Dang it "Keep!"

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#567691 Nov 30, 2012
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
"you respect that some people worship Buddha"
Jesus came to the W O R L D, not just the US of A and therefore asian's are just as responsible to God the same as anglo's
"I don't agree with your definition of "sexual immorality."
it's not mine, it's God's. so you'll hafta ask Him why you feel your ideas are better than His.
hahaha! See? I don't have to point out your hatred of others, you do it yourself.

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#567692 Nov 30, 2012
Belief in God is Faith wrote:
<quoted text> Belief in God is called faith which means by definition believing in something that you cannot prove. It is called the leap of faith. Even though you cannot prove it logically, millions of intelligent down to earth logical people have taken this leap of faith. I myself am a Science and Math teacher who believes in Science and Logic has taken this leap and believes in a Catholic God.
sure, you are

sure

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#567693 Nov 30, 2012
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
so you don't like God's sense of maorality as defined in His Word and therefore you hate me for standing with Him - i get that!
Sure, sure, you are the only person who understands "god" and you are the only one to find the "one, true god."

It's too bad you made such a repulsive one.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#567694 Nov 30, 2012
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
is frig'n homosexual activity (or any sexual activity) really this important to you that you'll sell your soul to stand against God for it???
ya know, some people go their whole lives and either can't or choose not to have sex; we're all made of the same materials and emotions as them so you won't have any excuse for being a rebel for this immoral cause.....
hahaha! I'm not standing against a deity, just people like you who believe deities exist and then make them morally corrupt.

And yes, structural violence is wrong and must be addressed. People like you are the problem, pushing others down. Before your time, it was racism. For your generation, it's sexuality. I wonder what it is in the next gen?

“I never claimed to be Perfect”

Since: Nov 10

just better than yesterday

#567695 Nov 30, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
The little vagina on the chin? I warned him about that. At least he doesn't have a cleft chin.
I thought it was cool.... But ...,,
I'll shave it off if it bothers you!
Now you've made me self conscience....:/

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#567696 Nov 30, 2012
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
i thought you were a believer, Al, is in God, Bible and all that?
or, are you one of those handwringing lutheran-types like in germany circa 1930's that say (in an emasculated nasal tone) "well, we can't really know what the bible means when it says "sexual immorality" and after all it's really only alagorical"?
if so, i'm gonna consider you officially in the oprah/obama 'christian' camp:)
You should learn from Al. He's a moral Christian who doesn't advocate hatred of others.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#567697 Nov 30, 2012
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
Well.... He's good looking, rich, smart and funny...
And well I'm none of those... Errr.... Wait...
This is the Internet right?
Well then..... I'm good looking, rich, smart and funny!!!
J/k :)
dw, he's not my type! lol

He's not bad looking, but i'm in love with christian bale atm, so he's the best looking guy on the planet atm!

Location hidden

#567698 Nov 30, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
The little vagina on the chin? I warned him about that. At least he doesn't have a cleft chin.
lol, maybe that's it!

Location hidden

#567699 Nov 30, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
What have I been attempting for week? lol
The bible can be interpreted just as any book can. But there is only one true meaning in each scripture.
known to you

because

the god of all, believes in you

Location hidden

#567700 Nov 30, 2012
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought it was cool.... But ...,,
I'll shave it off if it bothers you!
Now you've made me self conscience....:/
Awwwww! Don't be, just do whatever makes u happy.

:-)

Location hidden

#567701 Nov 30, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>And you don't think that's absurd? He placed man in a garden, put a tree in the garden, and then gave man certain predispositions which he knew would lead to man eating the fruit of the tree - man does as expected, and then all of humanity is condemned. You think that makes sense?
that is the behaviour of a christian god

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#567702 Nov 30, 2012
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
You do have to wonder what Christian women think when they read, say, passages from Saul/Paul admonishing churches to keep women out of leadership roles, and blaming them for the downfall of all humankind. Never mind the even worse misogyny in the Hebrew Bible.
I rather wonder what they think (or do) while reading "Fifty Shades of Grey".

But that's just me.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#567703 Nov 30, 2012
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
is your eternal soul worth rebelling against God over a few short years of S E X???
Considering that sex is one of the main staples of human existence, why would a person put their eternal soul, which there is no evidence to suggest it exists, ahead of life, that they have now?

Sometimes I wonder if people post those kinds of comments here, just to get someone to argue with them, or are they so uninformed that they really believe what they are saying?

Is it really logical and rational that we are born to spend our lives preparing ourselves for how our 'souls' will exist after we are dead? If the ultimate is a soul in eternity in some sort of imaginary paradise, then why not just have souls that go immediately to the final place, and skip all this earthly stuff?

Could our forefathers, who dreamed up these scenarios, have found their lives so meaningless, that the only way they could cope was to imagine that they would have something better when they died?

I am asking the questions, but I don't know the answers, nor does anyone else, though many claim to have the whole thing figured out.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#567704 Nov 30, 2012
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Not yet. But as for policing the world, I'm certainly not advocating forcing anyone. Ultimately you can't really force morality on anyone anyway (a lesson religion has yet to learn). But I am definitely advocating social pressure, maybe even economic/diplomatic pressure too. A given society can decide how important it is to, say, mutilate women. Is that uniquely American? Wouldn't Japan speak up against such things?
<quoted text>
I'm accepting that they accept it. It's still wrong, plain and simple, their personal views notwithstanding.
<quoted text>
Equally wrong.
Sure, but how to decide the above actions are wrong? How do we determine what is a human universal for "well being"?

For the genital mutilation, I'd argue that the children's suffering is enough to call it wrong. I believe Harris starts with "what is the best imaginable state for not-misery and is this such an example?" It's pretty obvious that cutting up your genitals isn't the best possible happiness, but I don't see that as an objective argument, since we could misapply that to many cases - my 4 year old doesn't want to go to school. Is forcing him/her to go to school the best possible happiness for that child? Or eating food issues, etc.
I don't think Harris is arguing that he or any individual is making that call. He seems to be arguing that we use science and logic to make that call. He has also acknowledged that we are not at a point where we can determine objective morality in every case, but that this is a sphere of science that needs to be developed.
In the first two chapters he has laid out the concept of a moral foundation based on the concept of overall well-being. That essentially takes belief out of the equation as a valid rationale. It still leaves many potential contradictions, such as near-term vs long-term well being, the well-being of the few vs the many, etc. But I think he has a point. At the very least, if one cannot agree that quality of life is important, possibly the most important basis for a moral judgement, then morality has no meaning. But as soon as you establish that well-being is important, then you have an objective judgement to go from.
The developed nations have decided well being is an important issue - there's lots of cultural anthropologists now studying "work-life balance."

I really don't see how it becomes an objective judgment, though.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#567705 Nov 30, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Manoanatomy's ...
Favorite Song: I Want To Skank You For Letting Me Be Myself
Favorite Movie: Young Skankenstein
Favorite Singer: Skank Williams, Jr.
Favorite TV show: Skanky And Our Gang.
And then she hates anyone else who does that kind of stuff.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#567706 Nov 30, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>You sold one?!?!
I did. Sorry. Baby needed a new pony.

So...does that mean you don't want to go out for coffee?

I mean, ah..., I'm thinking about opening up an Adonis sales company. The second one's bidding is almost done!

How exciting!

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#567707 Nov 30, 2012
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
is your eternal soul worth rebelling against God over a few short years of S E X???
Imagine, if you will indulge me, waaasssuuup, just for a moment, that the Muslims are correct. That means you and I are going to suffer eternally in a terrible hell. Now imagine that it's the (Chinese) Buddhists who are correct - oops, hell again (although in some Buddhism, we'll be ok). Or the Norse, where we'll be servants forever. Or the Yanomami where, if our bodies are buried, we'll be lost forever, wandering the earth without family.

Notice how little that bothered you? I don't think you're worried at all about the countless other religion's depictions of the afterlife - not one bit!

Just as other religion's beliefs don't scare you, yours doesn't scare me, or any atheist on here. I just find it so strange that you, like believers in all other religions, "know" you're right.

I mean, don't you guys ever stop to think "hey, other people feel as strongly about their beliefs as I do about mine. And they believe they have strong evidence, just like I do. But...but...we can't both be right!"

I see your inability to do so - to empathize with other believers - the same sort of way I see an infant who does not know object permanence (where they understand that if an object is out of their view, it still exists). For whatever reason, you've never matured to "belief permanence."

Location hidden

#567708 Nov 30, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I did. Sorry. Baby needed a new pony.
So...does that mean you don't want to go out for coffee?
I mean, ah..., I'm thinking about opening up an Adonis sales company. The second one's bidding is almost done!
How exciting!
get one of the godbots, with a mustard seed of faith to pray to their god for your pony,( I am currently waiting for the delivery of mine)

Patty,, Patttt-yy

where are you girl

hiding needs ya

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#567709 Nov 30, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Ians claimed I was asking for all the abuse I've been dealt offline, just like he claims I started the crap here. You know as well as I do that you freaks were abusing and stalking people on Topix LONG before I ever posted anything.
No one claims you asked for the real physical trauma you unfortunately had to go through. You had nothing to do with his actions - his actions were his own and he is utter scum.

I wish they caught the bastard who did that to you, actually, and that he was jailed. I have a friend who was molested as a child by the babysitter and we never caught that bastard, either.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 min USA Born 599,522
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 21 min andet1987 6,293
There is Everything Wrong with Abortion (Nov '07) 32 min Junket 221,987
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 1 hr The swamiji 7,490
The Christian Atheist debate 1 hr Mr Wiggley 1,961
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 2 hr janeebee 6,422
News Teacher back in class after Bush-Hitler comparison (Mar '06) 2 hr Burke Devlin 151
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 3 hr Great Day of Arma... 612,898
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 5 hr Pegasus 272,404
More from around the web