Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Judged:

boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's let that one go, okay; you appear all the time to be less and less of a believer, and just here to get people upset, and you have picked a side and throw in anything and everything regardless of how ridiculous.
Though I do not advocate church attendance now, because I do not believe there is a God, for those who do believe, in order to maintain the faith, and pass it on to the next generations, which would be what I expect true Christians would want, then you have to participate in the body of the church. If everyone decided they could believe in God and stay to themselves, yes, that is okay for them, but the religion would die out very quickly (by all means keep preaching what you are, because that would be a good thing).
The church continues because, at least until recently, it has had a strong organization which keeps the information and passes it on. An organization which members never show up for meetings dies very quickly. God is not just going to be passed on by osmosis, or by walking past someone who happens to be a believer. It takes organization and a lot of hard work to keep something that has no basis in fact going, and that won't happen, if everyone thinks they can do it alone.
Don't get me wrong, the church is a great place to go & learn about God.

I just don't go to church. I feel that they have become corrupted.

That's it.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
The norm.
I'm not a plumber. Females go inside females too. Males go inside males. We just use different tools.
All gays know each other, right?
aren't you sssssoooooo special!!!

why are we talking so much about your gayness? whotf cares?
can we move on to much more higher & nobler issues like....knowing God? if you need to hook-up, most of the rest of the internet is all about that.......

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
The act of expressing your opinion is not wrong, but denigrating and discriminating against gays, because they have a different sexual orientation, is wrong, and that is what you are promoting.
In what way am I "denigrating and discriminating against gays"??????

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Boooots wrote:
I was taught as a very young child to turn the other cheek, so when I was bullied I just let them do it.

RiversideRedneck wrote:
You were raised to be a sissy?
It aint necessarily so wrote:
No, he was raised to be a Christian doormat. Christian ethics teach submission to Massah. That's why you are admonished to take whatever is dished out to you, and be grateful for the abuse when you do.
The Sermon on the Mount is a set of instructions from the ruling class to the peasant class on how to think and behave as they are being exploited and discriminated against.
No, he was raised to be a coward & to run away from a fight and go tattle.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm open to adaptation and improvisation.
of course you are! that's what being 'gay' is all about S E X!!!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

blundunt wrote:
People die. Why? Well... then what? Nothing? How? Why did God make a world where everything in it DIES? There is good and there is evil. Up and down In and out Rich and poor Free and Slave right and wrong Black and white right and left Soft and hard wet and dry Heaven and Hell?
*hint*

A born again Christian doesn't die....

Just FYI.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

Since: Apr 12

Orlando but NYC born & raised

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
So be it. Send them on out. I've already had this discusion with CPS. There's NOTHING wrong with defending yourself.
BTW - I've never sent my son to school with "instructions to break a kid's nose". You're not reading...
<quoted text>
You know what the schools & cops do about bullies?
Nothing.
Until it's too late.
F_ck 'em. And everyone that looks like 'em.
"The phrase "violence begets violence" (or "hate begets hate") means that violent behavior promotes other violent behavior, in return. The phrase has been used for over 50 years, as in speeches by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.(1958)[1] or the news report "Study: TV Violence Begets Violence" by CBS News (March 2003).[2]

Violence begets violence and evil begets evil are concepts described in the Gospel of Matthew, verse 26:52.[3] The passage depicts a disciple (identified in the Gospel of John as Peter) drawing a sword to defend against the arrest of Jesus but being told to sheath his weapon:

Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword.[4]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violence_begets_...

“But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also” Matthew 5:39

To turn the other cheek is neither humiliating nor retaliation. It is rather a response of strength that says,“I will not seek revenge because I am stronger than that”. It also says, I will not respond in shame because I have dignity in Christ. My dignity is not found in if I can hit you back and hurt you. My dignity is found in Christ and I will respond in just the way He would respond."

http://provocativechristian.wordpress.com/200...

Well, you've said that where religion and a belief in Jesus is concerned, you are allowing your kids to make up their own minds, which is basically a good thing.

Then again, for someone who claims to believe in Jesus, don't you have a responsibility to your children to teach them that the Jesus you believe in was a PACIFIST who did not condone acts of violent retaliation which you are encouraging your kids to engage in?

Or is it that you only follow what your Jesus preached when it is convenient for you?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

OCB wrote:
<quoted text>So you advocate people taking the law into their own hands.
No. I advocate self defense. Why is tha such a big damn deal?

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't wanna hear abour your cowardly parental tactics, boooots.
My sons are American and as such WILL defend themselves when necessary & are prepared to do so.
You can keep you Canadian "run away" tactics all you want. Don't peddle them at me.
Did you ever consider that to walk away from a fight is actually much more courageous than it is to lower oneself to the level of the person who started the fight?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

OCB wrote:
<quoted text>Did you ever consider that to walk away from a fight is actually much more courageous than it is to lower oneself to the level of the person who started the fight?
Of course. What, do you think I teach them to knock out everyone that looks sideways at them?

No.

I teach them to defend themselves when necessary and to NOT put up with people's bullshit.

Otherwise people turn into cowards that piss their pants at the first sign of trouble.

“O'si yo!”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Judged:

nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>I have found that stalkers often learn manners the hard way.
most of them go to their graves never learning right from wrong.

sad.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Judged:

OCB wrote:
<quoted text>
"The phrase "violence begets violence" (or "hate begets hate") means that violent behavior promotes other violent behavior, in return. The phrase has been used for over 50 years, as in speeches by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.(1958)[1] or the news report "Study: TV Violence Begets Violence" by CBS News (March 2003).[2]
Violence begets violence and evil begets evil are concepts described in the Gospel of Matthew, verse 26:52.[3] The passage depicts a disciple (identified in the Gospel of John as Peter) drawing a sword to defend against the arrest of Jesus but being told to sheath his weapon:
Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword.[4]"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violence_begets_...
“But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also” Matthew 5:39
To turn the other cheek is neither humiliating nor retaliation. It is rather a response of strength that says,“I will not seek revenge because I am stronger than that”. It also says, I will not respond in shame because I have dignity in Christ. My dignity is not found in if I can hit you back and hurt you. My dignity is found in Christ and I will respond in just the way He would respond."
http://provocativechristian.wordpress.com/200...
Well, you've said that where religion and a belief in Jesus is concerned, you are allowing your kids to make up their own minds, which is basically a good thing.
Then again, for someone who claims to believe in Jesus, don't you have a responsibility to your children to teach them that the Jesus you believe in was a PACIFIST who did not condone acts of violent retaliation which you are encouraging your kids to engage in?
Or is it that you only follow what your Jesus preached when it is convenient for you?
That verse is Matthew is irrelevant to a single person fighting a single person. It means to not wage a pointless war or fight. Jesus was born to die for us. That was His purpose. Don't even try to compare the two.

Defending yourself is NOT revenge. Get a clue.

“O'si yo!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Judged:

OCB wrote:
<quoted text>LOL!! Emily Post???? Who died over FIFTY years ago???
Hey- do you also wear long skirts so that even your ANKLES don't show?
Your prior post said NOTHING about offering your hand first. You said as a woman you can refuse to shake a man's hand- you clearly meant that the man was extending HIS hand first, so quit lying, you back pedaling FOOL.
And I don't need to "learn" culture as I am VERY cultured and very refined whereas the only refinement YOU know about is that to be found in sugar.
Get lost, you WHACKO.
I read Nananomaly's post about handshaking.
not one rude remark, not one insult, not one sarcastic remark, not one to be found, then i read your reply and it opened with a insult about wearing long skirts, it contained insults and name calling and ended with get lost you whacko.

One of you was communicating with a civil tongue, and it was NOT you.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No. I advocate self defense. Why is tha such a big damn deal?
Because children should never resort to violence against each other or anyone or anything else, that's why.

They don't have the intellectual or emotional maturity to make the right judgment calls. You are encouraging your children to take the law into their own hands.

Let me tell you a little story.

A family who lives in my community claims their car was stolen and that they knew who stole it and actually fought with the guy and tried to keep him from taking the car. The police told them that they would keep an eye out for the car, but that the person who allegedly stole it could have changed the plate, moved out of state, etc. so it was a long shot that the car would be recovered.

Some weeks went by and then the person whose car was stolen and his sister actually ran into the guy they thought stole their car.

Did they call the police? No. What they did was forcibly take the guy back to their house where the following occurred:

They were both charged with the following counts:

COMMIT OR FACILITATE COMMISSION OF FELONY- 1st degree felony
ROBBERY - WITH FIREARM- 1st degree felony
CAUSE BODILY HARM OR DISABILITY- 2nd degree felony
AGGRAV ASSLT - W DEADLY WEAPON W/O INTENT TO KILL- 3rd degree felony
FALSE IMPRISONMENT- 3rd degree felony
POSS OF WEAPON OR AMMO BY CONVICTED FLA FELON- 2nd degree felony
BATTERY - TOUCH OR STRIKE- 1st degree misdemeanor

This was several weeks ago- they are both still sitting in jail with no bail.

Were they first the injured party who were simply retaliating for their possession having been stolen?

Yes, they were. Did that in any way justify their actions? No, it did not.

You don't get points for defending yourself in a civilized society by taking matters into your own hands.

Had they done the RIGHT thing- which would have been to alert the proper law enforcement authorities, they just MIGHT have gotten their car back.

But they did the WRONG thing and that they were wronged first doesn't matter in the least.

The moral of the story, RR: TWO WRONGS DO NOT MAKE A RIGHT.

And THAT is the lesson that RESPONSIBLE parents teach their children.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That verse is Matthew is irrelevant to a single person fighting a single person. It means to not wage a pointless war or fight. Jesus was born to die for us. That was His purpose. Don't even try to compare the two.
Defending yourself is NOT revenge. Get a clue.
No, YOU get a clue and quit trying to twist scripture to fit with your twisted perception of what justice is.

“O'si yo!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
No, that is you projecting, a common trait of christians.
you mean like the common trait of atheists to always deny that they go around pushing buttons and poking and irrating others because they have faith in something more than themself?

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Judged:

waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
of course you are! that's what being 'gay' is all about S E X!!!
You are an IDIOT. Being "gay" is all about the same thing as being straight- that being wanting a relationship with someone you LOVE and someone you love on all levels and in all ways.

You are IGNORANT of the fact that MANY gay people have extremely long-term relationships- such as for their entire lives and they are relationships built on the very same foundations as those of heterosexual relationships.

“O'si yo!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't say that, I said your concept of it is new.
how is my concept of it new if it is defined in the ancient scriptures as such?

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Judged:

United in faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I read Nananomaly's post about handshaking.
not one rude remark, not one insult, not one sarcastic remark, not one to be found, then i read your reply and it opened with a insult about wearing long skirts, it contained insults and name calling and ended with get lost you whacko.
One of you was communicating with a civil tongue, and it was NOT you.
She called me a CREEP and to me to "learn culture" at the end of her post. She is anything BUT civil and if you think calling someone a creep is not a rude remark then you're a bigger MORON than nano is.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Judged:

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Your doubts will be quickly confirmed if you visit the "Bush Is a Hero" thread.
Yeah, I'm sure that they would be. I used to be active on the political Topix threads until we left the States, and I know that you are right.

It was the same war there as it is here, only centered around politics instead of religion. And the conservatives posting there were just as off putting as the theists that I later encountered after I switched gears following expatriation.

If you are interested, here are some representative posts from those days. Same style, different subject :

[1] http://www.topix.com/forum/military/army/TL1L... [How martial law can end a republic]
[2] http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T... [Phony conservative ideology]
[3] http://www.topix.com/forum/personal-finance/m... [Bush scared America black]
[4] http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T... [Patriotism is a religion]

I ask myself why I still care enough about the religious issues in America to try to help, but not the political ones. I think it has to do with the hope factor. I have no hope left for American liberalism. It seems mortally wounded. The death of Americanism as I knew it, which is a liberal philosophy, appears to be a foregone conclusion in the process of unfolding itself now.

But there is more than hope for secularism. It seems like a done deal as well, but a win. It's the church that appears mortally wounded in this struggle. After decades of losses and failures, I just grew weary of the hopelessness of American politics and found I preferred the religious debate.

How horrible it must be for Christian Americans to be losing on both fronts, God and country.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 537,541 - 537,560 of720,009
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

565 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 4 min PetesFreedomTrain 114,953
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 5 min Thinking 224,011
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 8 min June VanDerMark 532,333
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 9 min WildWeirdWillie 172,214
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 13 min WasteWater 256,370
Tony Dungy was right 43 min dirty white boy- 19
Delhi me koi randi hai to wechat pe msz kar muj... (Oct '13) 54 min pawan 6
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 1 hr Perera 4,474
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••