Comments
538,161 - 538,180 of 733,764 Comments Last updated 5 min ago

“I never claimed to be Perfect”

Since: Nov 10

Boss of the Inland Empire

#566837 Nov 28, 2012
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>Why do we destroy so much beauty, Al? Why do we drive animals to extinction as well as plant life? Why do we pollute the water, land and air to the point of much of it being uninhabitable for many forms of life?
Why do we abuse the planet's natural resources? Why do we deplete them?
Why do we create so much that is created for the sole purpose of destruction and killing?
Why should we want to change the world around us? Exactly what do you mean by changing the world around us? In what ways?
You forgot to mention another trait that humans possess which animals do not- greed.
you are correct OCB. We do damage where we go. It is because of our creative spirit, our ability to change the environment. Saying no to some things makes it possible saying yes to other things. We are still in our learning curve of using our power for our benefit and lessen the impact on the world around us.
I use the following analogy quite a bit when I talk to people:

"Back in the late 60,s I remember that in Southern California during the Summer we used to have smog alerts practically every day from vehicle pollution. The sky would be brown and schools would prohibit recess. Chemicals dumped directly into the drains from the factories behind my home.
A commercial with a tearful Indian on horseback as he saw the landscape littered.

Now a days we have 25 times the vehicles on the road as we did back in the "stone age" Factories have for the most part cleaned up their acts. We are still far from a perfect society but because of our intelligence, our creativity our ability to learn we are on the right path to doing the right thing. On the right path to healing the earth from our "greed" as you well put it. Overall humanity has never had it so good as we do now. But we still have a ways to go.

Say what you want about human greed, but you and I and your children, and our families have all benefited from it and are much better off because of it.

#566838 Nov 28, 2012
Doh! I meant to say "25 times more vehicles on the road today (WITH LESS SMOG)

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#566839 Nov 28, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I am younger than you, yes. But that doesn't mean I'll start taking all kinds of meds when I'm your age. I'm against most prescription meds.

My brother, age 60, went in for heart stress test about one or two months ago. After testing 5 minutes he was under severe stress, and a doctor ordered an operation for the next day. He had 90% blockage of one heart artery and serious blockage of others. They inserted 4 stents. He likely would have been dead from a heart attack at any time, and as he has an active job, with that much blockage it was inevitable.

My father who had been a very thin man most of his life, and a farmer for much of it (very active), saw a doctor at 74 yrs of age, and had serious artery blockage in heart and also legs. They did quad bypass of heart, but he didn't have enough good veins left to replace his leg blocked veins/arteries. He did live until 3 weeks short of 82 and died of brain cancer. They figured he would have had a heart attack and died within a short period when he was 74 had he not had the bypass. Both his father and my mother's father who were of the same family name, 1st cousins once removed (my one grandfather was 1st cousin of other great-grandfather), and both had heart conditions for several years prior to both dying at 79, one from heart condition, and other from pneumonia after bowel obstruction and surgery for that.

Both my brother and I have been on cholesterol meds for several years, and possibly some of my 5 sisters are too, but I am not familiar with their health records. My brother is overweight, since quitting farming, while I was a bit over for a few years, but am now quite thin, and most of my life have been thin.

I know that doctors push drugs, and my son is a doctor and he doesn't like taking drugs either, though he is an anesthesiologist so he only gives anesthetics. I am conscious of the fact they are highly promoted and bribed by the pharmaceutical companies, as a neighbor of mine for a few years was a pharma salesman to doctors, and he told me of the perks they gave doctors. He had started taking them on vacations, but previously had been giving them gifts.

One has to be intelligent about them, but in some cases, as your wife, life would not continue without them. I tried for several months in 1997 going off all of my mental illness meds, supervised by my doctor, and that worked not so bad, until a major stress situation arose, and then I totally collapsed, and lost a whole (1998) year out of my life, in that not one day went past for a whole year that I was not totally or somewhat incapacitated by anxiety and depression. It took a year of meds and some rehab to get me back to stable, and I have survived several extremely stressing situations since then, without a recurring breakdown.

Fortunately, I only considered suicide one time on one day, and I actually had convinced myself to do it, but hadn't come up with a plan as to how to without creating more problems for my family than necessary, but my wife returned from work before I had figured out how to proceed, and I chose to tell her, and she took some action, which got me out of the suicide mode. I am no longer with her for other reasons, but I am glad that I did not proceed.

My advice if you don't want to take drugs, and they are prescribed is to get a second opinion, but if more than one doctor considers them necessary to stay alive, then go for it. When you get to my age, or well before it, a year seems like a few weeks, compared to what it seems like when young, and prolonging your life as long as possible, if you have a life worth prolonging, seems to me to be a good thing.

Frankly watching USA commercials for meds, it is a wonder that anyone takes drugs there, because the commercials scare you with the long list of reasons you shouldn't take them. I don't think our commercials here do that yet.

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#566840 Nov 28, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Karen is about the closest I can think of besides one on an American crime show.
http://m.holymoly.com/sites/default/files/ima...
sigh

Location hidden

#566841 Nov 28, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>7 paragraphs? Really? You should ask yourself why is it so hard for you to not just type, "Well, pardon the hell out of me!", and move along.
Of course, I could, and you could also accept my apology and offer to be nice too. You might note that I have been nasty only to those who first get nasty with me, with exception of those who come on here with some completely unrelated or dumb posts, which shows they are not interested in discussion.

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#566842 Nov 28, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>
You are very naive if you think "bully law" will protect a kid from harm.
Very true

Location hidden

#566843 Nov 28, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>I was civil on Topix for a long time and then it finally hit me that there's no point in being polite to people who have always been rude to me, ergo, the taunts.
OCB is a very unhappy person and only posts to vent his/her hatred.
Would you agree that is the same for those believers who do the same thing, that they are very unhappy people? Actually I haven't seen OCB that way, but have not read as many of her posts.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#566844 Nov 28, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm intending to cure myself of topixoholic and leave you alone, forever, with Wasssuuuppp.
It's cruel, I know.
Uhm...ice cream! Look!
I am reminded of the inspirational story of the youngster who was too uncoordinated to clap. It's a real tear jerker. The boy’s mother worked tirelessly with him month in and month out year after year, helping him practice clapping, but always in vain. She watched the boy frustratedly trying to make his hands meet in the air, but always flying past one another instead – whoosh!

The reward for success would be a butterscotch ice cream cone some day – the boy’s favorite. He wanted dearly to be normal, and to please his mother. But mostly, he wanted that ice cream cone.

So he practiced diligently, month after month, year after year, often for hours at a time, with the little tykes buck teeth bobbing as he stared at his hands determinedly, grinning and slobbering with unquenchable optimism despite years of failure.

Nevertheless, his hands just kept passing like star crossed lovers, like ships passing in the night. Whoosh! Whoosh! It broke his dear mother's heart.

Finally, one day, after years of failure, success! His hands met and made a clapping noise! The clap was faint, and he hurt both wrists doing it, but it was a success nevertheless. The birds in the trees began singing. The animals in the forest rejoiced. And the boy’s level of excitement welled up in anticipation of his impending reward - the mough sought after butterscotch ice cream cone.

The flow of his drooling increased even as he wedged the fleshy butt of his upturned palm into his enormous upper buck teeth. His grunting grew feverish.

And at long last, she returned with his hard won reward - the butterscotch ice cream cone! You've never seen a boy so proud, nor so excited, as he celebrated his victory - a triumph of the human spirit. Here is is : http://www.teesforall.com/images/Grateful_Dea...

#566845 Nov 28, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I am reminded of the inspirational story of the youngster who was too uncoordinated to clap. It's a real tear jerker. The boy’s mother worked tirelessly with him month in and month out year after year, helping him practice clapping, but always in vain. She watched the boy frustratedly trying to make his hands meet in the air, but always flying past one another instead – whoosh!
The reward for success would be a butterscotch ice cream cone some day – the boy’s favorite. He wanted dearly to be normal, and to please his mother. But mostly, he wanted that ice cream cone.
So he practiced diligently, month after month, year after year, often for hours at a time, with the little tykes buck teeth bobbing as he stared at his hands determinedly, grinning and slobbering with unquenchable optimism despite years of failure.
Nevertheless, his hands just kept passing like star crossed lovers, like ships passing in the night. Whoosh! Whoosh! It broke his dear mother's heart.
Finally, one day, after years of failure, success! His hands met and made a clapping noise! The clap was faint, and he hurt both wrists doing it, but it was a success nevertheless. The birds in the trees began singing. The animals in the forest rejoiced. And the boy’s level of excitement welled up in anticipation of his impending reward - the mough sought after butterscotch ice cream cone.
The flow of his drooling increased even as he wedged the fleshy butt of his upturned palm into his enormous upper buck teeth. His grunting grew feverish.
And at long last, she returned with his hard won reward - the butterscotch ice cream cone! You've never seen a boy so proud, nor so excited, as he celebrated his victory - a triumph of the human spirit. Here is is : http://www.teesforall.com/images/Grateful_Dea...
Ahahahahaha !!!

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#566846 Nov 28, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>It's hard to love an enemy, but I pity some of them.
it isn't only "hard", friend, it's impossible; BUT with GOD, all things are possible!:)

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#566847 Nov 28, 2012
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. do you have compassion for the numerous Christians she has called demonic, immoral and hell-bound because they do not agree with her ??..
.. do you have compassion for Booots when she begins each of her posts to him with, "Liar or stupid?" ..
.. do you have compassion for the Christian poster she calls dumb with a 'rotted mind' here:
http://www.topix.com/forum/news/gay/T85ELBGC7...
.. how about her hearty jokes about sending American gays to Uganda? The woman is evil ..
.. again, she revealed all personal information. It came back to haunt her ..
her "evil" is a different flavor than other evils and not for everyone's taste, but no more evil than other evils.

Fennario

#566848 Nov 28, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
What "cruel and absurd" & "kind and thoughtful" are you talking about?
Not again. It's been answered for you repeatedly. The last time, you proudly announced that you didn't even read it.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Oh ya, you think that Christians are stupid followers and atheists are genius thinkers... nevermind.
It's not because I think you're stupid or a follower. It's because I think that your church's metaphysics are absurd, and its ethics barbaric. Any genius of atheists notwithstanding, I find humanist ethics to be more rational and more compassionate.

What do you think a more fair assessment would be, and why? Which ethical principles that are original to your god are worth preserving?

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#566849 Nov 28, 2012
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
My brother, age 60, went in for heart stress test about one or two months ago. After testing 5 minutes he was under severe stress, and a doctor ordered an operation for the next day. He had 90% blockage of one heart artery and serious blockage of others. They inserted 4 stents. He likely would have been dead from a heart attack at any time, and as he has an active job, with that much blockage it was inevitable.
My father who had been a very thin man most of his life, and a farmer for much of it (very active), saw a doctor at 74 yrs of age, and had serious artery blockage in heart and also legs. They did quad bypass of heart, but he didn't have enough good veins left to replace his leg blocked veins/arteries. He did live until 3 weeks short of 82 and died of brain cancer. They figured he would have had a heart attack and died within a short period when he was 74 had he not had the bypass. Both his father and my mother's father who were of the same family name, 1st cousins once removed (my one grandfather was 1st cousin of other great-grandfather), and both had heart conditions for several years prior to both dying at 79, one from heart condition, and other from pneumonia after bowel obstruction and surgery for that.
Both my brother and I have been on cholesterol meds for several years, and possibly some of my 5 sisters are too, but I am not familiar with their health records. My brother is overweight, since quitting farming, while I was a bit over for a few years, but am now quite thin, and most of my life have been thin.

My advice if you don't want to take drugs, and they are prescribed is to get a second opinion, but if more than one doctor considers them necessary to stay alive, then go for it. When you get to my age, or well before it, a year seems like a few weeks, compared to what it seems like when young, and prolonging your life as long as possible, if you have a life worth prolonging, seems to me to be a good thing.
Frankly watching USA commercials for meds, it is a wonder that anyone takes drugs there, because the commercials scare you with the long list of reasons you shouldn't take them. I don't think our commercials here do that yet.
What do you think caused the arterial blockage?

It was their diets.

We're killing ourselves & promoting unneeded medicinal practices just by what we eat.

My grandpa died from a heart attack caused by arterial blockage.

Learn from their mistakes, boooots. Don't repeat them.
Eternal Bliss

Salford, UK

#566850 Nov 28, 2012
<quoted text>
Not again. It's been answered for you repeatedly. The last time, you proudly announced that you didn't even read it.
<quoted text>
It's not because I think you're stupid or a follower. It's because I think that your church's metaphysics are absurd, and its ethics barbaric. Any genius of atheists notwithstanding, I find humanist ethics to be more rational and more compassionate.
What do you think a more fair assessment would be, and why? Which ethical principles that are original to your god are worth preserving?
How do you know that you're not a stupid follower?

Fennario

#566851 Nov 28, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
The account in Genesis is a metaphorical story, not a direct account for what God did.
As far as the bible not being an account of what happened, yes, we know. That's what science says.

Where does your bible say that the story is metaphorical? What's it a metaphor for? The truth? If it's not correct, it's wrong, not a metaphor.

Besides, your bible claims that, "Every word of God is flawless" - Proverbs 30:5. Genesis is horribly flawed. So are Exodus, Leviticus and Deuteronomy.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Genesis says "dirt", but we all should know that isn't literal.
Is that a metaphor for wrong?

Fennario

#566852 Nov 28, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I believe that God used evolution to create everything.
The evolution part is right. Unfortunately, your god didn't use it, so if a god was involved,it wasn't Jehovah-Jesus.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I think God put something special in humans, something that no other animal on earth has, a consciousness.
I'm guessing that you meant conscience. Many animals are conscious.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#566853 Nov 28, 2012
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
You never really answered, you posted a dozen links so I'd "go find" what you wanted me to see.

I'm a simple person asking you a simple question. You don't have to add explanations, just a basic answer wil suffice.

What is so cruel about Christianity? To you?

"Church's metaphysics"?? You only say that because you don't believe.

As I'd agree that humanist ethics are nice and all, they're very, very conceited. I can't get into it.

The basic rule of God is freedom with some exceptions. We are to live in freedom with one another.

The basic rule of freedom is this:
Every sentient adult is free to make their own choices, as long as they do not harm others.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#566854 Nov 28, 2012
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Don't listen to Eternal bliss, she's my dumber twin!! She's not right in the head, please excuse her!:-)

“It's all about the struggle”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#566855 Nov 28, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
If you make an excuse for one, you cannot avoid the excuse for the others.
Every situation is slightly different than every other. It's a matter of how well you read your attacker and a little luck, sometimes. I have been in situations where submission was probably the only thing that kept me alive, if not completely intact.

“It's all about the struggle”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#566856 Nov 28, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Does a person really need an excuse to beat the shit out of an attacker?!?!
Um, yer talkin' to a faux kitteh, nuff said if you know what I mean. ;)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 3 min Neelakaran 5,363
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 4 min lil whispers 600,152
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 6 min June VanDerMark 539,420
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 7 min Eagle 12 226,516
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 8 min Dr_Zorderz 258,147
Do Albanian men like hispanic/latina women? (Aug '11) 15 min Pipebomb 68
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 19 min Senecus 2,516
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 1 hr Jim Justice 118,092
Sims 4 Key Generator (Oct '13) 22 hr Tiffany 107
•••
Enter and win $5000

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••