Comments
534,421 - 534,440 of 733,167 Comments Last updated 10 min ago

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#562751 Nov 14, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
"Deeply Religious Newburgh Man Crushed By Falling Crucifix, Loses Leg"
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/10/26/deeply...
"David Jimenez believed his devotion to a crucifix was responsible for his wife being cured of cancer. Well, the crucifix fell on him, crushing one of his legs ... the leg had to be amputated.
"Jimenez sees tragic irony in losing his leg to a crucifix he had prayed to. The crucifix had been outside the Church of St. Patrick in Newburgh. For months, the 45-year-old pizza worker would stop and pray at the crucifix, that his wife would be cured of ovarian cancer. Because of that, Jimenez said, he got permission to clean the crucifix, which was long-neglected. But in doing so, the statue dislodged and toppled onto him.“Throwing him down to the parking lot, crushing his right leg,” Kitson said."
That reminds me of the Aztecs - they believed that you could ask favors of the gods in return for personal sacrifice. The personal sacrifice was harsh and involve torments such as pulling rough beeds through one's tongue, flagellation, blood letting the penis, etc.

On top of that, the Gods could be capricious.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#562752 Nov 14, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure they aren't horrible people. One cute older man who reminded me of Dave had his overcoat about 5 meters away from him, and his pants down his ankles in what would have been the pooping position if this were Japan. Here, he was just scratching his unwashed ass.
I'm sure I'll get used to the cultural differences over time.
I'm interested in the pooping position divide between our two cultures.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#562753 Nov 14, 2012
Al Garcia wrote:
Did the staff around know you were an Atheist? and is so how did they react and how did you deal with it?
There were assorted reactions, a few supportive. I mostly kept it to myself at the hospital, but was much more candid about who I in my office was with my own employees. Obviously, tolerance of those beliefs was a requirement for working for me, and probably for the employee as well, but it seldom came up in conversation, so it was easy for a believer to work for me.

When I first arrived in Missouri in 1998 to work and perhaps become a partner at a large clinic there, I found bibles in my examining rooms. Not the common waiting area, but my personal space, where the examining tables were. It was inappropriate, and it sent a false message about me, so naturally, I removed them.

This caused quite a brouhaha throughout the clinic. After the contract year, I left the clinic and opened a solo practice in the same town. Not surprisingly, it was a good move for me.

“There's a feeling I get...”

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

#562754 Nov 14, 2012
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
I said:
The theory [of evolution] presupposes a start to present day continual and progressive evolution of species.
presuppose
1. to take for granted; assume
2. to require or imply as a necessary prior condition
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/presuppose
It does believe that right? It assumes or takes for granted that evolution occurs on all levels and is continual from start to finish? And yet it can't prove that.
And when I say it hasn't been proven you agree. Yet you say it has been confirmed? How can something that hasnot been proven be confirmed?
<quoted text>
So you are basing your belief it is true on what you consider a high degree of probability. Again, that is presupposing
Yo amigo

Evolution is not necessarily about *progression*, but about *adaption*.

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#562755 Nov 14, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I can handle frat rapists, no problem. The white collar pervs might be fun for a night, if they're buying and I can get them drunk enough to pass out. But let's see if I have the proper etiquette down for the rest: run from street corner preachers, throw pennies at politicians and police, point and take pictures of hillbillies?
Always, ALWAYS run from Hillbillies! Always.

Fennario

#562756 Nov 14, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>This sure is an exciting conversation!
Henry certainly is enthusiastic!

From
[1:07 Seinfeld clip]

[Pendant publishing. Elaine is in her boss Mr. Lippman's office.]

ELAINE: You wanted to see me, Mr. LIPPMAN?

LIPPMAN: I was just going over the Jake Jarmel book and I understand you worked with him very closely.

ELAINE: Yes, krhm, yes I did.

LIPPMAN: And, anyway I was just reading your final edit, um, there seems to be an inordinate number of exclamation points.

ELAINE: Well, I felt that the writing lacked certain emotion and intensity.

LIPPMAN: Oh, "It was damp and chilly afternoon, so I decided to … put on my sweatshirt!"

ELAINE: Right, well...

LIPPMAN: You put exclamation point after sweatshirt?

ELAINE: That's that's correct, I-I felt that the character doesn't like to be ch-ch-chilly...

LIPPMAN: I see, "I pulled the lever on the machine, but the Clark bar didn't … come out!" Exclamation point?

ELAINE: Well, yeah, you know how frustrating that can be when you keep putting quarters and quarters in to machine and then *pfft* nothing comes out...

LIPPMAN: Get rid of the exclamation points.

ELAINE: Ok, ok ok ...

LIPPMAN: I hate exclamation points.

ELAINE:...ok I'll just....

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#562757 Nov 14, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I'm interested in the pooping position divide between our two cultures.
This has been years ago, and happened as I was driving to work.

So I'm sitting there, stopped at a red light about 10 cars back from the light...

A homeless woman, wearing multiple layers of clothing, shopping cart, and tan leathery skin is right next to my car.

She's turned away from me, and from out of the blue, she hiked her skirt(S) up and pee's not two feet away from the right hand side of my car.

You think of the strangest things at a time like this - okay, it's the only time THAT has ever happened to me - but still, the first thought that came to my mind was - WOW, strong stream - and it truly was. I'll never forget it. Almost Bovine in it's projection and cohesion.

The second thought? To be so weathered and tan, she has the most perfectly white and pear shaped ass. Kust looking at her outwardly, I might have guessed she was 55? After the "event", I might have said 30.

While I was stunned by the whole thing, the light changed and I moved along with the rest of the traffic, glancing in my rear view mirror, I saw the people immediately behind me laughing, as Buck Crick would put it, "like hyenas".

It's a crazy world.

I'm glad I get to live on it and experience it.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#562758 Nov 14, 2012
btw, nothing was left to the imagination. She let it all hang out.

“There's a feeling I get...”

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

#562759 Nov 14, 2012
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
This has been years ago, and happened as I was driving to work.
So I'm sitting there, stopped at a red light about 10 cars back from the light...
A homeless woman, wearing multiple layers of clothing, shopping cart, and tan leathery skin is right next to my car.
She's turned away from me, and from out of the blue, she hiked her skirt(S) up and pee's not two feet away from the right hand side of my car.
You think of the strangest things at a time like this - okay, it's the only time THAT has ever happened to me - but still, the first thought that came to my mind was - WOW, strong stream - and it truly was. I'll never forget it. Almost Bovine in it's projection and cohesion.
The second thought? To be so weathered and tan, she has the most perfectly white and pear shaped ass. Kust looking at her outwardly, I might have guessed she was 55? After the "event", I might have said 30.
While I was stunned by the whole thing, the light changed and I moved along with the rest of the traffic, glancing in my rear view mirror, I saw the people immediately behind me laughing, as Buck Crick would put it, "like hyenas".
It's a crazy world.
I'm glad I get to live on it and experience it.
"...Almost Bovine in it's projection and cohesion..."

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahaha!!!

Fennario

#562760 Nov 14, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Why do you want to fight against religion, as Henry said?
You don't know?

I just want to help shrink religion to get its values out of the general culture. I think it is very toxic, and would like to see its influence restricted to volunteers. Personally, I don't care what Jesus approves of. I don't care what Jesus thinks about gay marriage or sex out of wedlock.

Christianity will NEVER be well mannered or make a good neighbor on its own. will it? It always seeks to impose its values on the law and on public perceptions. Like some sort of ideological kudzu, Christianity never ceases trying to puncture the church-state wall, and to replace secularist values with Christian ones.

Excellent examples of that include the dry counties in Baptist country, the way the US was kept out of stem cell research last decade by a superstitious president, and the difficulty some women have getting pharmacies to fill some prescriptions. Jesus doesn't like alcohol, say the Baptists. And he considers every stem cell holy. Who cares? Why should we have to continually fight this nonsense ?

That has to stop, and I'm sure that you'll agree with me that it never will until we make it stop. That can only be accomplished by shrinking religion, which for me personally means arguing against it.

The word "anti-theist" is presently in vogue to describe that. I think that a more accurate term would be anti-ecclesiastical. It's the church that people like me resent and resist more so than the god belief itself, although the two are obviously closely related.

And I certainly have no ill will for the rank and file believers unless they are also vile or militant. But even then, it's not their theism that I object to. It's their personalities.

So, anti-theist is a slightly problematic term given that the appropriate target is the church and clergy, not the average theist, and not theism per se.

If the church were a good neighbor and respected the rights of the rest of us to live free from its influence, I would ignore it. And once it becomes that way, people like me probably will.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#562761 Nov 14, 2012
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
"...Almost Bovine in it's projection and cohesion..."
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahaha!!!
lolerbat...

Yeah, I know, and it was. She just leaned forward, hiked that skirt and ..... MOOOO! Whoa there, Bossy.

Incredible.

Fennario

#562762 Nov 14, 2012
Nanoanomaly ... is the most bitter poster in a female persona posting on these threads ... The only time she is not acidic and bitter is when she's polluted ... These links are typical of nano aka Sheila ... "Kitty" and "kitteh" are code for her snatch :

http://www.topix.com/forum/news/evolution/TCT...
http://www.topix.com/forum/news/evolution/TCT...
http://www.topix.com/forum/news/weird/TB0B46G...
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/skyland-nc/TF...
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...
http://www.topix.com/forum/news/evolution/TCB...
http://www.topix.com/forum/news/evolution/TP8...
Lil Ticked wrote:
Wow. Obsess much?
Nope. Not at all. How about you?

Were you referring to my list of slutty nano links? That took me five minutes to compile, and another minute to file away. I'd say that I am meticulous, not obsessive.

I mentioned my proclivity for processing and storing data, something that has served me well throughout a lifetime, as it did again recently in my debates with Skombolis. He could never find what he wanted, and griped about having to look for it, whereas I had virtually everything of value at my disposal[1]. It cost him more than the argument.

Do you know the word "informatics"[2]?

==========

Refs:

[1] http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TOCO8TE...
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Informatics_%28a...

“Michin yeoja”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#562763 Nov 14, 2012
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
He has to, what?, register a new name every 2-3 weeks? It isn't about shy, it's about keeping your name up. Sure, registering a new name is nothing.
But me calling you River, or Tide, Tide, or me keeping Scar up day in and day out, that's good, and irritating to some.
Maybe I'm able to release my "verbal" beast cause I can go to a no ban room and say anything I want, so I don't really skirt the terms too much. I dunno, but I like coming here and seeing you and Tide, IANS, Hiding, HL, Aero, Catcher, Al, Karl, and all the rest(if not mentioned doesn't mean I don't like you)- and those of you I don't care for, don't think you're in that list.
I like seeing the sir doctor idiot having to jump through hoops just so he can come here and we(the same people/names) see his stupidity, no matter which name he's using this week. He really isn't a troll, he's just pitiful.
I've never seen someone work so hard just so people can repeatedly see the dumb he possess, and thrashed by a troll, River.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =aQq7QoqQC2YXX
He's sorta like froggie.
I came here to learn things. Now I'm just entertained.

That being said, I have learned some things. I'm not sure my parents would approve.

Would you like a list of what I've learned?

Fennario

#562764 Nov 14, 2012
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. if SKOM doesn't appear in 2-3 days, should we PM him ??..
.. always want to view the end of a movie. The debates between SKOM/AIN and SKOM/TIDE are quite interesting. He adds a new dimension to the thread ..
.. now, if only we could get Buck back << fireworks >> ..
Buck made a cameo appearance last weekend in "Don't dictate beliefs" at http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...

It was his first post that I had seen in weeks, and it was belligerent, offensive, and unrelated to the post he was responding to.

He took a conservative position on global climate change in response to a post on the IRS and its refusal to pursue church 501(c)(3) violations - the "no politics from the pulpit" law. I had mentioned climate issues several posts earlier when discussing the damage that church-induced scientific illiteracy and distrust of science does to the nation. Buck stepped right up to offer himself as an example of that damage.

There wasn't a single friendly or personal word in any of it, so instead of a little friendly banter, catching up, and well wishes for whatever he has been through, the thread attacked his position. He disappeared for two days, returned to leave seven more posts that were just as cold and just as poorly received, and then disappeared again.

It's like I told nanoanomaly, "It doesn't seem right that some people have multiple personalities when there are so many that didn't get even the one."
endtime

AOL

#562766 Nov 14, 2012

PROOF Obama's ReElection = ANTICHRIST_______

&fe ature=plcp

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#562767 Nov 14, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I came here to learn things. Now I'm just entertained.
That being said, I have learned some things. I'm not sure my parents would approve.
Would you like a list of what I've learned?
Always.

Fennario

#562768 Nov 14, 2012
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. are sexual feelings a form of emotions ??..
I'd say yes. Emotions are feelings that tend to motivate action. The key is in the "-motion" part of the word "emotion." And of course, motion, emotion, and motive all derive from the same Latin root from "motivus," meaning moving or impelling, itself derived from "movere," to move, and related to "mobilis," or movable. Thus words like move, motor and automobile also imply motion.

In any event, most of the feelings characterized as emotion motivate us to act. The most primal emotions like fear and anger, cause instinctive reactions away from or toward an object, even in lower animals.

Consider such feelings as love, trust, disgust, shame, envy, pity, shock, affection, curiosity, indignation, amusement, discontent, boredom, impatience, anxiety, and hope. All of them tend to inform our decisions, and in that way, affect our actions - or "motions."

Other emotions motivate action less so, emotions like grief, and happiness. There isn't much to do about them when they occur, although they may motivate our actions slightly - maybe to cry or smile - and to do what is necessary to avoid the one and create the other.

Sexual feelings certainly qualify. They motivate behavior.

These are all different from reason and pure ideas unassociated with emotion, which tell us such things as how things are and how to make them otherwise, but by themselves, don't motivate action. You have to have a preference to have a goal or purpose, and these come from a familiarity with feelings, and a preference for some over others.

BTW, as you know, in psychology, this is all subsumed under the rubric of "affect" (the noun).

Is that what you meant? What do you think about that way of viewing this topic?

Fennario

#562769 Nov 14, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
I remember you threatening me with a lawsuit if I didn't quit disagreeing with you.
I don't, and neither do you.
nanoanomaly wrote:
It's rather convenient what you forget, isn't it? You are pathetic.
Well, now you can join the queue with RiversideRedneck and Skombolis, who both also expect us to take their word for what went down in a venue where everything is recorded and archived in online servers ready for immediate retrieval. I recommend that you do a few Google searches for web pages containing "it aint necessarily so," "nanoanomaly" or "Sheila," and whatever other word or phrase that you think are in my post such as "sue you," "litigate," "file charges," "lawsuit" - whatever.

Then get back to us with a hit if you get one, or simply concede - either explicitly in a future mea culpa post, or tacitly by offering no evidence - that you are also making an empty claim that you are unable to support.

People can guess for themselves whether that was due to a sincere error and a faulty memory, or due to a deficiency in your personal character. I've known you a long time, so I already have an opinion. But I don't want to influence the opinions of others on this yet, so I'll conceal it.

Which reminds me of a joke from My Little Chickadee starring Mae West. Ms. West has approached the bench in courtroom, and makes a snide remark under her breath. The judge angrily asks (paraphrasing),“Mrs. West! Are you trying to show contempt for this court?” to which she replied,“No, your honor. I’m doing my damnedest to conceal it.”

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#562770 Nov 14, 2012
<quoted text>

It's like I told nanoanomaly, "It doesn't seem right that some people have multiple personalities when there are so many that didn't get even the one."
ROFL!

Did you make that up?

That's priceless.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#562771 Nov 14, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I bet! I want to do that when I graduate.
I want to do that when I retire.

If I ever get to, that is.

I've been direct from Mass. to Florida on my Harley and from Mass to California in a %75 dollar car I bought at a Junkyard.

But I didn't do much sightseeing along the way either time.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 7 min Aura Mytha 226,379
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 8 min Uzi 117,996
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 9 min Toby 94,684
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 16 min Insults Are Easier 258,047
Last Word + 2 18 min Hannah V 533
4 word game (use same Letter) (Mar '13) 20 min Hannah V 1,016
Queen Cleopatra was clearly Black. White people... (Aug '10) 23 min Blck 466
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 25 min Truth 539,082
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr lil whispers 599,982
•••
Enter and win $5000

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••