Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#562782 Nov 14, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure it is, Al. It's not a conscious choice, nor a complex one. But the elements of discrimination - being able to react differently to different ambient stimuli - and both attraction and repulsion characterize chemical interactions. On a grander scale, it is quite feasible that consciousness gets many of its qualities from this scale of matter. The feelings and emotions that we were just discussing have a quality very similar to charge. These phenomena vary in quality - the aspect that lets us distinguish them - and intensity. But the all are either positive or negative. We like them or we try to avoid them. For all we know, that is a manifestation of electric charge, which is chemistry.
At that scale, all matter is chemical(s). Smaller, and all matter is subatomic particles, with different qualities like quark colors and flavors.
Larger, and matter is things like chunks, puddles and clouds.
Larger yet, and matter is galaxies.
But at scale between the scale of unaided experience and that of the quarks, the world is all chemistry. A mountain is chemicals - the kind called minerals. The atmosphere is chemicals, mostly nitrogen and oxygen molecules. And the oceans are huge collections of H2O, NaCl, I, and more.
This is no more mysterious than recognizing that at a too small scale, Shakespeare is just so many letters, spaces and punctuation marks. At a larger scale it is words. But it is also famous phrases and quotes at a larger scale, and famous scenes and plays at larger scales yet. And at the grandest scale, the collected works of Shakespeare, it is something else again. Even letters have parts: stems, bars, shoulders, ascenders, descenders, etc. And these have parts. like serifs and terminals. A holistic view of Shakespeare considers multiple scales simultaneously, probably from the scale of phrase (to be or not to be) to his oeuvre.
It would be just as wrong to characterize the brain and mind as nothing but a vat of chemicals as it would be to characterize Shakespeare as just letters, even though at one scale that is correct. In each case, this is the narrow view, not the holistic one, in which it is understood that at each new scale, there are emergent phenomenon not present at other scales. Consciousness is considered an emergent phenomenon of the entire electro-chemical process of the brain.
The brain doesn't do much at the gross scale. There are no moving parts. But at the scale of neurons and neurotransmitters, it's all electrochemical phenomena.
So, the choices made by individual molecules considered collectively can be the source of consciousness and will - choice.
Speaking of free will... Have you read the short "Free Will" book by Sam Harris? I have a feeling that you would enjoy it.

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#562783 Nov 14, 2012
Supertova wrote:
You are living proof. Our creation was not by accident. http://www.supertova.com
Free Jewish dating? I'm glad that you're not using your religion to spam...

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#562784 Nov 14, 2012
Happy Lesbo wrote:
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. if sexual desire is emotional, and, emotions are neither good nor bad, how can anymore say homosexual desires are wrong ??..
<quoted text>
.. taking a dump is also gross but indubitably normal ..
<< searching for 2x4 >>
<< whacking it over RR's head >>
<< hallow sound >>
Some people like poop. Heard of the Hershey Splurt?

Gimme back my 2x4

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#562785 Nov 14, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
And all this time I totally thought you were crusin' here...
(teasing)
What's a nail bag?
Good girl. You don't know waht nail bags are.

ahhh.... The way it should be.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#562786 Nov 14, 2012
Pokay wrote:
<quoted text> Well we have nothing to go on to even approach a model for t=0 and prior. So you can come up with whatever name you like but it won't be any more useful than calling it "God" until we have a way of probing that kind of event.
Calling it "God" is not equivalent to calling it the singularity. Familiar words have associations. If you still disagree, then perhaps you won't object to changing the currency to read "We Trust In The Singularity." The reason that religious people would object to that is the same one I would have to calling the seed of the universe "God."

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#562787 Nov 14, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
My butt itches.
Mother Nature is one bitch you shouldn't argue with...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#562788 Nov 14, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
So I'm in America now. What a crazy place - there's lots of beautiful buildings here and really dirty streets. Lots of ultra rich and lots of crazed homeless people. I'm kind of scared to go out of my hotel at night.
Is this really America?
Depends on where you are. You're in a city, huh?

Are you in one of those motels that charge by the hour?

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#562789 Nov 14, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Anything but tax, patents, trademarks, healthcare, other such specializations.
.. you're so humble ..

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#562790 Nov 14, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Historians have catalogued over 3700 supernatural beings revered by various faiths over the last 4000 years.
However if you want to take it further India had the idea that there were 330 million
Even the OT refers to multiple gods and that you god acknowledged other gods
Exodus 12:12:
Exodus 20:3
Exodus 34:14
Psalm 136:2:
Psalm 82:1-2
Do you doubt your own babble?
I don't read babble. But in the Bible, the "other gods" you're referring to are false gods. It's pretty clear.....

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#562791 Nov 14, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
grrrrrrrrrr!

Now I'm going to go out and buy a matching set!

http://www.google.com/imgres...

Fennario

#562792 Nov 14, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
If God doesn't exist, why do atheists care so passionately that some people believe He does?
Because those people make religions, and fund a church to implement it. The church exists.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Why do they bother writing books against the existence of God?
To help people avoid or leave religion in order to shrink the church and shrink its influence on unbelievers.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
... Or fund ads on the side of London buses to deny something that supposedly doesn't exist?
The church most definitely exists, and its effect is most definitely unwanted by many that still suffer at its hand. I'm an atheist, and as such have had to deal with the prejudice created by that church for much of my life. The Christian church makes the lives of skeptics more difficult and at times more dangerous, and I'm excited to get a chance to fight back against that.

Fennario

#562793 Nov 14, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
They don't go out of their way to deny leprechauns or fairies or werewolves, so why God?
If there are any leprechaun or werewolf churches, they aren't large enough to affect us.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
The reason seems to be that atheists do know that God exists.
http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsH/743... [image]

Skeptics have a legitimate interest in seeing the church disempowered, and that begins with helping people turn away from it. That is done by deconstructing its most fundamental claims, including its claim of possessing the revelation and the ear of a loving god. All of that must be challenged. And that begins with a criticism of those claims, and fostering skepticism about that god. Disbelief follows quickly.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

Since: Apr 12

Orlando but NYC born & raised

#562794 Nov 14, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently not, RR.

The Association of Women Contractors (AWC) provides unique support to women business owners in the construction industry. The organization was founded in 1995 by a group of pioneering women who were determined to help other women succeed in a male-dominated industry.

https://awcmn.org/

Tuesday, October 28, 2008
updated 9:28 am

Though the construction field remains a male-dominated one, women have established a presence in the industry. Two local general contractors discuss the paths they’ve taken to become business owners and leaders in the field.

http://triadhomes.news-record.com/content/200...

Women Contractors Association

WCA is a non-profit organization composed of women owners and decision-making executives within the construction industry. Our informative meetings provide networking opportunities and valuable information specific to the construction industry and the small business owner.

http://www.womencontractors.org/

You are wrong to think that just because an industry is male dominated that it MUST be that way and that it is the way it should be.

I don't think there is a single field left where women are not also in that field. And THAT is the way it should be- not YOUR antiquated and chauvinistic twisted version of what "should be".

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#562795 Nov 14, 2012
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Nope. Not at all. How about you?
Were you referring to my list of slutty nano links? That took me five minutes to compile, and another minute to file away. I'd say that I am meticulous, not obsessive.
I mentioned my proclivity for processing and storing data, something that has served me well throughout a lifetime, as it did again recently in my debates with Skombolis. He could never find what he wanted, and griped about having to look for it, whereas I had virtually everything of value at my disposal[1]. It cost him more than the argument.
Do you know the word "informatics"[2]?
==========
Refs:
[1] http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TOCO8TE...
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Informatics_%28a...
This is Topix . What is the point to saving links to conversations like that other than obsession ?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#562797 Nov 14, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
grrrrrrrrrr!
Now I'm going to go out and buy a matching set!
http://www.google.com/imgres...
Aw, see? Nail bags aren't supposed to be sold in "matching sets".....

Don't f_ck it up.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#562798 Nov 14, 2012
<quoted text>
Because those people make religions, and fund a church to implement it. The church exists.
<quoted text>
To help people avoid or leave religion in order to shrink the church and shrink its influence on unbelievers.
<quoted text>
The church most definitely exists, and its effect is most definitely unwanted by many that still suffer at its hand. I'm an atheist, and as such have had to deal with the prejudice created by that church for much of my life. The Christian church makes the lives of skeptics more difficult and at times more dangerous, and I'm excited to get a chance to fight back against that.
Can you be specific? What prejudism has a church caused you? What is so "dangerous" about said church?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#562799 Nov 14, 2012
Skeptics have a legitimate interest in seeing the church disempowered, and that begins with helping people turn away from it. That is done by deconstructing its most fundamental claims, including its claim of possessing the revelation and the ear of a loving god. All of that must be challenged. And that begins with a criticism of those claims, and fostering skepticism about that god. Disbelief follows quickly.
Well good luck with that.....

People like you have been trying to deconstruct the church for 2,000 years.

The Romans couldn't do it. What makes you think lil ol' you has a chance? The 5 people on Topix that peruse your bullshit won't make any change...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#562800 Nov 14, 2012
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>Apparently not, RR.
The Association of Women Contractors (AWC) provides unique support to women business owners in the construction industry. The organization was founded in 1995 by a group of pioneering women who were determined to help other women succeed in a male-dominated industry.
https://awcmn.org/
Tuesday, October 28, 2008
updated 9:28 am
Though the construction field remains a male-dominated one, women have established a presence in the industry. Two local general contractors discuss the paths they’ve taken to become business owners and leaders in the field.
http://triadhomes.news-record.com/content/200...
Women Contractors Association
WCA is a non-profit organization composed of women owners and decision-making executives within the construction industry. Our informative meetings provide networking opportunities and valuable information specific to the construction industry and the small business owner.
http://www.womencontractors.org/
You are wrong to think that just because an industry is male dominated that it MUST be that way and that it is the way it should be.
I don't think there is a single field left where women are not also in that field. And THAT is the way it should be- not YOUR antiquated and chauvinistic twisted version of what "should be".
LMAO!!

"a group of pioneering women" ie; lesbians.

Women can pry their way into the construction industry but it'll always be a man's arena.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#562801 Nov 14, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't read babble. But in the Bible, the "other gods" you're referring to are false gods. It's pretty clear.....
Sorry, I don’t understand, what you are saying is your god spoke lies – yes?

How can they be false when you own god refers to them?– Or is this another of those interpretation things you are so fond of where you bend the facts to suite you personal belief?

In Exodus 12:12 your own god is said to have spoken the words –“and on all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgments” Good indication of more than one otherwise why the plural?

Exodus 20:3 has you god saying “You shall have no other gods before me”, that’s pretty clear that he thinks other gods exists.

And Exodus 34:14 has you god saying “For thou shalt worship no other god”…Again pretty clear that you god thinks there are others

Your babble has your god saying there are other gods, how come you don’t agree?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#562802 Nov 14, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, I don’t understand, what you are saying is your god spoke lies – yes?
How can they be false when you own god refers to them?– Or is this another of those interpretation things you are so fond of where you bend the facts to suite you personal belief?
In Exodus 12:12 your own god is said to have spoken the words –“and on all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgments” Good indication of more than one otherwise why the plural?
Exodus 20:3 has you god saying “You shall have no other gods before me”, that’s pretty clear that he thinks other gods exists.
And Exodus 34:14 has you god saying “For thou shalt worship no other god”…Again pretty clear that you god thinks there are others
Your babble has your god saying there are other gods, how come you don’t agree?
What?! I DID agree. Are you ok?

I said that the "other gods" you're referring to are known as false gods. God knows that people will invent other Gods to worship, but they are still false gods. That's one of the reasons Jesus was executed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Uniblue MaxiDisk 2014 full with activatiion 3 min RKM7 1
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 min Just Sayin 554,866
Moses never existed 9 min jjustice0981 545
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 19 min onemale 263,441
Tamil vs Kannada. Which one is the oldest langu... (Oct '12) 1 hr truth 1,191
Israel's end is near, Ahmadinejad says (Jun '07) 1 hr Mandela 37,646
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 1 hr Catcher1 175,040
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr jjustice0981 603,601
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 3 hr An NFL Fan 119,237

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE