|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
I teach my children that christians are immoral persons, who will lie and cheat them as soon as they discover that there is no shared (religious) belief.
I teach that religion has been the cause of most wars, that people use religion to justify violence against outsiders.
I let them make up their own minds what to belief with respect to superstition.
Did you even read what you wrote?!

You teach your kids:
Christians are immoral
And liars
And cheaters
Religions cause wars
And violence

...but you'll let them "decide" for themselves...

LMMFGDAOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

I feel bad for your kids, dude.

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>You know this because you took over the YD persona for the past 3 years.
That's truly pathetic that you waste so much time holding a long gone poster up for ridicule years after she's fled the scene.
she is an example of the harm of christian belief, I shall never forget her immorality.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You're wrong. I don't know if you're an atheist but you sure sound like one.
I've NEVER met a Christian that is a Chrisitian so that they don't burn in hell.
I've NEVER met a Christian that tries to put fear in their kids about burning in hell.
EVERY Christian I've ever known is a Christian for the thought of eternity & being reunited with lost loved ones.
yep, their morality is driven by the expectation of reward.

and substitutional atonement for their transgressions.

a foul and evil philosophy that engenders a hate cult.

“Truth is beyond wavelength ”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

timn17 wrote:
Well, the word god carries with it a certain implication. Singularity just means "event horizon," and doesn't really describe or imply anything about the beginning other than the fact that we don't know anything about it; the word god, on the other hand, implies a deity of some sort who caused the beginning. There's a difference.
and
Why is goddidit a better guess than unicorns? All things being equal, I would rather my god be a unicorn than a god.
I realize that you guys feel you have to be careful not to allow God into any part of reality but when we have absolutely no clue as to the possibility of a conscious state of being that is all-knowing (God), then God (a conscious state of being)*is* as good as any guess for 'the most fundamental reality' and it matters not whether the specifics of "God" are that it is a deity, pink with horns or whether it is just 'a most fundamental non-deital reality'.

Why is 'an all knowing consciousness' as good as any guess? Because there already exists a consciousness. That consciousness is us. So I don't see that you have any choice but to accept that. I'm not trying to claim I'm right, only that it's quite possible.

Believe me it drives me nuts when it rains during the week and the sun comes out on Sunday giving us a chance to get a job done but the person you want to help will not allow anyone to work on freekin Sundays because they think that God actually told someone that this is the way it should be.

Well God never told me anything (and I've been listening my whole life; I remain humble); I had to take everything from what I feel in my heart. And if you ask me, tigers don't take Sundays off of their livelihood (hunting). And what is closer to God than an animal? Darn biblethumpers should look to nature to see what God wants rather than tripping over eachother trying to interpret the freekin Bible. Damn Episcopaleans think that the Bible says it's ok to be homosexual in God's eyes. Mormons thing God says a man can have a thousand wives. Religion and it's interpretations are BS, I agree, but that shouldn't be a reason to discount what I said about the 'most fundamental reality' and the possiblity that it is an all knowing consciousness.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
It was your statement that I should teach my son theism and "Sunday school" that brought forward that comment.
my comment merely highlighted that your theism blinds you to the many other *brands* of theism out there, and that by you simply specifying "Sunday school", shows your inability to discuss this subject in an impartial way.
When you think of atheism, you think it applies to only your specific theistic belief.
You are wrong to assume that stance, and criticize me for not teaching only Abrahamic Christianity to my son, as the only option between theism and atheism.
As I've said before, if I were to teach my son a theistic belief, or choose to have a theistic belief myself, it wouldn't be the Abrahamic beliefs, there are many other deity beliefs that are better than Christianity I would choose first.
But, it would only be a belief based in the desire to do so, which I do not desire to do, since there is no proof of a deity.
It'd be like deciding to take up a belief that elves bake cookies in trees.
oh --- commmon

which trees?

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Curious.
What "better than Christianity" religion would you choose to teach your kids?(hypotheitcally speaking, of course).
I wouldn't teach my child a religious belief. I made that clear, earlier.

What I did say, is - "if I were" - to do that, and as you put it - "hypothetically speaking, of course" - that is a personal and private matter.

If I had a personal religious belief or deity belief I would not speak of it.

Don't you think that's how it should be?

“Today we pray”

Since: Jul 12

"tomorrow we win"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
she is an example of the harm of christian belief, I shall never forget her immorality.
Does it mean more 'cuz you said "shall"?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
"The clergy know that I know that they know that they do not know." — Robert Green Ingersoll, "Orthodoxy" (1884)
education,

the surest path, to unbelief

“Truth is beyond wavelength ”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

Hidingfromyou wrote:
Well, we know matter did not exist at t=0, since matter is a function of space/time. No time, no matter.
We know matter did not exist at t = 0? I thought we agreed that we knew NOTHING about t = 0? I mean as far as we can guess matter was "created" later, although a better way to put it would be it condensed from whatever plasmic reality preceded it, because as we also agreed, it doesn't make sense that something can form from nothing (creation). That's why any speculation or hypothesis as to some form of creation is, by definition, not an option.

Remember, just because we call it 't = 0', does not mean time was not somehow still a physical reality at t = 0. "t = 0" is just a reference to something that preceded our expansion. We have no idea whether we are part of something bigger…… which would, if true, then preserve the notion of time.
Right, though - Poly did say we can't do time 0. What about speculative models that have no time in them? Is that not possible?
Sure it’s possible to speculate. But without time we have nothing to go on, so again, what good is such a model? Would it even make sense? The wave function breaks down without time. I didn't google it before I posted this but I bet the model would be so simple as to possibly have no math in it at all; I bet it would just be a statement something like, "in this model there was no motion, only existence". What else could you say about it?

Matter fact that was one thing that poly would do. He’d say that there is no such thing as a reality without time. But he always forgets to add the all important phrase "according to a mathematical model". There is no such thing as a reality without time that can be described by a mathematical model.

Funny though that some math concepts don't really require time. 1 + 1 is still 2. That's true whether there is motion or not. Two things could exist without motion. We just don't know,....but they could. Funnier yet, it takes time to make that statement (that 1 + 1 = 2).

“Today we pray”

"tomorrow we win"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
yep, their morality is driven by the expectation of reward.
and substitutional atonement for their transgressions.
a foul and evil philosophy that engenders a hate cult.
If you would, karl. Indulge me. What do you think is so evil about being a Christian?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
R-E-S-P-E-C-T
Find out what that means to me
buddy, you are a religitard and a troll;

you have badly misspelled it.

“Today we pray”

"tomorrow we win"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

scaritual wrote:
<quoted text> I wouldn't teach my child a religious belief. I made that clear, earlier.
What I did say, is - "if I were" - to do that, and as you put it - "hypothetically speaking, of course" - that is a personal and private matter.
If I had a personal religious belief or deity belief I would not speak of it.
Don't you think that's how it should be?
OK. You've got a hidden religious feeling. Got it.

(maybe that's why you're here everyday, waiting for someone to link you to God's YouTube videos)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you think God exists?
shrug

first, which god?

second, define the attributes of that to which you refer.

how would anyone know what it is you imagine?

“Today we pray”

"tomorrow we win"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
education,
Newton would disagree.

So would Galileo....

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
So. There's also many Americans that don't believe in evolution, but it's still taught.
And don't give me no lip about one doesn't believe in evolution. Evolution was brought into schools & creation was booted out...
school is about facts

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
If 300 million people believed in vampires I might reconsider my beliefs. If vampires were on my money, or if vampire churches dominated the landscape, I might reconsider...
Wow.

Like, wow.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Curious.
What "better than Christianity" religion would you choose to teach your kids?(hypotheitcally speaking, of course).
almost any philosophy is superior to one of an abrahamic faith.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
What, is she 28 years old & the five Samoans are 3 years old?
You are sexist and chauvinistic as well, we already knew that.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
1. If 300 million people believed in vampires I might reconsider my beliefs. If vampires were on my money, or if vampire churches dominated the landscape, I might reconsider...
2. How is that relevant? People don't get fired for not being Christian. If they do, it's wrong and illegal.
3. Again, relevance? Are Christians imposing on your day-to-day life in some way?
Um, do your mommy and daddy know you're on the computer?

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
education,
Yes, and Ingersoll would agree:

"Who can overestimate the progress of the world if all the money wasted in superstition could be used to enlighten, elevate and civilize mankind?" — Robert Green Ingersoll, "Some Mistakes of Moses"

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 536,041 - 536,060 of679,723
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

563 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 2 min Dr Shrink 596,482
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 3 min Toby 89,489
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 4 min number four 216,632
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 min truth 511,916
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 6 min Zioni 109,496
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 8 min andet1987 3,314
Did GM REALLY pay back the loans ? (Jul '11) 11 min indy 26
Girls snapchat names?(dirty) 58 min Thatkiddodavid 225
•••
•••
•••