|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
Did you know that the primary reason the teenage brain is in chaos is due to a restructuring of neurons? That rebellion people see and stereotype teenagers with is actually their brain fighting itself. The outward projection of that battle is to defy authority. This change in the neural pathways doesn't stop until the early 20's. It's not about hormones at all, the hormones are just another symptom of the same event. Now, how many parents actually know this?
I have a different read on what that rebellion is all about. I think it's one of three instincts that conspire to launch new households.

At a certain age young people begin experiencing lust, which is necessary to get boys and girls together. Before the lust, it's all about cooties.

Girls also develop a nesting and mothering instinct, and want a baby. Without that, why would you have one except by accident?

And finally, children of both genders become restless and argumentative, which promotes their leaving home.

Together, these create new families, a gift of evolution.

What do you think?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Judged:

Aura Mytha wrote:
As a fellow American you are my brother. Maybe the redheaded stepbrother but brother...lol But as a fellow American I would have your back covered and walk point for you.
I used to feel that way, too, but not so much any more. The division along political and religious lines trumps being a fellow American. I happen to be politically liberal and an atheist. I wouldn't expect American Christians or conservatives to stand by me.

Am I wrong? How can we know? I doubt that asking conservatives or Christians would help. I'm pretty sure that I know what their answer has to be, however they actually feel.

Christians and conservatives have been taking shots at both groups, including some of the most prominent of them saying the most outrageous things about us with almost no blow back. Romney recently made an outrageous comment about Obama voters and gift, and look at the hullabaloo. And when Don Imus said something about nappy-headed hos, there was a bruhahah.

But neither of these comments raised much of ruckus:

“No, I don’t know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered as patriots. This is one nation under God.”– George H. W. Bush

"Whether they are defending the Soviet Union or bleating for Saddam Hussein, liberals are always against America. They are either traitors or idiots, and on the matter of America's self-preservation, the difference is irrelevant." - Ann Coulter

Should I expect support from such people, or the tens of millions that are happy enough with them to elect one of them to the White House and put eight books by the other on best seller lists?

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Judged:

It aint necessarily so wrote:
Yet man is sent there. Are you suggesting that your god was unaware of what he would use his hell for when he created it?
Lil Ticked wrote:
Since when?
Since when what? The sent to hell part, the you suggesting something part, the being unaware part, the using hell part, the creating hell part, or some other part?

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Just look around you...
feces for jesus

East Meadow, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Judged:

boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
I tend to agree with you, as when the issue first came to my attention on here a day or two ago, I looked it up and found the same information that you posted. The only possibility that might lead others to believe that hell didn't come around until a few years ago, is there is some discussion about what the meanings of those words are, as they have various meanings in their original language.
Sheol, Hades, Gehenna and Tartarus are not equal to the christian lie of hell. If you wanted to understand where the word Hel/hell comes from and get a better understanding of it, check the etymology.

The original (and current) meaning of Hel is that it is one of the nine worlds of Yggdrassil. It is a realm of COLDNESS and stillness and has nothing to do with eternal damnation and torture, or burning. It is unfortunate that the beliefs and traditions of those we call vikings have been distorted so much.
blundunt

Midlothian, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Judged:

People die. Why? Well... then what? Nothing? How? Why did God make a world where everything in it DIES? There is good and there is evil. Up and down In and out Rich and poor Free and Slave right and wrong Black and white right and left Soft and hard wet and dry Heaven and Hell?

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Judged:

<quoted text>
I used to feel that way, too, but not so much any more. The division along political and religious lines trumps being a fellow American. I happen to be politically liberal and an atheist. I wouldn't expect American Christians or conservatives to stand by me.
Am I wrong? How can we know? I doubt that asking conservatives or Christians would help. I'm pretty sure that I know what their answer has to be, however they actually feel.
Christians and conservatives have been taking shots at both groups, including some of the most prominent of them saying the most outrageous things about us with almost no blow back. Romney recently made an outrageous comment about Obama voters and gift, and look at the hullabaloo. And when Don Imus said something about nappy-headed hos, there was a bruhahah.
“No, I don’t know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered as patriots. This is one nation under God.”– George H. W. Bush
"Whether they are defending the Soviet Union or bleating for Saddam Hussein, liberals are always against America. They are either traitors or idiots, and on the matter of America's self-preservation, the difference is irrelevant." - Ann Coulter
Should I expect support from such people, or the tens of millions that are happy enough with them to elect one of them to the White House and put eight books by the other on best seller lists?
You are making two mistakes here Ians, and you will have to agree with me that your assessment is unfair.

First you are putting and comparing politicians in with the Americans I was referring to ,which in a humanist view are still people (even if they are the lowest order of them).

Secondly you are believing the politicians failed attempts at far right wing rhetoric and propaganda to apply and mean anything to us people in the real world.

It's true the GOP has moved farther right wing
than is desired and some of the politicians have moved close to fascism , but to me they even though are like my embarrassing drunken brother. In fact are still my brother , and are on the same team , so their stupidity is overlooked in that respect.

I see it differently I guess , and the attitude that other Americans can't be on the same team is exactly the problem both candidates have spoken of. The problem of reaching across the isles beyond party lines and actually doing something that has meaning is a paramount concern and is the quality of a statesman.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. yes, I will ..
Oh us, duh... According to Mr1000Socjs, you ARE him...

Apologetics, I mean apologies.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
He can borrow my pants anytime he wants to. A little secret RR. He's my friend. "What?", you may ask. A homosexual and a heterosexual being friends? Should we call the thought police? A priest? A tailor?
Call someone who cares.

Here's a quarter :)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
You callin' me fat?
LMAO!

um no, straight.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Here's a little refreshing honesty I just read on another thread
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T... :

Adam wrote in response to something vile from Christian derek4: "lol. Brotherly love on display."

derek4 replied: "I'm not brothers with the godless."

That's what I thought, and why I'm pretty sure that the Christians would not stand beside a "fellow American" who is more fully known as a vile, godless abomination in the eyes of an infinitely good and loving god that judges him fit for eternal torment just because he was born in Alabama and I was born in California.

Who would risk his life for - or even take the part of - somebody that he has been conditioned to think of in such terms? Once you understand this, doesn't the feeling tend to become mutual?

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Judged:

<quoted text>
Your doubts will be quickly confirmed if you visit the "Bush Is a Hero" thread.

“There's a feeling I get...”

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
You are making two mistakes here Ians, and you will have to agree with me that your assessment is unfair.
First you are putting and comparing politicians in with the Americans I was referring to ,which in a humanist view are still people (even if they are the lowest order of them).
Secondly you are believing the politicians failed attempts at far right wing rhetoric and propaganda to apply and mean anything to us people in the real world.
It's true the GOP has moved farther right wing
than is desired and some of the politicians have moved close to fascism , but to me they even though are like my embarrassing drunken brother. In fact are still my brother , and are on the same team , so their stupidity is overlooked in that respect.
I see it differently I guess , and the attitude that other Americans can't be on the same team is exactly the problem both candidates have spoken of. The problem of reaching across the isles beyond party lines and actually doing something that has meaning is a paramount concern and is the quality of a statesman.
Okay, quick question. Do you think people like United in Faith, Timesten, Simply Said, Bongo, Just Results, bossdrop would have your back in a war?
Flagler Beach

Jemison, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Judged:

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Tax exempt status ring a bell?
And it should stay that way since only the faith based organizations do anything to help clean up the messes after disasters in this country. You atheists sit back and do nothing but bash those who are helping.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Your Jesus is showing.
Well done.
Maybe you should pray.
your anti-christ is showing & it's much worse than my failures at attempting to be true.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Aura Mytha wrote:
You are making two mistakes here Ians, and you will have to agree with me that your assessment is unfair. First you are putting and comparing politicians in with the Americans I was referring to ,which in a humanist view are still people (even if they are the lowest order of them).
Actually, I was referring to all of the people that agree with that politician and that author.

Sure, people are still people. You said, "As a fellow American you are my brother ... I would have your back covered and walk point for you."

That's fine, but commented "I used to feel that way, too, but not so much any more."

And I just offered Christian derek4's comment that he's "not brothers with the godless"

Will you risk your life for somebody like that because he happens to be American? I won't. In fact, if it were necessary to go to war to unseat his religion - if there were no other way to prevent his church from training generations more of his descendants to think that way about our descendants, that would be a war I would support.

I don't want to help him at all except in one way if possible: lead him out of the religion that taught him to think that way. If he remains as he is, and we both know that he likely will until the grave, I have nothing else for him.

Is that a character flaw on my part? Maybe. But if so, I don't feel any burden to work on it. Sorry, but even as a secular humanist, not all life is sacred to me. If somebody wants to take derek4's life, he can have somebody that he DOES consider a brother defend it.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Judged:

Aura Mytha wrote:
Secondly you are believing the politicians failed attempts at far right wing rhetoric and propaganda to apply and mean anything to us people in the real world. It's true the GOP has moved farther right wing than is desired and some of the politicians have moved close to fascism , but to me they even though are like my embarrassing drunken brother. In fact are still my brother , and are on the same team , so their stupidity is overlooked in that respect.
"to me they even though are like my embarrassing drunken brother. In fact are still my brother, and are on the same team , so their stupidity is overlooked in that respect."

Then you're a better man than I. Loyalty, fidelity, integrity: those things matter to me. I don't love my enemies. I think it's bad advice. But maybe I'm wrong there.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Judged:

Aura Mytha wrote:
I'm talking about the attitudes of "fellow Americans" that are also Christians and conservatives. When I lived in rural Missouri from 1998 to 2009, I really only got two stations on my radio that I could receive well enough to listen to in the daytime. One was a Jesus station, and the other featured Dennis "the pseudolibertarian" Prager in the morning, Rush "Ditto" Limbaugh at lunch time, and Sean "You're a great American" Hannity in the evening.

I was in the car most weekdays at those times, and heard them all. And I can tell you that I don't like or trust people that buy into that. I heard thousands of people over the years refer to liberals and skeptics as un-American, anti-American, parasites, a disease, traitors, and everything else but fellow American. And I remember the abuse heaped on names like Gore, Kerry, Hillary Clinton, Bill Clinton, Barney Frank, Tom Daschle, Paul Wellstone, Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi and Barack Obama. The seething hatred was palpable. It was also directed at celebrity liberals like Susan Sarandon, Natalie Mains, Cindy Sheehan, and Sean Penn. The die was pretty well cast from all of those experiences. It was perfectly OK to hate liberals.

And though I don't hate conservatives, I don't trust or respect them, either. It would be pretty unnatural ask me to risk my life for such people or cover their backs in any way.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Judged:

River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Who said I was a humanist? Who said I want the freedom of speech for christians removed?
WTF are you babbling about?
you came at me with the ole "my bigotry is okay because it's a good bigotry" routine and i called you on it; that's what i'm babbling about;)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Judged:

boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
Having had both a wife and and daughter who worked in what you call Children's Services, I would think that if wind got to them of a father who sent his kid to school with instructions to break a kid's nose if bullied, the father, or family, would be getting a visit from Children's Services.
So be it. Send them on out. I've already had this discusion with CPS. There's NOTHING wrong with defending yourself.

BTW - I've never sent my son to school with "instructions to break a kid's nose". You're not reading...
In a free society with laws and laws against violence, teaching a child that a violent act should be treated with another violent act, as opposed to getting the proper authorities to act on laws that are in place, especially today to deal with such situations is bad parenting, and has the potential of creating a violent adult in your child.
You know what the schools & cops do about bullies?

Nothing.

Until it's too late.

F_ck 'em. And everyone that looks like 'em.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 537,521 - 537,540 of716,872
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

597 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 min June VanDerMark 530,232
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 4 min Gray 114,684
Teach your children to be LEERY of strangers 6 min Doctor REALITY 6
Do you enjoy seeing your sister nude / naked? (Sep '13) 18 min razz58 319
2001 Ford F-150 5.4 Rough Idle (Nov '08) 21 min scollins 24
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 26 min trifecta1 598,782
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 26 min RiccardoFire 93,241
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 44 min HipGnozizzz 171,476
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 51 min Aura Mytha 223,260
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 4 hr WasteWater 255,737
Sims 4 Key Generator (Oct '13) 5 hr SimmerExtreme 64
•••
•••