Tuppence wrote:
You first. Prove there is no God.
Prove I can't fly

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#567244 Nov 29, 2012
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes! You are correct! If you follow the Bible then we (humans and animals) were created by the same guy (God) the difference is that we were instructed that we were made in his image (power, intelligence, creativity, etc, etc.) putting us above the animals.
If you follow science then we (humans and animals) came from the same chemicals, proteins, organic compounds etc etc. Yet have somehow (insert your scientific theories here) become the most dominant species on the planet.
Nothing difficult about it.
Depending on what you believe, it just is....
I know. I understand the belief. It doesn't really have a basis in reality outside the bible, though. We are different, not better. Those differences have allowed us to become very successful as a species, but that doesn't make us better.

Location hidden

#567245 Nov 29, 2012
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>

"Don't judge a fish's intelligence solely on its inability to climb a tree...."
Or something like that.....
Ehm... that quote does not support your position. It warns of us the danger of judging other animals based on a human specific definition of intelligence.

Location hidden

#567246 Nov 29, 2012
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes! You are correct! If you follow the Bible then we (humans and animals) were created by the same guy (God) the difference is that we were instructed that we were made in his image (power, intelligence, creativity, etc, etc.) putting us above the animals.
If you follow science then we (humans and animals) came from the same chemicals, proteins, organic compounds etc etc. Yet have somehow (insert your scientific theories here) become the most dominant species on the planet.
Nothing difficult about it.
Depending on what you believe, it just is....
Also, you can't use our accomplishments as "evidence" for our superiority unless you allow our capacity for evil into the argument as well. These big, powerful brains tend to cause as many problems as they fix.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#567247 Nov 29, 2012
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm simply stating that with very few exceptions in the animal kingdom, humans do posses a superior and keen intellect above all animals.
I still am reminded of Albert Einstein's quote-
"Don't judge a fish's intelligence solely on its inability to climb a tree...."
Or something like that.....
Wilderide, I prefer to have a positive spin on life, People, relationships etc etc. Yes, we have evolved at the expense of all other beings, animals and environment. But I always hold out hope (faith) there's that word lol! That we can all realize enough of our errors to do the right thing next time when the opportunity develops.
I know you like to be positive, and I think that is one of your best traits. I try to do the same. I'm not saying humans are awful, just like I don't think the Bible is entirely bad, even though I criticize both. But I do feel that if we are going to take morality seriously, then that must apply to non-humans as well. And I take morality very seriously.

I mean, really, here I am using a computer that is full of toxic chemicals, using electricity that was probably not generated by angels on treadmills, wearing clothes that might have been produced under bad conditions, etc etc etc. We all do our best, and none of us are perfect, nor can we implement our moral ideas in a perfect way. But we must strive. To me, that is the point of life: not in achieving perfection, or complete knowledge of the truth, but in the journey. And based on what you post I'm pretty sure you and I are on the same page in that regard.:)

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#567248 Nov 29, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Also, you can't use our accomplishments as "evidence" for our superiority unless you allow our capacity for evil into the argument as well. These big, powerful brains tend to cause as many problems as they fix.
Yeah, that's what I'm sayin. The brain giveth, but the brain taketh away too.

“It's all about the struggle”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#567249 Nov 29, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. She doesn't get regular exams. That has nothing to do with me. She never has.
And before you go off on a tangent, screaming about its my influence on her that keeps her from getting regular check ups, know that she lived for 37 years before she met me. It's HER body & HER choice.
Here's a free tip. If you want to ask a question, just ask it. Don't ramble on & on with crazy accusations after asking the question.....
But...but...but that's the only way OCB/Christine knows how to interact with "your kind". Baseless, offensive accusations

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#567250 Nov 29, 2012
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey wilderide.

Glad to have you back!

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#567251 Nov 29, 2012
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks much, boooots.......I do try to restrain from name-calling, but there is no way I will when I am called a name first.
Funny.....RR in a post to me yesterday said: You are so dumb.
In my response to him, I did return the favor of name-calling.
He then responded asking ME if I could post without name-calling, despite the fact that I was responding to a post of HIS in which he did just that- call me a name, or if saying "You are so dumb" is not actually "name-calling", he did attempt to insult me.
Thanks for your kind words and back at ya!
:-D
I think we have to consider that we are not dealing with the brightest lights on the street here. I find it amazing that some of them can even turn on their pc.

“I never claimed to be Perfect”

Since: Nov 10

just better than yesterday

#567252 Nov 29, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Ehm... that quote does not support your position. It warns of us the danger of judging other animals based on a human specific definition of intelligence.
You are correct. That statement does NOT support my position. What it does state is that I am not afraid to examine, digest, open my mind to something that is contradictory.
WildeRide told me about a year ago that I suffer from "cognitive dissonance" great word by the way WR.

Location hidden

#567253 Nov 29, 2012
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Hiding! How the prosletyzing-for-science thing working out? Keep up the good work! I've just begun an interesting book by Sam Harris ("The Moral Landscape") who is arguing that morality is objective and can be addressed by science. I'm not sure how much I will agree with him, but I do agree that it's illogical to argue that science must have a hands-off approach to morality. What do you think?
We've already covered this subject and the problem is exactly "who" will be the one to decide what is moral for ALL of society. Harris makes it quite clear from the tone of his book that he believes it should be him and his cronies and likely whatever elitist pigs are in power at the time. I think we already have more than enough authoritarians to deal with than we can handle what with the loosing of drones onto the public areas and the citizens' private property, enforcing our morals as they see fit.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Location hidden

#567254 Nov 29, 2012
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
I think we have to consider that we are not dealing with the brightest lights on the street here. I find it amazing that some of them can even turn on their pc.
Even your shortest responses are insults. Why don't you tone it down a bit?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Location hidden

#567255 Nov 29, 2012
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
You are correct. That statement does NOT support my position. What it does state is that I am not afraid to examine, digest, open my mind to something that is contradictory.
WildeRide told me about a year ago that I suffer from "cognitive dissonance" great word by the way WR.
Everyone does. A smoker who knows the danger of smoking suffers from cognitive dissonance. A lot of strange behavior can be explained by the universal human desire to reduce cognitive dissonance.

Location hidden

#567256 Nov 29, 2012
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
But that' good. It's a hard thing to do. I just didn't get that from your post at first because it came right after a proclamation of human superiority.

Location hidden

#567257 Nov 29, 2012
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed it does.

“I never claimed to be Perfect”

Since: Nov 10

just better than yesterday

#567258 Nov 29, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Also, you can't use our accomplishments as "evidence" for our superiority unless you allow our capacity for evil into the argument as well. These big, powerful brains tend to cause as many problems as they fix.
Evil is such a rough word. Perhaps humanity is "immature?" When it comes to realizing when we do harm. For example:
We want to save the environment. We get on our computers (the manufacture of computers make toxic by products) turn it on (electricity from coal?)
Find out that were out of paper ( deforestation)
Get into our hybrids (hybrid batteries are super toxic during manufacture) drive to Office depot(carbon, co2, smog) attempt to purchase paper ( with a bank card of course-made of plastic) card is declined. You then call the bank (on a phone made in china using who knows what type of child labor, toxic chemicals, etc.) it was a bank error of course. place the purchased paper in a plastic shopping bag. Then drive home and begin saving the world.

Nothing evil there, right?
Just stuff we must learn to do better .

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#567259 Nov 29, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Even your shortest responses are insults. Why don't you tone it down a bit?
Yeah, listen up booots.

Try to be more friendly, upbeat, sensitive, thoughtful and nice.

Like nano.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#567260 Nov 29, 2012
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>Good for your friend. Focus on the exception rather than the rule. Focus on that exception rather than the fact that untreated diabetes can and often does result in blindness and loss of limbs and even death.
Whatever makes ya all warm and fuzzy inside, RR.
Now- tell me the "I have a friend" story about people with cancer, heart disease or who have suffered a stroke.
Tell me how their bodies "self-healed" without any form of treatment by a medical professional.
Why bother? You won't listen.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

Since: Apr 12

Orlando but NYC born & raised

#567261 Nov 29, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Why bother? You won't listen.
If I want to hear about people being "self-healed" from cancer, heart disease or stroke, I'll read the National Enquirer on the supermarket check-out line.

There is certainly much we can do to PREVENT getting any of the above diseases- not too much we can do to TREAT them ourselves once we have them and certainly not once they reach the critical stages.

That is why PREVENTIVE medical care is so important and makes ring so very true the old adage that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Still, even using our best efforts to stay healthy and prevent disease and illness, it can and does still happen.

Finding out early enough and having it medically treated often does mean the difference between life and death.

Location hidden

#567262 Nov 29, 2012
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
Evil is such a rough word. Perhaps humanity is "immature?" When it comes to realizing when we do harm. For example:
We want to save the environment. We get on our computers (the manufacture of computers make toxic by products) turn it on (electricity from coal?)
Find out that were out of paper ( deforestation)
Get into our hybrids (hybrid batteries are super toxic during manufacture) drive to Office depot(carbon, co2, smog) attempt to purchase paper ( with a bank card of course-made of plastic) card is declined. You then call the bank (on a phone made in china using who knows what type of child labor, toxic chemicals, etc.) it was a bank error of course. place the purchased paper in a plastic shopping bag. Then drive home and begin saving the world.
Nothing evil there, right?
Just stuff we must learn to do better .
I wasn't claiming that our every day activities that happen to harm the environment make us evil - misguided, but not evil. I shouldn't have even used that word - but when I said it, I meant that some people are capable of doing great harm to other living beings on purpose - occasionally for what they think is a "good" cause. I think one of our scariest traits as a species is the ability to do objectively horrible things while deluding ourselves into thinking we are doing it for "good;" for example - Hitler didn't think he was a bad guy, and the guys that dropped the bomb on Japan thought they were doing it for a good reason.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 9 min June VanDerMark 548,959
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 17 min waaasssuuup 602,284
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 19 min Thinking 230,133
Father of beheaded man blames Bush, not Zarqawi (Jun '06) 28 min swedenforever 40
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 56 min Tim Osman 118,680
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr Dr_Zorderz 261,722
How to Talk Masturbation with Your Kids. 1 hr andet1987 3
Hot gays in Abu Dhabi (Nov '13) 2 hr i want it 1,074

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE