“O'si yo!”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#567513 Nov 30, 2012
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>Gee- I only pointed it out to you several times........okay- whatever- thanks for the apology.
In the future, perhaps you should try reading through entire posts before falsely accusing people of lying about what was written and which you would have seen had you actually read the ENTIRE post.
well i sure didn't see it, but you are right i will double ck myself in the future. However her 'creep' next to all your MANY names still made her post much more civil than yours was.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#567514 Nov 30, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, just like those.
<pats RR on the head, makes sure his whiskey is full and his beer is waiting on the table.>
You mean my limitations on whiskey?

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#567515 Nov 30, 2012
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>No- I've pointed out good things as well- such as our freedom of religion which also includes freedom FROM religion.
I've pointed out that we enjoy rights and privileges unique to our nation and that are so much a part of our nation, we take those rights and privileges often for granted- rights and privileges denied so many others in so many other nations.
But at the same time, I'm not going to turn a blind eye to what is wrong with this nation either.
Just like YOU shouldn't turn a blind eye to it any more than you should turn a blind eye to what is wrong in the bible.
The bitter with the sweet, RR- the bitter with the sweet......
In our few months of debating, you've gotten to "know" me a little bit.

What do you think I turn a blind eye to from the bible?

“O'si yo!”

Location hidden

#567516 Nov 30, 2012
justhuman99 wrote:
you tube? really? LOL

“O'si yo!”

Location hidden

#567517 Nov 30, 2012
justhuman99 wrote:
http://youtu.be/GfmERwdaT5w
this will help you a lot to know what you do not know about God.
everything you need to know about God is found in HIS word, not on you tube.

read the bible.
thats the only place you will learn what you need to know about God.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#567518 Nov 30, 2012
prove there isn't?

“O'si yo!”

Location hidden

#567520 Nov 30, 2012
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not talking about a kid literally trying to beat another kid to DEATH. That is not what defines the majority of bullying at all.
Do you know what bullying actually is?
Bullying is unwanted, aggressive behavior among school aged children that involves a real or perceived power imbalance. The behavior is repeated, or has the potential to be repeated, over time. Both kids who are bullied and who bully others may have serious, lasting problems.
Types of Bullying
There are three types of bullying:
Verbal bullying is saying or writing mean things. Verbal bullying includes:
Teasing
Name-calling
Inappropriate sexual comments
Taunting
Threatening to cause harm
Social bullying, sometimes referred to as relational bullying, involves hurting someone’s reputation or relationships. Social bullying includes:
Leaving someone out on purpose
Telling other children not to be friends with someone
Spreading rumors about someone
Embarrassing someone in public
Physical bullying involves hurting a person’s body or possessions. Physical bullying includes:
Hitting/kicking/pinching
Spitting
Tripping/pushing
Taking or breaking someone’s things
Making mean or rude hand gestures
In order to be considered bullying, the behavior must be aggressive and include:
An Imbalance of Power: Kids who bully use their power—such as physical strength, access to embarrassing information, or popularity—to control or harm others. Power imbalances can change over time and in different situations, even if they involve the same people.
Repetition: Bullying behaviors happen more than once or have the potential to happen more than once.
Bullying includes actions such as making threats, spreading rumors, attacking someone physically or verbally, and excluding someone from a group on purpose.
http://www.stopbullying.gov/what-is-bullying/...
As you will see- assuming you actually READ the post, that is- is that physical aggression is only ONE type of bullying and there are many more ways to bully and ways that are just as harmful and perhaps even more so.
As bullying becomes more prevalent and widespread- with much of that due to the internet- adults are becoming more aware of it and are tackling the issue with more diligence and concern than when I was a kid.
If you are interested in the ways most constructive and least violent to effectively deal with bullying, you can go to the following link:
http://www.stopbullying.gov/respond/on-the-sp...
do you know what is so funny about this? bullying has been going on since the dawning of time.
every kid in every school has either witnessed bullying or been a victom of it.
ALL kids will see some degree of it in their school days.
because kids can be mean and very insensitive.
what i am saying is that bullying is NOT A NEW CONCEPT.
the gays have tried to make it a new thing, but it is not.
kids are bullied for all kinds of reasons.
and the only way you can stop a bully is to stand up to them.
that is the only thing that will stifle their power to intimate someone....stand up to them.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#567521 Nov 30, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I couldn't agree more. That's about the most fun issue to bring up in anthropology classes, but it's a hard line to walk.
Here's an extreme example: women in (some) Muslim countries carry out the genital mutilation of their granddaughters. And they do it with pride for, to them, a woman is not a woman without such mutilation.
You and I can be repulsed by this, but the point is that the women do not feel such repulsion and actually feel repulsed by normal, uncut genitals. So...how would Harris be correct in stopping such practices?
It is very interesting, I agree. But there are different ways of effecting change. Personally I think it's perfectly legitimate to scorn such practices anywhere, and to impress some level of social pressure to change those customs. It may not stop such mutilation tomorrow, but even a gradual change is better than none. A woman may be fine with mutilating herself, which is bad enough, but she will probably try and impress that idea on young girls too, and that is alot worse.

“O'si yo!”

Location hidden

#567522 Nov 30, 2012
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>OMG- LOL!!! Your ignorance!!!
Do you have ANY idea how many SILENT cancers there are out there which KILL thousands and thousands of people every year because they went UNDETECTED until it was too late?
Do you have ANY idea how many of those cancers could have been effectively treated and cured if caught in time if people go for routine check-ups and screenings BEFORE the DEADLY symptoms of these MANY silent cancers? And many other diseases as well which produce no symptoms until it is TOO LATE to do anything about it.
Humans do NOT "self heal" from the deadliest of diseases that plague us today.
CANCER
HEART DISEASE
DIABETES
STROKE
You want more???
LOL!!! Your CAR has a better chance of "self-healing" than YOU do, RR.
You ARE a hoot- and a half!
ROFLMAO!!
thats not entirely true. you should read Suzanne Somers biography, or watch some of her interviews.
She had cancer, and she chose the NATURAL route,(foods herbs and natural methods) and she beat it.

do you know why some folks beat cancer and others don't?
because everyone has an appointed time to die.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

Since: Apr 12

Orlando but NYC born & raised

#567523 Nov 30, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Lord have mercy....
You said: "Why are you a person of such extremes that doesn't want to accept that with the sweet, also comes the bitter?"
What do you mean *about me*?
Where did I say "about you"?

Stop making issues that don't exist. I asked why you are a person of such extremes that you don't want to accept that with the sweet comes the bitter?

Simple question, RR.

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#567524 Nov 30, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
"Treating slaves better is not moral. Not having slaves is moral."
I agree with that, but that's a relative opinion, just like the "nakedness" argument you were having yesterday...
Wow! On so many levels, wow!

Wait, what???

Slavery is ok, relatively speaking?!? Really??? Where? Why? How do you justify that slavery is ok in some places but not others?

Second, so...your God has "relative morals"??? Your deity is not a perfect moral being? Ok, no problem! That explains a lot - clears up all the problems I have with the Bible, in fact. You see, I mistakenly thought Christians "knew" their deity was the only perfect moral being in the universe, from which all morality is derived.

But hey, if you don't hold that claim, and your deity is just relatively moral, that explains how your religion changes throughout the centuries and why the morality of 2000 years ago is written in your holy books.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#567525 Nov 30, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
In our few months of debating, you've gotten to "know" me a little bit.
What do you think I turn a blind eye to from the bible?
Because you try to justify the evil that is in its pages-such as slavery and the condoning of slavery, that's why.

And that is just one of many examples.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#567526 Nov 30, 2012
United in faith wrote:
<quoted text>
well i sure didn't see it, but you are right i will double ck myself in the future. However her 'creep' next to all your MANY names still made her post much more civil than yours was.
Okay- whatever. Listen, nano has an acid tongue- she really doesn't need you or anyone else to defend her or stand up for her against others.

“O'si yo!”

Location hidden

#567527 Nov 30, 2012
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>But you do not respect those who are not Christian. You will not even entertain the possibility that IF there even is a god, that god might not be the one YOU choose to believe in.
You judge my behavior as sinful when it is anything BUT. You think that by virtue of the very fact of me- or anyone else- not being a Christian makes them "sinful".
I uphold, defend and maintain VERY high moral standards for myself and those I willingly associate with.
I am referring to REAL life- and not this thread, and on this thread, I have NOT been "immoral", though I know YOU think using curse words is proof of being in league with the devil you choose to believe in.
At any rate, I certainly am NO saint, but I am NO sinner either. What I am is IMPERFECT and imperfection is no more a sin than not believing in the god you do.
And of course, you really know NOTHING about my behavior in REAL life, and my behavior is not at ALL sinful. I don't break the law, I don't cause physical harm to anyone, I take pride in the appearance of my home and my community, I am a responsible citizen and I have done much to help others less fortunate than I am and have logged MANY hours of volunteer work over the past 30 years or so.
So yes- I am hostile toward those Christians who think anyone who does not believe as they do is a "sinner".
I am hostile toward those Christians who disregard, dismiss and disrespect the religious beliefs of BILLIONS in this world which don't coincide with the beliefs of Christians.
Count yourself among those Christians.
so what you are saying is, that i must abandon what i know to be true and lie by telling others they might be right about God allowing them to live in contridiction to what His scriptures say?

I can't do that OCB.
and i do respect others in 2 ways
one: there right to voice their opinion and believe how ever they choose to.
that doesn't mean i must agree

Two: there right to be treated with civility and common curtiousy.

what kind of a Christian would i be if i ignored the will of God and was nonchalaunt and complacent in my thoughts and deeds?

There is only one God OCB.
ONE Creator God.
just as there is ONE truth.

I must be who i am, and speak from my heart.
that doesn't mean we can't disagree.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#567528 Nov 30, 2012
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
It is very interesting, I agree. But there are different ways of effecting change. Personally I think it's perfectly legitimate to scorn such practices anywhere, and to impress some level of social pressure to change those customs. It may not stop such mutilation tomorrow, but even a gradual change is better than none. A woman may be fine with mutilating herself, which is bad enough, but she will probably try and impress that idea on young girls too, and that is alot worse.
You are American, that's for sure! It's a moral stance to believe that you can police the world - does Harris address that?
I personally agree with you that female genital mutilation should stop and the US successfully convinced Egypt to make it illegal (it's still carried on in the lower classes despite that). Yet our beliefs on the matter do not match that of the women in those lower classes (and other cultures). They see mutilated genitals as "mature women's genitalia." Seriously, they do.
Australian indigenous people splay open the penis - well, some of them. The men do it. From the tip to the base!(sorry, guys). In those cultures, women won't sleep with men who don't have splayed members - it's not mature, not manly, right?
These groups sometimes blockade roads, grab male drivers trying to get through, and take them into the bush to make them "men." Seriously!
In my opinion, their behavior is not different than the women's behavior (though they have different beliefs as to why they do it, and different meaning systems with regards to the mutilation). But both the men and the women of their disparate cultures want those mutilations and view un-mutilated genitals as immature, silly, not attractive.
So the question Harris is going to have posed to him again and again is "who are you to decide what is and is not moral? How can we decide?" How can we tell these people that their practices and ways of understanding the world are wrong?
(it's kind of the same discussion we are having here with the religious)

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#567529 Nov 30, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Careful...
Papa taught me that if a woman is man enough to hit, she's man enough to get hit.
I am. You wouldn't last longer than 30 seconds with me.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#567530 Nov 30, 2012
BlackFace wrote:
prove there isn't?
Most people will contemplate the statement first, possibly with some sort of research, and then make a comment upon the statement in either a positive way, or as you have tried to do, through a rebuttal.

But yours is different, it just shows a diversion back to the original poster's statement, without showing what you justify.

It really isn't a valid argument at all, but just a simple easy way to avoid answering the question, in which, in truth, you really don't know of answer to the statement, because you are probably scared to say, "I don't know" or "I don't know, but in my belief....etc...etc".

Wanna try again?

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#567531 Nov 30, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean my limitations on whiskey?
What limitations??? Here, have some more!

Yum!

“O'si yo!”

Location hidden

#567532 Nov 30, 2012
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree, and both the USA and Canada already have laws on their books protecting all people, theoretically, but policing every street corner, and every web site is rather high in human resources which they don't have. Both countries do not permit persecution of other people, regardless of the reason. All humans in both countries, are free to go about their lives without others harming them, according to law, and if they are harmed the law has the power to react to that.
Canada and the USA have almost exactly the same background as far as original settlers, although of course, the actual people who went one place or the other were not the same individuals, but they all generally came from the same places, likely with some exception of your southern neighbors when more people from Mexico would have gone to the USA than to Canada. Some re-arrangement took place during the American Revolution, because some people who didn't want to break away from England moved to Canada, and of course in the War of 1812, some of the borders got changed between the two countries, in the final agreements.
My paternal grandmother's family were allegedly United Empire Loyalists who moved to Canada from Pennsylvania at that time. The rest of my family mainly came from England after all of those wars.
I do not have any say about American laws or about changing them, but I along with you and everyone else can speak openly on a web site about another countries laws, and how we view them. Generally I think that the US laws and government are pretty well organized, though you do have some things that are likely pretty backward compared to Canada, but of course our government only affects 33 million people while yours affects 300 million or thereabouts. American law has more impact on the whole world because you hold #1 power position in the world.
Religion as a discipline that people study and follow has never harmed anyone, but some people from all religions because of how they interpret and act on their beliefs have always harmed others and continue to do so. The USA laws, and somewhat the Canadian laws, attempt to prevent this by separation of church and state so that a religion cannot take over the country and run it according to its particular beliefs at the expense of the beliefs of all other people. That is a very good law, because as we can see in all of the countries that are having wars and rebellions, etc., today, when religion is too heavily involved then chaos reigns.
I saw last night that several Americans who produced an anti-Islam movie have been sentenced to death in Egypt in absentia because they are offended there by what the movie said. The world as a whole should censure Egypt for that because now those people will be marked men, wherever they go, as any Islamic idiot who follows strictly their Islamic laws will consider those sentences as permission to kill these people. Legally they can't do that but they might, and it should be stopped and the USA, NATO and UN and whatever other bodies monitor these things must insist that those sentences be removed.
As for my not living in America, I think, UIF, that you will soon find that the freedoms that you consider you cherish there are not quite as lenient as you might think. People such as Fred Phelps the KKK people and others will have to be legislated against as far as some of their activities are concerned, because they are a real danger to the population.
Likely the fact that Fred Phelps is a clever lawyer is one reason that he has not already been living in prison. There should be no law that permits people to disrupt the funeral of a soldier killed in action while fighting under the orders of his country. Those people should not have been fighting in the first place, but that isn't the fault of the soldier but rather the decisions of the administration to go to war.
think about it, is that not what we are doing? going on about our lives?

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#567533 Nov 30, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow! On so many levels, wow!
Wait, what???
Slavery is ok, relatively speaking?!? Really??? Where? Why? How do you justify that slavery is ok in some places but not others?
Second, so...your God has "relative morals"??? Your deity is not a perfect moral being? Ok, no problem! That explains a lot - clears up all the problems I have with the Bible, in fact. You see, I mistakenly thought Christians "knew" their deity was the only perfect moral being in the universe, from which all morality is derived.
But hey, if you don't hold that claim, and your deity is just relatively moral, that explains how your religion changes throughout the centuries and why the morality of 2000 years ago is written in your holy books.
Will Ar Ar concede, or will he explode?

I'm going to call my sentient umbrella, just in case.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 29 min Seentheotherside 1,017
safe abortion clinic in manila (Jul '13) 30 min krissy8 47
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 37 min Seentheotherside 39,668
gay whatsapp agroup (Nov '13) 46 min Mahesh 40
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr lightbeamrider 97,935
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr Seentheotherside 608,295
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr Pokay 269,096
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr marge 574,554
Straight guys: Would you ever have intercourse ... (Jul '12) 5 hr busted 165
More from around the web