Prove there's a god.

“O'si yo!”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#567534 Nov 30, 2012
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Is the Biblical claim that the Earth was created in six days accurate? Because that is demonstrably false. And nowhere does it say the Hebrew word for "day", yom, in Genesis is anything other than a 24 hour period.
<quoted text>
So what's up with two millenia of Catholics thinking that wine and crackers turn literally into blood and flesh during the Eucharist?
<quoted text>
Sounds to me like you yourself acknowledge that metaphor in the Bible is pretty subjective. Kinda undermines the idea that it's an important book of instructions left by a powerful deity concerned with clarity of message, doesn't it?
the bible isn't speaking of a 24 hr day in mans calander.
the bible says a day unto the Lord is like a thousand years to us.

“O'si yo!”

Location hidden

#567535 Nov 30, 2012
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
That is fine and good, and we had prayers, Bible Readings, etc., in schools when I went too, UIF, but of course, now with both countries having many more people many of which do not belong to the Christian religions, and because the Christian denominations have so many different ways of teaching, usually those that want their kids educated in the Bible send their kids to a private church run school.
We even have a situation in Canada where our government, speaking of Ontario, as the schools are provincially run, began providing addition funding to some separate schools back in perhaps the 1980s and that was brought in by our retiring premier as a concession likely to some help he had got from certain religions, and this particular guy was even the attendant at my uncle's wedding when my uncle remarried (he was a widower) during his time in government.
There was a big outcry about that at the time from many of the churches. I know mine, being the largest denomination, was very much against it, because it was providing tax payers' assistance to religious schools when we already were taxed for the public schools.
In my opinion that was a criminal act, and I don't know why there wasn't something done about it at the time, and I think there has been some talk about it since with governments changing every so often to rectify that.
However, back to now, no government in a free country should permit their government laws to be controlled by any religion, while, of course, representation in the government itself would be from the population and the voters would put in whoever they wanted, and if they were religious people, then certainly they would be making decisions based on their own consciences, influenced of course, by their beliefs.
Religions, of course, have the rights, as do private individuals, to lobby the government to ask for rights and privileges, but honest governors would never make their decisions strictly on any minority group. In that vein the governments are not enacting gay marriage rights just because some gay activists have asked them to, but rather because it is the will of the people through their elected representatives to have that law in place.
In reality though many things are decided by who has the most money to buy the votes, and no group as small as the population of gays, is going to be able to buy a government to change laws.
The fact is that humans in general are moving to right all the past human abuse situations, such as slavery, persecution of minorities, persecution of religious groups, and persecution of gays.
thats why we have serperation of government and the church here.

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#567536 Nov 30, 2012
United in faith wrote:
<quoted text>
the bible isn't speaking of a 24 hr day in mans calander.
the bible says a day unto the Lord is like a thousand years to us.
My mans calander is achy.

What should I do?

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#567537 Nov 30, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Will Ar Ar concede, or will he explode?
I'm going to call my sentient umbrella, just in case.
Sir Tide, I put my money on RR firing off some stupid, dismissive comment that does nothing to answer the questions.

But I'm just guessing here! Any takers??? 5 to 1 odds! Place your bets!

“O'si yo!”

Location hidden

#567538 Nov 30, 2012
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps on a tv show, and in RRs mind, but if your kid is standing up to 10 gang members in some field that he crossed on his way home from school, he is going to get hurt worse the more harm he inflicts on his attackers. Yes, fight to the death if he knows he is going to die, but otherwise run like hell, and scream for help. Bullies are cowards and for that reason they usually gather other bullies around them to protect each other.
well yeah, ten against one, RUN!
i was thinking about bullys in school, like how kids tease other kids for wearing glasses or talking funny or being fat or to skinny.
that kind of bullying goes on all the time, always has, and kids should be taught to stand up to such people and not let them intimidate them with unkind words.
i remember one when i was in school ( a VERY long time ago) we had this punky kid who always went around picking on other kids, this one day in the cafeteria he called this little skinny kid "four eyes" and the next thing you know, that LITTLE skinny kid slammed his food tray up against the back of his head as hard as he could, and pea's and milk went everywhere, the bully grabbed his head and yelled out in pain, everyone laughed. he got a taste of what it felt like to be laughed at by others and he didn't like it.
He started to run after the little skinny boy but a teacher stepped in and grabbed him by the shirt collar and marched him off to detention. the little skinny boy didn't get in trouble.
everyone applauded the little kid and from that on, he wasn't bullied anymore.
what a great life lesson that was.
feces for jesus

East Meadow, NY

#567539 Nov 30, 2012
United in faith wrote:
<quoted text>
so what you are saying is, that i must abandon what i know to be true and lie by telling others they might be right about God allowing them to live in contridiction to what His scriptures say?
I can't do that OCB.
and i do respect others in 2 ways
one: there right to voice their opinion and believe how ever they choose to.
that doesn't mean i must agree
Two: there right to be treated with civility and common curtiousy.
what kind of a Christian would i be if i ignored the will of God and was nonchalaunt and complacent in my thoughts and deeds?
There is only one God OCB.
ONE Creator God.
just as there is ONE truth.
I must be who i am, and speak from my heart.
that doesn't mean we can't disagree.
Arrogant much?

Please provide objective evidence that the bible is the word of god and all your other claims.

Until then, you're just talking out of your behind.

“O'si yo!”

Location hidden

#567540 Nov 30, 2012
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, that is a fair question, and I can add 'I believe' to what I state, but in most cases, except if I post a quote or link, and don't make a comment, I am stating what I believe is the truth, so it just saves words.
Because we have to take a lot of facts as being true, such as the danger of a nuclear power plant melting down which has already happened several times in the world, and that if a space vehicle enters back into the atmosphere without protective shielding or with damaged protective shielding our scientists claim that it will blow up or disintegrate. We knew that theoretically based on science knowledge but when it actually happened just a few years ago killing 7 people, millions of people watched the broken up vehicle flying overhead either live or on tv.
There are just two many scientific facts for any one person to research each one of them himself, so we learn that there are certain avenues of which knowledge is gathered and reported, and which is considered accurate enough to risk people's lives on, and we accept those as being true, unless later they are found to have had some unforeseen error.
These things keep getting amended all the time as new information is discovered, but some things have held true for a long time with many different forms of research, and some of those are proved evidence that the earth did not have The Flood. With that knowledge the Flood story has no choice but to be taken as a myth.
It can't be true.
That is one example of many.
In that vein, I would guess, but I can't actually prove, that no publication put out by a fundamentalist Christian organization would be accepted by the generally accepted science community as fact, except when they report only what the accepted reputable science journals have reported, and the source is the respected journals, not the religious publications.
ya see, thats what i don't understand. How it is you can be so 'fixed' in your belief a world flood would be impossible.
thats silly.

there was a ice age.......that froze the planet, where did all that water go?
it killed everything on it.......great big old dinosours!

towns and cities are flooded all the time.
Tsunami's take out entire towns and cities sometimes.

why do you find it impossible to think it could happen?

“O'si yo!”

Location hidden

#567541 Nov 30, 2012
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
UIF, I think that hostility shown by people, against Christians, on this site, is due to their being personally attacked frequently, rather than having their points debated on. That is my opinion, anyway.
actually thats not how i see it.

a Christian will 'state' they oppose something based on their biblical teaching.
for example: i might say i think abortion is murder
i believe same sex is immoral BECAUSE the bible teaches such, and since i love God and wish to live my life in HIS word, then of course i am going to agree with what the bible teaches.

Then an UNbeliever who engages in such things and sees nothing wrong with it, will take what i said as a personal attack on them.
which is it not.
they will receive my opinion in a threatening way.
thats not my fault.
I should not have to sugar coat truth, or be silent, or pretend to agree with things i know in my heart are wrong.

So, what is needed here is common sense.
the ability to reason in a civil manner and NOT take what is said as a personal attack.
thats the ONLY way people can have healthy and mature conversations here, by not taking what is said as a personal attack
and if someone means to make personal attacks they don't belong here.
they belong back in pre-school where they can be taught how to get along with others when they don't see eye to eye on things.

“I never claimed to be Perfect”

Since: Nov 10

just better than yesterday

#567542 Nov 30, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow! On so many levels, wow!
Wait, what???
Slavery is ok, relatively speaking?!? Really??? Where? Why? How do you justify that slavery is ok in some places but not others?
Second, so...your God has "relative morals"??? Your deity is not a perfect moral being? Ok, no problem! That explains a lot - clears up all the problems I have with the Bible, in fact. You see, I mistakenly thought Christians "knew" their deity was the only perfect moral being in the universe, from which all morality is derived.
But hey, if you don't hold that claim, and your deity is just relatively moral, that explains how your religion changes throughout the centuries and why the morality of 2000 years ago is written in your holy books.
What is moral? Isn't morality simply dictated by the people within a society and within that time and place? Just my 1/2 cent.

Fremont, CA

#567543 Nov 30, 2012
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
What is moral? Isn't morality simply dictated by the people within a society and within that time and place? Just my 1/2 cent.
You don't believe in natural law? In universal, binding rules of moral behavior?
deftone

United States

#567544 Nov 30, 2012
Peove theres god. U waking up every morning. Ur heart beating is more than proof theres a god.

#567545 Nov 30, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I am. You wouldn't last longer than 30 seconds with me.
I love wrastling! Be careful of my rear naked choke hold!

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#567546 Nov 30, 2012
United in faith wrote:
<quoted text>do you know why some folks beat cancer and others don't? because everyone has an appointed time to die.
.. is that why you want to send all the gays to Uganda ??..

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#567547 Nov 30, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow! On so many levels, wow!
Wait, what???
Slavery is ok, relatively speaking?!? Really??? Where? Why? How do you justify that slavery is ok in some places but not others?
Second, so...your God has "relative morals"??? Your deity is not a perfect moral being? Ok, no problem! That explains a lot - clears up all the problems I have with the Bible, in fact. You see, I mistakenly thought Christians "knew" their deity was the only perfect moral being in the universe, from which all morality is derived.
But hey, if you don't hold that claim, and your deity is just relatively moral, that explains how your religion changes throughout the centuries and why the morality of 2000 years ago is written in your holy books.
I don't justify that slavery is legal. Some people & cultures do, though. At the time the bible was written, slavery was accepted as the norm.

#567548 Nov 30, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't believe in natural law? In universal, binding rules of moral behavior?
Like always the same for every one everywhere like the law of gravity?
Universal laws probably don't exist as the definition will be different for everyone.

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#567549 Nov 30, 2012
United in faith wrote:
<quoted text>
actually thats not how i see it.
a Christian will 'state' they oppose something based on their biblical teaching.
for example: i might say i think abortion is murder
i believe same sex is immoral BECAUSE the bible teaches such, and since i love God and wish to live my life in HIS word, then of course i am going to agree with what the bible teaches.
Then an UNbeliever who engages in such things and sees nothing wrong with it, will take what i said as a personal attack on them.
which is it not.
they will receive my opinion in a threatening way.
thats not my fault.
I should not have to sugar coat truth, or be silent, or pretend to agree with things i know in my heart are wrong.
So, what is needed here is common sense.
the ability to reason in a civil manner and NOT take what is said as a personal attack.
thats the ONLY way people can have healthy and mature conversations here, by not taking what is said as a personal attack
and if someone means to make personal attacks they don't belong here.
they belong back in pre-school where they can be taught how to get along with others when they don't see eye to eye on things.
.. is that why you want to ship American gays to Uganda ??..

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#567550 Nov 30, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I am. You wouldn't last longer than 30 seconds with me.
Hey! That only happened once!
Belief in God is Faith

West Hills, CA

#567551 Nov 30, 2012
Apocalypse666 wrote:
Come on and do it.
Prove there's a god.
Don;t read off scripture or anything like that just prove there's a god.
Belief in God is called faith which means by definition believing in something that you cannot prove. It is called the leap of faith. Even though you cannot prove it logically, millions of intelligent down to earth logical people have taken this leap of faith. I myself am a Science and Math teacher who believes in Science and Logic has taken this leap and believes in a Catholic God.

Fremont, CA

#567552 Nov 30, 2012
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
Like always the same for every one everywhere like the law of gravity?
Universal laws probably don't exist as the definition will be different for everyone.
Yes, the same for everybody.

I believe there ARE universal moral principles. They are based on empathy. The concept goes way back to Plato and Aristotle, was embraced by Aquinas, and later by Locke, Grotius and other thinkers. In fact, our Declaration of Independence embraces the concept of a natural law--universal moral principles.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#567553 Nov 30, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
It's hard to quit, boooots.
Yes, I know that and I have had friends and roommates, who told me they would quit at New Years, and they did and were back smoking a few days later.

One person that I knew well while farming who was born in Holland and would be in his 70s now, was a very heavy smoker, as was his sister's husband who farmed with him. He told me at church one day, when I was visiting my parents and saw him at church, that he had gone in for a breathing test, ordered by his doctor, and when he was tested he was told that his breathing was severely impaired,(his words were different than that but I don't recall exactly how he expressed it). He said he walked out of the test place, and smoked one cigarette then tossed his package of cigarettes in the garbage, and never tried to smoke again. What he had learned during the test scared him so bad. He had been off them for several years when he told me the story.

He also told me that his brother-in-law had seen what he did and decided to do the same, and he too had quit cold turkey. I found their stories quite unusual but this person is someone who would have no reason to make up stories on that subject, so at least for him and his brother-in-law, it did work.

Sometimes when you hear a smoker coughing between puffs on his cigarette, occasionally hardly able to stop coughing, one notices too, how he is being impacted by what he is doing.

I haven't been involved in anti-smoking discussions for quite a while as the no smoking laws have been in force here for quite a few years now, and it seems that many places keep adding to where people cannot smoke, which I have heard that some American cities say you cannot smoke anywhere within their limits, except in your own home.

Of course there are restrictions being placed on homes too, in some places if young people or disabled people live there. I know that most places do not permit smoking in private homes that take in children for day care.

I am hopeful that making it harder for a person to actually find a place and the time to smoke, is helping some to see that they need to stop.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 7 min guest 647,108
Just HOW angry is Satan??? 22 min Thinking 28
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 1 hr Ooogah Boogah 49,698
how long after taking the Vivitrol shot can i f... (Nov '12) 1 hr Sonny Wu 167
Israel End is Near (Feb '15) 1 hr Steve III 391
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 hr MUQ2 281,296
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 2 hr MUQ2 44,733
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 4 hr Annaleigh 105,693
my cousin touches me when i am asleep and i kin... (Mar '14) 8 hr poptropaa 44
topix drops human sexuality forum.......this be... 17 hr Jockfullonutz 28
More from around the web