Prove there's a god.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#567199 Nov 29, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No, the word "day" is translated wrong. It is NOT a 24 hour period.

That word, "yom", has many meanings. It's basically a wrod for "time" or a "timeframe" but it doesn't translate into a 24-hour day.
If yom has many potential meanings, then why write Genesis is such a way that it can be easily misinterpreted to mean very different things, contradictory? And what is the purpose then of saying that God took 6 phases of an indeterminant time to create the Earth? This must be a very important point to make, given that this is the opening paragraph of the entire book, right?
Instead of me copy/pasting everything, if you're really interested in understanding the truth, you can read it here:
www.accuracyingenesis.com/day.html
Truth? Truth would not begin with an a priori assumption about a deity dictating the Bible. Truth would provide objective evidence for the deity, then objective evidence that this deity is the author for the text examined. What the website does provide is an interesting dissertation on Hebrew to English translation, and even that isn't terribly objective, but rather an apologia.
blundunt

Midlothian, IL

#567200 Nov 29, 2012
How do we get such crap from a forum entitled-"prove there is a god"? Any "proof" of anything is bound to be repudiated one way or the other so it is pointless and fruitless to try or try not to "prove there is a god"!

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#567201 Nov 29, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't believe science is objective and I kind of think he's taking a philosophical stance with regards to morality and working science into it. I think that's ok, though. The discipline has to start somewhere - all I hope is that he takes a cross cultural point of view.
For example, it probably matters to morality if you're from an individual based culture or a group based culture, but I'm not sure his position would grasp that.
Well, he is beginning his book by taking issue with moral relativism, for which I certainly applaud him. Just because another culture values something doesn't mean those values are sacrosanct nor should be respected per se. Some values clearly cause harm; sexism is the Middle East comes immediately to mind.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#567202 Nov 29, 2012
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>Not sure what you mean, boooots.....I maintain that one doesn't "learn" culture- they attain it or acquire it- perhaps that is nitpicky of me, but so be it.
And of course, you don't "have" to go back to see who started it- only if you care and only if it's of interest to you.
Just sayin'.....
:-)
What I was referring to was the name calling.:) We have your back. You are not without friends here, and when you are attacked we know the other is in the wrong. That is my opinion.

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#567203 Nov 29, 2012
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
Bottom line is apparently you are some weirdo that thinks what is the big deal if children see the genitals of strangers because they have their own genitals and doesn't grasp not only the inappropriateness of that but the inherent danger. I can't help you. I tried. I just hope you don't have kids.
.. your argument with HFY is based on religion -vs- evidence ..

.. religion teaches sexual anatomy is shameful <think Adam & Eve>. Your mindset is a product of your religious beliefs. HFY's position is based on evidence from cultures that have proven nudity does not promote pedophilia, in fact, the exact opposite occurs ..

.. the human body is a thing of beauty, for you, one of God's beautiful creations. Why make it a thing of shame that children shouldn't see ??..
blundunt

Midlothian, IL

#567204 Nov 29, 2012
And by the way-as usual I don't want (now) or need any rebuttles or even an acknowledgement of my efforts-just keep bickering and squabbling until the ARK starts to float!

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#567205 Nov 29, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No, the word "day" is translated wrong. It is NOT a 24 hour period.
<quoted text>
Very true.
<quoted text>
That word, "yom", has many meanings. It's basically a wrod for "time" or a "timeframe" but it doesn't translate into a 24-hour day.
Instead of me copy/pasting everything, if you're really interested in understanding the truth, you can read it here:
www.accuracyingenesis.com/day.html
*hands you a dollar bill*

That was a good spin. If you do more I have more....

*waves a five dollar bill*

Twirl for me more!!

;o)

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#567206 Nov 29, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it doesn't. The only thing that creates an atmosphere of abuse that is easier for pedophiles is divine justification - i.e., organized religion.
<quoted text>
See? You've been encultured to see nudity as shameful. You have no argument, you just "think it is one of the most irresponsible things."
You're incapable of justifying your position here. You've failed to answer my question about the harm nudity would cause children.
That's fine, but you should be honest to yourself. Nudity bothers you and you want to pass that discomfort onto children because you feel that people should be bothered by nudity.
*whispers*

I like being nekkid!

:o)

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#567207 Nov 29, 2012
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
If yom has many potential meanings, then why write Genesis is such a way that it can be easily misinterpreted to mean very different things, contradictory? And what is the purpose then of saying that God took 6 phases of an indeterminant time to create the Earth? This must be a very important point to make, given that this is the opening paragraph of the entire book, right?

Truth? Truth would not begin with an a priori assumption about a deity dictating the Bible. Truth would provide objective evidence for the deity, then objective evidence that this deity is the author for the text examined. What the website does provide is an interesting dissertation on Hebrew to English translation, and even that isn't terribly objective, but rather an apologia.
I believe the Bible is 100% true and cannot be interpreted any which way. I simply believe that the way creationists interpret Genesis is absolutely wrong, and misses a lot of the important points the author is trying to make.

Do you Oh, you think the Bible should be taken at its word? Well, how about Psalm 93, which states that the "world is established, firm and secure" (proof we are the center of the universe) and "the seas have lifted up their voice" (proof the seas have souls!!). Oh, I see, you take exception because that's poetry and therefore is a metaphor. Then what about Matthew 5, in which Jesus says to gouge out your eye if it causes you to sin? Oh, you say Jesus was talking in hyperbole.

Riiiiiight.
ROCCO

Twentynine Palms, CA

#567208 Nov 29, 2012
United in faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I did not specify 'Christian' churches, i merely said billions of churches.
how many churches do you suppose is in your home town alone?
i can open the phone book in my SMALL town and count approx 70 churches.
thats in a SMALL country area.
this planet is covered with churches.
and my point to the OTHER poster was that if the holy bible were not trustworthy there should would not be so many churches thriving as they have and do.
But in your post #566665, you did specify Christian churches:

http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TOCO8TE...
prove it booty.

explain to me why if the Holy bible is a myth
it is not classified as such
it is not classified as a fiction
it is classifed as 'sacrad writings'

explain please
if the Holy bible is just a myth,
why billions of churches on the planet take it serious?
why would all those churches of people trust something that was proven as a myth? because it is NOT proven as myth.
you atheists crack me up. You strut around proclaiming the bible is a myth and have yet to prove it to the point anyone would take it serious enough to change it's classifcation or to remove it all together.

----------

So yes, Patty, you DID say "BILLIONS".

If you're talking about the holy bible, you're talking about Christian churches, whatever denomination.

Further, with a world population of +/- 7.055 billion, it isn't likely that there would be a church for every 3.33 people on the planet (assuming your use of "billions" would be a minimum of 2), would it - and especially since only about 2 billion or so of the world's population claim to be Christian, in which case there would be 1 church for every single Christian on the planet.

You continue to claim yet again much more of something that what is really fact.

And because you are such an insolent, stupid sow, neither myself nor anyone else expects you to do anything more than whine about my response to you. Facts are anathema to you, as is admittance of your errors and retraction of your lies.

There are many churches, synagogues, temples, mosques, etc., in the world, but even all combined they do not total in the billions.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#567209 Nov 29, 2012
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
*hands you a dollar bill*
That was a good spin. If you do more I have more....
*waves a five dollar bill*
Twirl for me more!!
;o)
A dollar?!?!?!

WHOO-HOO! You just doubled my savings!

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#567210 Nov 29, 2012
Happy Lesbo wrote:

.. the human body is a thing of beauty, for you, one of God's beautiful creations. Why make it a thing of shame that children shouldn't see ??..
For the same reason we hide a lot if things from kids, they're kids.... To protect them & let them enjoy a nice, safe, nurtured childhood.

Would you tell them that you weren't really listening when they rambled on for 20 minutes about some cartoon?

Would you tell them that you deliberately took out the batteries of that damned noisy play gun that grandpa got, just to have quiet?

Would you show them your adult toys or movies?

Would you show them your ass & explain how you like it fingered and why?

Would you shower with your kid?

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#567211 Nov 29, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Well the church never excommunicated Hitler for killing millions of people so I suppose you are safe
you should read about the development of the 3rd reich from a christian perspective some time, if you dare. a 'confessing church' emerged out from what became the liberal church-state and were very outspoken against the evils of hitler & the reich. lots of martyrdoms occured at that time and deitrich bonhoefer was at the forefront.

it's kinda akin to these handwringing so-called 'lutherans' in America who don't have enough spiritual fortitude to vote against homosexual clergy in their own congregations or againt the spirit of antichrist in government.

you can have the whole lot of them! they're always talking as if europe is the ultimate pattern anyways and they drive lil euro-like cars thinking that they're saving the planet for doing so.....

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

Since: Apr 12

Orlando but NYC born & raised

#567212 Nov 29, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
If you were struck with diabetes, you'd know. At least, you'd know something is wrong & you'd go and get yourself checked out.
Our bodies CAN take care of diabetes. I have a friend that is living proof if that. The docs wanted him on insulin (of course, the quick & easy "cure"). He refused. He drastically changed his diet & is now no longer a diabetic. With NO drugs!! It took him a few painful years, but he did it. He's a new man now. And about half the size he used to be.
Good for your friend. Focus on the exception rather than the rule. Focus on that exception rather than the fact that untreated diabetes can and often does result in blindness and loss of limbs and even death.

Whatever makes ya all warm and fuzzy inside, RR.

Now- tell me the "I have a friend" story about people with cancer, heart disease or who have suffered a stroke.

Tell me how their bodies "self-healed" without any form of treatment by a medical professional.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#567213 Nov 29, 2012
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
What I was referring to was the name calling.:) We have your back. You are not without friends here, and when you are attacked we know the other is in the wrong. That is my opinion.
Thanks much, boooots.......I do try to restrain from name-calling, but there is no way I will when I am called a name first.

Funny.....RR in a post to me yesterday said: You are so dumb.

In my response to him, I did return the favor of name-calling.

He then responded asking ME if I could post without name-calling, despite the fact that I was responding to a post of HIS in which he did just that- call me a name, or if saying "You are so dumb" is not actually "name-calling", he did attempt to insult me.

Thanks for your kind words and back at ya!

:-D

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#567214 Nov 29, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. She doesn't get regular exams. That has nothing to do with me. She never has.
And before you go off on a tangent, screaming about its my influence on her that keeps her from getting regular check ups, know that she lived for 37 years before she met me. It's HER body & HER choice.
Here's a free tip. If you want to ask a question, just ask it. Don't ramble on & on with crazy accusations after asking the question.....
No- I won't go off on a tangent- do you think it all surprises me that you are married to someone as clueless as you are?

It doesn't......

And save your tips for someone who cares- that would not be ME.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#567215 Nov 29, 2012
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
*whispers*
I like being nekkid!
:o)
I've heard that Benjamin Franklin used to take air baths.

He would strip down, get comfortable on a chair by an open window and just let the fresh air "bathe" him.

And nothing's much better than a skinny dip- preferably with a partner, but even solo it's delightful!

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#567216 Nov 29, 2012
V for Vendetta wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you need proof that there is a God? What's the point?
Because when we all come to the conclusion there isn't.. we can defrag our brains from junk science and make them run faster.

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#567217 Nov 29, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Would you shower with your kid?
.. oh, yes, I've showered with my daughter many times. She especially likes when we bathe together and when she was younger enjoyed playing "Spin The Duck" in the bathtub. Oh! the giggles, if only you could have heard the glee ..

.. she's also showered with her dad and knows the difference between a clitoris and penis. Her curiosity has been sated, nothing was hidden. Why should it be? The human body is a work of art ..
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
For the same reason we hide a lot if things from kids, they're kids.... To protect them & let them enjoy a nice, safe, nurtured childhood.
.. this is true ..
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Would you tell them that you weren't really listening when they rambled on for 20 minutes about some cartoon?
.. yes, if a child asked, I'd tell the truth. That teaches them honesty, makes them understand they are not the center of the universe. Spoiled children become self-centered adults ..
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Would you tell them that you deliberately took out the batteries of that damned noisy play gun that grandpa got, just to have quiet?
Would you show them your adult toys or movies?
Would you show them your ass & explain how you like it fingered and why?
.. these are rather outrageous questions, so, won't reply ..

.. no two people think exactly alike when it comes to the 'hows' of raising children. Teaching them about the human body, the gender differences, in a safe environment is conducive to learning without fear ..

.. do you dislike my post? If so, as we've previously agreed, tough ..

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#567218 Nov 29, 2012
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Here's a good question: Why would an almighty, all powerful, all knowing god have to REST on the 7th day- no matter WHAT is meant by the word "day" in the bible?

Why would a god have to rest at all?

I asked this of RR once- he manned up (one of the few times he has) and said he didn't know.

Funny how he can say with such certainty that a day in the bible is NOT a 24 hour period and that the word "day" is translated "wrong".

Yet he finds nothing at all NOT to be taken literally about the FABLE about the second person having been created from a rib of the first person.

Okey-dokey........WOW.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 2 hr Aura Mytha 123,792
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 3 hr Aura Mytha 7,791
Baiting Up Email For Scamming 3 hr Resist the urge 1
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 3 hr onemale 286,558
Why do we live life when we have to die anyway? (Jul '13) 4 hr UnderstandPeople 298
Muslim airlines, Qatar, attempting stake in Ame... 5 hr Doctor REALITY 9
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 hr Anthony MN 681,922
More from around the web