Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
the lack of empathy
Christians show plenty of empathy. We help people worldwide.
the lack of ethics
LMAO!!!! As opposed to atheist 'ethics'?!
the paranoia,[/QUOTE

What paranoia? I suffer no delusions.

[QUOTE] the xenophobia,
um.... Christianity is a worldwide religion. Why would I fear other countries?
the hate
What hate?
substitutional atonement ---

You damn right! "He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness,"
the obsessive need to spread the filth.
To what 'filth' are you speaking of?
you are no dummy
Unlike you.
that you ask brands you as a troll
So I see that you're absolutely clueless about Christians.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
if you cannot define the god you imagine, you are a coward
If you cannot use proper punctuation or grammar, you are an idiot.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>"Who kills in the name of Christianity?"
Look up Helen Ukpabio's Liberty Foundation Gospel Ministries and their connection to the murder and torture of (at least) thousands of children in Nigeria alone.
Here's a cute little video: http://www.youtube.com/watch...
lol

That's just some nutcase that believes in witches & wizards...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>I never pushed my daughter in any particular direction, either.
She was a Christian by default, under her mother's 'fluence. Then became a Wiccan Lite pagan (I was slightly relieved), and found her own way to atheism.
Bless her.
awwww She went from one religion to another, then found yours.

How sweet.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think our religions (or lack thereof) makes us who we are. There are good people and bad people. Just like you would get good Christians, you will get good atheists, Muslims and Jews. But, you will het the bad apples too. You will get your Hitlers, Stalins and Hirohitos. You will get your Breviks, Dahmers and Bin Ladens.
I believe that I had good, attentive parents. My dad would take days leave (some of it sick leave) on days where me and my sister had a major sporting event on. My mother always got up early to pack our lunches and always baked a cake on our birthdays (trust me, she CAN bake. If ever in South Africa, you need to visit the restuarant). Had they been Muslim, Jewish or Pagan, I believe they would have been exactly the same people
Redneck agrees with Double. Religious or not - some people are good, some are bad.

Thanks for the invite, but it's highly unlikely that I'll ever go to S Africa.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean currently?
Zealots. Fundies.
Do you mean killing literally, or "killing", as in telling good jokes?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I'm pretty amazed that Christian theists find a parent to be "indoctrinating" a child, by not teaching them about Christianity.
It's the absolute height of arrogance, poor logic and reasoning skills, to take such a position about what I choose to teach, or to not teach my son, and I'm indoctrinating my son because...

I didn't indoctrinate him into Christianity.
Good job!

<<CLAPS HANDS>>

You're learning!

A person can be indoctrinated into many beliefs, atheism is just one of many...

Since: Apr 09

Elmont, Long Island NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
If you cannot use proper punctuation or grammar, you are an idiot.
you got me, what is wrong with the sentence below?

"If you cannot define the god you imagine, you are a coward."

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
They all make the same exact claims, all of them, and they all have just as much evidence as your religion, some even have more. Cthulhu has more scientific and solid evidence supporting him.
You assume I have not "looked at" religions, I assume you mean investigate the evidence of them? You are completely mistaken, and so ironically wrong it's sad. Religion, all of it, is a con job.
You're very odd. Cthulhu?

"Cthulhu is a fictional cosmic entity who first appeared in the short story "The Call of Cthulhu", published in the pulp magazine Weird Tales in 1928. The character was created by writer H. P. Lovecraft."

wiki
endtime

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

PROOF Obama's ReElection = ANTICHRIST_______

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

TJ Monk wrote:
<quoted text>
Trust my words...Religion as a group will fall at the same time.....Gods Word Phrophesies this.
Actually, I don't believe there is such a thing as "God's word" so any prophesies from that mean absolutely nothing to me. My concerns are that we have to change our ways of doing things worldwide because we have the capability of virtually wiping out the whole population with some of the technology available to us.

Also with now instant international communication, we are no longer scattered little communities who seldom, if ever see or hear of the others, but one large world community, and we have to treat everyone the same as we would the friend next door.

Since God's word that you referred to is from one or two of the religions that you say will disappear, then that doesn't give much value to that God, does it.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

It aint necessarily so wrote:
"The first three verses of Genesis accurately express all known aspects of the creation (Genesis 1:1-3). Science expresses the universe in terms of: time, space, matter, and energy. In Genesis chapter one we read:“In the beginning (time) God created the heavens (space) and the earth (matter)…Then God said,“Let there be light (energy).” No other creation account agrees with the observable evidence."

The Babylonians nailed that one, too: "The mighty Marduk took his club and split Tiamat’s body in half. He placed half of her body in the sky and made the heavens [space]. He created the moon to guard the heavens, and set it moving back and forth, on endless [time] patrol [energy]. With the other half of Tiamat's body he made the land [matter].”
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Nice copy/paste.
Nice copy/paste? Was that a slam? How could it be any other way, given what the post was? The first paragraph above is claim 16 from Truth Signed In's link at http://www.eternal-productions.org/101science... . Of course I copied and pasted it. I was critiquing it.

The second paragraph is a piece of Babylonian mythology. I didn't write that either, although I did annotate it with scientific words in brackets in conscious imitation of the Christian apologetics, and selected it for that purpose. I could have done Odin or any other creator god just as easily:

"Odin, Vili, and Vé killed the giant Ymir. The sons of Bor then ... made the world [matter] from him. From his blood they made the sea and the lakes; from his flesh the earth; from his hair the trees; and from his bones the mountains. They made rocks and pebbles from his teeth and jaws and those bones that were broken. Maggots appeared in Ymir's flesh and came to life. By the decree of the gods they acquired human understanding and the appearance of men, although they lived in the earth and in rocks. From Ymir's skull the sons of Bor made the sky [space]... The sons of Bor flung Ymir's brains into the air, and they became the clouds. Then they took the sparks and burning embers that were flying about after [time] they had been blown out of Muspell, and placed them in the midst of Ginnungagap to give light to heaven above and earth beneath [energy]. To the stars they gave appointed places and paths."

I also didn't write that apart from the annotations in brackets.

Obviously, it was essential that I use the words of others, since I was comparing creation myths from history. Do you have any idea what the point of the post was? You don’t seem to.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
The "afterlife" is of no concern to me.
We have our family reunions now.
that's really sad:(
how much time left about; 50 years if all goes well?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
But your author is wrong. Time, space, matter & energy....
Of course the author is wrong. It's mythology.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Time, space, matter & energy....
You forgot the verb. And the thought.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Why do you classify the heavens as "space"?
Good luck!
Seriously? Good luck is right. In the first myth, the apologist is the one who defined the heavens as space. In the second, I did, in conscious imitation of the first. And in the last, the word used was "sky"

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
That may be why you're not very popular with the ladies.
Pshhh

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

<quoted text>
Of course. There was no way to deny me it.
But I wasn't raised in religion and didn't go to Sunday school, because my parents were both atheists. I didn't become religious until about age 19 or 20. I learned the bible through independent study, sermons, and guided study at a level that wouldn't be called Sunday school.
I remember courses I paid to take mentored by the assistant pastor at his outreach facility called The Fisherman's Net, where we took courses of a few weeks duration each with individual hard cover books of a few hundred pages each with names like "Hebrews" and "Acts."
I have always been good with books, and I treated the bible just like I did my Lehninger's Principles of Biochemistry (my undergraduate major) and my Harrison's Internal Medicine (my medical specialty). They were all bibles of a sort, and I learned them all cold. I can still diagram the Krebs cycle and the clotting cascade. And I know the bible.
So, no. I eventually taught Sunday school, but never attended. And yes,I had the option to believe or disbelieve. I chose each at various stages in my life.
I see. You've got yourself vey convinced of your own intelligence.

Learning about being Christian and knowing what it's like to be Christian are totally different things. I think that you possibly never truly found Jesus. Maybe that's why you dropped religion.

But then why turn it into a personal vendetta to "rid the world" of religion? Oh, excuse me, not "religion", just Christianity.

Do you have a vendetta aganist Christianity itslef or is it Christians that you hate?

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Aura Mytha wrote:
i don't do youtube in a debate. if ya got nothin, just say so.....

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry. I didn't take it as a joke.
Of course I've told my kids about hell. But I don't threaten them with it so they're scared into being Christian.
Hell is a threat. How is it not? "Hey, btw, if you don't believe what I do, you burn for eternity."

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
But you made sure to capitalize yourself 3 times...
I always capitalize I. Again, if it really offends you that much, go search through my posts, and you will see that I usually don't capitalize nouns. If I didn't capitalize I, it would be distracting.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

<quoted text>
I can't stop my kids from believing what they find believable. From "Imagine a Christianity Without Indoctrination" at http://www.patheos.com/blogs/crossexamined/20...
"Suppose we re-categorized Christianity as an adult activity. It would be like smoking, alcohol, voting, driving, sex, marriage, and (in some states) pot—things that you must be mature enough to handle wisely. How long would this adults-only Christianity survive? My guess is that, starved of its primary source of new members, it would die out within a few generations.
We all have inside us what could be called a BS Detector—that common sense that helps us believe as many true things and reject as many false things as possible ... As adults, we’re far better at sifting truth from BS than we were as children. And that’s why Christians must be indoctrinated as children, before their BS Detectors are mature.
"Getting a 50-year-old who’s never smoked hooked on cigarettes is like getting a 50-year-old who’s never heard of Jesus hooked on Christianity. It’s possible in both cases, but it’s far easier when you make the appeal early in life.
"Imagine this conversation between the father of a 6-year-old child and the grandmother.
Grandma:“Little Johnny is old enough for me to take to Sunday School now.”
Dad:“You can take him when he’s 18, but I’d prefer he stay out of church until then.”
Grandma:“But 18 is too late! By then he’ll be set in his ways. He won’t accept the truth then.”
"What kind of “truth” is it that must be taught before people are mature?...[w]hat does this say about the evidence behind the Christian claim that God exists?"
That's a terrible analogy...

If that were so, then adults would still believe in Santa.

How many kids truly believe in Santa? The Easter Bunny? Casper? Etc. How many adults cling on to those childhood beliefs?

I think you've inserted your personal experience into the realm of religion and assume that it must be that way for everyone.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 535,941 - 535,960 of717,064
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

450 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 min June VanDerMark 530,307
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 5 min UidiotRaceMAkeWorldpeace 171,514
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 12 min ChromiuMan 5,180
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 14 min WasteWater 255,753
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 16 min TheBlackSheep 223,279
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 42 min Hidingfromyou 93,245
Best smooth chamber jazz in the world 57 min Senecus 5
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 2 hr Aura Mytha 598,799
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••