“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#570202 Dec 6, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
My little brother, his wife & 5 kids feast off a Santa.
That sounds unhygienic.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#570204 Dec 6, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
A devout, fundie Christian can't be MY doctor. Who's the pathologist with an IP address in North Dakota that posts on some of these threads. He doesn't trust science, and knows very little.
I would never let a religious doctor know that I was a skeptic. I doubt that he would kill me, but I would expect him to discriminate against me, maybe with pain or other comfort medication. So, I would tell him that I was born again.
That could backfire, too, if he though he was sending me to bliss. Then I might wind up dead.
Also, I want somebody with a leader mentality, not a lamb from a flock.
The best bet is to avoid religious physicians altogether.
With a Christian dentist, you're fine if you wear a cross or give him a "Praise the Lord!" or two. Can you imagine having Just Results as your dentist, and confiding in him that you were a skeptic? He'd drill up through your hard palate.
You must've misunderstood the question, lets try again.

So you think a Christian can't be a dentist, doctor or scientist?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#570205 Dec 6, 2012
<quoted text>
That sounds unhygienic.
Ya, they get the red & white fibers stuck in their teeth....

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#570206 Dec 6, 2012
Botz r us wrote:
Why are you spreading pictures of little girls?

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

Since: Apr 12

Orlando but NYC born & raised

#570207 Dec 6, 2012
<quoted text>
A devout, fundie Christian can't be MY doctor. Who's the pathologist with an IP address in North Dakota that posts on some of these threads. He doesn't trust science, and knows very little.
I would never let a religious doctor know that I was a skeptic. I doubt that he would kill me, but I would expect him to discriminate against me, maybe with pain or other comfort medication. So, I would tell him that I was born again.
That could backfire, too, if he though he was sending me to bliss. Then I might wind up dead.
Also, I want somebody with a leader mentality, not a lamb from a flock.
The best bet is to avoid religious physicians altogether.
With a Christian dentist, you're fine if you wear a cross or give him a "Praise the Lord!" or two. Can you imagine having Just Results as your dentist, and confiding in him that you were a skeptic? He'd drill up through your hard palate.
I've been to quite a few doctors in my 58 years.

Some were white, some were black, some Indian. NEVER have I seen ANY sort of religious material of ANY kind in ANY doctor's office I've been in- and that includes dentists as well.

I also have never had a doctor talk to me about religion, or god or what religion I am or ANYTHING having ANYTHING to do with religion.

That is totally IRRELEVANT as to why I go to doctors just as it is totally IRRELEVANT as to the services doctors offer.

I think doctors and patients discussing their religious affiliations is totally inappropriate and IRRELEVANT as to why people go to doctors or why doctors treat people.

Would I continue to see a doctor if he has religious stuff in his office? Yes- assuming I was satisfied with his skills, experience and knowledge as a HEALTH CARE practitioner.

Would I continue to see a doctor if he tried to sell me on his religious beliefs or ask inappropriate questions about MY religious beliefs- which is NONE of their BUSINESS just as their religious beliefs are none of MY business?

Probably not. Such unprofessional and inappropriate behavior would have me starting to question their MEDICAL expertise and I would find such discussion to be a loathsome "bedside manner".

When all is said and done, people go to doctors for MEDICAL TREATMENT- not for any sort of religious counseling or discussions about religion or our respective religious beliefs.

And when all is said and done, doctors treat people to cure them of physical ailments as well as to provide preventive care and not to discuss ANYTHING of an IRRELEVANT personal nature with their patients.

The religious beliefs of patients are IRRELEVANT unless the patient is opposed to a particular treatment based on their religious beliefs.

In such cases, it is then the responsibility of the PATIENT to disclose their religious beliefs if they are refusing treatment their doctor recommends.

That is the ONLY circumstance in which it would be deemed appropriate for a doctor to discuss religion with their patient and of course, that would be the PATIENT bringing up the topic- NOT the doctor.

If there are people who think the religion of their doctor matters, why not include the bagger at their local supermarket and every other person they conduct business with or rely on to provide services- like their mechanic, their pest control guy, etc?
Evo-Lotion is Rub-ish

Kingston, Jamaica

#570208 Dec 6, 2012
<quoted text>
What are you saying here? That random input always yields random output? If so, that is incorrect. Consider a ratchet wheel http://www.technologystudent.com/cams/ratch1.... Random turns of the crank will not result in random motions of the wheel. Differential selection is at play, and only counterclockwise torques are translated into movement, all of which is in one direction.
Do you know what a rectifier is in electronics? From Wiki:
"A rectifier is an electrical device that converts alternating current (AC), which periodically reverses direction, to direct current (DC), which flows in only one direction"
This is a differential selection process as well.
Consider mathematical squaring of a number. It converts all numbers into positive numbers.
These are all the actions of a unidirectional selection process - a bias - differentially selecting, and converting an much more variable input into a more predictable output. Where did the accidents go?
I have checked that link and it mentions nothing about differential selection (though the concept may apply to a certain degree).

I find your analogy to the ratchet wheel to be quite inadequate and absolutely irrelevant.

THE RATCHET WHEEL IS specifically and INTENTIONALLY DESIGNED to operate that way; you are arguing that THE PROCESSES OF NATURE ARE UNAIDED BY or independent of INTELLIGENCE or DELIBERATE INPUT by the intelligent.

Ratchet wheel = Intelligent design

Natural processes =/= Intelligent design (according to you anyway)

Is there anything in nature that works like ratchet wheel as it relates to evolution and natural selection? Where is it? What is it? How was it discovered?

Furthermore I found nothing regarding "differential selction"; however I did find something about "selection differential". But "selection differential" has more to do with a smethod of analysing statistics than a natural process.

"selection differential: The difference between the average value of a quantitative character in the whole population and the average value of those selected to reproduce the next generation."
[http://www.encyclopedia.com/d oc/1O7-selectiondifferential.h tml]

WTF does that have to do with ratchet handles and randomly generated events?
Evo-Lotion is Rub-ish

Kingston, Jamaica

#570209 Dec 6, 2012
<quoted text>
I don't follow this argument. Why wouldn't biological evolution proceed once a population of biological replicators was established? You seem to be saying that something like a boulder should outcompete something like a rabbit because the rabbit is fragile and mortal. Is that correct?
I am saying that something like a boulder is outcompeting a rabit because the rabit is fragile and mortal.

Thats exactly my point.

What is alive will die no matter how "fit" it becomes, but the dead will never die.

What is the source or cause of this 'philobiological'(life loving) force/influence that gives rise to the living, when the inanimate are more durable?

Fennario

#570210 Dec 6, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
Yer an idiot if you think a legless, armless, yet fertile halfwit is "fit".
Is this more of your victimhood crap? You probably should seek validation elsewhere.

Fennario

#570211 Dec 6, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
Oh look! It's the self-pitying, persecuted *doktor* who claims I interfere with his "publishing process".
What are you babbling about now? What publishing process? How could you affect me or impact any aspect of my life in any way other than to provoke nausea?

As for feeling persecuted, hardly. I am the luckiest man I know. If you saw my life, you would end yours.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#570212 Dec 6, 2012
<quoted text>
What are you babbling about now? What publishing process? How could you affect me or impact any aspect of my life in any way other than to provoke nausea?
As for feeling persecuted, hardly. I am the luckiest man I know. If you saw my life, you would end yours.
But nano doesn't babble- nano SPEWS.

Of course, the end result is still the same- whether babbling or spewing, when nano opens his/her/its mouth to speak, only nonsense utters forth.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#570213 Dec 6, 2012
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#570214 Dec 6, 2012
What are you babbling about now? What publishing process? How could you affect me or impact any aspect of my life?
Put a Bible in your exam room.

Fennario

#570215 Dec 6, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
What does tuna oh tuna mean? I don't get it!
Perhaps this will help:

A blind carpenter walks into a lumber mill and shouts out, "I am a blind carpenter and I need a job."

The foreman walks over to the blind carpenter and says, "If you're blind, how can you work in a lumber yard?"

The blind carpenter says, "I can tell any piece of lumber by it's smell."

The foreman says "O.K. I'll give you a test and if you pass the test, you've got a job."

The foreman takes the carpenter over to a table and says, "I will put some lumber on a table in front of you and you tell me what it is."

The foreman then puts a piece of lumber on the table and says, "Ready!"

The carpenter bends over and takes a deep sniff moving his head from one side to the other. He says "That's a number two pine, two by four, eight foot long."

The foreman says, "Pretty good. That's right. But pine is easy to tell by the smell, and I think you guessed the rest. Here's another piece of lumber for you to identify."

The foreman puts a piece of lumber on the table and says, "Ready!"

The blind carpenter bends over and takes a deep sniff moving his head from one side to the other and says, "This is a tough one, please turn it over so I can smell the other side."

The foreman does this and says "Ready!"

The carpenter takes another deep sniff moving his head from side to side. He then says, "That's a clear heart red wood, four by four, six foot long."

The foreman is amazed and says "That's right, but I still think you're just lucky and still guessing. Let me try one more time and if you get it right you got a job."

The foreman then goes into the office and asks his secretary to help him stump the blind carpenter by putting a plank into her panties and rubbing one side it up her front side, and the other between her ass cheeks.

The foreman says lays the plank on the table and says, "Ready!"

The blind carpenter takes a deep sniff moving his head from side to side. He looks puzzled and takes another sniff and says, "This also is a tough one, please turn it over so I can smell the other side."

The foreman turns to womanized plank over and again says, "Ready!"

The blind carpenter moves his head from side to side again looking puzzled. He sniffs one more time, looks surprised, and says, "I got it. That's a plank from the door of the shit house on a tuna boat."

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#570216 Dec 6, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL, you're nuts. Sex is a wonderful blessing given to us by the Lord that serves to express intimacy to another. The purpose of sex is to glorify God, bring forth children, express intimacy, provide comfort, and bless the spouse.
<quoted text>
Easy?!? It's still being fought today... Teachers & schools get ridiculed about having a cross in a classroom. God isn't removed, but you people still try.
Who are you to say one of the purposes of sex is to glorify a god?

Exactly WHICH god? Do you think when BUDDHISTS have sex they are glorifying YOUR god?

And the only place a god has in MY bedroom is when I call out in the throes of passion and ecstasy: Oh my GOD!!! But of course, god has nothing to do with it.

BTW, plenty of people have sex for the OTHER reasons you mentioned without feeling any need or desire to glorify ANY god and they have sex just as successfully and just as rewardingly as those who want to have their god in the bedrooms with them- such as you, for example.

As long as YOU are okay with your god being a voyeur.....of course, a PERSON could get arrested for being a peeping Tom.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#570217 Dec 6, 2012
cschirnhofer wrote:
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this.
At least you added the "for me" part, indicating that's your opinion.

That's a trait uncommon for Topix atheists.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#570218 Dec 6, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Put a Bible in your exam room.
If there was a bible in the exam room of my doctor's office, I would disregard it for a 2 year old copy of Good Housekeeping instead.

If the bible was the ONLY reading material in the exam room, I would ask the nurse for something ELSE to read and something more appropriate.

I don't read the bible at my doctor's any more than I read it on the checkout line at the supermarket, and even if I did, it would be my OWN.

But luckily for me, while I go to doctors of different races and very likely of different religions as well, I see PROFESSIONALS who are also INTELLIGENT enough to know that their religious beliefs are none of MY business just as MY religious beliefs are none of THEIR business.

I guess it wouldn't be wrong of me to assume that your car mechanic is Christian and that there is a bible in that waiting area, right?

Or does your mechanic simply "bless" your car before, during and after he works on it?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#570219 Dec 6, 2012
<quoted text>
Perhaps this will help:
A blind carpenter walks into a lumber mill and shouts out, "I am a blind carpenter and I need a job."
The foreman walks over to the blind carpenter and says, "If you're blind, how can you work in a lumber yard?"
The blind carpenter says, "I can tell any piece of lumber by it's smell."
The foreman says "O.K. I'll give you a test and if you pass the test, you've got a job."
The foreman takes the carpenter over to a table and says, "I will put some lumber on a table in front of you and you tell me what it is."
The foreman then puts a piece of lumber on the table and says, "Ready!"
The carpenter bends over and takes a deep sniff moving his head from one side to the other. He says "That's a number two pine, two by four, eight foot long."
The foreman says, "Pretty good. That's right. But pine is easy to tell by the smell, and I think you guessed the rest. Here's another piece of lumber for you to identify."
The foreman puts a piece of lumber on the table and says, "Ready!"
The blind carpenter bends over and takes a deep sniff moving his head from one side to the other and says, "This is a tough one, please turn it over so I can smell the other side."
The foreman does this and says "Ready!"
The carpenter takes another deep sniff moving his head from side to side. He then says, "That's a clear heart red wood, four by four, six foot long."
The foreman is amazed and says "That's right, but I still think you're just lucky and still guessing. Let me try one more time and if you get it right you got a job."
The foreman then goes into the office and asks his secretary to help him stump the blind carpenter by putting a plank into her panties and rubbing one side it up her front side, and the other between her ass cheeks.
The foreman says lays the plank on the table and says, "Ready!"
The blind carpenter takes a deep sniff moving his head from side to side. He looks puzzled and takes another sniff and says, "This also is a tough one, please turn it over so I can smell the other side."
The foreman turns to womanized plank over and again says, "Ready!"
The blind carpenter moves his head from side to side again looking puzzled. He sniffs one more time, looks surprised, and says, "I got it. That's a plank from the door of the shit house on a tuna boat."
LMAO!!

A blind man walk by a tuna stand and says "Hello, ladies..."
Evo-Lotion is Rub-ish

Kingston, Jamaica

#570220 Dec 6, 2012
<quoted text>
No, not in the sense you mean when you say that your beliefs are faith based. Yours are based on no evidence,and perhaps even defy the evidence. Mine are based on evidence. I don't like to call those two things by the same word, so I never refer to evidence based belief as faith, even if dictionaries accept that usage.
<quoted text>
Sometimes.
<quoted text>
I believe that the theory is correct. I believe many things, but I don't "believe in" anything.
<quoted text>
I am not a man of religious faith, meaning that I don't have rigid, unsupported certitude refractory to contradictory evidence. My beliefs differ from religious faith in three important ways: They are evidence based, the degree of belief is commensurate with the quality and quantity of that evidence, and the beliefs are tentative, meaning that they can change if new evidence surfaces that requires reevaluation.
I don't think it's helpful to call such radically different ways of thinking by the same word.
Have you seen my evidence?

You sound pathetic... yours is not that, mine is this... LOL!

You dont even know the definition of "faith".

The word "Faith" in Ancient Greek, is taken from the word "pistis" - which meanings include "conviction" or "assurance". "Pistis" is a derivation of the Ancient Greek word "peitho" which means "to wax confident".

NONE OF THAT IMPLIES "WITHOUT EVIDENCE"!!!!

Keep riding on that high horse of yours; the higher you are the further you will have to fall.

You seem to think there is a significant difference between trying experiments in a lab and observing to see whether the promises made by God are valid; WELL THERE IS NO REAL DIFFERENCE.

Experiments will either reveal that assumptions were fact or false: looking to see if the promises of God will come true life will either reveal that God is truthful are false.

EITHER A THING WILL/IS OR IT WONT/NOT... it doesnt matter whether you are observing in a lab or in everyday life.

You need to learn some respect.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#570221 Dec 6, 2012
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>Who are you to say one of the purposes of sex is to glorify a god?
Exactly WHICH god? Do you think when BUDDHISTS have sex they are glorifying YOUR god?
And the only place a god has in MY bedroom is when I call out in the throes of passion and ecstasy: Oh my GOD!!! But of course, god has nothing to do with it.
BTW, plenty of people have sex for the OTHER reasons you mentioned without feeling any need or desire to glorify ANY god and they have sex just as successfully and just as rewardingly as those who want to have their god in the bedrooms with them- such as you, for example.
As long as YOU are okay with your god being a voyeur.....of course, a PERSON could get arrested for being a peeping Tom.
Are you for real? After 6 months & 9,000 posts, you still don't know "which god" I'm talking about when I say God?

Most people exclaim to God during sex. That's a way of glorifying Him. Good job.

My post wasn't just about "any people", it was about Christians.

Surely, gays aren't glorying God during sex....

God is a peeping Tom now?

lol, you're weird.

“O'si yo!”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#570222 Dec 6, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Men are weird, they pee infront of other men, that's a fact!
How can men do that? Women don't do it.
I would imagin there are particians in mens restrooms so they don't have to do that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 3 min dollarsbill 2,100
avandia 2014 (Jan '14) 9 min AlmostDied 292
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 29 min Aura Mytha 270,227
News Who is an atheist? (May '10) 41 min fadu singh 9,265
Incest: Horny and looking for good stories :) (Nov '13) 56 min Sexy Girl89 15
Rajkot gay Topix 1 hr rajevas 17
can i get a little help from the guys? 1 hr Sexy Girl89 1
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr RiccardoFire 40,005
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 2 hr Seentheotherside 610,079
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 hr June VanDerMark 579,649
More from around the web