Prove there's a god.

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#567546 Nov 30, 2012
United in faith wrote:
<quoted text>do you know why some folks beat cancer and others don't? because everyone has an appointed time to die.
.. is that why you want to send all the gays to Uganda ??..

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#567547 Nov 30, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow! On so many levels, wow!
Wait, what???
Slavery is ok, relatively speaking?!? Really??? Where? Why? How do you justify that slavery is ok in some places but not others?
Second, so...your God has "relative morals"??? Your deity is not a perfect moral being? Ok, no problem! That explains a lot - clears up all the problems I have with the Bible, in fact. You see, I mistakenly thought Christians "knew" their deity was the only perfect moral being in the universe, from which all morality is derived.
But hey, if you don't hold that claim, and your deity is just relatively moral, that explains how your religion changes throughout the centuries and why the morality of 2000 years ago is written in your holy books.
I don't justify that slavery is legal. Some people & cultures do, though. At the time the bible was written, slavery was accepted as the norm.

“I never claimed to be Perfect”

Since: Nov 10

just better than yesterday

#567548 Nov 30, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't believe in natural law? In universal, binding rules of moral behavior?
Like always the same for every one everywhere like the law of gravity?
Universal laws probably don't exist as the definition will be different for everyone.

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#567549 Nov 30, 2012
United in faith wrote:
<quoted text>
actually thats not how i see it.
a Christian will 'state' they oppose something based on their biblical teaching.
for example: i might say i think abortion is murder
i believe same sex is immoral BECAUSE the bible teaches such, and since i love God and wish to live my life in HIS word, then of course i am going to agree with what the bible teaches.
Then an UNbeliever who engages in such things and sees nothing wrong with it, will take what i said as a personal attack on them.
which is it not.
they will receive my opinion in a threatening way.
thats not my fault.
I should not have to sugar coat truth, or be silent, or pretend to agree with things i know in my heart are wrong.
So, what is needed here is common sense.
the ability to reason in a civil manner and NOT take what is said as a personal attack.
thats the ONLY way people can have healthy and mature conversations here, by not taking what is said as a personal attack
and if someone means to make personal attacks they don't belong here.
they belong back in pre-school where they can be taught how to get along with others when they don't see eye to eye on things.
.. is that why you want to ship American gays to Uganda ??..

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#567550 Nov 30, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I am. You wouldn't last longer than 30 seconds with me.
Hey! That only happened once!
Belief in God is Faith

West Hills, CA

#567551 Nov 30, 2012
Apocalypse666 wrote:
Come on and do it.
Prove there's a god.
Don;t read off scripture or anything like that just prove there's a god.
Belief in God is called faith which means by definition believing in something that you cannot prove. It is called the leap of faith. Even though you cannot prove it logically, millions of intelligent down to earth logical people have taken this leap of faith. I myself am a Science and Math teacher who believes in Science and Logic has taken this leap and believes in a Catholic God.

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#567552 Nov 30, 2012
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
Like always the same for every one everywhere like the law of gravity?
Universal laws probably don't exist as the definition will be different for everyone.
Yes, the same for everybody.

I believe there ARE universal moral principles. They are based on empathy. The concept goes way back to Plato and Aristotle, was embraced by Aquinas, and later by Locke, Grotius and other thinkers. In fact, our Declaration of Independence embraces the concept of a natural law--universal moral principles.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#567553 Nov 30, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
It's hard to quit, boooots.
Yes, I know that and I have had friends and roommates, who told me they would quit at New Years, and they did and were back smoking a few days later.

One person that I knew well while farming who was born in Holland and would be in his 70s now, was a very heavy smoker, as was his sister's husband who farmed with him. He told me at church one day, when I was visiting my parents and saw him at church, that he had gone in for a breathing test, ordered by his doctor, and when he was tested he was told that his breathing was severely impaired,(his words were different than that but I don't recall exactly how he expressed it). He said he walked out of the test place, and smoked one cigarette then tossed his package of cigarettes in the garbage, and never tried to smoke again. What he had learned during the test scared him so bad. He had been off them for several years when he told me the story.

He also told me that his brother-in-law had seen what he did and decided to do the same, and he too had quit cold turkey. I found their stories quite unusual but this person is someone who would have no reason to make up stories on that subject, so at least for him and his brother-in-law, it did work.

Sometimes when you hear a smoker coughing between puffs on his cigarette, occasionally hardly able to stop coughing, one notices too, how he is being impacted by what he is doing.

I haven't been involved in anti-smoking discussions for quite a while as the no smoking laws have been in force here for quite a few years now, and it seems that many places keep adding to where people cannot smoke, which I have heard that some American cities say you cannot smoke anywhere within their limits, except in your own home.

Of course there are restrictions being placed on homes too, in some places if young people or disabled people live there. I know that most places do not permit smoking in private homes that take in children for day care.

I am hopeful that making it harder for a person to actually find a place and the time to smoke, is helping some to see that they need to stop.

“I never claimed to be Perfect”

Since: Nov 10

just better than yesterday

#567554 Nov 30, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, the same for everybody.
I believe there ARE universal moral principles. They are based on empathy. The concept goes way back to Plato and Aristotle, was embraced by Aquinas, and later by Locke, Grotius and other thinkers. In fact, our Declaration of Independence embraces the concept of a natural law--universal moral principles.
Just yankin yer chain Catcher. I have some interesting things to say on the matter, but unfortunately the meds today are making my brain a bit foggy today. I'll just probably open my big mouth today and step into a big steaming pile.
Hey Catcher! Thanks for those old pictures of Rancho Cucamonga. It's really sad to see that those one of a kind landmarks are gone and its place sit Starbucks and dollar stores.
Riding through downtown Upland, Fontana brings back memories of growing up in old town Anaheim for me. Where at the time you could go behind city hall and still see where the horses were tied up.

Location hidden

#567555 Nov 30, 2012
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>I believe some health insurers rate up those who smoke, but I'm not 100% sure about that and if that is the case, it doesn't apply to group coverage.
Believe it or not, while millions have quit smoking, here in the USA, I see young people and teenagers lighting up every single day.
When I started as a teenager, there were even still cigarette commercials and you could smoke ANYWHERE- and I DO mean ANYWHERE.
Restaurants, theaters, offices, elevators, public rest rooms, stores, banks- even DOCTOR'S offices.
I would like to think that if I was a teenager today, I wouldn't touch cigarettes with a 10 foot pole, but no way of knowing if I would or not......all I know is when I started, smoking was still very much in vogue and was the thing to do.
But despite it not being at ALL the thing to do today, for every few people who quit, someone else takes up the habit.
Well kids, being rebellious, are always going to try, in some cases to do thing they shouldn't, and most don't think they will ever die anyway, or that it will happen to them.

You wouldn't get any young people to go into the fighting forces voluntarily if they didn't have an irrational belief that they would be the lucky one to not get killed or wounded. Even with driving, I know that I drove very irresponsibility when I was much younger, though I was fortunate to have also been a good enough driver that I never hurt anyone.

My oldest sister has never been a smoker, but her first husband was a heavy smoker, and he died at 57 from cancer, likely partly due to his smoking, although he had a heart bypass and a stroke at 37, and was disabled for much of the last 20 years of his life. His heart condition was likely a direct result of his smoking too.

Sadly both their kids, who are 38 and maybe 36 now have been very heavy smokers since their early teens, and for some reason my sister either didn't try hard enough, or did and just gave up trying to get them to stop. I have even said to her that if they had been my kids they would not be smoking, however she has sort of given up, and at their age now, they can't be controlled by their mother.

What is particularly sad is the daughter is almost always sick, often with breathing disorders, like colds, flus, strep throat, and her own daughter who is around 17 or so now has become a heavy smoker, and when I was with them at her mother's wedding this year to her 2nd husband, the daughter and granddaughter kept going outside every few minutes together to smoke.

I even dropped a hint a few days ago in a family email that I was responding to, directed at my sister's daughter, than I had a suggestion as to how she could avoid her repeat attacks of strep throat, or at least be stronger to fight those things off, but I said that I was holding my tongue, assuming she would know what I meant, without my saying so.

To make the story even worse, my sister's new husband is also a heavy smoker, and has had cancer a couple times, and also gets sick frequently.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#567556 Nov 30, 2012
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>Where did I say "about you"?
Stop making issues that don't exist. I asked why you are a person of such extremes that you don't want to accept that with the sweet comes the bitter?
Simple question, RR.
um.....

It's a shot in the dark, but maybe when you said the "Why are you a person of...." part I figured you were talking "about me".

I'm not that type of person. My question to you was why do you think I am?

Location hidden

#567557 Nov 30, 2012
United in faith wrote:
<quoted text>
everything you need to know about God is found in HIS word, not on you tube.
read the bible.
thats the only place you will learn what you need to know about God.
Are you at all familiar with Youtube, UIC? There is a phenomenal amount of religious videos on there, and many testimonies of Born agains. I even posted a video of my mother singing at church this summer on YT. I wanted the rest of the family who were not with her, as I was, to hear and see it, and I figured that was the best place to put it so all could see it.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#567558 Nov 30, 2012
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>Because you try to justify the evil that is in its pages-such as slavery and the condoning of slavery, that's why.
And that is just one of many examples.
Bad examples.

Exactly what evil do I justify?

I've never condoned slavery.

Try again?

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

Since: Apr 12

Orlando but NYC born & raised

#567559 Nov 30, 2012
United in faith wrote:
<quoted text>
so what you are saying is, that i must abandon what i know to be true and lie by telling others they might be right about God allowing them to live in contridiction to what His scriptures say?
I can't do that OCB.
and i do respect others in 2 ways
one: there right to voice their opinion and believe how ever they choose to.
that doesn't mean i must agree
Two: there right to be treated with civility and common curtiousy.
what kind of a Christian would i be if i ignored the will of God and was nonchalaunt and complacent in my thoughts and deeds?
There is only one God OCB.
ONE Creator God.
just as there is ONE truth.
I must be who i am, and speak from my heart.
that doesn't mean we can't disagree.
You don't have to abandon anything- what you know to be true you only know to be true for YOU.

You are basing what you think is TRUE on nothing more than UNPROVEN BELIEF.

If that floats your boat, so be it- but that really doesn't give you the right to find it "true" that for the BILLIONS in this world who don't believe as you do that they are sinners.

No one said you must agree, but it really is very disrespectful to term those who don't believe as you do "sinners".

And many of those billions in this world would tell you that the only god is ALLAH or BUDDHA, for example.

Does that make them right and you wrong? Nope. It just means you have a different BELIEF system is all.

Would you like someone to call YOU a sinner and a person who engages and frolics in sinful behavior because you believe differently than they do?

I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate it. Do know that as much as your beliefs are "true" to you, there are beliefs of BILLIONS of others which are no less "true" to them.

When all is said and done, they are ALL simply beliefs with no basic in fact as none of the MANY beliefs about who or what god is has been proven to be fact- nor is there any proof that ANY god exists.

Sure- we can talk and even disagree, but why would I really want to bother when you have made the judgement that I am a "sinner"?

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#567560 Nov 30, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
um.....
It's a shot in the dark, but maybe when you said the "Why are you a person of...." part I figured you were talking "about me".
I'm not that type of person. My question to you was why do you think I am?
Because you refuse to accept that the USA has faults and flaws and you refuse to accept that the bible has faults and flaws as well.

It's as if you think you are being a disloyal American and a disloyal Christian to find any fault with either, that's why.

Some good stuff in the bible, some bad stuff.

Some good stuff about the USA, some bad stuff.

But because I don't pretend the bad stuff about the USA doesn't exist, you accuse me of hating my country. That is simply not true.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#567561 Nov 30, 2012
United in faith wrote:
<quoted text>
thats not entirely true. you should read Suzanne Somers biography, or watch some of her interviews.
She had cancer, and she chose the NATURAL route,(foods herbs and natural methods) and she beat it.
do you know why some folks beat cancer and others don't?
because everyone has an appointed time to die.
No- that is not why some beat cancer and some don't....

sigh.......

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#567562 Nov 30, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Bad examples.
Exactly what evil do I justify?
I've never condoned slavery.
Try again?
Sigh- but the bible you believe in DOES condone slavery.

Location hidden

#567563 Nov 30, 2012
United in faith wrote:
<quoted text>
thats not entirely true. you should read Suzanne Somers biography, or watch some of her interviews.
She had cancer, and she chose the NATURAL route,(foods herbs and natural methods) and she beat it.
do you know why some folks beat cancer and others don't?
because everyone has an appointed time to die.
In that case, then UIF, would it not make more sense, to just scrap all our high cost doctors, hospitals, and medications, and research to look for means to fight various diseases, and just let every one die, when God has appointed it, as they will anyway?

Location hidden

#567564 Nov 30, 2012
United in faith wrote:
<quoted text>
so what you are saying is, that i must abandon what i know to be true and lie by telling others they might be right about God allowing them to live in contridiction to what His scriptures say?
I can't do that OCB.
and i do respect others in 2 ways
one: there right to voice their opinion and believe how ever they choose to.
that doesn't mean i must agree
Two: there right to be treated with civility and common curtiousy.
what kind of a Christian would i be if i ignored the will of God and was nonchalaunt and complacent in my thoughts and deeds?
There is only one God OCB.
ONE Creator God.
just as there is ONE truth.
I must be who i am, and speak from my heart.
that doesn't mean we can't disagree.
I think there might be an exception to that, UIF, as I think that a good Christian, if they value the rights of others, would refrain from proselyting on a specific web site, where others were trying to discuss a particular topic, such as this one, which is about proof of there being gods or a god, rather than what those gods or god want man to do.

If someone started witnessing every time they got an opportunity, say while in a busy line at the grocery store, when mothers are getting short tempered wanting to get out of there so they can get home to their kids, or while working at an office job, where the boss is paying the people to work 100% of the time, they are at work, and to not get sidetracked into someone spending time trying to sell them some product, or teach them about something which has nothing to do with the work they are doing.

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#567565 Nov 30, 2012
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
Just yankin yer chain Catcher. I have some interesting things to say on the matter, but unfortunately the meds today are making my brain a bit foggy today. I'll just probably open my big mouth today and step into a big steaming pile.
Hey Catcher! Thanks for those old pictures of Rancho Cucamonga. It's really sad to see that those one of a kind landmarks are gone and its place sit Starbucks and dollar stores.
Riding through downtown Upland, Fontana brings back memories of growing up in old town Anaheim for me. Where at the time you could go behind city hall and still see where the horses were tied up.
Yeah, I hear you. In the old days it was Cucamonga, without the Rancho it seems.

Did you see all the other old pictures, L.A. etc.?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Letter: DNC accept responsibility 1 min PoliciaFederal 42
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 min New Age Spiritual... 667,755
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 5 min Rider on the Storm 92,611
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr Student 46,035
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 1 hr Rider on the Storm 183,621
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 5 hr onemales son 286,022
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 6 hr dolarsbill 19,322
More from around the web