of other religions, whereas atheists are intolerant of all religions.
Yeah- like "Just Results" who posts their hatred and anger here is tolerant of other religions, huh?

What about the many who have been here who have told people if they don't accept your Jesus they are going to burn in "hell" and that they are "sinners"?

You think such intolerance is only to be found on Topix?

Au contraire, mon frere........

You do recall the article I posted earlier this week about a Menorah being destroyed outside of a temple along with words such as: You killed Christ and "kikes", right?

You think that was an isolated incident? Think again.

Sorry, RR- I find the majority of Christians to be quite insufferable and really very intolerant with their "holier-than-thou" attitude.

I don't know of ANY atheists desecrating property or any religious icons or displays. Not saying it can't happen or never has, but if so, with far less frequency than hate crimes by what you call "religious people".

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#571104 Dec 7, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
But it's not the law.
You fundamentalist atheists don't understand that.
Why would you want a nativity scene taken down?
for the same reason people are expected to pick up after their dogs.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#571105 Dec 7, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>In a private school, you would be right. But teachers who work for public schools - funded and endorsed by the government - do not have the right to display religious imagery. I'm sure in many places you could get away with it, but that doesn't make it right. It gives the impression that a certain religion is being endorsed by the government to the exclusion of all others. I know for a fact that if we were talking about a teacher hanging a giant muslim crescent in his room, or a quran displayed prominently on his desk, you would not be defending him.
Your fact is wrong.

I'd disagree with the Muslim in the religion but I'd defend their American right to have that Quran sitting there.

Who's talking about a giant crescent? Oh ya, you. You're blowing it out of proportion.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#571106 Dec 7, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I did not, you liar.
I said religious people are generous then gave you proof of what Catholics do.
So you despise Catholics when it's convenient for you and you will go so far as to erroneously state that Catholics are not Christian, but when it suits your agenda, you support what Catholics do, huh?

Maybe someday you'll realize that straddling the fence isn't the best place to be.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#571107 Dec 7, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No you didn't read it.
America is more a Christian nation than any other religion. That's why Christian stuff is all over our buildings, courthouses, school, etc.
Stuff it
I DID read it. So STFU.

Sorry bub- Christian stuff is NOT all over our PUBLIC schools!

What is WRONG with you???

And not my problem that you will never get that the majority of people being Christian does NOT translate into the USA being a Christian nation any more than the majority of people being white translates into the USA being a WHITE nation.

America is a SECULAR nation. Period. End of story.

And it's not MY problem that you can't grasp that it is that very secularism which allows for ALL Americans to practice any religion they choose to as well as the choice to practice no religion at all.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#571108 Dec 7, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Your fact is wrong.
I'd disagree with the Muslim in the religion but I'd defend their American right to have that Quran sitting there.
Who's talking about a giant crescent? Oh ya, you. You're blowing it out of proportion.
No- it is YOU who is blowing it out of proportion with your annoying whining about teachers not being allowed to display religious items in a PUBLIC school.

Location hidden

#571109 Dec 7, 2012
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would you take any quotes out of a book that you do not believe in? Obviously the Bible was not written by God, it was written by man. As were all of the holy books in this world.
There are many different religions, Christian only one and although many don't understand where many of the traditions that we follow today come from (like the tree for Christians), that doesn't mean that the religions are not a good thing to have in our world. It also does not prove there is not a God. Science can explain a lot, but not everything.
an honest person would register

I see you are a christian

Location hidden

#571110 Dec 7, 2012
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
as an attachment to the gay marriage legislation, maybe you LGBTers should include 'no urinal wing' language so you'll be able to gawk at penis' better
I have one, I need not gawk

talk to RR, he gets boners when he is around naked men

you will like him

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#571111 Dec 7, 2012
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>No- legally, they can NOT. How many times must you be told this?
A teacher does have a legal reason to not put up religious decorations in class- it is not ALLOWED. Doesn't mean the teacher would get carted off to jail for doing so, but it very likely means they would be reprimanded and told to take the items down or to put them out of sight and if they didn't, they would very likely be fired.
What would be the real purpose of a teacher displaying items of their religious preference anyway?
What is the point and to what end?
They have homes, they have churches, they have their cars, etc. If they are so determined to display religious items they can do so in any of those places without any fear of reprimand.
This is a bit like what we were discussing regarding doctor's offices although of course, those being on private property, the doctors can display or have whatever they like in their offices.
The similarity is that I don't go to a doctor because of his religious beliefs and kids don't go to public schools to learn about their teacher's religious beliefs.
People go to doctors for treatment and children go to school to learn from a curriculum that is approved by the state.
The religious beliefs of doctors is irrelevant and has nothing to do with why people go to doctors just as a teacher's religious beliefs are irrelevant and have nothing to do with why children go to school.
Teachers are not losing the right to display religious items in their classrooms since it is a right that does not exist.
Ok, sure....

And when that teacher has a Darwin fish and tells the students that the flat earth theory is nonsense, you'll be right there to get them fired.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#571112 Dec 7, 2012
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>I really don't think many teachers- if any at all- would get away with a display of any religious items in their classrooms- nor should they.
Our public schools are secular institutions and the children who attend those schools have the constitutional right to a secular education.
If the parents of children want their kids to have religious instruction and religious indoctrination, they have the right to send their kids to a private or parochial school.
And those who support our public education system- the tax payers- have the right to know that their dollars are not being used to promote or teach any religious instruction or indoctrination.
RR is having a real problem with our separation of church and state.
And that IS his problem- it is NOT the problem of tax payers or those who choose to send their children to public schools.
I dunno. I imagine in some of the more religious areas of the US, things like that wouldn't really raise any eyebrows.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#571113 Dec 7, 2012
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah- like "Just Results" who posts their hatred and anger here is tolerant of other religions, huh?
What about the many who have been here who have told people if they don't accept your Jesus they are going to burn in "hell" and that they are "sinners"?
You think such intolerance is only to be found on Topix?
Au contraire, mon frere........
You do recall the article I posted earlier this week about a Menorah being destroyed outside of a temple along with words such as: You killed Christ and "kikes", right?
You think that was an isolated incident? Think again.
Sorry, RR- I find the majority of Christians to be quite insufferable and really very intolerant with their "holier-than-thou" attitude.
I don't know of ANY atheists desecrating property or any religious icons or displays. Not saying it can't happen or never has, but if so, with far less frequency than hate crimes by what you call "religious people".
I didn't say all religious people, did I?

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#571114 Dec 7, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Because most religious people are pretty tolerant of other religions, whereas atheists are intolerant of all religions.
Christians, Buddhists, Sikhs, Jews, Hindus and Atheists do not believe in Allah.

Christians, Buddhists, Sikhs, Jews, Muslims, and Atheists do not believe in Brahman.

Christians, Buddhists, Sikhs, Muslims, Hindus and Atheists do not believe in the Haskala.

Christians, Buddhists, Muslims, Hindus, Jews, and Atheists do not believe in Adi Granth.

Christians, Muslims, Hindus, Sikhs, Jews, and Atheists do not believe in Buddha.

Muslims, Hindus, Sikhs, Jews, and Buddhists do not believe in the Christ.

Atheists agree with the majority. Atheism wins.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate 3 min emperorjohn 1,976
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 36 min sangili karuppan 7,494
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr Student 40,866
"Children of DISOBIENCE": U R of your FATHER...... 1 hr Child of Set 3
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 1 hr dollarsbill 6,454
i am board dose anyone want to talk? 1 hr Child of Set 27
Stop - DON'T OPEN THIS POST 1 hr Child of Set 4
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 4 hr Peace_Warrior 612,900
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 hr Liam 599,552
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 15 hr Pegasus 272,404
More from around the web