Prove there's a god.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

Since: Apr 12

Orlando but NYC born & raised

#567068 Nov 29, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You really don't read very well, do you?
I read VERY well. You did say you will not be one of those who will take medication for high blood pressure or high cholesterol.

I am NOT gonna scroll back to the posts in which you vehemently stated you are opposed to taking meds.

Maybe if you didn't get so drunk so much of the time, you would remember what you yourself say- of course, alcohol destroys brain cells and really- considering how few you have to work with to begin with.......

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#567069 Nov 29, 2012
*two* drinks with liquor.....

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#567070 Nov 29, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
"Tree of knowledge" is allegorical. Look it up.
so is the crucifixion

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#567071 Nov 29, 2012
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. evil has cultural constricts but the imposition of any person's belief about what's 'right' for everyone, especially people who want nothing to do with their concept, is tyranny ..
i totally agree - kinda like the tyranny of special interest/homosexual marriage legislation!!!

i knew you were a reasonable person at heart!(hugs:)

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#567072 Nov 29, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
All I have are your words. If you claim to be willing to send a person to the ER for nakedness in front of your child, how am I to know you differently? Perhaps you should engage in less hyperbole with respect to violence if you don't actually mean it?
Skombolis wrote:
So nobody should engage in hyperbole or exaggeration because some people will take it literally?
No, you shouldn't - not in a venue like this where many different kinds of people read your words, including many that are unfamiliar with you - and not if you want to be understood.

Your bible's authors make the same mistake when they use metaphor, simile, allegory or whatever in place of clear, expository discourse. It's a useless way to communicate important ideas that you want understood.

Try it in a will: "I bequeath to Jessica the lion's share of my estate if she is as wise as an owl."
Skombolis wrote:
I assumed since the conversation was about what was best for a child you would have known I wouldn't beat a man in front of a 4-year old.
Bad assumption. What was in question were your values regarding what was inappropriate for children to see. That's not a good place to assume that those values are understood.
Skombolis wrote:
But in the future when I post to you I will make sure to preface or qualify everything I say.(by everything I don't actually mean everything but rather cases of exaggeration or hyperbole)
Just learn to write plainly. Why write a sentence like that one above? How about, "I will try to use clear, simple, direct, and precise language"? You can't "make sure" that you will, but you can try harder to do so. Avoid words like "always" and "everything" when you mean often or a lot.

And when you fail to communicate as well as you had hoped, look at why and how you can do better rather than to generate some snarky reply that blames your audience for your failure to communicate.
Skombolis wrote:
Wow, this should be fun.(that comment was meant to be more sarcastic than literal)
Bad attitude. You should be contrite, not sarcastic. You tried to communicate and failed.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#567073 Nov 29, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Ha!
Er...ha?
hi! you're not really gonna ex-communicate me just cuz i won't conform to the PC collective, are you? i thought this was kinda a debate forum:(

Location hidden

#567074 Nov 29, 2012
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
So nobody should engage in hyperbole or exaggeration because some people will take it literally?
Other people got the point. They even noticed I ended my post with pretty much the golden rule that people can only exercise their rights if it doesn't infringe on someone else's.
I assumed since the conversation was about what was best for a child you would have known I wouldn't beat a man in front of a 4-year old. But in the future when I post to you I will make sure to preface or qualify everything I say.(by everything I don't actually mean everything but rather cases of exaggeration or hyperbole) Wow, this should be fun.(that comment was meant to be more sarcastic than literal)
Still, it was a pretty long post I made. I was surprised you had no response to all the points in it other than that one comment. What do you feel about a child thinking it is ok for an adult stranger to be naked in front of him as it relates to the higher potential for abuse?
your morality is entirely self-serving
you lie constantly,
your above post, where you excuse your lack of morality, by delineating your lying, is psycopathic

Location hidden

#567075 Nov 29, 2012
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
I gave you plenty of reasons, especially as it relates to the potential of abuse. I simply got into more detail later as I never thought I would have to explain to someone why an adult stranger shouldn't be allowed to hang his nuts in a child's face. I admit, you caught me by surprise on that one and my initial response was more out of disbelief. The explanations which I didn't think were necessary as they are self-evident came later
your sexually repressive morals are a result of the failed christian ethos you have adopted unexamined.

you are a caricature

Fennario

#567076 Nov 29, 2012
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, the Pat Tillman incident disgusts me. It encompassed such a wide range of participants - that attempted to cover it up and also use it to their advantage as well. It illustrates that no matter how much of a valuable component of a group a person is, how nice he is, how proficient, how brave, how much of a good person he is and willing to "do the right thing" he or she may be or examples. All it takes is for that person to not have one simple inane mythic deity belief and none of that matters.
Agreed.

I'm intrigued by the people that think that you can dish out any amount of abuse and then demand respect and cooperation. Homey don't play dat.

“O'si yo!”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#567077 Nov 29, 2012
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
UIF, I think in fairness to you and everyone else here, it should be understood that none of us, who don't believe, are wanting restrictions placed on religious freedom. In my case, I am looking at it from the point of abuse of other human beings, and when anyone, including a religious person abuses another human being, I object.
Since my background was very much in Christianity, I know that is one of the main ideals of Christianity, to love everyone including one's enemies. Here, however, I have observed a lot of very abusive talk against people, especially traditionally abused people, and most of that abuse on this site is from those who are claiming to be the believers in God.
It doesn't fit my image of Christianity because I was taught to do unto others, etc., and denigrating any group of people, and especially using ancient traditions to justify that, to me, is totally contrary to the message that the book the Bible is trying to tell us that Christ sent us, or gave us.
The fact that I no longer believe in the divinity of the whole picture, does not mean that I have thrown out all my beliefs about what is right and what is wrong, regarding how we treat each other during our short time on earth.
I think the number one thing that a human has to be concerned with after food and shelter, is maintaining good relations with others. We have to do that for our own protection. When we attack others, most of the time, they will retaliate, for their own protection.
Whether we use our religious beliefs to justify that or just the laws of our land, or our personal feelings on the subject, it is still about doing no harm to not be harmed. It is not a foolproof method but it is better than constantly fighting other people.
Regarding past arguments about restrictions on what goes on in schools, etc., regarding God and the Bible, no country today is one religion only with all of their people. So it is not possible to bring religion as a taught behavior into the classroom, because it discriminates against many of the children in those classes, and all kids are required to take certain classes in order to move on to the next level of learning.
In the USA it is illegal to mix religion and the state, and usually public education is under government control. I am not sure that our original constitution in Canada specified separation of church and state (mainly because I don't know what is in our constitution, as that is not something that particularly interests me), but more recent decisions have taken certain forms of religious practices out of the schools, because frankly, except in some very remote and rural communities, most schools have people from all parts of the world and all the world religions.
again, you live in Canada boots.
so you have no jurisdiction or imput as far as it goes in America.

Our founding fathers fled religious persecution and created a new world (America) where people are free to EXERCISE their faith without government meddling.

Anyone who would want to take that away, is not an American
and they are certainly not someone who knows the true meaning of 'freedom'.

Religion in America has NEVER EVER harmed anyone.

If you think restrictions should be placed on the freedoms of people to 'live' their faith openly, then the same restrictions should be put on ANTI-religious folks that harm others with their ungodly philosophies and behavior.

I am not trying to be rude, but i am truly glad you don't live in America.
I cherish the freedoms our forefathers fought and died for so that i might worship God freely.

“O'si yo!”

Location hidden

#567078 Nov 29, 2012
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
UIF, I have some difficulty in understanding your statement that the bible was the primary teaching book in America until the middle 60s. I know in primary school, we had a once a week class about Bible studies which occasionally our minister cmae and particpated in, but aside from that the Bible was not used to teach anything.
It just isn't a text book on grammar, arithmetic, social studies, history, geography. It doesn't have enough depth in those things, which is mainly the things kids are taught in school, so if the Bible was the main book, it must have been only because they had no other books to teach children how to read.
Reading from the Bible too, would run into a lot of problems with proper American grammar, etc., because especially back in my youth, the most common Bible was written in the manner of speaking of English several hundred years prior, which is hardly how we were being taught to read and write in primary school.
then i will provide you with a history link telling you that the bible WAS used as a teaching tool in schools up until the 60s.

http://www.schoolprayerinamerica.info/

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#567079 Nov 29, 2012
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
hi! you're not really gonna ex-communicate me just cuz i won't conform to the PC collective, are you? i thought this was kinda a debate forum:(
Well the church never excommunicated Hitler for killing millions of people so I suppose you are safe

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#567080 Nov 29, 2012
United in faith wrote:
<quoted text>
again, you live in Canada boots.
so you have no jurisdiction or imput as far as it goes in America.
Our founding fathers fled religious persecution and created a new world (America) where people are free to EXERCISE their faith without government meddling.
Anyone who would want to take that away, is not an American
and they are certainly not someone who knows the true meaning of 'freedom'.
Religion in America has NEVER EVER harmed anyone.
If you think restrictions should be placed on the freedoms of people to 'live' their faith openly, then the same restrictions should be put on ANTI-religious folks that harm others with their ungodly philosophies and behavior.
I am not trying to be rude, but i am truly glad you don't live in America.
I cherish the freedoms our forefathers fought and died for so that i might worship God freely.
But you ARE rude- that it is not intentional is actually worse than if it was.

You are SO rude that you have yet to apologize to me for accusing me of lying- did you look AGAIN at nano's post #565798 on page #26928 in which she most definitely DID insult me despite YOUR false claims that she did not?

If you are any kind of person who has any morals or ethics or integrity whatsoever, you will admit that she did in fact insult me and you will apologize to me for claiming I was lying.

And you will admit that you were WRONG.

Let's see how much humility you have- not only as a Christian- but as a PERSON.

“O'si yo!”

Location hidden

#567081 Nov 29, 2012
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
UIF, you haven't mention, I don't think, whether you have your own children and how old they are, but it is criminal behavior to teach a child to return violence for violence. In a big percentage of those cases, especially in some of the more dangerous sections of some areas of the USA, that is almost a guarantee of getting your child killed.
Yes, don't let people push you around, and if bullied get help, but fighting back, except to save one's life, is never a good plan.
Kids don't need to be taught that the fist is how one settles disagreements, because our societies' laws do not permit public violence. We and the USA have laws in place to protect people from bullies, though sometimes people don't take advantage of those laws. Taking the law into your own hands will often turn bad.
In my family violence is avoided.
however i was raised (long ago) that if you are attacked you should do whatever you must to defend yourself.
running from a bully never fixes the problem.
bully's bully because they know they can intimidate someone and get away with it.
teaching your child to not be afraid, to stand their ground and not allow anyone to intimidate them is how you stop a bully.

Fennario

#567082 Nov 29, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I don't think that there's one single piece of science that has disproven anything in the Bible.
Many of the claims of the bible have been falsified by science.

One cannot convince anybody of anything without their willingness to impartially evaluate an argument and be convinced by a compelling argument - the definition of an open mind. You don't have that.

And of course, since no one can convince a man of that which he has a stake in not believing, we don't base our judgment on whether something is proven by the refusals of the people that are committed to resisting the proof.

Doesn't it make sense that we would ignore the protestations of people vested in science being wrong, especially when they are the only ones saying so?

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#567083 Nov 29, 2012
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>Wow! You didn't have any one to turn to, anyone to lean on and help you with such a large emotional load. Must have been hell to you especially at such a young age.
It was hard. Last night I couldn't help but go over it again while trying to go to sleep and I recalled that she(mom) had never called the police when I disappeared that time. It was the longest I'd ever been missing.:(
I mean, SERIOUSLY? wtf?
What kind of parent doesn't call the police when their kid is missing for so long? I could have ended up permanently missing.

“O'si yo!”

Location hidden

#567084 Nov 29, 2012
ROCCO wrote:
<quoted text>
There are not "Billions of churches" on the planet.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_churches_a...
"An estimate I saw about a year ago was 3.7 million Christian congregations. I believe there are around 67,000 denominations. There are close to 50,000 new congregations being added each year. I don't know how many are closing each year so I don't know if its net 50000 per year or not. Not much of this growth is in the US or Europe, but in South America, Africa and Asia. Check out this link http://www.gordonconwell.edu/ockenga/globalch... ;
And this link will show you some interesting facts and trends about Christianity:
http://www.religioustolerance.org/worldrel.ht...
Religion Date Founded Sacred Texts Membership 4 % of World 5
Christianity 30 CE The Bible 2,039 million 32%(dropping)
Islam 622 CE Qur'an & Hadith 1,570 million 22%(growing)
Hinduism 1500 BCE with truly ancient roots Bhagavad-Gita, Upanishads, & Rig Veda 950 million 13%(stable)
No religion
(Note 1)
-
None 775 million 12%(dropping)
Chinese folk religion 270 BCE None 390 million 6%
Buddhism 523 BCE The Tripitaka (consisting of the Vinaya, the Sutras, and the Abhidharma) 350 - 1,600 million (2) 6%(stable?)
Tribal Religions, Shamanism, Animism Prehistory Oral tradition 232 million 4%
Atheists No date None 150 million 2%
New religions. Various Various 103 million 2%
Sikhism 1500 CE Guru Granth Sahib 23.8 million <1%
Judaism Note 3 Torah, Tanach, & Talmud 14.5 million <1%
Spiritism 12.6 million <1%
Baha'i Faith 1863 CE Alkitab Alaqdas 7.4 million <1%
Confucianism 520 BCE Lun Yu 6.3 million <1%
Jainism 570 BCE Siddhanta, Pakrit 4.3 million <1%
Zoroastrianism 600 to 6000 BCE Avesta 2.7 million <1%
Shinto 500 CE Kojiki, Nohon Shoki 2.7 million <1%
Taoism Note 4 550 BCE Tao-te-Ching 2.7 million <1%
Other Various Various 1.1 million <1%
Wicca Note 5 800 BCE, 1940 CE None 0.5 million? <1%
I did not specify 'Christian' churches, i merely said billions of churches.
how many churches do you suppose is in your home town alone?
i can open the phone book in my SMALL town and count approx 70 churches.
thats in a SMALL country area.
this planet is covered with churches.
and my point to the OTHER poster was that if the holy bible were not trustworthy there should would not be so many churches thriving as they have and do.

Since: Nov 12

Benton, KY

#567085 Nov 29, 2012
What in the world? Crazy talk going on in here!!

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#567086 Nov 29, 2012
United in faith wrote:
<quoted text>
In my family violence is avoided.
however i was raised (long ago) that if you are attacked you should do whatever you must to defend yourself.
running from a bully never fixes the problem.
bully's bully because they know they can intimidate someone and get away with it.
teaching your child to not be afraid, to stand their ground and not allow anyone to intimidate them is how you stop a bully.
Yep- just ignore me, you reprobate.

Only a reprobate would not only falsely accuse someone of lying about what was clearly written, but only a reprobate would not admit they were wrong to make the accusation or to apologize for doing so.

What you know about ethics or integrity wouldn't even cover the head of the smallest pin in the world.

I guess that makes you a REALLY "good" Christian, huh?

Feh.

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#567087 Nov 29, 2012
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
nukes
for now
in the future, we will build clean nukes, we are actually close now
Who needs nukes when we have Skynet now?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Latest: Trump lawyer says there's no pardon... 32 min discocrisco 1
News Trump Says He Has - Complete Power' to Pardon 33 min Les 1
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr KENTUCKY CATHOLIC 683,747
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 2 hr old_moose 15,985
So how exactly did O.J. Simpson pull off a doub... 2 hr Doctor REALITY 14
the REAL reason for General Motors sales slumps 2 hr Doctor REALITY 1
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 6 hr Disappointed US ... 6,416
More from around the web