Prove there's a god.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

Since: Apr 12

Orlando but NYC born & raised

#562481 Nov 13, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
KittenKoder wrote:
To me, love is simply not wishing to kill someone.
<quoted text>
wow..........
Hey- if that's her perception of love, so be it.

But of course, I was referring to the majority of her post and not just the last sentence.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

Since: Apr 12

Orlando but NYC born & raised

#562482 Nov 13, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes it is that simplistic, in a dumbed-down, humorous way...
But your butt buddy kitten says its somewhere between 3700 & 37,000,000...
Sounds very scientific to me!
Why are you trying to apply science to beliefs in various gods?

Nothing at all scientific about the belief in ANY god.

And uh....Kitten is NOT my butt buddy- just this morning, I disagreed with her regarding her opinion of AA.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

Since: Apr 12

Orlando but NYC born & raised

#562483 Nov 13, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes it is that simplistic, in a dumbed-down, humorous way...
But your butt buddy kitten says its somewhere between 3700 & 37,000,000...
Sounds very scientific to me!
And no....it is NOT that simplistic no matter how much you need to dumb down science so that YOU can begin to grasp what science actually is.

Regardless, nothing scientific is applied to the belief in a god or gods.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#562484 Nov 13, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I was thinking it hit closer to your ankle. We'll need more testable jokes and I think Pokay is all out of them.
Here's some:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =loIoWquy4KMXX
All those jokes helped me to narrow it down to my left foot. We're almost there.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#562485 Nov 13, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Tea baggers are the closest thing to Nazi's in the mainstream political parties. In fact there were parallels drawn up showing it.
The only thing Biden said that made me feel better, was that he though personally believes in pro life, that he did not think it was his right to force that belief on others. I favor republicans for one reason only , that's strong foreign policy that is known to wield a hammer. But I favored Romney because he seemed better capable to turn the economy around.
Other than that the republicans have ruined themselves being too far right wing Christians, wanting to impose a theocracy and ruin America with the ilk of people with minds like that.
I have no confidence in Obama because I fear our economy is going to take a dive now into recession again. I actually wish we could have Romney president and Biden Vice because Ryan is a religionut with an agenda toward theocracy.
But you are way off base accusing the dems of being like Nazis,
ther're policy's are actually more like Marxists. Thinking they can create an American share the load Utopia. It will fail because nobody is going to be able to pay for their ideas. They may sound good on paper , but reality bites a lemon. Healthcare is going to wreck the already sinking economy.
"you are way off base accusing the dems of being like Nazis"

hitler came to power through a socialist-unionist platform. our democrat party is closer to his model than the republican party is.

"republicans have ruined themselves being too far right wing Christians"

you must think that evil/darkness and plain anarchy has more rights in this country than does goodness and common sense! based on the outcome of this last election, more people seem to agree with you than not.....

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#562486 Nov 13, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Woah.... WTF??
"To me, love is simply not wishing to kill someone"
Oh my. So then it's ok to beat your lovers ass? I mean, as long as you don't kill them, you're ok, right?
You're a strange puppy. I'll assume that you've never been in love, based off of your idiotic post.
I don't have "lovers" ... nor do I wish for any. How many times do I have to remind you that I am asexual before you actually realize what that means?

Also no, I love my father, he was a good person and highly intelligent. I love my friends, enjoy their company and chatter. I love animals, except the ones I eat, those are just too tasty, and you gotta kill them to eat them.

As I pointed out, no, none, two people will ever describe any emotion the same. They are opinion, though they are produced by the same chemical reactions, the "feeling" of that emotion will always differ.

“I never claimed to be Perfect”

Since: Nov 10

just better than yesterday

#562487 Nov 13, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
You just did. Why can't science?
<quoted text>
For me, that's 1950's science.
How does the Bible explain love in a way that science cannot?
How does the Bible explore what it means to be human in a way that science cannot?
Science canít tell us the purpose of anything. It can't give us the meaning of life, it can tell us what life is, not what it ought to be.

Science can tell us more than we ever wanted to know about human anatomy, it can describe what makes up the heart and the brain and how these fascinating organs function, but it can not tell us the purpose of a person or how to love or even what love is. To describe the purpose of something implies a knowledge of the reason it was made the way it was. Science can tell us a lot about the way a human being works, but it cannot tell us the intent behind the design of a human being.(of course this is a Christian view point)

Science can describe and categorize life and our experience with the world, but it cannot explain what it all means. People try to use science to tell us that the world is an accident, that life has no meaning, but these types of determinations are outside of the jurisdiction of science. These are Theological questions, not scientific questions.

The Bible teaches us that love is patient, love is kind, love is not jealous or boastful or proud. It teaches what it is and ought to be. The Bible has many meanings and passages explaining, and defining love.

The Bible restores our humanness from the cold and unfeeling of the world. It explains why besides we simply being the result of assemblage of molecules and atoms that we posses why life is worth living.

The Bible teaches us the responsibilty and nature of returning love back as the response for life.

There is no 1950's about it Hiding.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#562488 Nov 13, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes it is that simplistic, in a dumbed-down, humorous way...
But your butt buddy kitten says its somewhere between 3700 & 37,000,000...
Sounds very scientific to me!
The total number of gods dreamed up by human minds is impossible to know for certain, but based on all the permutations of all the known ones, combined with all the spin off ideas and definitions, as well as the permutations of those. You have at least 37,000,000. That includes the thousands of christian gods, none of you define your god the same, that makes them inherently different gods by definition.

Also, why do you keep putting words into my posts or reading more into them than they state? You do it all the time, and this is a prime example, I didn't say "between" at all, nor did I imply it.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#562489 Nov 13, 2012
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>Wonderfully stated, Kitten!
Thank you, I try. I may not be the most emotional person alive, but I can be very poetic at times, for some reason.

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#562490 Nov 13, 2012
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
"you are way off base accusing the dems of being like Nazis"
hitler came to power through a socialist-unionist platform. our democrat party is closer to his model than the republican party is.
"republicans have ruined themselves being too far right wing Christians"
you must think that evil/darkness and plain anarchy has more rights in this country than does goodness and common sense! based on the outcome of this last election, more people seem to agree with you than not.....

The difference between you and the majority is how you define
"goodness and common sense".

evil/darkness and plain anarchy has no place anywhere , it is not found in democrats. That's just crazy.

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#562491 Nov 13, 2012
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>Science canít tell us the purpose of anything. It can't give us the meaning of life, it can tell us what life is, not what it ought to be.
Science can tell us more than we ever wanted to know about human anatomy, it can describe what makes up the heart and the brain and how these fascinating organs function, but it can not tell us the purpose of a person or how to love or even what love is. To describe the purpose of something implies a knowledge of the reason it was made the way it was. Science can tell us a lot about the way a human being works, but it cannot tell us the intent behind the design of a human being.(of course this is a Christian view point)
Science can describe and categorize life and our experience with the world, but it cannot explain what it all means. People try to use science to tell us that the world is an accident, that life has no meaning, but these types of determinations are outside of the jurisdiction of science. These are Theological questions, not scientific questions.
The Bible teaches us that love is patient, love is kind, love is not jealous or boastful or proud. It teaches what it is and ought to be. The Bible has many meanings and passages explaining, and defining love.
The Bible restores our humanness from the cold and unfeeling of the world. It explains why besides we simply being the result of assemblage of molecules and atoms that we posses why life is worth living.
The Bible teaches us the responsibilty and nature of returning love back as the response for life.
There is no 1950's about it Hiding.
Theological questions? nope
Philosophical questions? yep
You have just made your philosophy to be theological.

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#562492 Nov 13, 2012
Pokay wrote:
<quoted text>My point was you can't eliminate 'stupid sh*t'. Get rid of religion, and stupid sh*t is still there. The same "good" people that would be manipulated by religion will be manipulated by their own mental trainwreck that got them to blindly believe in the first place.
What if we strengthened the education system and built up critical thinking?

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#562493 Nov 13, 2012
shahid afridi wrote:
<quoted text>
Why you people are always trying to prove everything or use science methods to prove.We are nothing in front of a God and we will prove His existence.There are more than 1000 animals in the world which noone knows and noone has the proof but it is said that they are.If he will show his face then He will not remain God.We should believe in an unseen God thats the best for us.
How sad that you think you are nothing.

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#562494 Nov 13, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
No, Pokay-Mon, she's not lying. And it's you that just got caught again - caught being not too bright. She got the links from somewhere where they were recorded when originally posted and never updated. Topix edits posts out, and frequently, a post will end up on the page prior to the one it started out on, the one in the link.
Hiding's first link terminates in the suffix "...T63/p26570#c558200, " which can be seen in the address bar of your browser by clicking on it. This format specifies the page and post number. Once upon a time, your post, number 558200, was on page 26570. But now, because of deletions, it is on page 26569, which is obvious by looking at the URL, the post number it contains, and the number of the first post on the page, which happens to be #558216. With there being twenty posts per page, post 558200 is one page back.
Unfortunately, the software goes to the specified page, and when it can't find the post there, it leaves you at the top of that page. It doesn't figure out to go one page back. But you can.
All you needed to do was to look at the URL up there, realize that it was referring to a post that would be a page earlier, click on "<prev page," and find the post. I did.
Her second link suffers from the same problem. It's suffix is "T63/p26572#c558243, " and as you should have guessed by now, post 558243 is now on page 26572.
In both cases, you could have noted that the post number is lower than the first post on the page, and gone back a page to access it. Instead, you preferred to call Hiding a liar.
FYI, there is a second post URL format that uses the suffix "...T63/post558200" which is much more flexible. In this case, the software looks for the post by number. This never fails, whatever page the post ends up on over time. Here's the link in that format http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TOCO8TE...
This format is collected by right clicking on the post number immediately to the left of the words "Judge It," and selecting "Copy Link Location"
Hey, thanks for that - NS just explained to me on another thread that I should delete the page numbers when I paste the links. From now on, I will :)

It's amazing how often the word "liar" gets tossed around on these threads.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#562495 Nov 13, 2012
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>Science canít tell us the purpose of anything. It can't give us the meaning of life, it can tell us what life is, not what it ought to be.
Science can tell us more than we ever wanted to know about human anatomy, it can describe what makes up the heart and the brain and how these fascinating organs function, but it can not tell us the purpose of a person or how to love or even what love is. To describe the purpose of something implies a knowledge of the reason it was made the way it was. Science can tell us a lot about the way a human being works, but it cannot tell us the intent behind the design of a human being.(of course this is a Christian view point)
Science can describe and categorize life and our experience with the world, but it cannot explain what it all means. People try to use science to tell us that the world is an accident, that life has no meaning, but these types of determinations are outside of the jurisdiction of science. These are Theological questions, not scientific questions.
The Bible teaches us that love is patient, love is kind, love is not jealous or boastful or proud. It teaches what it is and ought to be. The Bible has many meanings and passages explaining, and defining love.
The Bible restores our humanness from the cold and unfeeling of the world. It explains why besides we simply being the result of assemblage of molecules and atoms that we posses why life is worth living.
The Bible teaches us the responsibilty and nature of returning love back as the response for life.
There is no 1950's about it Hiding.
Science doesn't directly seek to give meaning to life, but I have gotten more spiritual satisfaction from scientific knowledge than I could ever hope to gain from a book of stories. Knowing that we are all intimately connected with the universe, in a very direct way, feels a lot better than thinking that some old guy made us out of dust.

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#562496 Nov 13, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't have "lovers" ... nor do I wish for any. How many times do I have to remind you that I am asexual before you actually realize what that means?
Also no, I love my father, he was a good person and highly intelligent. I love my friends, enjoy their company and chatter. I love animals, except the ones I eat, those are just too tasty, and you gotta kill them to eat them.
As I pointed out, no, none, two people will ever describe any emotion the same. They are opinion, though they are produced by the same chemical reactions, the "feeling" of that emotion will always differ.
You may have some tasty friends too, hey you never know till you try!
lol

“I never claimed to be Perfect”

Since: Nov 10

just better than yesterday

#562497 Nov 13, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't have "lovers" ... nor do I wish for any. How many times do I have to remind you that I am asexual before you actually realize what that means?
Also no, I love my father, he was a good person and highly intelligent. I love my friends, enjoy their company and chatter. I love animals, except the ones I eat, those are just too tasty, and you gotta kill them to eat them.
As I pointed out, no, none, two people will ever describe any emotion the same. They are opinion, though they are produced by the same chemical reactions, the "feeling" of that emotion will always differ.
Love is an amazing thing Kitten. It truly is more than just a chemical reaction IMHO. Chemicals cannot make choices. We choose to open our hearts or not to every day. This choice is what makes us human and fully rising above our chemical reactions that allow os to make spiritual decisions of the heart. No animal that we know can do this. It is a true gift that should not be taken lightly by anyone.

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#562498 Nov 13, 2012
Pokay wrote:
What you don't understand my dear is that we already have a definition for "nothing". It means something cannot come of it, if it is indeed nothing. If something comes of "it" then it is not nothing.
Ok, we can go with that from now on. What shall we call an uncaused universe that began from some sort of quantum event of which no precursors existed?
You know, I argued with polymath that the models for the universe leave us to wonder whether there can be an "outside". He says there is no "outside" which means there is no "nothing". Show me why I should believe these virtual particles are indeed going absolutely out of existence (into nothingness) rather than out of our range of perception? Funny how you can take the same evidence and look the other way. You mean you are in disagreement with your buddy polymath?
In matters physics, take Polymath's word over mine every time.

By "no outside" I think he meant "in any sense that we can relate to, because of how time and space work." But I could be wrong here. Do you, by chance, have a link?

As for your "show me" sentence: here's a nice read that seems to suggest I'm mistaken about them coming from nothing: http://profmattstrassler.com/articles-and-pos...

Here's another take on that:

http://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/...
No need to get around it. If our existence is an illusion, it is still something, it is still real, a real illusion; we still exist, just that we can't perceive our true nature. If we are somekind of artificial intelligence then that implies there is a real intelligence that has synthesized us. There is no need to get around anything here.
So at some level, existence is assured. Ok, sounds great.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#562499 Nov 13, 2012
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
Love is an amazing thing Kitten. It truly is more than just a chemical reaction IMHO. Chemicals cannot make choices. We choose to open our hearts or not to every day. This choice is what makes us human and fully rising above our chemical reactions that allow os to make spiritual decisions of the heart. No animal that we know can do this. It is a true gift that should not be taken lightly by anyone.
Cut out your amygdala and somehow compromise your dopamine pathways and then try to fall in love.

“I never claimed to be Perfect”

Since: Nov 10

just better than yesterday

#562500 Nov 13, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Science doesn't directly seek to give meaning to life, but I have gotten more spiritual satisfaction from scientific knowledge than I could ever hope to gain from a book of stories. Knowing that we are all intimately connected with the universe, in a very direct way, feels a lot better than thinking that some old guy made us out of dust.
LOL! good for you. I mean that! Keep in mind that as time goes on, your opinion may change. They almost always do. Perhaps, one day you may look at "that old guy" differently. Just saying.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 6 min Porkpie Hat 271,432
Rajkot gay Topix 6 min rjrj 95
ye olde village pub (Jun '07) 9 min I Am No One_ 53,359
Tamil vs Kannada. Which one is the oldest langu... (Oct '12) 14 min Naveen kumar 1,464
Homeland Security And Space Aviations 27 min Ellisages 2
News Albright Blasts Bush Mideast Response, Cites Ir... (Jul '06) 34 min swedenforever 55
gay bottom in gurgaon (May '14) 39 min Ashish 147
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 39 min Epiphany2 612,269
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 53 min kent 591,237
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 1 hr Naveen kumar 7,166
is it wrong i like to wear womens underwear (Nov '12) 4 hr Sheila 262
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 7 hr Tony17 100,176
More from around the web