Prove there's a god.

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#567861 Dec 1, 2012
Truth signed in wrote:
<quoted text>
I've found, that during times of grief, you will often find out just how little most people really have things figured out. When faced with death or the death of a loved one, atheist will often seek God and Christians will often deny Him. Most people truly don't have it all figured out at all Booots.
AS old age and death approach the mind, and the cognitive processes deteriorate, it is always sad to see.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#567862 Dec 1, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>So you opine...
(I know, I know! I loathe "opine" as a verb - but it fit.)
Isn't that what we all do here?

Opine is a verb, how else would you use it?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#567863 Dec 1, 2012
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
Classic stuff.....
So you know the song? It's a beauty.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#567864 Dec 1, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Wait, you're going about this totally backwards.
Evolution describes biological phenomena perfectly well without a deity involved. For you to add your personal deity - or any deity, for that matter - adds unnecessary, useless qualifiers. Adding "god" to the equation doesn't add any details, explanatory or predictive power.
So, it's utterly worthless to start from your point of view. To add your deity decreases our ability to understand biology. Evolutionary science is perfectly fine without your desires interfering.
I understand what you're saying, I do.

I don't understand why none of you admit that it's your opinion.

And the "Evolutionary science is perfectly fine without your desires interfering" line I completely disagree with.

How did life first happen in order for evolution to start happening?

How did such incredible complex life simply come to be? Especially in the millions if varieties that it has?

IMO, divine, powerful, intelligent design answers that.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#567865 Dec 1, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Superstition and inclination to be religious is a funny thing.
The more primitive the man the more religious and superstitious he was. The founding fathers came from a period where the Church of England was the most powerful entity on Earth and at it's head a Monarchy. Religion and superstitious beliefs have dissolved over time because of knowledge which has dispelled foolish beliefs.
Remaining religious and superstitious is a sign of primitive thinking that is hard to shake ,because it is engrained in the brain stem. To escape primitive thinking requires left brain cerebral thinking skills. Due try to keep up it is the 21st century
and not the 18th. Its time to put away those childish beliefs and superstitions.
"Remaining religious and superstitious is a sign of primitive thinking"

You think that because you're ignorant if religion. You're ignorant of God.

You can be taught, you can learn. You choose not to. You choose to remain ignorant.

Location hidden

#567866 Dec 1, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm thinking "Adonis sales"?
No? How about "men with pecs, for sale"?
No? How about "hot slaves. Expensive"?
Ok, well, damn, you come up with something!
The last one I sold was sold as "hot white guy. does dishes if you hit him. doesn't speak English."
You wouldn't believe how hard it is to treat an Ancient Greek white guy how to follow simple commands of doing dishes.
Timn, I swear, the next batch, we are not using Alexander the Great's DNA code. Far too rebellious!
young fresh ready males for sale

comes with free instruction set "how to own a slave"

just steal a bible from hotel room.

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#567867 Dec 1, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand what you're saying, I do.
I don't understand why none of you admit that it's your opinion.
And the "Evolutionary science is perfectly fine without your desires interfering" line I completely disagree with.
How did life first happen in order for evolution to start happening?
How did such incredible complex life simply come to be? Especially in the millions if varieties that it has?
IMO, divine, powerful, intelligent design answers that.
RR, in the absence of evidence of any deities, why should it be my opinion that evolution was started without a deity?

That's like me saying "In my opinion, evolution began in the absence of Jedis. And squid. Oh, and Rubik's cube."

Your question is stupid. Just because you believe your god exists doesn't mean I have to frame my science around it. Your beliefs have no impact on my science - none whatsoever.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#567868 Dec 1, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you're completely misunderstanding Genesis.
There is no time frame given as to when God created the universe.
There is no time frame given as to when God created the earth.
There is no time frame given as to when God created humans.
etc, etc...
God didn't leave a "leave-behind" mark.
But Genesis, if it happened, regardless, of what timeline it followed, could not have occurred, because it doesn't match with what we today do know happened, and secondly, even if it had happened the way the stories tell, man would not have had that information at the time of the writing of those stories to have actually written them down.

If there was actually one physical first man (and woman), there would have been no form of any kind of recording the events, including word of mouth, because man would have developed language, and means of passing on what he later did with that language, many thousands or millions of years after the events. It is also believed by some that the mythical writings were written by the mythical Moses, who mythically, according to what believers state, lived only a few thousand years ago.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#567869 Dec 1, 2012
United in faith wrote:
<quoted text>
yes i am familiar with with Youtube.
i am cautious about ANY website that contains alot of secular stuff.
when it comes to the bible and God, the best place to obtain correct info, is of course in the bible itself.
So that would exclude going to church and listening to your minister also? Many of the people you quote here as your sources of valuable information have videos on Youtube. None of those videos are in the Bible. There are millions of videos on Youtube so you only pick those that interest you to watch.

Fennario

#567870 Dec 1, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you're completely misunderstanding Genesis.
There is no time frame given as to when God created the universe.
There is no time frame given as to when God created the earth.
There is no time frame given as to when God created humans.
etc, etc...
God didn't leave a "leave-behind" mark.
Sorry, but you seem to be starting your own religion now. Here's what the Christians teach [from http://christianity.about.com/od/biblestorysu... ]:

Day 1 - God created light and separated the light from the darkness, calling light "day" and darkness "night."

Day 2 - God created an expanse to separate the waters and called it "sky."

Day 3 - God created the dry ground and gathered the waters, calling the dry ground "land," and the gathered waters "seas." On day three, God also created vegetation (plants and trees).

Day 4 - God created the sun, moon, and the stars to give light to the earth and to govern and separate the day and the night. These would also serve as signs to mark seasons, days, and years.

Day 5 - God created every living creature of the seas and every winged bird, blessing them to multiply and fill the waters and the sky with life.

Day 6 - God created the animals to fill the earth. On day six, God also created man and woman (Adam and Eve) in his own image to commune with him. He blessed them and gave them every creature and the whole earth to rule over, care for, and cultivate.

Day 7 - God had finished his work of creation and so he rested on the seventh day, blessing it and making it holy.

Location hidden

#567871 Dec 1, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Nudity, nudity, nudity,
Nudity all day long,
Nudity, nudity, nudity,
this is my nudity
song!
Hey!
chit, now I gotta bulge and nothin to do with it

Fennario

#567872 Dec 1, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Holy fluckin shitballs.... You just can't grasp the concept, can you? That the stories of slavery in the bible are not related to me or my actions. Or ANY Christians for that matter.
That's a good start. We skeptics feel the same about biblical slavery, except that we take it a few stories further, and for exactly the same reason.

Location hidden

#567873 Dec 1, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, that's right.

Suck it!
present it

Location hidden

#567874 Dec 1, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Holy fluckin shitballs....
You just can't grasp the concept, can you?
That the stories of slavery in the bible are not related to me or my actions. Or ANY Christians for that matter.
the book you hold up as a moral model, contains instruction to own slave(s), I find that reprehensible, you do not. I notice a difference in moral structure.

the book you follow espouses an evil deity and a failed morality, and you do not (even) manage that poor standard

Fennario

#567875 Dec 1, 2012
United in faith wrote:
the best place to obtain correct info, is of course in the bible itself.
I was wondering if your bible had any advice for cleansing lepers?

Never mind. I found it myself in Leviticus at http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...

"two live clean birds and cedarwood and scarlet yarn and hyssop. And the priest shall command them to kill one of the birds in an earthenware vessel over fresh water. He shall take the live bird with the cedarwood and the scarlet yarn and the hyssop, and dip them and the live bird in the blood of the bird that was killed over the fresh water. And he shall sprinkle it seven times on him who is to be cleansed of the leprous disease."

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#567876 Dec 1, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
RR, in the absence of evidence of any deities, why should it be my opinion that evolution was started without a deity?
That's like me saying "In my opinion, evolution began in the absence of Jedis. And squid. Oh, and Rubik's cube."
Your question is stupid. Just because you believe your god exists doesn't mean I have to frame my science around it. Your beliefs have no impact on my science - none whatsoever.
Darlin, if you had read the whole post, you would've seen the "IMO" part...

I'm not suggesting that you need to see it the way I do. I'm telling you my opinion.

Just as you are telling your opinion to me.

Location hidden

#567877 Dec 1, 2012
United in faith wrote:
<quoted text>
yes i am familiar with with Youtube.
i am cautious about ANY website that contains alot of secular stuff.
when it comes to the bible and God, the best place to obtain correct info, is of course in the bible itself.
antivirus are very good, these days; if you can manage the sewer that is topix virus free, you are good to go on youtube.

when on you tube do not follow any non-youtube links

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#567878 Dec 1, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Bullshit. It's proven that water is made up of 2 hydrogen & 1 oxygen.
It's proven what the speed of sound and light is.
It's proven that oil & water don't mix.
It's proven that water is an excellent conductor of electricity.
It's proven that dolphins and whales aren't fish.
It's proven that heat expands & cold contracts.
It's proven that space isn't a complete vacuum.
Evolution, as we have guessed it, is NOT a proven fact.
Don't give me your "nothing is really proven" lie. You people tend to use it to defend your ignorant stance on evolution.
All these little tidbits , contain some facts but contain variables.

As far as that goes evolution has also been proven experimentally by the demonstration of the change in the inherited characteristics of biological populations over successive generations.

But when we talk theory it encompasses more than just mere singular facts and provides an explanation over a broad range of variables. In that respect nothing is ever absolutely proven
beyond 99.9% plausibility.

You speak of ignorance , but it is your own.

Such as for example oil and water can be made to mix.
But this is just a trivial fact also not a wide ranging theory
which explains the change in the inherited characteristics of biological populations over successive generations.

Evolution does just that, but your ignorance does not.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#567879 Dec 1, 2012
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
But Genesis, if it happened, regardless, of what timeline it followed, could not have occurred, because it doesn't match with what we today do know happened, and secondly, even if it had happened the way the stories tell, man would not have had that information at the time of the writing of those stories to have actually written them down.
If there was actually one physical first man (and woman), there would have been no form of any kind of recording the events, including word of mouth, because man would have developed language, and means of passing on what he later did with that language, many thousands or millions of years after the events. It is also believed by some that the mythical writings were written by the mythical Moses, who mythically, according to what believers state, lived only a few thousand years ago.
I agree.

Which is why I've said countless times that Genesis isn't a literal account. It merely details what God did, not HOW He did it. Not WHEN He did it.

I don't think Adam was literally the first human man. I think he was more likely one if the first Homo sapiens on earth. I think that God watched evolution happen, according to His plan and when man was ready (evolved enough) God made Himself known.

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#567881 Dec 1, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
"Remaining religious and superstitious is a sign of primitive thinking"
You think that because you're ignorant if religion. You're ignorant of God.
You can be taught, you can learn. You choose not to. You choose to remain ignorant.
Absolutely not , your method of thinking was in effect for thousands of years. Effectively progressing nowhere, you clearly are he one simply being the stubborn , and have not even considered any other way of thinking.

It seems to escape your ability to even show tangible evidence or invoke the alleged limitless power of your imaginary god.
However even you admit science proved the composition of water.
Where's the bible thumping realization in that?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 33 min Just Think 690,400
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 1 hr About time 41,858
Charles Mansion Died Last Night 2 hr Paul McCartney is... 4
Why are Europeans a race of savages, thieves, a... (Jun '15) 3 hr Paul is dead 123
Sometimes I like Louis Farrakhan's "sermons"...... 3 hr Paul is dead 105
Bring the jobs back to the USA! 4 hr Paul is dead 595
Gay guys wanna chat 7 hr Isaac 1
More from around the web