“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#567606 Nov 30, 2012
OCB wrote:
<quoted text> I will assume this is another week attempt at humor on your part -otherwise if you're lumping the common cold in with any number of cancers and if you're assuming that the body self-heals from cancer like it does from the common cold there is really no hope for you.
And no - I am not obviously wrong about the Bible but it's obvious is that the Bible is open to any interpretation but it's also very clear that slavery is just fine and dandy in the bible.
What have I been attempting for week? lol

The bible can be interpreted just as any book can. But there is only one true meaning in each scripture.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#567607 Nov 30, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
There's just as much "evidence" out there that the flood happened as there is that it didn't.
It's an unproven, untestable theory.
Rather than get back into this again, for well over the 100th time, why not you do some research on that, because you are absolutely wrong.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#567609 Nov 30, 2012
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
BTW - you missed the point when you responded with this:
"If you read a US history book, it talks about Americans owning slaves. Does that mean you as an American can own a slave? Nope. It's a historical record."
- slavery was outlawed and considered a crime, thus it is no more a "law" for Americans. Maybe you didn't read the same history books I had, if you have to pose a scenario in the manner you did. In actuality, it sounds like you are trying to defend the Bible and what it says.
- Face the fact - slavery is wrong, anything to do with slavery is wrong - in which, the Bible is wrong as related to the issue. Thus, the Bible should no longer be considered a source of "Truth" from "God". But you don't see it this way, huh?
- Do you disregard that portion of the Bible, and just skip over it, and then make the claim the other parts are still valid?
What say you?
Slavery is wrong, yes. But just as Americans didn't know that 100 years ago, Hebrews & Levites didn't know it on their time either.

And since God gives us free will, He'd give us the freedom to either accept or repulse slavery. Since He knew that they kept slaves (and that we still do today), He wanted them treated better. And paid.

It's not that God condones slavery, He does condone humans, He loves us all no matter what we do.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#567610 Nov 30, 2012
wilderide wrote:
I think if we have a higher moral obligation to other beings under our power, which is pretty much all of them, than we do even to other humans. I'm sure if some other creature held sway over the Earth the way humans do, we'd hope that they would think that way.
I agree wholeheartedly.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#567611 Nov 30, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
The public schools don't exist to assist your churches.
The public schools don't exist to assist your causes.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#567612 Nov 30, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
You are American, that's for sure! It's a moral stance to believe that you can police the world - does Harris address that?
Not yet. But as for policing the world, I'm certainly not advocating forcing anyone. Ultimately you can't really force morality on anyone anyway (a lesson religion has yet to learn). But I am definitely advocating social pressure, maybe even economic/diplomatic pressure too. A given society can decide how important it is to, say, mutilate women. Is that uniquely American? Wouldn't Japan speak up against such things?
I personally agree with you that female genital mutilation should stop and the US successfully convinced Egypt to make it illegal (it's still carried on in the lower classes despite that). Yet our beliefs on the matter do not match that of the women in those lower classes (and other cultures). They see mutilated genitals as "mature women's genitalia." Seriously, they do.
I'm accepting that they accept it. It's still wrong, plain and simple, their personal views notwithstanding.
Australian indigenous people splay open the penis - well, some of them. The men do it. From the tip to the base!(sorry, guys). In those cultures, women won't sleep with men who don't have splayed members - it's not mature, not manly, right?
These groups sometimes blockade roads, grab male drivers trying to get through, and take them into the bush to make them "men." Seriously!
Equally wrong.
In my opinion, their behavior is not different than the women's behavior (though they have different beliefs as to why they do it, and different meaning systems with regards to the mutilation). But both the men and the women of their disparate cultures want those mutilations and view un-mutilated genitals as immature, silly, not attractive.
So the question Harris is going to have posed to him again and again is "who are you to decide what is and is not moral? How can we decide?" How can we tell these people that their practices and ways of understanding the world are wrong?
(it's kind of the same discussion we are having here with the religious)
I don't think Harris is arguing that he or any individual is making that call. He seems to be arguing that we use science and logic to make that call. He has also acknowledged that we are not at a point where we can determine objective morality in every case, but that this is a sphere of science that needs to be developed.

In the first two chapters he has laid out the concept of a moral foundation based on the concept of overall well-being. That essentially takes belief out of the equation as a valid rationale. It still leaves many potential contradictions, such as near-term vs long-term well being, the well-being of the few vs the many, etc. But I think he has a point. At the very least, if one cannot agree that quality of life is important, possibly the most important basis for a moral judgement, then morality has no meaning. But as soon as you establish that well-being is important, then you have an objective judgement to go from.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#567613 Nov 30, 2012
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
i agree with God about what kind of sex is natural/moral and what kind is un-natural/immoral.
if you have a prob w/that, you'll have to take it up with God since He's the One who designed the natural/moral function.
Why would I have a problem with your sexual activities?

What kind of sex does your god have? Has he been celibate since Mary or did he invent condoms after that? That was natural sex, huh?

Fennario

#567614 Nov 30, 2012
Skombolis wrote:
Until you have the courage to answer why you told me "no and i am not going to keep correcting you" when I said you believed it is possible for there to be creator gods and then later said there was then you and i have nothing left to say.
Courage? I corrected you several times. You don't understand simple English.
Skombolis wrote:
You have shown repeatedly to use manipulative and dishonest tactics when discussing things
You have never shown that - merely claimed it. Or perhaps you would care to contradict me with a link.
Skombolis wrote:
don't even have the intellectual integrity to maintain a modicum of the respect shown to you while doing it.
Respect is not an element of intellectual integrity. I showed you courtesy at first - until you dragged our discussion into the gutter with personal aspersions. I don't respect that.
Skombolis wrote:
So your critiques of how I choose to post don't interest me.
Why should they? Those critiques aren't really written for your benefit anyway.
Skombolis wrote:
You know what helps communication better than not using hyperbole? Not lying.
Why tell me? If you want to claim that I lied, show me. If you can't, well, enjoy the consequences of making scurrilous claims that you can't support. I consider that loathsome behavior, and I generally skewer people that do that.

You may think that you're right, but that isn't enough. I don't really care if you are sincere and feel wronged. You blundered, you misunderstood, and you made it personal. I am really sorry that that happened, but so be it. You blundered, and here we are.

San Francisco

#567615 Nov 30, 2012
United in faith wrote:
<quoted text>
the bible isn't speaking of a 24 hr day in mans calander.
the bible says a day unto the Lord is like a thousand years to us.
Unfortunately, those two concepts are not explicitly linked in the Bible. Once science demonstrated that the Earth could not have been created in six days, and moreover was neither 6,000 nor 10,000 years old, such apologias as you offer became necessary.

Again, not the mark of a leave-behind by a powerful creator deity concerned with clearly communicating with it's human creation.

San Francisco

#567616 Nov 30, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
My mans calander is achy.
What should I do?
Have you been abusing your mans calander again? Off to the pharmacy with you then!

Fennario

#567617 Nov 30, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
See how this works? You [OCB] never once jumped Kaitlyn for telling me to go swallow razor blades
That was a metaphor.

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#567618 Nov 30, 2012
<quoted text>
I'm sure you've had quite a few such situations. And it's no wonder why. If you mouth off in meat space like you do here, you're lucky to still be alive.
Too bad you haven't been in the same predicaments I've been in. At least then you would have a reason for being so vile. It's just a tad hypocritical of you to expect me to be polite after all of the abuse you and your crew have dished out to me.
You are an A-1, typical asshole that blames a victim for being hurt.
I was barely 13 the first time I was accosted by a grown man and when I tried to fight him off he back-handed me so hard I was afraid he had broken my neck. Yeah, like I was asking to be assaulted by someone I'd never seen or spoke to before then. I do, truly hope someone does the same to you before you die. It might give you some perspective.

San Francisco

#567619 Nov 30, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Bad examples.
Exactly what evil do I justify?
I've never condoned slavery.
Try again?
So if you think slavery is bad, yet the Bible supports it...

Fennario

#567620 Nov 30, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
looking forward to getting lucky at the bars in Southeast Asia
Manoanatomy's ...

Favorite Song: I Want To Skank You For Letting Me Be Myself
Favorite Movie: Young Skankenstein
Favorite Singer: Skank Williams, Jr.
Favorite TV show: Skanky And Our Gang.

San Francisco

#567621 Nov 30, 2012
<quoted text>
Bien bien. How about a visit? We'll show you around. You might like it.
I'm sure I'd like it. Especially when it's cold here. ;) We just came back from a trip to London and Berlin, two cities that I really like, but never in November again! Brrrrr.

We keep planning to retire to France someday, but honestly I think there is much to be said in retiring to Mexico instead. Warm weather, warm people, good food, and I'm presuming a very good standard of living vs cost.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#567622 Nov 30, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>That's disgusting and a quick way to get your butt kicked.
Showering with the wrestling team is a quick way to get my butt kicked? WTF are you talking about?

Location hidden

#567623 Nov 30, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Didn't play sports and showering after PE was optional.
So you got away with stinking up the next class you went to? Lucky you. xD
I couldn't risk being called out on being the only girl who wouldn't shower in public.
Damn peer pressure!

Location hidden

#567624 Nov 30, 2012
<quoted text>
That was a metaphor.
BS.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#567625 Nov 30, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Oops. Sold. You want to go out for coffee or something?
You sold one?!?!

San Francisco

#567626 Nov 30, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Too bad you haven't been in the same predicaments I've been in. At least then you would have a reason for being so vile. It's just a tad hypocritical of you to expect me to be polite after all of the abuse you and your crew have dished out to me.
Followed immediately by...
You are an A-1, typical asshole that blames a victim for being hurt.
I was barely 13 the first time I was accosted by a grown man and when I tried to fight him off he back-handed me so hard I was afraid he had broken my neck. Yeah, like I was asking to be assaulted by someone I'd never seen or spoke to before then. I do, truly hope someone does the same to you before you die. It might give you some perspective.
Talk about myopia.

So you were treated badly, and that's your excuse for being an a-hole yourself. And you probably don't see how pathetic that is, just as you can't seem to understand why people give you back what you dish out.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why Iím no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 1 min Tigrizon 442,591
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 min June VanDerMark 583,170
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 3 min Freebird USA 176,430
is it wrong i like to wear womens underwear (Nov '12) 13 min Panty master 226
Poll Grade all of Humanity to date. How have We done... 18 min Fresh poop 2
avandia 2014 (Jan '14) 21 min Jay 312
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 27 min lovewithin 40,111
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr rbphoenix80 98,917
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr mike 611,783
More from around the web