Who? Me, me, me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

OCB wrote:
And the reason that awareness is being raised NOW is due to the dramatic increase in bullying- with much of that due to the internet.
Well, that's good then. Thanks, Internet! It only sucks that it has taken this long.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

Judged:

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, that's good then. Thanks, Internet! It only sucks that it has taken this long.
A lot of good changes in society have occurred since the advent of the world wide internet it's amazing even to me. Though several other technophiles and I predicted as much, it's still amazing. Like suddenly we know what's really happening everywhere and people are using that knowledge to correct mistakes, most times. Look at the violent crime rates in the US from just before the world wide web to present, it's elating to know we gave the next generation the best tool for fixing our mistakes.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

Orlando but NYC born & raised

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

Judged:

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
But it's a double edged sword.

The internet has served to be the perfect venue for bullying to increase.

If there was no internet, while bullying would still exist, it would not be as rampant as it is now.

Also, I don't know about you as I don't know when you were in school, but when I was, there was really no such thing as even the biggest bullies and the most violent of kids bringing guns or any other weapons to school, no need for metal detectors or kid's belongings being looked through, etc.

The times have changed with much of that change NOT being for the good.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

Judged:

nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>The tone of your earlier post suggested that you thought everyone should run around naked in public. Considering how many people there are in the world that means that most children would have a considerable amount of crotches invading their personal space, from walking in the mall to standing in line at the checkout at every store they enter. I never mentioned nudists, as in nudist camps, jackass. I'm not the one here who brought up the subject of public nudity. Can the self righteous bs.
What makes you think if everyone was running around naked, it would affect kids SO much more than adults?

If anything, the reverse is true, since kids- little ones, anyway- see nothing wrong with nudity and many little kids LOVE running around naked.

No- what it would mean is that most PEOPLE would have a considerable amount of crotches invading their personal space, with that being found offensive by more ADULTS than children. Children probably wouldn't find it offensive at all as children are not born with a sense of shame or modesty about their bodies- that is learned behavior.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

Judged:

OCB wrote:
<quoted text>Kitten, it HAS increased and cyber bullying is on the rise more than any other form of bullying. In addition, unlike when I was in school, kids who are gay are now openly revealing that which is increasing bullying.
Also, I think how much more materialistic we've become as a society also has led to an increase of children being bullied by other children.
If a kid doesn't have a cell phone, or the newest cell phone available, or an iPod or an iPad, etc. they become prime targets to be bullied.
I'm not saying bullying hasn't always existed; it has, but it has also gotten worse in recent years.
"Bullying is becoming more and more frequent among today's youth in locations like school and online, according to recent bullying statistics. There are different types of bullying of which bullying statistics reveal almost half of all students have experienced.
Unfortunately, recent bullying statistics show that bullying is on the rise among young adults, teens and children. The rise in these bullying statistics is likely due to a fairly recent form of bullying seen in recent years called cyber bullying. This type of bullying has gotten immense media attention over the past few years sighting instances of cyber bullying pushed too far, and in many cases leading to cases of teen suicide or death. Many bullying statistics and studies have found that physical assaults have been replaced with constant cyber assaults in the form of bashing, rumors and other hazing content targeted at a single student or group of students.
As these bullying statistics indicate, bullying is just getting worse in American schools. Many studies have shown that increasing domestic violence at home are leading to an increase in bullying online and at school."
http://www.bullyingstatistics.org/content/bul...
You are losing perspective in this issue. Better reporting will of course increase the statistics. You do realize that about 10% of the videos uploaded to YouTube and other sites include bullying that was never reported until the video was noticed. I mean a few months ago we saw justice for an elderly lady because it was the whole bus bullying her, so no one reported it, and she didn't hear most of it. But the students uploaded the videos, and were disciplined because we saw it and reported it, if not for the videos it would never have been noticed, it would not have even been a statistic. When you increase the awareness of something, statistics will also always, in all cases, spike. That is why statistics are not entirely reliable.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

Judged:

OCB wrote:
Of course everyone knows a nation is people and not government.....the POINT is that the laws which govern the people are SECULAR because the nation is SECULAR with NO official religion.
See? You don't understand the difference between "government" & "people".

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

Judged:

OCB wrote:
<quoted text>But it's a double edged sword.
The internet has served to be the perfect venue for bullying to increase.
If there was no internet, while bullying would still exist, it would not be as rampant as it is now.
Also, I don't know about you as I don't know when you were in school, but when I was, there was really no such thing as even the biggest bullies and the most violent of kids bringing guns or any other weapons to school, no need for metal detectors or kid's belongings being looked through, etc.
The times have changed with much of that change NOT being for the good.
Okay, I'm going to try to be nice because you are spouting the same nonsense Killary used to try to ban video games.

When something is more easy to detect, it will always seem like it increases, because when it was happening before you never knew it, it was still happening, it was still there, just no one knew it was there. The internet strips the masks away, the polite "how do you do" on the street is a mask. So we see the real person, we see the person that was suppressed because of "social norms" and other such crap. But, they were always like that. Now we can find these people, address their problems, and fix the situation that we didn't know existed until the information was made available for all to see. It has always been there, you just didn't see it, no one did except the victims, and society has a bad habit of painting victims as being the ones in the wrong.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

Judged:

OCB wrote:
<quoted text>What makes you think if everyone was running around naked, it would affect kids SO much more than adults?
If anything, the reverse is true, since kids- little ones, anyway- see nothing wrong with nudity and many little kids LOVE running around naked.
No- what it would mean is that most PEOPLE would have a considerable amount of crotches invading their personal space, with that being found offensive by more ADULTS than children. Children probably wouldn't find it offensive at all as children are not born with a sense of shame or modesty about their bodies- that is learned behavior.
Children also do not equate nudity with sex like so many adults do. We need to destroy the taboo more than anything, though I won't give up my clothes, I like clothing.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
See? You don't understand the difference between "government" & "people".
I most certainly do understand the difference. What YOU do not understand is that what the majority of people are- be it Christian, white and/or English speaking does NOT make the nation itself Christian, white or only English speaking.

Not gonna go around and around on this with you anymore, RR- The USA is a secular nation where any and all PEOPLE have the Constitutional right to practice any religion they want or no religion at all.

You are stuck in your sophomoric "majority rules" mindset, which does not apply when the issue is religion, race or what language is spoken.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
When I state I am German, is that a lie because I was born in the USA?
Maybe not a lie, but it's incorrect.

If you're born in America, you're American.

If you're born in Germany, you're German.

Pretty simple.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, I'm going to try to be nice because you are spouting the same nonsense Killary used to try to ban video games.
When something is more easy to detect, it will always seem like it increases, because when it was happening before you never knew it, it was still happening, it was still there, just no one knew it was there. The internet strips the masks away, the polite "how do you do" on the street is a mask. So we see the real person, we see the person that was suppressed because of "social norms" and other such crap. But, they were always like that. Now we can find these people, address their problems, and fix the situation that we didn't know existed until the information was made available for all to see. It has always been there, you just didn't see it, no one did except the victims, and society has a bad habit of painting victims as being the ones in the wrong.
WTF are you talking about?

The internet makes it easier to bully. Yes- it also makes it easier to deter crime or at least to apprehend criminals, but with the good comes the bad and vice versa.

And sorry- but back when I was in school, kids who were gay were NOT openly proclaiming it as is the case today. I don't see a problem with gay kids coming out; I see the bullying that often results as the problem.

Look- I grew up in Manhattan and until the 10th grade, attended PUBLIC schools. In those schools were kids of all races and religions and economic backgrounds as well.

Bullying WAS the exception.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

Judged:

OCB wrote:
If a kid doesn't have a cell phone, or the newest cell phone available, or an iPod or an iPad, etc. they become prime targets to be bullied.
You're wrong. My kids have NO cell phone, lat alone the "latest & greatest" version... They don't get bullied at all. They don't get made fun of, or picked on or anything. In fact, the schools reports that 48% of the kids have no phones.

You're old & behind the times, COB.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Children also do not equate nudity with sex like so many adults do. We need to destroy the taboo more than anything, though I won't give up my clothes, I like clothing.
Whether or not you like clothing, humans NEED clothing. The primary purpose of clothing is not to cover up our nudity due to shame about our bodies, but for protection against the elements.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe not a lie, but it's incorrect.
If you're born in America, you're American.
If you're born in Germany, you're German.
Pretty simple.
But my family is German up until my father. ;)

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

Judged:

OCB wrote:
<quoted text>WTF are you talking about?
The internet makes it easier to bully. Yes- it also makes it easier to deter crime or at least to apprehend criminals, but with the good comes the bad and vice versa.
And sorry- but back when I was in school, kids who were gay were NOT openly proclaiming it as is the case today. I don't see a problem with gay kids coming out; I see the bullying that often results as the problem.
Look- I grew up in Manhattan and until the 10th grade, attended PUBLIC schools. In those schools were kids of all races and religions and economic backgrounds as well.
Bullying WAS the exception.
How does it make it easier to bully?

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You are losing perspective in this issue. Better reporting will of course increase the statistics. You do realize that about 10% of the videos uploaded to YouTube and other sites include bullying that was never reported until the video was noticed. I mean a few months ago we saw justice for an elderly lady because it was the whole bus bullying her, so no one reported it, and she didn't hear most of it. But the students uploaded the videos, and were disciplined because we saw it and reported it, if not for the videos it would never have been noticed, it would not have even been a statistic. When you increase the awareness of something, statistics will also always, in all cases, spike. That is why statistics are not entirely reliable.
OMG- LOL!!! And were it NOT for youtube, many bullying incidents wouldn't take place to begin with! There is much bullying taking place for the purpose of loading it onto youtube.

Whatever, Kitten.....there is more violence and bullying in schools than ever before and not ONLY because of the internet as I stated to someone else, so stop defending the internet to me, please.

Kids bringing guns and other weapons to school has led to the need for metal detectors in MANY schools. And I would say that threatening someone with a deadly weapon is bullying to the nth degree.

Sorry, but back when I was in school, NO kids had guns or other weapons and that is all too commonplace today.

Point is, that while the internet has created what we know as cyber bullying, plenty of bullying takes place today which has nothing to do with the internet and which did NOT exist when I was in school.

Bullying HAS increased.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

Judged:

OCB wrote:
<quoted text>Whether or not you like clothing, humans NEED clothing. The primary purpose of clothing is not to cover up our nudity due to shame about our bodies, but for protection against the elements.
There are many locales people could live without clothing, and for a very long time humans existed in Africa without clothing at all. It's just an idiotic taboo thing really, but meh.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You're wrong. My kids have NO cell phone, lat alone the "latest & greatest" version... They don't get bullied at all. They don't get made fun of, or picked on or anything. In fact, the schools reports that 48% of the kids have no phones.
You know, I'm getting annoyed at agreeing with you, knowing you still think that this world is somehow heading toward a mythical "end." But yeah, they made these same claims, the anti-progress freaks, with music, television, radio, tape cassettes, etc.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Sigh....I am neither old or behind the times, RR.

You think you being 12 years younger than I am is such a big difference? Pfft.

And YOU are wrong- your kids are not representative of kids across the nation.

"About 75 percent of 12- to 17-year-olds in the United States own a mobile phone, up from 45 percent in 2004, according to an April study by the Pew Internet and American Life Project, part of the Pew Research Center. And children are getting their phones at earlier ages, industry experts say. The Pew study, for example, found that 58 percent of 12-year-olds now had a cellphone, up from 18 percent in 2004."

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/10/technology/...

"Whether or not to allow middle-school kids to carry a cellphone is one of the top three questions I get, along with when is it safe to leave our child at home alone and when can they go to the mall alone," Estes said.

In middle school, tweens spend more time with peers and less time with adults, meaning there is often no adult readily available. It's also the age when peer pressure begins to push hard, and kids are more likely to begin engaging in risky behavior while confiding less in Mom and Dad.

Unlike Roberts, Estes thinks cellphones can be positive for preteens.

"Providing a cellphone to your middle-schooler can provide a communication tool that will keep you in contact with your child and will allow for them to 'fly under the radar' with their friends if they are concerned about drawing negative attention to themselves," said Estes.

If a parent should decide that a phone for his or her tween is okay, the phone shouldn't be handed over unconditionally. A child should accepta cellphone under certain restrictions for example, respectful behavior to parents, grades maintained and a balanced lifestyle that includes physical activity."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/48653269/ns/techn...

And I have little doubt that your kids so wish you would take that overinflated head of yours out of your a@@.

Get back to me when you know what you're talking about, and since you never do, it will indeed be a pleasure never to hear from you again.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Sigh....I am neither old or behind the times, RR.

You think you being 12 years younger than I am is such a big difference? Pfft. That tells me that you have the maturity of a 12 year old.

And YOU are wrong- your kids are not representative of kids across the nation.

"About 75 percent of 12- to 17-year-olds in the United States own a mobile phone, up from 45 percent in 2004, according to an April study by the Pew Internet and American Life Project, part of the Pew Research Center. And children are getting their phones at earlier ages, industry experts say. The Pew study, for example, found that 58 percent of 12-year-olds now had a cellphone, up from 18 percent in 2004."

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/10/technology/...

"Whether or not to allow middle-school kids to carry a cellphone is one of the top three questions I get, along with when is it safe to leave our child at home alone and when can they go to the mall alone," Estes said.

In middle school, tweens spend more time with peers and less time with adults, meaning there is often no adult readily available. It's also the age when peer pressure begins to push hard, and kids are more likely to begin engaging in risky behavior while confiding less in Mom and Dad.

Unlike Roberts, Estes thinks cellphones can be positive for preteens.

"Providing a cellphone to your middle-schooler can provide a communication tool that will keep you in contact with your child and will allow for them to 'fly under the radar' with their friends if they are concerned about drawing negative attention to themselves," said Estes.

If a parent should decide that a phone for his or her tween is okay, the phone shouldn't be handed over unconditionally. A child should accepta cellphone under certain restrictions for example, respectful behavior to parents, grades maintained and a balanced lifestyle that includes physical activity."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/48653269/ns/techn...

And I have little doubt that your kids so wish you would take that overinflated head of yours out of your a@@.

Get back to me when you know what you're talking about, and since you never do, it will indeed be a pleasure never to hear from you again.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 537,241 - 537,260 of716,670
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

543 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 8 min RiccardoFire 93,229
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 9 min Oxbow 530,077
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 14 min An NFL Fan 114,645
Looking for Couples and lesbians to snapchat 15 min showurgoods 2
Being Gay is not wrong! (Mar '07) 24 min Doctor REALITY 154
I DON'T LIKE being black!! (Aug '12) 25 min tracye 15
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 26 min JudgeNJury 255,712
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 31 min Lab28 223,205
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 4 hr Strength and Honor 171,450
Sims 4 Key Generator (Oct '13) 12 hr Gabric 62
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••