Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#564236 Nov 19, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
What a lazy reply.
I expect better from...
Scratch that.
Hey, I didn't ask ya for a huge response, you did that on your own. But here's one sentence:

"You having beliefs is enough of an influence to have a strong effect on your children. "

Just like an atheist has influence on their kids....

Since: Jan 11

Waco, KY

#564237 Nov 19, 2012
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. nice post, Tide. And, children have side influences. My parents and grandparents are both Christian and I can't stop them from insisting on grace at every meal and explaining the meaning of prayer ..
.. nor can parents stop their children from hearing about God from religious playmates. Then, the questions start ..
Children are like sponges. They take in everything. I'm grossly simplifying because of the myriad influences a child is subject to. I think parental influence, in the majority of cases, is the strongest. Some factors skew that, like age. Puberty hits and peer pressure can take over.

I think we would be responsible to teach children to be skeptical or tenuous of everything until such time as they are intellectually independent and capable of critical evaluation. Give them the tools.

Waco, KY

#564238 Nov 19, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
If you really, TRULY believe that there is no God, are no gods or have a complete lack of belief in gods, the why do you spend so much time debating it?
I don't get it. Example: I don't believe I vampires. None whatsoever. I wouldn't waste 5 minutes of my life debating people about my lack of belief In vampires.
Why do you?
How many million vampire believers living in your country would it take for you to get interested?

If you worked for someone who believed in vampires, and you knew that telling them that you didn't would get you fired, would that not give you some reason to speak out against the irrational unsupported belief in vampires on an anonymous forum?

Take that a step further. If vampire believers were trying to force their beliefs into public policy in numerous ways that had a profound impact on your quality of life, what would you do? Nothing?

Waco, KY

#564239 Nov 19, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You have to ask?
When I post about God, don't waste time asking me which god? We've been bickering for months now, you know that I'm referring to God. For you, the Abrahamic God, YWHW, Lord Almighty... Got it?
I never didn't get it.

What are you saying about the "presence of God" in American schools? I thought you might have had a point you were trying to make, but you didn't quite get there. I don't want to jump the gun. If you have a point, make it explicitly and commit. Otherwise, I'll just have to dismiss your rant as an emotional outburst.

Waco, KY

#564240 Nov 19, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, I didn't ask ya for a huge response, you did that on your own. But here's one sentence:
"You having beliefs is enough of an influence to have a strong effect on your children. "
Just like an atheist has influence on their kids....
Influencing a child to continue to lack beliefs as they always have, by doing absolutely nothing, is not the same as introducing new ideas through positive actions.

Do you recognize that there is a difference?

How can I get you to answer my questions?

Additional question marks perhaps?????

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#564241 Nov 19, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
In other words, you don't believe there's a god...
I don't have the theistic belief that there is a deity, or that there are deities.

Adjective: theistic
1. Of or relating to theism

Noun: theism
1. The doctrine or belief in the existence of a God or gods

Adjective: theist

Noun: theist
1. One who believes in the existence of a god or gods

WordWeb Pro 6.0

I am not theist.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#564242 Nov 19, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You're kidding, right?
When Hod was removed for schools, morality went with Him. Why do you think kids are much worse today than they were 50 years ago?
Kids used to be kind to old folks, now they laugh at them and are crude to them.
Kids used to have manners, now they're just flat out a$$holes.
Boys used to marry girls THEN have a family & stuck together for life. Now they just screw whoever is near & forget any consequences.
Kids used to move out of their parents house after high school. Now they stay as long as they can. The parents can even keep them insured.
A lot has changed in 50 years, I believe that the first wrong step America took was taking God out of schools.
Do not speak badly of Hod.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#564243 Nov 19, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
How many million vampire believers living in your country would it take for you to get interested?
If you worked for someone who believed in vampires, and you knew that telling them that you didn't would get you fired, would that not give you some reason to speak out against the irrational unsupported belief in vampires on an anonymous forum?
Take that a step further. If vampire believers were trying to force their beliefs into public policy in numerous ways that had a profound impact on your quality of life, what would you do? Nothing?
1. If 300 million people believed in vampires I might reconsider my beliefs. If vampires were on my money, or if vampire churches dominated the landscape, I might reconsider...

2. How is that relevant? People don't get fired for not being Christian. If they do, it's wrong and illegal.

3. Again, relevance? Are Christians imposing on your day-to-day life in some way?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#564244 Nov 19, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I never didn't get it.
What are you saying about the "presence of God" in American schools? I thought you might have had a point you were trying to make, but you didn't quite get there. I don't want to jump the gun. If you have a point, make it explicitly and commit. Otherwise, I'll just have to dismiss your rant as an emotional outburst.
If you "never didn't get it", then why ask? Aubrey because you didn't get it....

See my reply to ol' booootsie about schools.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#564245 Nov 19, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Influencing a child to continue to lack beliefs as they always have, by doing absolutely nothing, is not the same as introducing new ideas through positive actions.
Do you recognize that there is a difference?
How can I get you to answer my questions?
Additional question marks perhaps?????
1. I see your point. That people are not and can not be born with any kind of belief. That its all taught & handed down. Right?

2. I do recognize.

3. All you gotta do is ask.

4. Prolly a few more ????????'s would help :)

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#564246 Nov 19, 2012
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't have the theistic belief that there is a deity, or that there are deities.
Adjective: theistic
Noun: theism
1. The doctrine or belief in the existence of a God or gods
Adjective: theist
WordWeb Pro 6.0
I am not theist.
Holy Geesh, scar!!

You are not a theist.

Therefore you don't believe in the existence of a god or gods.

You said "I'm not a theist."

A theist believes....

An atheist (or non-theist) doesn't believe..........

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#564248 Nov 19, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You spend a lot of time attempting to disprove that which you say you don't believe in....
One wonders if you've compiled the same "proof" that there are no werewolves....
why?

they are far more likely to be real than gods

Waco, KY

#564249 Nov 19, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
1. If 300 million people believed in vampires I might reconsider my beliefs. If vampires were on my money, or if vampire churches dominated the landscape, I might reconsider...
When you say "reconsider my beliefs", what do you mean by that? Do you mean that you would take into account the popularity of the belief, as evidence to it's authenticity? Let's make it 500 million. Wait, 1 billion! Are you a believer in vampires at 1 billion? Did I overshoot? Was 999,999,999 the magic number? Aw shucks. Now I scared you into Canada.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
2. How is that relevant? People don't get fired for not being Christian. If they do, it's wrong and illegal.
In the contracting world, you could be passed over for hiring on new jobs if someone found out you were an atheist. That's like being fired. It could just cause an employer to be rude to you, or find ways to make you miserable. These things happen in actual America right now. In Vampire America, it would be worse. There would be blood spilled.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
3. Again, relevance? Are Christians imposing on your day-to-day life in some way?
Yes.

Waco, KY

#564250 Nov 19, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
If you "never didn't get it", then why ask? Aubrey because you didn't get it....
See my reply to ol' booootsie about schools.
Only my closest and dearest friends may call me Aubrey.

Waco, KY

#564251 Nov 19, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
1. I see your point. That people are not and can not be born with any kind of belief. That its all taught & handed down. Right?
2. I do recognize.
3. All you gotta do is ask.
4. Prolly a few more ????????'s would help :)
If anyone ever accuses you of being Buck Crick, I'll link to this post.

That is a compliment.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#564252 Nov 19, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
When you say "reconsider my beliefs", what do you mean by that? Do you mean that you would take into account the popularity of the belief, as evidence to it's authenticity? Let's make it 500 million. Wait, 1 billion! Are you a believer in vampires at 1 billion? Did I overshoot? Was 999,999,999 the magic number? Aw shucks. Now I scared you into Canada.
Did you ask a question there?
In the contracting world, you could be passed over for hiring on new jobs if someone found out you were an atheist. That's like being fired. It could just cause an employer to be rude to you, or find ways to make you miserable. These things happen in actual America right now. In Vampire America, it would be worse. There would be blood spilled.
What?!?
I mean, what??????????
Yes.
In what way?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#564253 Nov 19, 2012
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
why?
they are far more likely to be real than gods
Then why are you here and not on some werewolf thread?

Indeed.....

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#564254 Nov 19, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Only my closest and dearest friends may call me Aubrey.
Damn auto correct. I didn't catch that. I meant to write "prolly"...

Nice to meet you Aubrey. Have you met boooots?

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#564255 Nov 19, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Didn't you go to Sunday School? Weren't you given the option of believing in God or not?
All I'm saying is that I think most athitards won't even give their kids a choice whether or not to believe.....
I introduced my children to Buddhism, the beliefs of (some) north American indigenous peoples, atheism (of course) and I took them to religious (christian) services and explained some of the philosophy; I did explain that my personal choice is to rational skepticism and the scientific method of understanding.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#564256 Nov 19, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
If anyone ever accuses you of being Buck Crick, I'll link to this post.
That is a compliment.
Uh... Is that a Dave Nelson?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 1 min It aint necessari... 37,878
ye olde village pub (Jun '07) 20 min Ruby88 53,751
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 26 min truth 641,265
my name is lorna and morrcan cock is biggest 33 min Thinking 2
Why Australians should fear Muslims? (Feb '15) 40 min Truthiness 11
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 40 min Steve III 44,310
Playboy (Feb '15) 3 hr ssewda34 13
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 4 hr Steve III 618,360
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 7 hr Anna 104,617
More from around the web