Prove there's a god.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#560375 Nov 8, 2012
There appear to be two main lines of reasoning to explain the origin of the name. The first suggests that it is the shortened form of a sentence used in worship, "he causes to be" or "he creates", from el du yahwi seba'ot, "el who creates the hosts", meaning the heavenly army accompanying the god El as he marched out beside the earthly armies of Israel.
El was the father of Yahweh(early polytheistic Judaism), along with numerous other "son gods". "Yahweh" had "brothers".

It's two examples of the different regions/tribes and the predominant deities worshiped by each one.

"In the case of the Hebrews, the cult of Yah, or Yahu, or Yahweh, was simply a local worship sometimes aggrandised by the King, adopted and documentally imposed on the fictitious history of the nation long afterwards." M. Lang, Making of Religion, pp. 190-8.

As the Semitic cultures/tribes merged and became unified as a single people, "Hebrew", what is known as Judaism, followed soon after, once they worked out the "deity details", and that didn't happen until the Babylonian exile period.

Yahweh was originally known as “Yahweh Sabaoth”(the convenient spelling of what you pointed out above), and meant "he who musters armies", or "the commander of armies" is another variation. "Hosts" is often substituted, because it sounds less ominous, but even that, means armies. "Yahweh Sabaoth", was a war god.

Back when those early Semitic peoples were polytheistic, Yahweh was a god right along side of Ba'al and Asherah, before the Judaic move to monotheism. Yahweh and Ba'al were the sons of EL. Taken from the older Caananite pantheon of deities. At one time Asherah was the wife of EL, and later became Yahweh's consort.
Instead of getting info from atheist sites, Christian sites or from ex-Christians, you should get your info from non-bias sites.
For all information - biblical, historical, scientific etc..., I endeavor to draw from accepted, reputable and scholarly sources.

That they may be found on whatever site, makes no difference, as long as I can cross reference and find that info is supported in accredited academia.

I don't source some guy that received a diploma from a double wide "University" somewhere in Arizona that has had 4 addresses in the last five years.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#560376 Nov 8, 2012
United in faith wrote:
there can only be one right way.
it is up to each of us to find it.
If each of us were left to our own devices to uncover the knowledge of the universe, we'd still be living in caves. Advancement in attaining knowledge comes through proven methodologies and building upon the achievements of our predecessors.
United in faith wrote:
If we are wise we take all the things God has provided us with,
His work, His creation, His design, His written word and then we mesh it with our own faith and choose to walk in HIS statutes and opperate our lives according to HIS will and that is the path that will lead us there.
Religion is not the answer.
You just described a religion. If you were to give your structure of beliefs a different label, the definition under that label would be identical to the definition of religion. It seems like you might understand the failures of religion, and want to separate your beliefs from that, but you'll have to do more than change labels.
United in faith wrote:
RELATIONSHIP is.
a very good test, or rule of thumb would be
if something glorifys you or your flesh, then it is not of God.
if something leads you in a direction of self and not spirit then it is not of God.
that is why you can apply the word of God to your life and it WILl work. Everytime.
Because God benefits us in His blessing.
the world pulls us away from God with curses.
You have trouble staying focused.

Faith is a way of "knowing". It is used by people around the world. These people can have faith in any number of things. Some of these things that people have faith in are in direct contradiction to what you have faith in. If faith is such a good method, a dependable method, a virtuous method, how do you explain how many people use faith to believe in things that you must believe are wrong?

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#560377 Nov 8, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Brazilian citizens have not been known to pay back loans given by the U.S. government. Idjit.
On the plus side, you finally have something in common with Kaitlin! Now you can apologize and get along with her in your hatred of Obama.

Good for you! I'm looking forward to the mutual kindness on the threads.

:)

Some stable somewhere

#560378 Nov 8, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
What?!? Creationsists can only try to block the teaching of evolution, that's all. They have nothing to do with the political & financial well being of America.
RR, understanding evolution is critical to understanding biological - re: medical - problems. You want to treat cancer? Age related diseases? Use genetics research? Compete with nations pushing ahead with stem cell research?

Some stable somewhere

#560379 Nov 8, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Oops, almost forgot...
gfy
goofy funny you?

great family yonder?

guaranteed forever young?

granddad flies yesterday!

Some stable somewhere

#560380 Nov 8, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Among other things. Christians made America great, atheists tear it down.
Really? Atheists eat metal, do they? We run around destroying manufacturing bases because that's what you do if you don't believe in deities?

OooooKaaaayyy....

<Hiding puts hands up, steps back slowly>

Some stable somewhere

#560381 Nov 8, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Wasn't saying you stole it or anything. Easy observations to make for the non religious.
I like how he said it, though!

Some stable somewhere

#560382 Nov 8, 2012
Orangelion wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course he can sew, he just doesn't want to idiot.
But you want to idiot. Yes you do! Yes you do! Who's a cute widdle idiot? You are! You are! Yes you are! You're a cutesy wootsey widdle idiot! A boo boo boo! A boo boo boo!

Some stable somewhere

#560383 Nov 8, 2012
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
chit, I posted to skom not you
appologies
hahaha! I was reading what I wrote and thinking...huh??? How did I offend Karl...?

Glad I didn't!

_Olive_

“unstoppable”

Since: Jul 11

Hell

#560384 Nov 8, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
If each of us were left to our own devices to uncover the knowledge of the universe, we'd still be living in caves. Advancement in attaining knowledge comes through proven methodologies and building upon the achievements of our predecessors.
<quoted text>
You just described a religion. If you were to give your structure of beliefs a different label, the definition under that label would be identical to the definition of religion. It seems like you might understand the failures of religion, and want to separate your beliefs from that, but you'll have to do more than change labels.
<quoted text>
You have trouble staying focused.
Faith is a way of "knowing". It is used by people around the world. These people can have faith in any number of things. Some of these things that people have faith in are in direct contradiction to what you have faith in. If faith is such a good method, a dependable method, a virtuous method, how do you explain how many people use faith to believe in things that you must believe are wrong?
That is an awesome comment Tide with Beach. Faith Is a way of knowing. I am not often on this thread, great to read it. How have you been?

Location hidden

#560385 Nov 8, 2012
_Olive_ wrote:
<quoted text>
That is an awesome comment Tide with Beach. Faith Is a way of knowing. I am not often on this thread, great to read it. How have you been?
I'm a busy sumbitch.

Faith is a way of "knowing", but it's statistically (roughly) equal in performance to random guessing.

An inference is slightly better. I infer, that because we think the universe is very very large, that life probably exists somewhere else in the universe, or has, or will. This may or may not be good for humanity, or me personally. If this inference can be called a belief, it's a more sound belief than one in a deity. It's not based on my need for alien life to exist. It gives me no comfort. It doesn't dictate how I behave. I only believe that there might be alien life, not that there IS alien life. Even though I consider it highly likely, I'm not willing to commit, by way of faith, that alien life exists.

So, faith is a substitute for evidence and reason. It's a way of knowing without ever doing the work. It also often carries along a strong commitment and investment, and dictates thoughts and behaviors. It's dangerous, in addition to being a faulty way of knowing anything. I would go so far as to say that faith is immoral.

_Olive_

“unstoppable”

Hell

#560386 Nov 8, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm a busy sumbitch.
Faith is a way of "knowing", but it's statistically (roughly) equal in performance to random guessing.
An inference is slightly better. I infer, that because we think the universe is very very large, that life probably exists somewhere else in the universe, or has, or will. This may or may not be good for humanity, or me personally. If this inference can be called a belief, it's a more sound belief than one in a deity. It's not based on my need for alien life to exist. It gives me no comfort. It doesn't dictate how I behave. I only believe that there might be alien life, not that there IS alien life. Even though I consider it highly likely, I'm not willing to commit, by way of faith, that alien life exists.
So, faith is a substitute for evidence and reason. It's a way of knowing without ever doing the work. It also often carries along a strong commitment and investment, and dictates thoughts and behaviors. It's dangerous, in addition to being a faulty way of knowing anything. I would go so far as to say that faith is immoral.
oh, I read your comment wrong, I am a believer in Faith.

I agree, the Universe is enormous and to assume we are the only life out there, is ridiculous.

See, my argument with atheists is, that they place everything within the parameter of human beings, and I am sorry, human beings are flawed, most consider only their own selfish interests. To say that ours is the highest intelligence out there... Yikes. I think there is a higher intelligence, thank goodness.

Location hidden

#560387 Nov 8, 2012
I'm going to have to correct myself.

Is faith itself immoral?

Faith can and often does lead to unethical behavior. I can't rightly say that it is always immoral to have or adopt faith. Some people have little choice in what they've been indoctrinated with, and people can have faith and never let that faith cause them to do something unethical.

It's still dangerous, faulty, and increasingly unnecessary.

_Olive_

“unstoppable”

Hell

#560388 Nov 8, 2012
Faith is a way of knowing because faith is assurance.

“Author/Motivatio nal Speaker”

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#560389 Nov 8, 2012
You woke up this morning! You are walking, talking, breathing, seeing, eating and are simply able. The sky has not fallen on you and you are not thirsty, at least not for water. Open your eyes and look around you, you had to have come from some place and so did everything else in the world. Something is causing you to breath this free air, something created everything around you and hopefully you'll be able to go back where you came from before your mother bore you. Something had to have placed you in her womb, you certainly didn't grow there. Is that enough for you?

I pray that the soul and the spirit that dwell inside of your body and that will live way after your body has failed you, will visit God when he is ready for you to and not sooner. Everyone must die, and you will be where ever you go longer than you are here. Peace be with you.
Knock off purse seller

Portland, OR

#560390 Nov 8, 2012
_Olive_ is the multiply-banned slimy violent stalker Phil Gray, The Topix Poser, professional flake

Some stable somewhere

#560391 Nov 8, 2012
_Olive_ wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree, the Universe is enormous and to assume we are the only life out there, is ridiculous.
See, my argument with atheists is, that they place everything within the parameter of human beings, and I am sorry, human beings are flawed, most consider only their own selfish interests. To say that ours is the highest intelligence out there... Yikes. I think there is a higher intelligence, thank goodness.
It's not a condition of atheism to suppose that humans are the end all and be all of evolution. That would be the "Great Chain of Being" idea - it's quite opposite to evolution and not something an atheist would necessarily ascribe to.

Location hidden

#560392 Nov 8, 2012
_Olive_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Whether or not we are alone, we just don't know. I wouldn't say it's a ridiculous idea to think that we're alone, just unlikely.

I have no reason to think there's a higher intelligence out there. If there is, I'd have to assume that it evolved. If intelligent aliens exist, they might not know about us, or ever will. If they exist, and we don't know about them, they hold no interest for me. I'm not going to let one out of an infinite number of possibilities dictate my actions. I would consider that irresponsible. But that's exactly what faith is, letting one possible but unsupported reality dictate your thoughts and actions. It's okay, more than okay, to consider the possibilities, but I think it's imprudent to choose and commit based on faith.

Location hidden

#560393 Nov 8, 2012
_Olive_ wrote:
Faith is a way of knowing because faith is assurance.
Cognitive dissonance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_disson...

I've jumped out of a plane without a parachute. The only comfort available in that situation is faith. You know you're going to die, but you have faith that SOMEHOW you won't.

People who have faith rarely identify the actual benefits that faith provides. It's comfort, the sense that you know something awesome, feeling like you belong to some great supernatural scheme, or just plain denial of human mortality.

Location hidden

#560394 Nov 8, 2012
Knock off purse seller wrote:
_Olive_ is the multiply-banned slimy violent stalker Phil Gray, The Topix Poser, professional flake
Phil always says "Farty farty fart fart."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 6 min Aura Mytha 88,384
"I LOVE YOU Eva' 7 min Doctor REALITY 3
Christians cannot debate with ATHEISTS 14 min Insults Are Easier 627
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 24 min AussieBobby 284,624
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 40 min X Pendable 184,770
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 40 min truth 665,473
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr truth 45,848
Secular Humanism VS Christianity 3 hr Lonestar 255
More from around the web