Wait.... Did I just....

beat you?

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#567589 Nov 30, 2012
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
What is moral? Isn't morality simply dictated by the people within a society and within that time and place? Just my 1/2 cent.
i thought you were a believer, Al, is in God, Bible and all that?
or, are you one of those handwringing lutheran-types like in germany circa 1930's that say (in an emasculated nasal tone) "well, we can't really know what the bible means when it says "sexual immorality" and after all it's really only alagorical"?

if so, i'm gonna consider you officially in the oprah/obama 'christian' camp:)

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#567590 Nov 30, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Very good. And the "laws" it has written in it about slaves were "laws" for the Hebrews & Levites, NOT everyone.
If you read a US history book, it talks about Americans owning slaves. Does that mean you as an American can own a slave? Nope. It's a historical record.
<quoted text>
Really? Me? Show me that scripture please.
<quoted text>
But that would be false. What would be better is "the Bible texts regarding slavery were applicable during those times'.
Ever read some of the crazy "laws" in Leviticus? Do you think any of those are at all a "law" for any Christian today?
<quoted text>
It's really simple. Watch.
I don't condone slavery.
Thanks for responding and being honest that those "laws" don't apply anymore, thus, those books that contain those "laws" are no longer valid in today's society.

But you can't separate them from the book you think is "true for all mankind", huh? Which places you into a conundrum.

Do you believe in parts of the Bible to be "true for all of mankind" or just parts of it?

Which applies to you?

Please be honest.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#567591 Nov 30, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Very good. And the "laws" it has written in it about slaves were "laws" for the Hebrews & Levites, NOT everyone.
If you read a US history book, it talks about Americans owning slaves. Does that mean you as an American can own a slave? Nope. It's a historical record.
<quoted text>
Really? Me? Show me that scripture please.
<quoted text>
But that would be false. What would be better is "the Bible texts regarding slavery were applicable during those times'.
Ever read some of the crazy "laws" in Leviticus? Do you think any of those are at all a "law" for any Christian today?
<quoted text>
It's really simple. Watch.
I don't condone slavery.
BTW - you missed the point when you responded with this:
"If you read a US history book, it talks about Americans owning slaves. Does that mean you as an American can own a slave? Nope. It's a historical record."
- slavery was outlawed and considered a crime, thus it is no more a "law" for Americans. Maybe you didn't read the same history books I had, if you have to pose a scenario in the manner you did. In actuality, it sounds like you are trying to defend the Bible and what it says.
- Face the fact - slavery is wrong, anything to do with slavery is wrong - in which, the Bible is wrong as related to the issue. Thus, the Bible should no longer be considered a source of "Truth" from "God". But you don't see it this way, huh?
- Do you disregard that portion of the Bible, and just skip over it, and then make the claim the other parts are still valid?

What say you?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#567592 Nov 30, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I hope that doctors get their financial butts beat when they screw up.
Me, too. But that's not what we were talking about. We were talking about patients screwing up and taking their doctors down with them.

I hope that you don't get your neurological, cardiac or renal butt beat up for your decisions. Dialysis is a bitch, and so is hemiparesis.

Do you know what your blood pressure is? Do you know the size of your heart or the condition of your coronary arteries? Do you have a third or fourth heart sound (look up S3 gallop). What do you hear when you listen?

Do you know your renal function? Give me your BUN, your serum creatinine, and your body mass, and I'll tell you. We can estimate your GFR, or you can do it yourself at http://www.medcalc.com/gfr.html . You don't happen to know if you have albuminuria, do you? That would be a red flag if it exceeds 1-2+ on a dipstick. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albuminuria

You don't have any other risk factors for cerebrovascular, cardiovascular, peripheral vascular (legs/femoral arteries, aorta) or renovascular disease, do you, such as hyperlipidemia, glucose intolerance or metabolic syndrome? Because the goals of therapy are stricter there.

We've learned a lot in the last few decades. When I began in 1984, systolic pressures of 135/90 and total cholesterols of 300 were considered normal. Not any more! Not even close. Why? Because people with systolics of 110 do better than those with systolics of 120. And those with LDL cholesterols under 100 do better than those with an LDL of 130.

What are your numbers?

Just kidding, I realize that you have no idea.

If anybody is interested in any of these issues, don't hesitate to inquire, whether privately or on the thread. I give it away now. I advised two friends recently, both fellow bridge players. Brad was depressed, and Charles has gout. Brad is almost seventy, and has been treating his depression with pot, which works until it wears off. Fluoxetine 20mg daily for the first, because it's safe, inexpensive, and usually at least partially efficacious, and allopurinol 300 mg daily for the other.

Yep, pills. Because they work.

“I never claimed to be Perfect”

Since: Nov 10

just better than yesterday

#567594 Nov 30, 2012
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
i thought you were a believer, Al, is in God, Bible and all that?
or, are you one of those handwrkinging lutheran-types like in germany circa 1930's that say (in an emasculated nasal tone) "well, we can't really know what the bible means when it says "sexual immorality" and after all it's really only alagorical"?
if so, i'm gonna consider you officially in the oprah/obama 'christian' camp:)
lol! I'm not sure what an "Oprah/Obama Christian" is. But my brain is mush today so I don't know what the hell I'm posting today.
I messed up my back a few days ago and the muscle relaxers are messing with my thought processes. Feel free to consider me whatever you'd like. That's your right.
I'll probably look back on my posts tomorrow and say "Did I say that!" Lol!
Peace Waaaasssup!

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

Since: Apr 12

Orlando but NYC born & raised

#567595 Nov 30, 2012
Sorry- *weak*

Fennario

#567596 Nov 30, 2012
United in faith wrote:
Our founding fathers fled religious persecution and created a new world (America) where people are free to EXERCISE their faith without government meddling.
You're confused. The Pilgrims, who fled England to escape religious persecution in the early seventeenth century, were not the Founders, who lived in the late eighteenth.
United in faith wrote:
Anyone who would want to take that away, is not an American
Sarah Palin was also into identifying True Americans™. I sure miss her.
United in faith wrote:
Religion in America has NEVER EVER harmed anyone.
It's harmed you more than me, but it has harmed us both.
United in faith wrote:
If you think restrictions should be placed on the freedoms of people to 'live' their faith openly, then the same restrictions should be put on ANTI-religious folks that harm others with their ungodly philosophies and behavior.
I don't think that you should be free to do whatever you like religiously. Me, neither.

Fennario

#567597 Nov 30, 2012
United in faith wrote:
then i will provide you with a history link telling you that the bible WAS used as a teaching tool in schools up until the 60s.
The public schools don't exist to assist your churches.

Fennario

#567598 Nov 30, 2012
United in faith wrote:
why are you so hostile toward Christians?
Christianity, not Christians. And here's part of the reason why:

"The fool says in his heart,'There is no God.' They are corrupt, their deeds are vile; there is no one who does good" - Psalm 14:1

"But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone." - Revelation 21:8

Didn't the authors of those words just call me corrupt, vile, abominable, no good, the moral equivalent of liars, murderers and whoremongers, and fit for eternal torture? Why wouldn't I hate the religion that teaches people to think that way about me?

Can you answer that? Why wouldn't I hate that?
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#567599 Nov 30, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't see confirmation of metaphor in the genealogy of Adam, unless you are simply declaring mythology and error metaphor. What is Adam a metaphor for, and how do you know?
HughBe --my guess is that the genealogy of Adam confirms that the account is a metaphor. So this metaphorical Adam lived x years and had a son, and then his son lived y years and had a son and so on for hundreds of years and in fact thousands of years.

So---I don't see confirmation of metaphor in the genealogy of Adam, unless you are simply declaring mythology and error metaphor. What is Adam a metaphor for, and how do you know?

HughBe--- My words were sarcastic. The existence of a lineage from Adam shows that it is NOT a metaphor. One does not trace one's lineage to an imaginary person.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#567600 Nov 30, 2012
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for responding and being honest that those "laws" don't apply anymore, thus, those books that contain those "laws" are no longer valid in today's society.
But you can't separate them from the book you think is "true for all mankind", huh? Which places you into a conundrum.
Do you believe in parts of the Bible to be "true for all of mankind" or just parts of it?
Which applies to you?
Please be honest.
The laws about slavery don't apply but the moral of the stories do. Keep that in mind.
Just like paying 50 shekels doesn't apply anymore....

Fennario

#567601 Nov 30, 2012
justhuman99 wrote:
http://youtu.be/GfmERwdaT5w
try this one too.
Your religion is just as disgusting as the Christians' religion. Fortunately, it's mostly on the other side of the world.

Qur’an 8:12 - I will instill terror into the hearts of the unbelievers, Smite ye above their necks and smite all their finger tips of them." [Here Mohammed is giving step by step instruction on how to torture and kill infidels if they don't follow Islam.]

Qur’an 9:5 - "slay the idolators wherever ye find them, and take them (captive), and besiege them and prepare for them each ambush."

Qur’an 9:73 - Prophet, make war on the unbelievers and the hypocrites and deal rigorously with them. Hell shall be their Home: an evil fate.

Qur’an 47:4 - When you meet the unbelievers in the Jihad strike off their heads and, when you have laid them low, bind your captives firmly. Then grant them their freedom or take ransom from them, until War shall lay down her burdens.

Qur’an 5:51 - Believers, take neither Jews nor Christians for your friends.

Qur’an 5:57 - Believers, do not seek the friendship of the infidels

Qur’an 9:29 - Fight those who believe not in Allah

Qur’an 98:1-8 - The unbelievers among the People of the Book and the pagans shall burn for ever in the fire of Hell. They are the vilest of all creatures.

Qur’an 40:67-40:73 - Those who have denied the Book and the message We sent through Our apostles shall realize the truth hereafter: when, with chains and shackles round their necks, they shall be dragged through scalding water and then burnt in the fire of Hell.

How beautiful!

Fennario

#567602 Nov 30, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
I am not here to "win" friends or influence anybody
That's more realistic than most of your posts.

Fennario

#567603 Nov 30, 2012
wilderide wrote:
Hey IANS! How's Mexico?
Bien bien. How about a visit? We'll show you around. You might like it.

“LOL Really?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#567604 Nov 30, 2012
United in faith wrote:
<quoted text>

because everyone has an appointed time to die.
So you're OK with abortion? Obviously, if it's not the appointed time to die, the abortion will fail, right?
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#567605 Nov 30, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Christianity, not Christians. And here's part of the reason why:
"The fool says in his heart,'There is no God.' They are corrupt, their deeds are vile; there is no one who does good" - Psalm 14:1
"But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone." - Revelation 21:8
Didn't the authors of those words just call me corrupt, vile, abominable, no good, the moral equivalent of liars, murderers and whoremongers, and fit for eternal torture? Why wouldn't I hate the religion that teaches people to think that way about me?
Can you answer that? Why wouldn't I hate that?
So---Didn't the authors of those words just call me corrupt, vile, abominable, no good, the moral equivalent of liars, murderers and whoremongers, and fit for eternal torture?

HughBe--- NO.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#567606 Nov 30, 2012
OCB wrote:
<quoted text> I will assume this is another week attempt at humor on your part -otherwise if you're lumping the common cold in with any number of cancers and if you're assuming that the body self-heals from cancer like it does from the common cold there is really no hope for you.
And no - I am not obviously wrong about the Bible but it's obvious is that the Bible is open to any interpretation but it's also very clear that slavery is just fine and dandy in the bible.
What have I been attempting for week? lol

The bible can be interpreted just as any book can. But there is only one true meaning in each scripture.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#567607 Nov 30, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
There's just as much "evidence" out there that the flood happened as there is that it didn't.
It's an unproven, untestable theory.
Rather than get back into this again, for well over the 100th time, why not you do some research on that, because you are absolutely wrong.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#567609 Nov 30, 2012
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
BTW - you missed the point when you responded with this:
"If you read a US history book, it talks about Americans owning slaves. Does that mean you as an American can own a slave? Nope. It's a historical record."
- slavery was outlawed and considered a crime, thus it is no more a "law" for Americans. Maybe you didn't read the same history books I had, if you have to pose a scenario in the manner you did. In actuality, it sounds like you are trying to defend the Bible and what it says.
- Face the fact - slavery is wrong, anything to do with slavery is wrong - in which, the Bible is wrong as related to the issue. Thus, the Bible should no longer be considered a source of "Truth" from "God". But you don't see it this way, huh?
- Do you disregard that portion of the Bible, and just skip over it, and then make the claim the other parts are still valid?
What say you?
Slavery is wrong, yes. But just as Americans didn't know that 100 years ago, Hebrews & Levites didn't know it on their time either.

And since God gives us free will, He'd give us the freedom to either accept or repulse slavery. Since He knew that they kept slaves (and that we still do today), He wanted them treated better. And paid.

It's not that God condones slavery, He does condone humans, He loves us all no matter what we do.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 2 min Bobby Bobson 30,697
Popcorn time for movies and shows using VPN 1 hr clayvligon 2
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 hr guest 687,171
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 4 hr LAWEST100 184,840
Anthony Bragg 6 hr Oic yes 28
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 7 hr Anonymous 286,539
Clinton Foundation Scandals 9 hr Hiddn Numbrz 2
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 21 hr Here For Now 619,788
More from around the web