Prove there's a god.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

Since: Apr 12

Orlando but NYC born & raised

#567579 Nov 30, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Wait a tic. A few hours ago you said it "CONDONED" slavery, now you say it "condones" it?
The bible does not condone slavery. It's a historical account of how slaves were treated (when they were legal & accepted as a normal part of a civilization) and how God wanted them to be treated better.
That doesn't mean in any way that the bible is somehow teaching us that slavery is ok even if it's immoral & against the law.
I've noticed a lot of people misintepret the bible in so many ways. No wonder why there's so many atheists & deists.....
OMG- what is WRONG with you??? You're now caught up in the TENSES I use?

Yes- the bible does/did condone slavery- so much so, that HOW to treat one's slaves is clearly commanded.

Your god is a piece of work- wanted them treated "better"??? Why would your god want there to even BE any slaves to begin with? Your bible talks about how to purchase slaves, etc.

Sorry bub- at no time in history was it really EVER okay to have slaves- the authors of the bible thought otherwise and so they decided it would be okay with the god they were fabricating.

Yeah- I've noticed that too- with YOU being one of the biggest offenders regarding your whacked out interpretation of the bible for no other purpose than for you to feel justified saying the bible is your god's word.

Your god is a jealous, manipulative, wrathful, vengeful, angry and spoiled god- hardly the embodiment of that which most SANE people would consider to be perfect.

Gotta go- my man has a really bad cold and I'm off for fixins' to make some YUMMY home made chicken soup with matzoh balls- gotta LOVE that Jewish penicillin!

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#567580 Nov 30, 2012
United in faith wrote:
<quoted text>
ya see, thats what i don't understand. How it is you can be so 'fixed' in your belief a world flood would be impossible.
thats silly.
there was a ice age.......that froze the planet, where did all that water go?
it killed everything on it.......great big old dinosours!
towns and cities are flooded all the time.
Tsunami's take out entire towns and cities sometimes.
why do you find it impossible to think it could happen?
If you have read what has been posted to Yellodog, likely several hundred times, on that subject, UIC, I think you would know the answer. My saying that the Flood didn't happen is not a belief of mine, but rather a fact that has been determined by several different unrelated disciplines.. That has been explained, and it would bore me and everyone else, for me to keep repeating, what I have said, not including what others here have also said.

Location hidden

#567581 Nov 30, 2012
United in faith wrote:
<quoted text>
actually thats not how i see it.
a Christian will 'state' they oppose something based on their biblical teaching.
for example: i might say i think abortion is murder
i believe same sex is immoral BECAUSE the bible teaches such, and since i love God and wish to live my life in HIS word, then of course i am going to agree with what the bible teaches.
Then an UNbeliever who engages in such things and sees nothing wrong with it, will take what i said as a personal attack on them.
which is it not.
they will receive my opinion in a threatening way.
thats not my fault.
I should not have to sugar coat truth, or be silent, or pretend to agree with things i know in my heart are wrong.
So, what is needed here is common sense.
the ability to reason in a civil manner and NOT take what is said as a personal attack.
thats the ONLY way people can have healthy and mature conversations here, by not taking what is said as a personal attack
and if someone means to make personal attacks they don't belong here.
they belong back in pre-school where they can be taught how to get along with others when they don't see eye to eye on things.
Or better still to stick to the topics and not personally attack others at all.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#567582 Nov 30, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, I wrote "other Christians on here have denounced your personal version of Christianity as hateful and divisive, so I respect their belief systems."
The "other Christians" part is pretty important here.
I'm not insinuating anything. I am proclaiming that you are hateful and divisive for claiming that homosexuality is immoral - these are your exact words "homosexuality IS morally corrupt..."
You are hateful and divisive when you tell us we all have to be like you. When you tell us that believers of other religions worship demons. When you tell Happy Lesbo that she is merely confused - again, your words. To an adult no less, a person who has struggled her entire life just to be her - you are shameful and evil to write such a thing to her and you are repulsive for those words. You owe Happy Lesbo an apology.
You have no empathy. No ability to understand other's points of view - and whenever you are confronted on this you fail to respond but instead play the martyr.
Well little man, I don't hate Christianity, I'm not anti-Christ. I just hate your corrupt version of the religion and thank God we have better Christians than you on this thread to demonstrate what their religion is truly about.
is frig'n homosexual activity (or any sexual activity) really this important to you that you'll sell your soul to stand against God for it???

ya know, some people go their whole lives and either can't or choose not to have sex; we're all made of the same materials and emotions as them so you won't have any excuse for being a rebel for this immoral cause.....

Location hidden

#567583 Nov 30, 2012
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
What is moral? Isn't morality simply dictated by the people within a society and within that time and place? Just my 1/2 cent.
Actually that is exactly what it is, IMO, but I suspect after man having dealt with that for so long, that we could get most people to agree on a few very basic moral laws, though they would break those themselves at times.

I think morals came about due to trial and error, when people learned that certain behaviors caused certain results which they found pleasant or unpleasant, and from that they deduced that the behaviors that caused unpleasantness for a lot of people were not moral.

Man did create the moral laws though.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#567584 Nov 30, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't justify that slavery is legal. Some people & cultures do, though. At the time the bible was written, slavery was accepted as the norm.
I want you on my dodge ball team.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#567585 Nov 30, 2012
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>OMG- what is WRONG with you??? You're now caught up in the TENSES I use?
Yes- the bible does/did condone slavery- so much so, that HOW to treat one's slaves is clearly commanded.
Your god is a piece of work- wanted them treated "better"??? Why would your god want there to even BE any slaves to begin with? Your bible talks about how to purchase slaves, etc.
Sorry bub- at no time in history was it really EVER okay to have slaves- the authors of the bible thought otherwise and so they decided it would be okay with the god they were fabricating.
Yeah- I've noticed that too- with YOU being one of the biggest offenders regarding your whacked out interpretation of the bible for no other purpose than for you to feel justified saying the bible is your god's word.
Your god is a jealous, manipulative, wrathful, vengeful, angry and spoiled god- hardly the embodiment of that which most SANE people would consider to be perfect.
Gotta go- my man has a really bad cold and I'm off for fixins' to make some YUMMY home made chicken soup with matzoh balls- gotta LOVE that Jewish penicillin!
You mean...?

NO!

You're not taking him t a hospital? You'll rely on his self healing ability?

WOWZERS!

Holy shitballs, Batman!

Oh, and you're wrong about the bible. Obviously.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#567586 Nov 30, 2012
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>Very interesting and very informative, IANS......
No doubt it is frustrating for many doctors to have to deal with patients who make it clear that they are their own worst enemy.
And no doubt it is those patients who are the first to cry "foul" and blame the doctor when they develop medical problems that could have been avoided had they listened to their doctors to begin with.
I am not at all the type of person who thinks all illnesses should be treated by simply popping a pill and I know what the breakdown is for what ails us, which is this:
50% of what ails us is due to our own lifestyles- our diets, drinking habits, exercise or lack thereof, etc.
20% of what ails us is genetic.
20% of what ails us is environmental- water, air and land pollution.
And only 10% of what ails us is simply the luck of the draw with it not being attributed to any of the above.
But for that 50%, a responsible doctor will tell a patient what they can personally do themselves to cure what ails them and of course, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
But even if a patient diligently does change their lifestyle habits, there are many instances in which it either isn't enough or is too late and at that point, medication is often the only way to treat symptoms and to prevent the problem from becoming more serious or even life threatening.
I can certainly see why you would "fire" patients- not only do you not need to risk the liability, patients who refuse to cooperate with their doctors are wasting not only their own time, but their doctor's time as well.
Of course, it's easy for RR to say now that he will never take medication for any health issues.......not at all sure that would be the case if it was a question of him living or dying without taking what would be life-saving medication.
Your post edited for space.
Thanks for the feedback. I thought that those opinions might be useful. The patient has the right to do whatever he or she likes, but not with me assuming the liability.

Incidentally, sharing control of a patient - but not the liability - is also a major issue with HMO's. A physician learns early how to shunt the liability back to the patient. If the HMO refuses to authorize the MRI of the brain for a patient with atypical headaches, unwary docs said, "It looks like we can't get the MRI." Wrong. Even though it may not seem like it, you are now advocating for the HMO against the patient, and will eventually pay for that. Every fiftieth or hundredth such patient will turn out to be very sick, and you will be sued and lose if you have sided with the HMO.

And if it gets to court, the HMO says that it wasn't practicing medicine, just judging whether they thought the test was necessary. Seriously. And the courts agree. Do not mention money in court or you just lost the case. Doctors are expected to be unconcerned about expense, but only in court. Everywhere else, you can't even turn in place if your choice of aspirin is three cents a pill instead of two for a nickel, and Kylie or Heather or Megan or whatever other fetus you're working with over the telephone doesn't agree. But in court, the doctor is still officially the only one with power, and the only one with liability, which was the case once.

The correct answer is "I recommend that you pay for the MRI out of pocket" and chart that. Let the patient refuse, and chart that, too. Sure, for most patients in rural Missouri where I last practiced, that wasn't even an option unless they were willing to sell the combine or rob the local 7-Eleven.

But it put the liability back on the patient, which is how it has to be. It was a sickening arrangement.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#567587 Nov 30, 2012
boooots wrote:
My saying that the Flood didn't happen is not a belief of mine, but rather a fact that has been determined by several different unrelated disciplines.. That has been explained, and it would bore me and everyone else, for me to keep repeating, what I have said, not including what others here have also said.
There's just as much "evidence" out there that the flood happened as there is that it didn't.

It's an unproven, untestable theory.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#567588 Nov 30, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I want you on my dodge ball team.
Wait.... Did I just....

beat you?

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#567589 Nov 30, 2012
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
What is moral? Isn't morality simply dictated by the people within a society and within that time and place? Just my 1/2 cent.
i thought you were a believer, Al, is in God, Bible and all that?
or, are you one of those handwringing lutheran-types like in germany circa 1930's that say (in an emasculated nasal tone) "well, we can't really know what the bible means when it says "sexual immorality" and after all it's really only alagorical"?

if so, i'm gonna consider you officially in the oprah/obama 'christian' camp:)

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#567590 Nov 30, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Very good. And the "laws" it has written in it about slaves were "laws" for the Hebrews & Levites, NOT everyone.
If you read a US history book, it talks about Americans owning slaves. Does that mean you as an American can own a slave? Nope. It's a historical record.
<quoted text>
Really? Me? Show me that scripture please.
<quoted text>
But that would be false. What would be better is "the Bible texts regarding slavery were applicable during those times'.
Ever read some of the crazy "laws" in Leviticus? Do you think any of those are at all a "law" for any Christian today?
<quoted text>
It's really simple. Watch.
I don't condone slavery.
Thanks for responding and being honest that those "laws" don't apply anymore, thus, those books that contain those "laws" are no longer valid in today's society.

But you can't separate them from the book you think is "true for all mankind", huh? Which places you into a conundrum.

Do you believe in parts of the Bible to be "true for all of mankind" or just parts of it?

Which applies to you?

Please be honest.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#567591 Nov 30, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Very good. And the "laws" it has written in it about slaves were "laws" for the Hebrews & Levites, NOT everyone.
If you read a US history book, it talks about Americans owning slaves. Does that mean you as an American can own a slave? Nope. It's a historical record.
<quoted text>
Really? Me? Show me that scripture please.
<quoted text>
But that would be false. What would be better is "the Bible texts regarding slavery were applicable during those times'.
Ever read some of the crazy "laws" in Leviticus? Do you think any of those are at all a "law" for any Christian today?
<quoted text>
It's really simple. Watch.
I don't condone slavery.
BTW - you missed the point when you responded with this:
"If you read a US history book, it talks about Americans owning slaves. Does that mean you as an American can own a slave? Nope. It's a historical record."
- slavery was outlawed and considered a crime, thus it is no more a "law" for Americans. Maybe you didn't read the same history books I had, if you have to pose a scenario in the manner you did. In actuality, it sounds like you are trying to defend the Bible and what it says.
- Face the fact - slavery is wrong, anything to do with slavery is wrong - in which, the Bible is wrong as related to the issue. Thus, the Bible should no longer be considered a source of "Truth" from "God". But you don't see it this way, huh?
- Do you disregard that portion of the Bible, and just skip over it, and then make the claim the other parts are still valid?

What say you?

Fennario

#567592 Nov 30, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I hope that doctors get their financial butts beat when they screw up.
Me, too. But that's not what we were talking about. We were talking about patients screwing up and taking their doctors down with them.

I hope that you don't get your neurological, cardiac or renal butt beat up for your decisions. Dialysis is a bitch, and so is hemiparesis.

Do you know what your blood pressure is? Do you know the size of your heart or the condition of your coronary arteries? Do you have a third or fourth heart sound (look up S3 gallop). What do you hear when you listen?

Do you know your renal function? Give me your BUN, your serum creatinine, and your body mass, and I'll tell you. We can estimate your GFR, or you can do it yourself at http://www.medcalc.com/gfr.html . You don't happen to know if you have albuminuria, do you? That would be a red flag if it exceeds 1-2+ on a dipstick. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albuminuria

You don't have any other risk factors for cerebrovascular, cardiovascular, peripheral vascular (legs/femoral arteries, aorta) or renovascular disease, do you, such as hyperlipidemia, glucose intolerance or metabolic syndrome? Because the goals of therapy are stricter there.

We've learned a lot in the last few decades. When I began in 1984, systolic pressures of 135/90 and total cholesterols of 300 were considered normal. Not any more! Not even close. Why? Because people with systolics of 110 do better than those with systolics of 120. And those with LDL cholesterols under 100 do better than those with an LDL of 130.

What are your numbers?

Just kidding, I realize that you have no idea.

If anybody is interested in any of these issues, don't hesitate to inquire, whether privately or on the thread. I give it away now. I advised two friends recently, both fellow bridge players. Brad was depressed, and Charles has gout. Brad is almost seventy, and has been treating his depression with pot, which works until it wears off. Fluoxetine 20mg daily for the first, because it's safe, inexpensive, and usually at least partially efficacious, and allopurinol 300 mg daily for the other.

Yep, pills. Because they work.

“I never claimed to be Perfect”

Since: Nov 10

just better than yesterday

#567594 Nov 30, 2012
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
i thought you were a believer, Al, is in God, Bible and all that?
or, are you one of those handwrkinging lutheran-types like in germany circa 1930's that say (in an emasculated nasal tone) "well, we can't really know what the bible means when it says "sexual immorality" and after all it's really only alagorical"?
if so, i'm gonna consider you officially in the oprah/obama 'christian' camp:)
lol! I'm not sure what an "Oprah/Obama Christian" is. But my brain is mush today so I don't know what the hell I'm posting today.
I messed up my back a few days ago and the muscle relaxers are messing with my thought processes. Feel free to consider me whatever you'd like. That's your right.
I'll probably look back on my posts tomorrow and say "Did I say that!" Lol!
Peace Waaaasssup!

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

Since: Apr 12

Orlando but NYC born & raised

#567595 Nov 30, 2012
Sorry- *weak*

Fennario

#567596 Nov 30, 2012
United in faith wrote:
Our founding fathers fled religious persecution and created a new world (America) where people are free to EXERCISE their faith without government meddling.
You're confused. The Pilgrims, who fled England to escape religious persecution in the early seventeenth century, were not the Founders, who lived in the late eighteenth.
United in faith wrote:
Anyone who would want to take that away, is not an American
Sarah Palin was also into identifying True Americans™. I sure miss her.
United in faith wrote:
Religion in America has NEVER EVER harmed anyone.
It's harmed you more than me, but it has harmed us both.
United in faith wrote:
If you think restrictions should be placed on the freedoms of people to 'live' their faith openly, then the same restrictions should be put on ANTI-religious folks that harm others with their ungodly philosophies and behavior.
I don't think that you should be free to do whatever you like religiously. Me, neither.

Fennario

#567597 Nov 30, 2012
United in faith wrote:
then i will provide you with a history link telling you that the bible WAS used as a teaching tool in schools up until the 60s.
The public schools don't exist to assist your churches.

Fennario

#567598 Nov 30, 2012
United in faith wrote:
why are you so hostile toward Christians?
Christianity, not Christians. And here's part of the reason why:

"The fool says in his heart,'There is no God.' They are corrupt, their deeds are vile; there is no one who does good" - Psalm 14:1

"But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone." - Revelation 21:8

Didn't the authors of those words just call me corrupt, vile, abominable, no good, the moral equivalent of liars, murderers and whoremongers, and fit for eternal torture? Why wouldn't I hate the religion that teaches people to think that way about me?

Can you answer that? Why wouldn't I hate that?
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#567599 Nov 30, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't see confirmation of metaphor in the genealogy of Adam, unless you are simply declaring mythology and error metaphor. What is Adam a metaphor for, and how do you know?
HughBe --my guess is that the genealogy of Adam confirms that the account is a metaphor. So this metaphorical Adam lived x years and had a son, and then his son lived y years and had a son and so on for hundreds of years and in fact thousands of years.

So---I don't see confirmation of metaphor in the genealogy of Adam, unless you are simply declaring mythology and error metaphor. What is Adam a metaphor for, and how do you know?

HughBe--- My words were sarcastic. The existence of a lineage from Adam shows that it is NOT a metaphor. One does not trace one's lineage to an imaginary person.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Black/White mindsets, relations, and fears in A... 3 min Doctor REALITY 1
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 min Rosesz 699,379
James Comey's conflicted TWO FACES 4 min Johnny 90
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 34 min Lliar 71,504
After 2 years of being together, we broke up. 48 min Dang Jersey Piney 6
"O.J. hit me while he (BLEEPED!) me! 1 hr Doctor REALITY 1
How to help others save MONEY 1 hr Doctor REALITY 2
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 1 hr Dang Jersey Piney 447,390
Are black people descendents of Cain from the l... (Feb '11) 3 hr Johnny 100