Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

Judged:

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Anything but tax, patents, trademarks, healthcare, other such specializations.
.. you're so humble ..

“Today we pray”

Since: Jul 12

"tomorrow we win"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Historians have catalogued over 3700 supernatural beings revered by various faiths over the last 4000 years.
However if you want to take it further India had the idea that there were 330 million
Even the OT refers to multiple gods and that you god acknowledged other gods
Exodus 12:12:
Exodus 20:3
Exodus 34:14
Psalm 136:2:
Psalm 82:1-2
Do you doubt your own babble?
I don't read babble. But in the Bible, the "other gods" you're referring to are false gods. It's pretty clear.....

“Pepsi is better than coke”

Since: Mar 11

and better with rum

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Good girl. You don't know waht nail bags are.
ahhh.... The way it should be.
grrrrrrrrrr!

Now I'm going to go out and buy a matching set!

http://www.google.com/imgres...

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
If God doesn't exist, why do atheists care so passionately that some people believe He does?
Because those people make religions, and fund a church to implement it. The church exists.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Why do they bother writing books against the existence of God?
To help people avoid or leave religion in order to shrink the church and shrink its influence on unbelievers.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
... Or fund ads on the side of London buses to deny something that supposedly doesn't exist?
The church most definitely exists, and its effect is most definitely unwanted by many that still suffer at its hand. I'm an atheist, and as such have had to deal with the prejudice created by that church for much of my life. The Christian church makes the lives of skeptics more difficult and at times more dangerous, and I'm excited to get a chance to fight back against that.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
They don't go out of their way to deny leprechauns or fairies or werewolves, so why God?
If there are any leprechaun or werewolf churches, they aren't large enough to affect us.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
The reason seems to be that atheists do know that God exists.
http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsH/743... [image]

Skeptics have a legitimate interest in seeing the church disempowered, and that begins with helping people turn away from it. That is done by deconstructing its most fundamental claims, including its claim of possessing the revelation and the ear of a loving god. All of that must be challenged. And that begins with a criticism of those claims, and fostering skepticism about that god. Disbelief follows quickly.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

Since: Apr 12

Orlando but NYC born & raised

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Good girl. You don't know waht nail bags are.
ahhh.... The way it should be.
Apparently not, RR.

The Association of Women Contractors (AWC) provides unique support to women business owners in the construction industry. The organization was founded in 1995 by a group of pioneering women who were determined to help other women succeed in a male-dominated industry.

https://awcmn.org/

Tuesday, October 28, 2008
updated 9:28 am

Though the construction field remains a male-dominated one, women have established a presence in the industry. Two local general contractors discuss the paths they’ve taken to become business owners and leaders in the field.

http://triadhomes.news-record.com/content/200...

Women Contractors Association

WCA is a non-profit organization composed of women owners and decision-making executives within the construction industry. Our informative meetings provide networking opportunities and valuable information specific to the construction industry and the small business owner.

http://www.womencontractors.org/

You are wrong to think that just because an industry is male dominated that it MUST be that way and that it is the way it should be.

I don't think there is a single field left where women are not also in that field. And THAT is the way it should be- not YOUR antiquated and chauvinistic twisted version of what "should be".

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

Judged:

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Nope. Not at all. How about you?
Were you referring to my list of slutty nano links? That took me five minutes to compile, and another minute to file away. I'd say that I am meticulous, not obsessive.
I mentioned my proclivity for processing and storing data, something that has served me well throughout a lifetime, as it did again recently in my debates with Skombolis. He could never find what he wanted, and griped about having to look for it, whereas I had virtually everything of value at my disposal[1]. It cost him more than the argument.
Do you know the word "informatics"[2]?
==========
Refs:
[1] http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TOCO8TE...
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Informatics_%28a...
This is Topix . What is the point to saving links to conversations like that other than obsession ?

“Today we pray”

"tomorrow we win"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

Judged:

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
grrrrrrrrrr!
Now I'm going to go out and buy a matching set!
http://www.google.com/imgres...
Aw, see? Nail bags aren't supposed to be sold in "matching sets".....

Don't f_ck it up.

“Today we pray”

"tomorrow we win"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

Judged:

<quoted text>
Because those people make religions, and fund a church to implement it. The church exists.
<quoted text>
To help people avoid or leave religion in order to shrink the church and shrink its influence on unbelievers.
<quoted text>
The church most definitely exists, and its effect is most definitely unwanted by many that still suffer at its hand. I'm an atheist, and as such have had to deal with the prejudice created by that church for much of my life. The Christian church makes the lives of skeptics more difficult and at times more dangerous, and I'm excited to get a chance to fight back against that.
Can you be specific? What prejudism has a church caused you? What is so "dangerous" about said church?

“Today we pray”

"tomorrow we win"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

Judged:

Skeptics have a legitimate interest in seeing the church disempowered, and that begins with helping people turn away from it. That is done by deconstructing its most fundamental claims, including its claim of possessing the revelation and the ear of a loving god. All of that must be challenged. And that begins with a criticism of those claims, and fostering skepticism about that god. Disbelief follows quickly.
Well good luck with that.....

People like you have been trying to deconstruct the church for 2,000 years.

The Romans couldn't do it. What makes you think lil ol' you has a chance? The 5 people on Topix that peruse your bullshit won't make any change...

“Today we pray”

"tomorrow we win"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

OCB wrote:
<quoted text>Apparently not, RR.
The Association of Women Contractors (AWC) provides unique support to women business owners in the construction industry. The organization was founded in 1995 by a group of pioneering women who were determined to help other women succeed in a male-dominated industry.
https://awcmn.org/
Tuesday, October 28, 2008
updated 9:28 am
Though the construction field remains a male-dominated one, women have established a presence in the industry. Two local general contractors discuss the paths they’ve taken to become business owners and leaders in the field.
http://triadhomes.news-record.com/content/200...
Women Contractors Association
WCA is a non-profit organization composed of women owners and decision-making executives within the construction industry. Our informative meetings provide networking opportunities and valuable information specific to the construction industry and the small business owner.
http://www.womencontractors.org/
You are wrong to think that just because an industry is male dominated that it MUST be that way and that it is the way it should be.
I don't think there is a single field left where women are not also in that field. And THAT is the way it should be- not YOUR antiquated and chauvinistic twisted version of what "should be".
LMAO!!

"a group of pioneering women" ie; lesbians.

Women can pry their way into the construction industry but it'll always be a man's arena.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't read babble. But in the Bible, the "other gods" you're referring to are false gods. It's pretty clear.....
Sorry, I don’t understand, what you are saying is your god spoke lies – yes?

How can they be false when you own god refers to them?– Or is this another of those interpretation things you are so fond of where you bend the facts to suite you personal belief?

In Exodus 12:12 your own god is said to have spoken the words –“and on all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgments” Good indication of more than one otherwise why the plural?

Exodus 20:3 has you god saying “You shall have no other gods before me”, that’s pretty clear that he thinks other gods exists.

And Exodus 34:14 has you god saying “For thou shalt worship no other god”…Again pretty clear that you god thinks there are others

Your babble has your god saying there are other gods, how come you don’t agree?

“Today we pray”

"tomorrow we win"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, I don’t understand, what you are saying is your god spoke lies – yes?
How can they be false when you own god refers to them?– Or is this another of those interpretation things you are so fond of where you bend the facts to suite you personal belief?
In Exodus 12:12 your own god is said to have spoken the words –“and on all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgments” Good indication of more than one otherwise why the plural?
Exodus 20:3 has you god saying “You shall have no other gods before me”, that’s pretty clear that he thinks other gods exists.
And Exodus 34:14 has you god saying “For thou shalt worship no other god”…Again pretty clear that you god thinks there are others
Your babble has your god saying there are other gods, how come you don’t agree?
What?! I DID agree. Are you ok?

I said that the "other gods" you're referring to are known as false gods. God knows that people will invent other Gods to worship, but they are still false gods. That's one of the reasons Jesus was executed.

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

<quoted text>
Excellent examples of that include the dry counties in Baptist country, the way the US was kept out of stem cell research last decade by a superstitious president, and the difficulty some women have getting pharmacies to fill some prescriptions. Jesus doesn't like alcohol, say the Baptists. And he considers every stem cell holy. Who cares? Why should we have to continually fight this nonsense ?
.. there's a Little Baptist Church located in the UT Mormon desert in my neck of the woods. They're rather low key in a town that is 80% Mormon, never push their agenda and speak softly. Their power has been diminished by the local LDS religious rulers ..

.. if this church was located in, say, Montgomery AL, they would carry a big stick and speak loudly, their agenda front and center on all stages, including government. The Mormon Ward down the street would probably be rather quiet ..

.. it seems religious influence is based on numbers and the Religious Right currently holds the power in America, their dogma, social agenda if you will, creeping into government on all levels, rivaling the influence of the RCC during its hay-day ..

.. is religion the enemy or, the power they wield? Little churches like Al Garcia's instill values, promote fellowship and help the poor. Is your primary resentment against all churches or those that brandish their clout ??..

With Established Harem

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

<quoted text>
Buck made a cameo appearance last weekend in "Don't dictate beliefs" at http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...
It was his first post that I had seen in weeks, and it was belligerent, offensive, and unrelated to the post he was responding to.
He took a conservative position on global climate change in response to a post on the IRS and its refusal to pursue church 501(c)(3) violations - the "no politics from the pulpit" law. I had mentioned climate issues several posts earlier when discussing the damage that church-induced scientific illiteracy and distrust of science does to the nation. Buck stepped right up to offer himself as an example of that damage.
There wasn't a single friendly or personal word in any of it, so instead of a little friendly banter, catching up, and well wishes for whatever he has been through, the thread attacked his position. He disappeared for two days, returned to leave seven more posts that were just as cold and just as poorly received, and then disappeared again.
It's like I told nanoanomaly, "It doesn't seem right that some people have multiple personalities when there are so many that didn't get even the one."
.. oh, how I miss the banter between you and Buck, great entertainment ..

.. would you like me to try to lure him back? Understand, if I do that, HFY will never cyber with me again so make your offer enticing ..

“Pepsi is better than coke”

Since: Mar 11

and better with rum

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
What?! I DID agree. Are you ok?
I said that the "other gods" you're referring to are known as false gods. God knows that people will invent other Gods to worship, but they are still false gods. That's one of the reasons Jesus was executed.
Ah, the old "one, true god" argument that every believer in every religion holds so dear.

With Established Harem

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

<quoted text>
I'd say yes. Emotions are feelings that tend to motivate action. The key is in the "-motion" part of the word "emotion." And of course, motion, emotion, and motive all derive from the same Latin root from "motivus," meaning moving or impelling, itself derived from "movere," to move, and related to "mobilis," or movable. Thus words like move, motor and automobile also imply motion.
In any event, most of the feelings characterized as emotion motivate us to act. The most primal emotions like fear and anger, cause instinctive reactions away from or toward an object, even in lower animals.
Consider such feelings as love, trust, disgust, shame, envy, pity, shock, affection, curiosity, indignation, amusement, discontent, boredom, impatience, anxiety, and hope. All of them tend to inform our decisions, and in that way, affect our actions - or "motions."
Other emotions motivate action less so, emotions like grief, and happiness. There isn't much to do about them when they occur, although they may motivate our actions slightly - maybe to cry or smile - and to do what is necessary to avoid the one and create the other.
Sexual feelings certainly qualify. They motivate behavior.
These are all different from reason and pure ideas unassociated with emotion, which tell us such things as how things are and how to make them otherwise, but by themselves, don't motivate action. You have to have a preference to have a goal or purpose, and these come from a familiarity with feelings, and a preference for some over others.
BTW, as you know, in psychology, this is all subsumed under the rubric of "affect" (the noun).
Is that what you meant? What do you think about that way of viewing this topic?
.. thanks for your input. Don't know where I stand on this issue, still processing ..

.. what you write has validity but there's the other side of the coin. Is sexuality simply a primitive instinct to ensure survival of the species or much more? Is love part of the puzzle ??..

“I'm not Religious ”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
hahaha!
I just walked by a woman, sitting on the curb, who had a golden cloth crown upon her head and a matching robe. She was smiling.
I wasn't aware that Americans had royalty! Why do you treat them so badly???
You should stop by here in Rancho Cucamonga. We'll go shopping, hiking by day and then to Hangar 24 later for the I.E. best drinks. Gotta love the I.E.

“There's a feeling I get...”

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

Judged:

Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. you're so humble ..
*Blush*

I know

“There's a feeling I get...”

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
You should stop by here in Rancho Cucamonga. We'll go shopping, hiking by day and then to Hangar 24 later for the I.E. best drinks. Gotta love the I.E.
Yo Al.

When Double Fine gets to you, skip the shopping and the hiking and get to the drinking.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 534,681 - 534,700 of680,873
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

676 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 3 min Buck Crick 217,211
Gay Snapchat Names 4 min must add 1,365
The sad REALITY of being a gay atheist 12 min BenAdam 13
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 14 min Dang It 109,754
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 17 min pusherman_ 512,329
Girls snapchat names?(dirty) 18 min Wetpussywanted 281
Is Chris Anderson of the Miami Heat part lion? 19 min Doctor REALITY 3
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr pusherman_ 596,623
•••
•••
•••