Comments
537,401 - 537,420 of 733,038 Comments Last updated 3 min ago

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#566055 Nov 26, 2012
Sorry if these double post. I had to go back pages on firefox to retrieve my posts as for some reason my last did not show up. Or showed up and then disappeared. Here they are again
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>

Pedophilia is more of a problem in cultures where there are many taboos and sexual repression. Due to the nature of American culture, we produce pedophiles and rapists. Repression breeds obsession. You need look no farther than the Catholic Priesthood to see that in action.
That is simply not true. The percentage of priests accused of rape is 1.8%. The average percentage of pedophiles in general population is 4%
Pedophile

4%
http://www.registeredoffenderslist.org/what-i...

http://tinyurl.com/3xqcnq

Not to mention pedophiles seek out the church for two reasons. 1) Because being an adult not in an adult sexual relationship raises no red flags. and 2) It gives them better opportunities to abuse. Pedophiles are opportunistic abusers. It is why the number one profession with the highest number of pedophiles is teachers. It has nothing to do with repression. Someone is a pedophile long, long before adulthood. Science believes pedophiles are either born that way or abused into becoming that way for the vast majority of cases. In some cases there simply is no answer but that predilection is established well before an adult
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Children are vulnerable when they aren't well supervised. It doesn't matter if they are naked to a predator. They are looking for easy prey, not naked prey. They'll get them naked after they catch them, so that's not a big deal from their perspective.
But there is no way a culture where children think it is ok for a stranger to be naked around them would not aid a pedophiles efforts. Many pedophiles try to confuse their victim into being a "willing" participant.

There just is no reason for it. What possible good outweighs the potential dangers in your mind? Especially when whatever good could be taught in other ways?

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#566056 Nov 26, 2012
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
What will happen if one day one of your kids (if there are several), finds himself surrounded by ten other kids who have decided to repay him for that broken nose your son gave that bully.

Unlikely. Most bullies only have a few friends, not usually more than one or two. And they're not BFF's or anything. They hang with the bully because they themselves are weak. They look up to the bully. But as soon as the bully gets bullied... That's all she wrote.
You get a knock on the door and a cop is standing there, and looks rather uncomfortable. "Sir, would you mind if I step indoors for a few minutes. I need to talk with you and you might want to sit down first. I have the unpleasant duty of informing you that a boy, who carried ID indicating that he is your son, has been killed. When you have had a few moments to get yourself together, I am going to have to ask you to accompany me downtown to officially identity the body, as that is required by law. If we can help you in any other way, such as calling someone to come and talk with you, by all means say so."
Oh! You've convinced me! I'm gonna run right out & tell my kids to just go ahead and get beat up. Don't fight back. Do nothing but inform the authorities. Basically, be French....

Location hidden

#566058 Nov 26, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I take it you mean Catcher.
The rest of your post I will ignore.
never a cather!

Location hidden

#566059 Nov 26, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not going to talk-block anybody.
LMAO!!!

Good man, TwB... Good man.

Location hidden

#566060 Nov 26, 2012
feces for jesus wrote:
<quoted text>
I get my name from a good song. Check it out...
Matthew says Gehenna, not hell. The word Hel/hell did not exist untill 700+ years after the bible was written. Facts are your enemy.
Actually there are three different terms for hell. Sheol, Hades, and Tartarus.

Hades is from the original Greek word Gehenna which is translated "hell" or "the fires of hell,

Facts are your enemy it would seem

You do understand how words are translated do you not?

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#566061 Nov 26, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
never a cather!
Yes, Willa!

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#566062 Nov 26, 2012
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>Do tell where people live without ANY clothing at all.
Blacks beach.

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

#566063 Nov 26, 2012
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
That is simply not true. The percentage of priests accused of rape is 1.8%. The average percentage of pedophiles in general population is 4%
Pedophile
4%
http://www.registeredoffenderslist.org/what-i...
If the percentage of priests accused of rape is 1.8 %, what do you think the percentage is of sexual attraction to children? Do you think it would be higher than 4%. That statistic is also vague. Are they talking about America or the world? It's clear that the 4% represents people with the sexual attraction towards children. It doesn't say how many of those actually act on that attraction.

My contention that sexual repression increases the chance of unethical sexual behavior is sound. If priests were allowed to marry, they would be less likely to act on any underlying urges they might have. They would be less likely to develop urges that they never had to begin with.
Skombolis wrote:
This link didn't take me to the specific page, but it came up on a page from the Catholic League for Civil and Religious Rights. I wouldn't trust this source independently.
Skombolis wrote:
Not to mention pedophiles seek out the church for two reasons. 1) Because being an adult not in an adult sexual relationship raises no red flags. and 2) It gives them better opportunities to abuse. Pedophiles are opportunistic abusers. It is why the number one profession with the highest number of pedophiles is teachers. It has nothing to do with repression.
It is for priests who are forbidden from having normal sexual relationships. For teachers, it wouldn't be a big factor.
Skombolis wrote:
Someone is a pedophile long, long before adulthood. Science believes pedophiles are either born that way or abused into becoming that way for the vast majority of cases. In some cases there simply is no answer but that predilection is established well before an adult
Does sexual repression help anything? I would only argue that repression makes all of this worse, whatever the causes might be. Repression could even be the root cause in some cases, like with Priests who are not allowed to have normal sexual relationships, but have easy access to children who are already conditioned to see them as authority figures. Allowing priests to have normal sexual relationships would decrease the amount of child rapes.
Skombolis wrote:
But there is no way a culture where children think it is ok for a stranger to be naked around them would not aid a pedophiles efforts. Many pedophiles try to confuse their victim into being a "willing" participant.
There just is no reason for it. What possible good outweighs the potential dangers in your mind? Especially when wahtever good could be taught in other ways?
I suppose if the pedophile is just looking for a quick thrill, having a kid already naked is a little more convenient, but if the predatory activity is taking place, the presence of clothing makes little difference. Preventing the predatory activity would start with good supervision. If nudity makes it easier, so would an affinity for ice cream. Would you teach your kids to hate ice cream because pedos use it to lure them in? This is like victim blaming. If we have to put up an impenetrable defense every time we leave our house, we aren't really living. Nudity to a nudist is pretty damn important, I would expect.

I suppose we could play it safe and pull our kids out of these dangerous environments, like schools and churches. If that's where the pedos are, that would be more effective than a layer of cotton.

Location hidden

#566064 Nov 26, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you do when people call you names?

I usually laugh.
Name a special right that homosexuals are asking for?
Same sex marriage. As only gays will do it, it's a special right. Special just for gays.

Location hidden

#566065 Nov 26, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Blacks beach.
San Diego county doesn't allow public nudity...

"We maintain a family friendly presence at Black's beach."
"Black's Beach Bares, a group of beach users dedicated to the clothing optional use of Black's Beach."

lol!! Nudity is a family function to some weirdos...

blacksbeach.org

Location hidden

#566066 Nov 26, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Blacks beach.
Oh! And people don't live there.

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

#566067 Nov 26, 2012
Skombolis wrote:
Edit Tide:
I realized I didn't finish my though on priests. The point is that if anything because pedophiles would seek out a church to hide in plain sight and have opportunities to abuse, it is surprising to me the numbers are not a lot higher. But we do have to balance it with what has been covered up. However at the same time this is charged, not convicted so it is pretty inclusive. Whether the percentage points might dip or be a little higher the bottom line is basically it is the same percentage as the population as a whole. Someone is a pedophile long before coming a priest. Just like they are a pedophile long before coming a teacher, who are at the highest rate of abuse.
For every scumbag molester priest, there are thousands who live good lives or try to at least as hard as most. The reason there is such a generalization about priests is because it is a big news item, especially because of the coverups. As it should be. But if someone picks up a paper and read a priest molested a kid 3-4 times in their entire life it is still human nature to think, man what is going on over there even though even more kids are being molested by teachers and psychiatrists and in the general population as a whole.
Being a priest does not make someone any more likely to be a pedophile. The systematic cover-ups unfortunately have led to a climate of abuse. A safer haven for pedophiles if you will but they were pedophiles before they got there. And if they weren't abusing there they would simply be trying to be abusing kids elsewhere.
(T) Peace
You may be right, but I might be right too. I don't think sexual repression is healthy, and it makes existing problems worse. I haven't seen you defend the RCC's position on priests not being allowed to get married, so I'll assume you might also see a problem with that.

We don't really know the full scope of sexual abuse that has taken place within the clergy. We know that the RCC is more interested in keeping these instances quiet than seeing justice done.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#566068 Nov 26, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
One doesn't need to attend church to be a Christian.....
America is roughly 75% Christian.
Deal with it.
Actually if one considers themselves a true Christian he will attend church if he is able, because that is part of the whole package as it is presented. Technically I agree with you because now I don't believe there is a God, so it really doesn't matter anyway if you go to church or you don't. However, for those who are actually Christians, one of the tenets of Christianity is congregating together with others to worship God (and of course kick in your money - they can't get your money if you don't go).

Location hidden

#566069 Nov 26, 2012
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually if one considers themselves a true Christian he will attend church if he is able, because that is part of the whole package as it is presented. Technically I agree with you because now I don't believe there is a God, so it really doesn't matter anyway if you go to church or you don't. However, for those who are actually Christians, one of the tenets of Christianity is congregating together with others to worship God (and of course kick in your money - they can't get your money if you don't go).
Attending church is not necessary or important in being a Christian.

Giving money to a church is not necessary or important in being a Christian.

Why do you think a tenet of Christianity is attending church?

“Michin yeoja”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#566070 Nov 26, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I usually laugh.
<quoted text>
Same sex marriage. As only gays will do it, it's a special right. Special just for gays.
The first answer was perfect.

The second answer is ridiculous. SSM doesn't stipulate that you have to be gay.

Location hidden

#566071 Nov 26, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
The first answer was perfect.
The second answer is ridiculous. SSM doesn't stipulate that you have to be gay.
But a straight person would never marry the same sex. It'd be a law tailored exclusively for gays...

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#566072 Nov 26, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I usually laugh.
<quoted text>
.. in most states, only a man can marry a woman so males have a special right. That's unconstitutional ..

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#566073 Nov 26, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
The topic was about pedos, which would have to be adults, thus if kids know more about how computers work than their parents, how would pedos be more capable than those kids? That's the contradiction in your assertion.
Thanks Kitten, now I remember. The answer is that pedos can use the net, and it has already been happening, and many have been caught, of attracting children to them through various ruses, such as pretending to be another kid, or even pretending to be an adult but with something to give to the child that they must do something to get. Since in most cases we have no idea if the person we are communicating is truthful or a 100% fake, so these people can get a lot of kids simply due to the very large numbers who they can access.

Yes kids in general do have a better grasp of computers and the net than most of their parents do, but it is the adults who invented and use the computers on their jobs etc, and amongst these you don't need many knowledgeable pedos to make up for a lot of naive parents, which gets kids into trouble.

As an adult in one year I met about 8 ** women through an on-line popular dating site, and I am now married to one of them. As it turned out, none of the women misrepresented themselves, and turned out to be a gay man or an ugly woman who had posted a picture of an attractive woman, etc., but from a woman's point of view I understand that many have been misled by unscrupulous people to meet them or do things, which when it was too late they found out they had been fooled.

One thing with all of the women I met from online sites is we both insisted on meeting at a very public restaurant where, if anything had been misrepresented, one or either could have walked away with no harm done. I guess the exception to that is my current wife who I met at the entrance to a large public museum type place in a large city, and at the moment of meeting we each saw each other from a distance, and in her case she could have turned and walked away if she felt that I was not the person she had seen online, but she did not have the protection of being in the company of other people, as at that moment, if I recall correctly, no other people were in the immediate vicinity.

Fortunately that didn't happen to me, though I must admit I was fooled online in one or two cases in thinking that the person I was talking to was someone other than who they were (not in the online dating thing though). In fact how many times has that happened just on this site, and is still happening daily?

** Not wanting to sound like a real lady's man, as those were 8 of about 12 women that I dated in my whole life, and about 6 of them including my wife, were all located in a matter of a couple of hours online on one day and I saw all of them in the course of about 8 days, whereas 2 others were found earlier in the year, and I was still visiting one of them platonically at the time I met my wife (she had insisted on only a platonic relationship because I was still trying very hard to keep my partner who had cheated on me. She didn't want to be the 'other' woman. My meeting my wife was more a comedy of errors than a deliberate attempt to find a spouse, but as it turned out, though we did things in a bit of an unorthodox fashion, the result has worked out just fine.

Location hidden

#566074 Nov 26, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
If the percentage of priests accused of rape is 1.8 %, what do you think the percentage is of sexual attraction to children? Do you think it would be higher than 4%. That statistic is also vague. Are they talking about America or the world? It's clear that the 4% represents people with the sexual attraction towards children. It doesn't say how many of those actually act on that attraction.
My contention that sexual repression increases the chance of unethical sexual behavior is sound. If priests were allowed to marry, they would be less likely to act on any underlying urges they might have. They would be less likely to develop urges that they never had to begin with.
<quoted text>
This link didn't take me to the specific page, but it came up on a page from the Catholic League for Civil and Religious Rights. I wouldn't trust this source independently.
That was the original page but at the bottom they link all their sources like FBI databases and accredited places of study. Otherwise i would think it might be bias too

You are right, it does not make the distinction between pedophile and abuser. Although (and granted this is hardly a scientific method) I seriously doubt there are many pedophiles who don't try to abuse. They may not all get caught. But lets say half of them do. Then that puts you at the same number of Catholic priest accused. And maybe some of them are innocent?

This isn't an exact science and in no way is trying to defend the priests that abuse. But the numbers are close enough where we can see there probably is not much difference between the general population and priests. And we know for sure more teachers are guilty than priests. So all this tells me is again, pedophiles probably makes up about 4% of the population and will take jobs where they will have the best opportunity to abuse
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
It is for priests who are forbidden from having normal sexual relationships. For teachers, it wouldn't be a big factor.
<quoted text>
You have to apply the same way of measuring across the board. And if more teachers abuse than priests and teachers aren't repressed at all, then how can repression turn people into pedophiles?
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Does sexual repression help anything? I would only argue that repression makes all of this worse, whatever the causes might be. Repression could even be the root cause in some cases, like with Priests who are not allowed to have normal sexual relationships, but have easy access to children who are already conditioned to see them as authority figures. Allowing priests to have normal sexual relationships would decrease the amount of child rapes.
No sexual repression is not a good thing. But i would argue it only exasperates what is already there. A kid wanting to rebel will rebel harder. A person interested in sex will be all the more active. But it doesn't turn someone straight into a pedophile and it doesn't turn someone gay into a pedophile. Pedophiles are who they are either through genetics or systematic abuse imo.

Could pulling kids out of churches and schools be an option? Maybe. But wouldn't a better solution be just don't leave them unsupervised? Always have several parents there or teachers or priests as odds are they aren't all pedophiles. Just like the more practical solution here is just don't subject kids to genitals in their face and make them think it is ok for adult strangers to be around them naked. I mean I am not suggesting we over-react and go nuts but some solutions are easy and when there is no reason not to do them as there is no real plus side as we can teach kids not to be repressed without needing naked adults to do it, then we should find smarter ways.(T) Peace

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#566075 Nov 26, 2012
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
Puleeze
It was simply some creative hyperbole to illustrate I would be pissed to have my God-child subjected to something I found that offensive and invasive of his personal space. Do you really think I would beat a man in front of a 4-year old child unless we were in physical danger? Clearly seeing a violent assault would do more damage to his psyche than seeing someone naked, even though both would be traumatic. All due respect but commons sense should made this obvious. If it didn't, you could have asked.
(T) Peace
you have the integrity of a christian

what skom

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Are truck drivers faithful?? (Sep '08) 3 min Ginger 64 169
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 7 min tamil 5,319
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 8 min guest 538,995
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 10 min eduardomanalo 117,973
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 20 min Tuco Blondie 226,358
Hot gays in Abu Dhabi (Nov '13) 1 hr Falcon 743
Appjoy invite code 1 hr Ananas123678 45
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr Peace_Warrior 599,943
Sims 4 Key Generator (Oct '13) 2 hr Blck 106
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 4 hr Dr_Zorderz 258,000
•••
Enter and win $5000

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••