OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

Since: Apr 12

Orlando but NYC born & raised

#563470 Nov 16, 2012
Truth signed in wrote:
<quoted text>
Well do tell your secret! My mind, heart, and spirit are like 21....but training my body to keep pace is quite the challenge. Looking the part...I'm holding my own....feeling the part...different story!
Not sure it's a secret or how much my "training" my body has to do with it- I do eat right most of the time and I do a lot of power walking, but I have to give credit to genetics:

My mother's mother at 72 years old was passing herself off as 58 in order to get jobs and my mother- up until she became very sick with cancer- always looked a good 20 years younger than she was.

But I do find it harder to get up off the ground when I am gardening- and the reason I sit on the ground to begin with is because my back can't take bending as well as it used to, so at 58, I am feeling the effects of physical aging, but I can deal with that since my very youthful mind, heart and spirit really offsets it a lot!

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#563471 Nov 16, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Another Shaw Story:
Shaw to Winston Churchill: "I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a friend--if you have one."
Churchill's response: "Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second--if there is one."
OMG- ROFLMAO!!

I'm sure you've heard this one about Churchill:

Not sure who the woman was, but she said to Churchill: If you were my husband, I'd poison your tea, to which he replied: If you were my wife I'd drink it!

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#563472 Nov 16, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Did he not also blame the Katrina catastrophe in New Orleans on the libertine attitudes of that city?
Yep.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#563473 Nov 16, 2012
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. is creativity empathy in action ??..
Creativity is a process, while empathy is the capacity to experience the feelings of others.

So, empathy can be a useful component of the creative process, but it's separate and distinct.

As Dave would say, or something like that.

Where have you put Dave, by the way?

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#563474 Nov 16, 2012
Truth signed in wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know...as much as I enjoy having all the knowledge I've gained...I could do without some of it!:)
I'd probably take 19 and naive again...<reminisces>...y eah...scratch that "probably"
Try not to underestimate me. That usually turns out badly.

:-)

San Francisco, CA

#563475 Nov 16, 2012
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>OMG- ROFLMAO!!
I'm sure you've heard this one about Churchill:
Not sure who the woman was, but she said to Churchill: If you were my husband, I'd poison your tea, to which he replied: If you were my wife I'd drink it!
Faulkner, about Hemingway: "He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the dictionary."

Hemingway, about Faulkner: "Poor Faulkner. Does he really think big emotions come from big words?"

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#563476 Nov 16, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Faulkner, about Hemingway: "He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the dictionary."
Hemingway, about Faulkner: "Poor Faulkner. Does he really think big emotions come from big words?"
Wow- such infighting among two of the greatest authors of all time!

San Francisco, CA

#563477 Nov 16, 2012
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>Wow- such infighting among two of the greatest authors of all time!
Member of Parliament, to Disraeli: "Sir, you will either die on the gallows or of some uspeakable disease."

Disraeli: "That depends, sir, on whether I embrace your policies or your mistress."

“I speak my mind”

It hurts to bite my tongue

#563478 Nov 16, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, for one's child.
Definitely, but what about for our enemies? Or perhaps those who are not necessarily our enemies, but of no relation or aquaintance to us?

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#563479 Nov 16, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Member of Parliament, to Disraeli: "Sir, you will either die on the gallows or of some uspeakable disease."
Disraeli: "That depends, sir, on whether I embrace your policies or your mistress."
Wow- such wit- too funny!

“I speak my mind”

#563480 Nov 16, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
oh I wasn't pointing that toward you...just saying I'd like to be your age again! sorry...should have clarified!

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#563481 Nov 16, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Sure, we can agree to disagree, but this is a matter of fact, not a matter of opinion.
As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion,as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen [Muslims],and as the said States never entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mahometan [Muslim] nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.
Yes, some of the founders were christians, but many were not, but either way all of them had the good sense to know that government and religion don't mix. Interpret the establishment clause any way you like - but it clearly states that the government shouldn't meddle with, promote, or otherwise associate itself with religion.
Let's try a different approach with Coffee Freak.

“What's left to defend?”

Freedom

#563482 Nov 16, 2012
Truth signed in wrote:
<quoted text>
Definitely, but what about for our enemies? Or perhaps those who are not necessarily our enemies, but of no relation or aquaintance to us?
A healthy respect for the human condition is important to any ethical framework.

“What's left to defend?”

Freedom

#563483 Nov 16, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I estimated you at 5 foot 2 inches tall. How did I do?

Location hidden

#563484 Nov 16, 2012
Truth signed in wrote:
<quoted text>
oh I wasn't pointing that toward you...just saying I'd like to be your age again! sorry...should have clarified!
I was joking.

I'm River. Nice to meet you :)

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

With Established Harem

#563485 Nov 16, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Creativity is a process, while empathy is the capacity to experience the feelings of others.
So, empathy can be a useful component of the creative process, but it's separate and distinct.
As Dave would say, or something like that.
Where have you put Dave, by the way?
.. isn't empathy also the ability to experience everything around us (including people) which ultimately leads to the creative process (art)? For me, empathy (feeling) facilitate creativity ..

.. during the day, Dave's busy authoring his dissertation on EM theory to revolutionize physics. At night, he cruises hot tubs and plays with his toy (he calls it a generator)..

Location hidden

#563486 Nov 16, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I estimated you at 5 foot 2 inches tall. How did I do?
I remember when I was 5'2". If I only knew then what I know now. I'm gonna need a longer leg soon.

“What's left to defend?”

Freedom

#563487 Nov 16, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember when I was 5'2". If I only knew then what I know now. I'm gonna need a longer leg soon.
I guess you'll be going back to Sindine Cybernetics for a refit?

“I speak my mind”

#563488 Nov 16, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I was joking.
I'm River. Nice to meet you :)
Nice to meet you too River!:)

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#563489 Nov 16, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's try a different approach with Coffee Freak.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =DPy1D-bsFDEXX
Haha. "the fox gallery."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 4 min onemale 265,402
Israel's end is near, Ahmadinejad says (Jun '07) 10 min RiccardoFire 37,842
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 16 min RiccardoFire 96,845
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 17 min mike 605,301
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 44 min Al Capone 5,151
Designer sarees Online 1 hr Priya 1
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr how g 560,316
Why Im no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 14 hr hpcaban 441,809
More from around the web