OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

Since: Apr 12

Orlando but NYC born & raised

#571053 Dec 7, 2012
Karma is a_______ wrote:
<quoted text>
so what you are saying is that private property owners don't have a right to decide what can be displayed on their property?
what's next, private property owners can't decide what to use their property for?
you sound like a commie, where the state decides how property is to be used.
RR is only a commie if the state decides the property should be used to promote Christianity which he is all for.

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#571054 Dec 7, 2012
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
No it doesn't. The teacher has not lost the right to practice his or her religion. There is nothing within Christianity that says or demands that a cross or any component of Christianity be displayed in a public school classroom in the United States.
<quoted text> The school belongs to the public, the teachers civil rights are upheld and protected within the protection offered to the public.
Within that, the rights of the public, being comprised of each citizen of the U.S. is assured and guaranteed that each person can have any religious belief they choose, or not choose.
If the teacher wants to display a cross over the doorway, they can and should do it at home, on their personal property etc... Not in a public school.
When a teacher does display his or her religious preference, AS A PART of the school(cross or another religious icon installed over a doorway, for instance), then they have violated my rights to expect that my child will not be placed in a religious influenced environment, that I did not agree to.
How do you feel about female teachers wearing panties with religious texts printed on the waistband, where it will sometimes peak out and become visible?

I, for one, would demand an immediate removal of those panties!

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#571055 Dec 7, 2012
NoStress4me wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would a teacher hang a cross above their door at school? You are talking about teachers that are teaching students 18 years or younger that are enrolled in the public school system?
The first amendment.
No PUBLIC school teacher would. They wouldn't display a Star of David in their classroom either- not if they wanted to keep their job.

The thing is that RR is trying to re-write the Constitution. Not sure why since he claims to be such a good and patriotic American.

“Are you a Problem or Solution?”

Since: Mar 09

Ann Arbor, MI

#571056 Dec 7, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Here we are again.
"For a teacher to hang a cross over a classroom door is against the law "
WHAT LAW?!?!?!?!?
“According to the Supreme Court, the First Amendment requires that public school students never be given the impression that their school officially sanctions religion in general or prefers a specific faith in particular. Further, students must never feel coerced by peer or public pressure into adhering to the dictates of any religion.”

http://www.adl.org/issue_religious_freedom/se...

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#571057 Dec 7, 2012
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>The teacher, being an employee of the govt., and by way of extension, represents the govt., is establishing a religion by displaying a religious preference in that setting.
The classroom doesn't belong to the teacher, the school does not belong to the staff.
A public school is a commonly held and shared interest of the public, funded by the public, and the public has no single religion that is universal in scope.
Within the context of the public and what that encompasses, per - the Constitution - a teacher putting in place his or her personal religious beliefs, by using specific religious icons or decorations, literature, or making those personal beliefs a focal point of a class filled by 'the public", violates the no establishment precept and intent, and that is unconstitutional.
Teacher: May I, as a teacher, keep a Bible on or in my desk?

There is no court case addressing this issue in particular, but in the interest of promoting an atmosphere of fairness and respect, it may be a good idea for teachers to keep any personal devotional items out of sight and to read them only when students are not present. Otherwise, Bibles may be in the room for instructional use, as well as Qur'ans and other religious texts.

http://www.firstfreedom.org/education/CRC-FAQ...

As I understand it, it's not illegal for a teacher to have religious icons in class, it's just not advised.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#571058 Dec 7, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Public schools are funded by property tax, not your insignificant sales tax on bongs.
I pay property tax.

Too.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#571059 Dec 7, 2012
NoStress4me wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would a teacher hang a cross above their door at school? You are talking about teachers that are teaching students 18 years or younger that are enrolled in the public school system?
The first amendment.
The first amendment protects all, not just the irreligious.
Phil

Saint Louis, MO

#571060 Dec 7, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
But forcing the teachers to take down any religious decorations is also a violation if the constitution and is therefore, against the law.
Not if it's a public school. I'm all for each person having their own beliefs, but unless it's on your body (like a cross on a necklace)...I don't feel that it belongs in a classroom. Having religious freedom also means having many religious restrictions...meaning, there is not one religion that takes precedence over another when it comes to ones own beliefs. You can't just push out your own religious propaganda...especially if you are a teacher in a public classroom!

Kinda like politics...believe what you want, but if you're a teacher you might not want to hang a picture of the elephant or donkey in your classroom.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#571061 Dec 7, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you assume that religious people have to hide their religion?
I our homes & churches. Nowhere else.
Screw you! As an American I can praise God ANYWHERE I WANT!
And you can't do a damn thing about it!
We can always look at you like the fool you are.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#571062 Dec 7, 2012
shahid afridi wrote:
<quoted text>
still you are on your same thinking,no problem friend i will pray for you that you start believing on a god soon.
I have no problem with that. Do all the praying you want to. I have a sister-in-law who is Muslim and prays a lot too, and I have a friend online who I wrote today actually who is Muslim. It is a free world, or at least where I live it is.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#571063 Dec 7, 2012
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>No it's not a violation of the constitution. A PUBLIC school is funded by tax payer dollars and is a 100% secular institution.
Of course, you haven't stopped to consider that not allowing teachers to display religious items may also benefit the teacher as well as the school; who is to say a parent wouldn't bring a law suit against a public school and/or the teacher due to the teacher only displaying religious items from THEIR religion of choice?
Anyway, teachers aren't forced to take down anything assuming they followed the rules and didn't put anything up to begin with.
The atheist rule: Sue. That'll teach 'em!

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#571064 Dec 7, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
How do you feel about female teachers wearing panties with religious texts printed on the waistband, where it will sometimes peak out and become visible?
Just how much would be visible, and where?

OH, the waistband...
Tide with Beach wrote:
I, for one, would demand an immediate removal of those panties!
Agreed, immediately and on the spot.

Also, once an assessment has been made, they may or may not be replaced by appropriately sized and secular panties(thong etc...).

What a wonderful union it is.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#571065 Dec 7, 2012
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>Good- tell every doctor's office, every other place where race is asked on a form that they are ignorant because under race, it will state Caucasian as a choice with (white) usually next to Caucasian in parentheses.
But Caucasian isn't white.

That's fact.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#571066 Dec 7, 2012
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>RR is only a commie if the state decides the property should be used to promote Christianity which he is all for.
lol

I'm convinced that none of ya know how to read.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#571067 Dec 7, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You're nuts.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#571068 Dec 7, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
BTW, who says a parent who might sue the teacher or the school is necessarily an atheist?

It could a person of a different religion offended that there are items of the Christian religion in the classroom but not those of other religions.

At any rate, you're still nuts.

Since: Apr 09

Elmont, Long Island NY

#571069 Dec 7, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
What?! No that's not what I'm saying at all!
I said the atheist whined about the Christmas tree and somehow got his way.
Private property owners can do whatever they want on their property, lawfully of course.
That senior home owner had every right to keep the tree up. That's the atheist bullshit if the story! They felt threatened into taking it down.
no that is exactly what you are saying
A PRIVATE PROPERTY OWNER DOES NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO DECIDE WHAT TO DISPLAY ON HIS PROPERTY

in the end, for what ever reasons, the private property owner decided not to display the Christmas tree, no law, no court decided for him

do you understand that concept

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#571070 Dec 7, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
lol
I'm convinced that none of ya know how to read.
We ALL know how to read- not sure that you do though.

“Are you a Problem or Solution?”

Since: Mar 09

Ann Arbor, MI

#571071 Dec 7, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The first amendment protects all, not just the irreligious.
LOL, you seem to be missing the point.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#571072 Dec 7, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
But Caucasian isn't white.
That's fact.
But white is Caucasian. That is also a fact.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 4 min HipGnosis 442,578
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 5 min rbphoenix80 98,911
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 9 min truthandcommonsense 3,018
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 9 min HipGnosis 176,423
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 16 min Tango Bravo 583,146
Bias & Ignorant Christians 16 min Kid_Tomorrow 9
Men with painted toenails (Jul '14) 18 min Panty master 4
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 31 min Remnant of 144000 611,781
More from around the web