Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#563565 Nov 16, 2012
&fe ature=related

Look at this little liar. I despise his parents for (most likely) force feeding this story to him, or at least indoctrinating him so hard that he considers it acceptable to lie about this nonsense. On a positive note, his parents are monetizing a spiritual experience resulting from the near death of their child. I wonder if when the child awoke his parents started telling him that he almost went to heaven but god decided to send him back.

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

#563566 Nov 16, 2012
Truth signed in wrote:
<quoted text>
Your answer has a condition.
That's the point I'm trying to make...Can we, without the help of a higher being...love unconditionally? This excludes our children....or any type of storge love.
I think there are always conditions/requirements for love. Love of a child is conditional on them being your child, or you raising them as your child, or you thinking of them as one of your own even if they're not. Love is meaningful because of the conditions/requirements. It's also not a binary phenomenon. The strength of emotional attachments vary based on conditions/requirements and other factors.

We can have a basic love for all people, the only condition being their humanity. I wouldn't pose my position that way, but that's basically how I feel. How I feel about individuals depends on each circumstance, so I can only be specific.

“I speak my mind”

Since: Sep 10

It hurts to bite my tongue

#563567 Nov 16, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
They won't get any extra love or compassion for killing my dog.
We should just raise our base level compassion for all humanity so that we don't treat the people that harm us as inhuman.
Ah..but can you do that? I mean, certainly you could not treat them inhuman...that's the easy part. We learn from early in life that we can't act on every angry or hurtful thought. If we did...we'd live in utter chaos. It's raising that base level of compassion for all humanity that's the hard part.

“It's all about the struggle”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#563568 Nov 16, 2012
Truth signed in wrote:
... Having that kind of love for someone, other than your kid...that's the kind that requires God.
Not necessarily.

“I speak my mind”

#563569 Nov 16, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
It requires no gods. It requires a split second decision to do the calculations. The speed of the train (or whatever projectile), the chance of you making it without both of you being hit and the mood you're in at the time. Sometimes it's just futile to try.
I think you're missing my point. It's not really about the act of saving someone. You're correct in what you said as to whether or not one would or could based on the circumstance...certainly, no God is required. Many heroic men and woman have died to save others...and I'm sure they didn't all believe in God. My question is, do you think it would be possible for you to love mankind in general, unconditionally...so much that you'd be willing to give your life to save another...even one who had wronged you in some way.

“I speak my mind”

#563570 Nov 16, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I was like, "I'll get the next one, promise."
Lol!

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#563571 Nov 16, 2012
Truth signed in wrote:
<quoted text>
Your answer has a condition.
That's the point I'm trying to make...Can we, without the help of a higher being...love unconditionally? This excludes our children....or any type of storge love.
Your scenario had a condition. He drove away.

I don't hold any hard feelings toward the man who crushed my leg. I can't say that I love him but I know he didn't mean to do it and I hugged him when he came to see me. That's not love though. That's understanding.

Embrace the grey.

#563573 Nov 16, 2012
Truth signed in wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah..but can you do that? I mean, certainly you could not treat them inhuman...that's the easy part. We learn from early in life that we can't act on every angry or hurtful thought. If we did...we'd live in utter chaos. It's raising that base level of compassion for all humanity that's the hard part.
I've been raising my level of "humanism" steadily for a long time now. It's not that hard at all, but it is a natural progression that stems from learning. I wouldn't know how to rush it.

I could let you in on the "hard part", but I should warn you, it's an anti-theistic rant.

Long Beach, CA

#563574 Nov 16, 2012
Truth signed in wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you're missing my point. It's not really about the act of saving someone. You're correct in what you said as to whether or not one would or could based on the circumstance...certainly, no God is required. Many heroic men and woman have died to save others...and I'm sure they didn't all believe in God. My question is, do you think it would be possible for you to love mankind in general, unconditionally...so much that you'd be willing to give your life to save another...even one who had wronged you in some way.
The answer is no.

And I'm very comfortable with that.

“I speak my mind”

#563575 Nov 16, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Not necessarily.
Think on that real hard. How many people do you personally know who love the general,population selflessly and unconditionally?

Long Beach, CA

#563576 Nov 16, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't hold any hard feelings toward the man who crushed my leg. I can't say that I love him but I know he didn't mean to do it and I hugged him when he came to see me. That's not love though. That's understanding.
And it's also empathy.

Empathy is a two-way street.

Embrace the grey.

#563577 Nov 16, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#563578 Nov 16, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Sure, we can agree to disagree, but this is a matter of fact, not a matter of opinion.
As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion,—as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen [Muslims],—and as the said States never entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mahometan [Muslim] nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.
Yes, some of the founders were christians, but many were not, but either way all of them had the good sense to know that government and religion don't mix. Interpret the establishment clause any way you like - but it clearly states that the government shouldn't meddle with, promote, or otherwise associate itself with religion.
I agree with you on the fact that it wasn't founded on a "Christian" God or "Catholic" God. And I said the same thing you said about not allowing the government to meddle with religion in my prior post. I was speaking of how the U.S. was founded under God in general. However, ask yourself this: What other religion worships God? I do know that Allah is Arabic for God and that many scholars believe that Allah in the Koran is the same God mentioned in the Torah and in the Bible. They didn't say "One nation under Allah" or "One nation under Buddha" or "One nation under Jahovah" or even "One nation under A God"...they said "One nation under God". Since Islamic people speak English and still reference their god as Allah then what "God" were the forefathers referencing? Maybe the God of each of our understanding? I don't know. I wasn't alive in 1787.

Long Beach, CA

#563579 Nov 16, 2012
Truth signed in wrote:
<quoted text>
Think on that real hard. How many people do you personally know who love the general,population selflessly and unconditionally?
Nobody does this.

You'd have to be an idiot.

Or looney tunes.

“I speak my mind”

#563580 Nov 16, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
True, the scenario had a condition...but the scenario isn't what I'm questioning. It's your feelings toward the man regardless of the condition. I'm just asking, do you think it's possible to love unconditionally?

There's a difference in not holding contempt for others based on the circumstance and actually having enough love and compassion for the general population that you wouldn't hold contempt, regardless of the situation. Does that make sense?

Embrace the grey.

#563581 Nov 16, 2012
Truth signed in wrote:
<quoted text>
It really should depend on the individual circumstances, not a predetermined rule. We should never stop thinking.

I'd probably save River no matter what. She's quick though. She might save me instead. It would depend on the circumstances.

“I speak my mind”

#563582 Nov 16, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I've been raising my level of "humanism" steadily for a long time now. It's not that hard at all, but it is a natural progression that stems from learning. I wouldn't know how to rush it.
I could let you in on the "hard part", but I should warn you, it's an anti-theistic rant.
<covers eyes>. No anti-theistic a rants....pleeeease!

:)

Long Beach, CA

#563583 Nov 16, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
It really should depend on the individual circumstances, not a predetermined rule. We should never stop thinking.
I'd probably save River no matter what. She's quick though. She might save me instead. It would depend on the circumstances.
:)

Embrace the grey.

#563584 Nov 16, 2012
Coffee Freak wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you on the fact that it wasn't founded on a "Christian" God or "Catholic" God. And I said the same thing you said about not allowing the government to meddle with religion in my prior post. I was speaking of how the U.S. was founded under God in general. However, ask yourself this: What other religion worships God? I do know that Allah is Arabic for God and that many scholars believe that Allah in the Koran is the same God mentioned in the Torah and in the Bible. They didn't say "One nation under Allah" or "One nation under Buddha" or "One nation under Jahovah" or even "One nation under A God"...they said "One nation under God". Since Islamic people speak English and still reference their god as Allah then what "God" were the forefathers referencing? Maybe the God of each of our understanding? I don't know. I wasn't alive in 1787.
It was a typo, and they ran with it.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#563585 Nov 16, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
It was a typo, and they ran with it.
You mean like this?

http://www.examiner.com/article/all-50-states...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 6 min hojo 551,005
Why do white men marry Chinese women? (Jul '08) 11 min Terrence 783
why are most gay white and latino men bias agai... (Aug '13) 49 min David 15
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 57 min Epiphany2 602,858
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr bacon hater 96,465
Hot gays in Abu Dhabi (Nov '13) 1 hr i want it 1,100
American Crew Fiber Pliable Molding Cream Hair ... 1 hr Amimar 1
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 3 hr AussieBobby 262,098
Does anyone do incest sex with your sister (Apr '12) 7 hr Little Voice 174

Top Stories People Search