Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#564142 Nov 19, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Why? America is 75% Christian so why not teach the Christian version of creation 75% of the time & teach "all" (lol) the others the remaining 25%?
Why not? Because people like you can't fathom the possibility of God.
Public schools exist to provide students with an education.

If parents wants the school to inculcate religious beliefs, they should send their kids to a private school.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#564143 Nov 19, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Well wouldn't an atheist parent teach their kids that hell is a mythical place and there's nothing to fear or worry about?
The atheist parent would teach their kids that the Sunday school teacher is a "creatard" and "prove" them wrong. In essence, indoctrinating the kids into atheism. Just as scar has done.
When it comes to hell, if it is even mentioned to children, yes, it should be called the mythical place that it is. It is abusive to tell young children that if they don't believe exactly as you do that they will be tortured forever.

You're making assumptions again with the sunday school nonsense.

Location hidden

#564144 Nov 19, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
If you're willing to consider anything (as an atheist), then consider that God IS real. Consider the possibility that He is beyond current scientific understanding & scrutiny.
Maybe he is. That doesn't mean I have to believe in him. So far, there is not one shred of evidence whatsoever. And either way, I don't think that a just god would punish me for using the brain he gave me, and if he would, he's not a god I want to worship.

Location hidden

#564145 Nov 19, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I haven't indoctrinated my kids into anything. I don't force them to pray, I don't force them to church, I don't give them into anything. In fact, my oldest son is 16, he's starting to believe like you guys do, that God might be made up. That's his choice to make, not mine.
You've got me all wrong.
Make sure to remind him daily that you will point and laugh at him from heaven while he is burning in the lake of fire.

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#564146 Nov 19, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe if the nipple is bitten...
:)
That would cause a total body contraction followed by early weaning.
q:

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#564147 Nov 19, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I haven't indoctrinated my kids into anything. I don't force them to pray, I don't force them to church, I don't give them into anything. In fact, my oldest son is 16, he's starting to believe like you guys do, that God might be made up. That's his choice to make, not mine.
You've got me all wrong.
I never pointed at you concerning your children and what you teach them, did I?

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#564148 Nov 19, 2012
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
The absence of theistic belief is not a belief.
<ugh>

Either you KNOW God does't exist or you BELIEVE it.....

Since I know that you don't know, then it's your belief.

Location hidden

#564149 Nov 19, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>That would cause a total body contraction followed by early weaning.
q:
I don't think jesus would be happy with you spouting this filth on a public forum. Repent, demon!

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#564150 Nov 19, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, people do get brainwashed. Religious belief is *extremely* hard to break free from after one has been sufficiently "indoctrinated." Any belief, for that matter, is hard to break free from once it has taken hold. The human mind is hardwired to latch onto beliefs, to seek out supporting information and to ignore contradictory information. This is why diehard creationists can look at the overwhemling evidence for evolution and not bat an eyelash - it might as well not exist for them. That's why I eschew the idea of belief altogether, I think it's better to have a framework with which to view the world and wherein different ideas can come and go without all the baggage of belief.
Do you believe what I'm telling you, or do I need to round up some citations?
Citations are not needed. You're right about the power of indoctrination.

But I'm right in that atheists indoctrinate, too.

Location hidden

#564151 Nov 19, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Public schools exist to provide students with an education.
If parents wants the school to inculcate religious beliefs, they should send their kids to a private school.
RR thinks what we teach our kids is a popularity contest, a la american idol.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#564152 Nov 19, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>You're cuckoo. The absence of religious indoctrination is not the presence of "atheistic indoctrination." Let's flip it around, since I doubt you will understand what I just said: if I didn't teach my son to be an atheist, would that be the same as teaching him to be a theist?
I guess not, no. But not teaching kids about God (or any gods) is akin to atheism.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#564153 Nov 19, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Make sure to remind him daily that you will point and laugh at him from heaven while he is burning in the lake of fire.
F_ck you. I've never said anything like that to ANYONE. Why would I say that to my son?

F_cktard

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#564154 Nov 19, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I don't think jesus would be happy with you spouting this filth on a public forum. Repent, demon!
BY typing "jesus", I assume you mean some gardener...

Suely you meant "Jesus"....

Location hidden

#564155 Nov 19, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't catch that.
<quoted text>
Irrelevant. The message and its source need rebuking. It doesn't matter who that is.
<quoted text>
I agree. That was unexpected.
Liar. You guys private message and email each other every day. I know they spread the word to you.

I know you saw the link they gave showing her personal information and the posts of your buddies bragging about cruising cemeteries looking for her family plot. You've read this thread, religiously, and far longer than I have. Stop feigning innocence.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#564156 Nov 19, 2012
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
I never pointed at you concerning your children and what you teach them, did I?
Not directly, but this sentence implies it.

"Tell me, did you teach your children to be worshipers of Quetzalcoatl, then show them that there are alternatives at a later point? "

Location hidden

#564157 Nov 19, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Citations are not needed. You're right about the power of indoctrination.
But I'm right in that atheists indoctrinate, too.
Maybe some do. I very seriously doubt that many do, and certainly not to the extent that occurs in religious families. An overbearing atheist parent might tell their kids that religion is stupid, a christian parent will tell their kid eternal torture awaits disbelievers. The social situation is much different too - the penalty for disbelief within a christian circle is *much* higher than the penalty for belief within a "hardcore" atheist circle. At worst, your "hardcore" atheist buddies might think you're a little gullible - but christians who leave their faith behind risk ruining their life. Their friends, wife, support system, etc could disappear overnight.

Location hidden

#564158 Nov 19, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
F_ck you. I've never said anything like that to ANYONE. Why would I say that to my son?
F_cktard
It was a joke. Calm down. Anyways, you never taught your kids about hell?

Location hidden

#564159 Nov 19, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
That's pretty funny. The Internet is an amazing phenomenon.
I play with LT all the time. It's not funny the way YOU suggest it is.

If it bothered me that anyone saw it, I wouldn't do it.

Jackass.

Location hidden

#564160 Nov 19, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess not, no. But not teaching kids about God (or any gods) is akin to atheism.
So? They can make up their own mind. Atheism is our default position.

Location hidden

#564161 Nov 19, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
BY typing "jesus", I assume you mean some gardener...
Suely you meant "Jesus"....
Eh. Who cares if I don't capitalize his name? I don't capitalize a lot of proper nouns when I type.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 6 min Neville Thompson 269,040
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 7 min RiccardoFire 39,664
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 10 min lightbeamrider 97,909
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 24 min AN NFL FAN 121,339
If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 34 min JesusIsResurrection 967
angka toto malaysia di jamin tembus (Aug '14) 40 min hermawan 6
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 48 min truth 608,271
Dubai massage Body To Body full service 0559... (Mar '14) 50 min perfect massage r... 206
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 hr truth 574,347
Sleeping with mother (Oct '13) 11 hr Jon 19
More from around the web