|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2012

Judged:

Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>Want to know who really commits a disproportionate amount of the crime in the U.S? FYI: Religion has little to do with it.
http://www.policemisconduct.net/statistics/20...
Ironically, this could have been predicted to the letter easily. The steep decline in criminal activity starting in the 80's was caused by a social change in the US, since the decline in criminals is so drastic the crimes committed by the few bad police officers became a majority very quickly, because their crimes are connected with their jobs and not social interactions it would not be effected by the same social change that caused the decline in other crime. Not that they are justified, only that now we can focus on them.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2012

Judged:

Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>??.......of course there are. A high majority of the country claims Christianty as its religion. How could there not be? And poverty is the main factor behind crime, not what someone's religious beliefs are. Let me try to explain this. A vast majority of this country is of people between 5feet8inches and 6feet1inches.But do you think I would be right if I said height was a main indicator of who will be a criminal? Most criminals would be in that range, as would most Americans but I could point to it and say "see most immoral criminals are taller than 5'8" so clearly their height is why they commit crimes" With all due respect you don't understand the underlying factors for crime or the difference between those and coincidences or irrelevant shared traits
So, anyone can be a christian ... unless they're a criminal?

Jesus was a criminal, in your own mythology. I think you really need to stop covering your ears when you hear that the largest population in the prisons in prison, it's that way for the same reason there are poor christians in the US.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2012

Mirror Mirror Face wrote:
the Bible was not written for you, but for God's children
Traps are dug for whomever can be enticed to fall in them. The bible was written for those that could be made to believe it. That's you, not me.
what you interpret is irrelevant.
Then I can't help you.

Your bible is not a message from any god. It contains the superstitions and other false beliefs of ancients that thought that bats were birds, the earth was flat, and that pi was three.

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2012

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Ironically, this could have been predicted to the letter easily. The steep decline in criminal activity starting in the 80's was caused by a social change in the US, since the decline in criminals is so drastic the crimes committed by the few bad police officers became a majority very quickly, because their crimes are connected with their jobs and not social interactions it would not be effected by the same social change that caused the decline in other crime. Not that they are justified, only that now we can focus on them.
Few bad police? I am sorry but if the "good" police know what the bad police are doing and they do nothing about then they are bad police as well.
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-lapd-...
http://www.copblock.org/22146/mpd-cop-charged...
http://www.courthousenews.com/2012/10/01/5083...
Down play it all you want but, when they can do no-knock raids on wrong addresses, pepper spray 6 year olds, put cameras in your home and gps trackers on your car with out warrants and kill unarmed people with out repercussion then there is something seriously wrong.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2012

Judged:

They are always blaming their lousy lives and sicknesses on a God who they say does not exist.
Not me. I blame Batman.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2012

scambuster wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm kind of sad that you nitpicked over your grammer rather than your utter lack of compassion for your fellow man.
He cares about saving his soul from torture. To do that, he'll hate whatever he thinks his god hates.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2012

Skombolis wrote:
Regardless of their specific faith, most people believe there is a higher power or God.
These people can't agree among themselves what that power is or is like. That's what tells you that it is a psychological imperative for them, like loving a parent. There are also many different kinds of parents that are loved. It's a survival instinct.

That instinctual god need had been artificially selected for by man for millennia. Those without it were sacrificed as heretics.

That changed with the replacement of medieval theocracies and their witch burnings and inquisitions by modern secular democracies. Now, we skeptics are only subject to social pressure like the occasional car keying, business boycotting, or pet beheading. As a result, the religious instinct is becoming much less common in the general population.
Skombolis wrote:
But as far as man, many are open to the possibilty there may be intelligent life elsewhere in the cosmos. Of course there may not be in which case in which case you'd feel man is the highest form of intelligence in all of existance? Im assuming ur answer would still be yes. I just cant see a species that came up with Honey Boo Boo being the smartest the universe and all of existance has to offer. JMO.(T) PEACE
I don't see the point of this. How does it relate to gods?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2012

Judged:

Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>Few bad police? I am sorry but if the "good" police know what the bad police are doing and they do nothing about then they are bad police as well.
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-lapd-...
http://www.copblock.org/22146/mpd-cop-charged...
http://www.courthousenews.com/2012/10/01/5083...
Down play it all you want but, when they can do no-knock raids on wrong addresses, pepper spray 6 year olds, put cameras in your home and gps trackers on your car with out warrants and kill unarmed people with out repercussion then there is something seriously wrong.
Did you know, that the crime rate today is less than 10% of what it was 30 years ago? Violent crimes are down to 1% of what they were 30 years ago. But, there are people who now think that the streets are run by roaming bands of criminals shooting everyone on sight and mugging every passerby.

You are the same as those people who think criminals are on every street corner just wanting to kill, harm, or rob you. You see some news stories, think that's the state of things and that it's so horrible because you see so many new stories, well, it's actually better now, even in police criminal activity, than it was 30 years ago, so much better than anyone with half a mind should be thanking the change that happened during the 80s for being alive today. Even across the globe, this is the most peaceful time in all of history, with the fewest wars and lowest loss of innocent life in all of known history, that's pretty peaceful, we're so close to the world peace that the hippies from the 60s and 70s wanted it's actually imaginable for once.

Here's the thing, the cops have problems, everyone does, and they are not all innocent, but it's not doom and gloom, it's not like every cop that walks past you is going to shoot you for a funny look, trust me I have tested that notion myself. 20 to 30 years ago you heard about your local stuff and that was all, now you hear about the entire globe, you have what is best described as information overload and your perspective is lost, you cannot see the tree through the forest. I remember as a child, walking up with my group of friends to a cop and them putting their hand on their gun instinctively, a few months ago my friends, all street rats, and I walked up to a cop to ask for directions, and he didn't even look at us funny, he just politely gave directions and smiled rather nicely. Things have changed for the better We can make it even better, but you're just trying to make noise, trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill, just to be angry at something, you are, in fact, acting like a christian.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2012

Judged:

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
He cares about saving his soul from torture. To do that, he'll hate whatever he thinks his god hates.
So he is self hating.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2012

Skombolis wrote:
If I am married and I see a hot woman and think 'man if I wasnt married' or 'wow would she be amazing to get with' and then pretty much blow it off because while fun to look, I am certainly not going to cheat on mt wife then that is one thing.
Yeah, that's one thing, all right: the sin of adultery. Lust is adultery in the Christian religion:

[1] "But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart." - Matthew 5:28

And adultery is a sin punishable by eternal torment:

[2] "For the wages of sin is death" - Romans 6:23

The sexually immoral are the moral equivalents of murderers, whoremongers, and atheists, all of which will be tortured in hell for eternity :

[3] "But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.”- Revelation 21:8

[4] "Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men" - 1 Corinthians 6:9

Surely you consider that just if your god commands it, do you not? After all, his love is perfect, is it not. Dare you say otherwise?

Can you imagine how this appears without faith goggles on? It appears cruel, unreasonable, and very mundane - hardly the thoughts of a god.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2012

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So, anyone can be a christian ... unless they're a criminal?
Jesus was a criminal, in your own mythology. I think you really need to stop covering your ears when you hear that the largest population in the prisons in prison, it's that way for the same reason there are poor christians in the US.
That's the "beauty" of the "No true Christian" fallacy.

Only people who do nothing wrong at all are called Christian — by Christians — and those who do wrong are not Christian, no matter if the person who does something illegal, wrong or less than exemplary says they are a Christian.

It's a disingenuous claim by "Christians" who utilize the fallacy(obviously), and very convenient. When a Christian does something that casts a bad light on Christianity, they just say those people who presented a negative view of Christianity aren't real Christians and the problem is solved, no?

It's a good people are standing up and pointing out these flaws in Christianity and exposing that type of Christian thinking as disingenuous and fallacious.

It also points to(using the "No true Christian" fallacy) there being far less Christians in the nation than statistics say there are, meaning the US isn't a "Christian Country", if we allow Christians to make the "No true Christian", assertion, nor has it ever been. <(chuckle)>

We know that would be protested, however, by all Christians, true Christians or not, and suddenly every Christian a Christian could get to say they are a Christian would indeed be a Christian...~/.

"Atheism, Secularity, and Well-Being: How the Findings of Social Science Counter Negative Stereotypes and Assumptions"
http://www.pitzer.edu/academics/faculty/zucke...

Good article/.pdf on the subject that illustrates a religion/deity belief does not make for a better human, and the lack of a religion/deity belief certainly does not make for a worse human.

It's quite the opposite.
endtime

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2012

PROOF Obama's ReElection = ANTICHRIST_______

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2012

Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>I thought of another thing to ask along these lines. You said you believe there is probably intelligent life on extrasolar planets and moons and you doubt man is the most intelliegt life-form in the universe. So how can you rule out the possibility that a higher form of intelligence than man may be singular in species, that it could be God, and could have been the creating force behind human life? Depending on the degree of intelliegence higher than man which we would have no way of knowing, how can you rule out the possibility?
I don't see the relationship between intelligent life evolving naturally throughout the universe and a transcendent, supernatural creator god that allegedly created that universe and its contents. Where are you going with that?

Nor do I rule out the possibility of creator gods. I await evidence. In the meantime, I worship nothing. Why do you do otherwise? And how did you choose which god to worship? There are thousands of them.

Aren't you risking offending our creators if we actually have some, and you have guessed wrongly about their nature? Wouldn't you be offended if your creation depicted you as a petty, vengeful, jealous, judgmental, capricious, megalomaniacal, genocidal, filicidal, sadistic, panty sniffer? I sure would.

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2012

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you know, that the crime rate today is less than 10% of what it was 30 years ago? Violent crimes are down to 1% of what they were 30 years ago. But, there are people who now think that the streets are run by roaming bands of criminals shooting everyone on sight and mugging every passerby.
You are the same as those people who think criminals are on every street corner just wanting to kill, harm, or rob you. You see some news stories, think that's the state of things and that it's so horrible because you see so many new stories, well, it's actually better now, even in police criminal activity, than it was 30 years ago, so much better than anyone with half a mind should be thanking the change that happened during the 80s for being alive today. Even across the globe, this is the most peaceful time in all of history, with the fewest wars and lowest loss of innocent life in all of known history, that's pretty peaceful, we're so close to the world peace that the hippies from the 60s and 70s wanted it's actually imaginable for once.
Here's the thing, the cops have problems, everyone does, and they are not all innocent, but it's not doom and gloom, it's not like every cop that walks past you is going to shoot you for a funny look, trust me I have tested that notion myself. 20 to 30 years ago you heard about your local stuff and that was all, now you hear about the entire globe, you have what is best described as information overload and your perspective is lost, you cannot see the tree through the forest. I remember as a child, walking up with my group of friends to a cop and them putting their hand on their gun instinctively, a few months ago my friends, all street rats, and I walked up to a cop to ask for directions, and he didn't even look at us funny, he just politely gave directions and smiled rather nicely. Things have changed for the better We can make it even better, but you're just trying to make noise, trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill, just to be angry at something, you are, in fact, acting like a christian.
I disagree. All I am showing is the crime ratio of police vs. citizen. All I am asking for is accountability. I am not telling people to run for their lives and hole up in their houses. I know that the crime rate is significantly less now than in the past. Jeepers, try and pay attention. Stop jumping to conclusions before you have all of the info. Personal experience doesn't out weigh statistics and reports. Police commit more crimes on average in the U.S. than everyone else, period. It is fact and I presented the proof. You can say that I am acting like a christian all you want. You are acting like a complacent sheep. What will you do if your house gets raided, your dog gets shot, and you and your children are held at gun point all because they have the wrong address. Read the site they not only have the statistics to back it up they also post individual stories from the news, roughly 13 a day. That is just what they can verify. It does not include unreported offenses.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2012

Aura Mytha wrote:
No silly ..Henry you know you're supposed to eat the spaghetti monster! With cheese!
Cheese's Crust has come for our salivation (I Romano 1:2). Do not merely shave him off and cast him aside.

Nor should you forget the Ten Condiments of our Savory, who was born of extra virgin olive oil - Mother Marinara - lest you be thrown out of the Olive Garden.

After being pierced by a twirling fork, the Flying Spaghetti Monster was heaved at the wall, where he stuck and dried for your sins.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2012

Judged:

Skombolis wrote:
I dont agree an infinite being needs a creator.
I would say such a magnificent object needs a creator even more than a mostly empty and inert clockwork universe.

But let us not kid one another. You believe because of an urge to believe, not because of a compelling, rational argument. Your argument is fallacious. It depends on special pleading. Since you need the universe to have a creator, but not for the creator to need one, you simply declare that it so.

You pronounce that the universe is simply too impressive not to have been designed, and therefore MUST have a designer. But when asked why your even more impressive god is an exception, we'll, he just is. You simply declare that you don't think "an infinite being needs a creator" and move on.

I cannot be convinced by such an argument.

“There's a feeling I get...”

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2012

Teez wrote:
<quoted text>
My bad. I apologise for jumping to that conclusion. But, if you believe that all that planets, stars, etc., are created by processes that God has nothing to do with, what then is the purpose of a God? On this, apart from the lack of understanding that you pointed out and I agreed with, there are questions which I posed that, as much as they seem mumbo jumbo, require answers.
And philosophers come-up with fairy tale ideas from nothing?
Take your own advice. I never said that there is no such thing as evolution. So, can you evolve into a new born baby?
You are here to waste time.

Not today

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2012

Judged:

Skombolis wrote:
@IANS...i think I may see what the disconnect has been. IF (which I am not sure you are saying) the specks you are talking about always existed then that is one thing. Yes if I think an entity as complex as God could have always existed without a creator than of course a less complicated form such as specks would be even more possible that is could exist without a creator. If both are infinite. My issue is what happens next. Which is more likely? That these specks that always existed just up and formed and entire working universe complete with self-replicating species or that God always existed and because He is a vastly intelligent being he set those events in motion? It isnt just whether one or the other could have always existed it is whether the universe could be formed without intelligent guidance is my issue.(T) PEACE
You're making it too complex. Reword it, and you might get my point. What would be the description of the least likely thing to exist. Try to describe anything less likely than a single god. Even a race of gods is more likely than that. Everything else that exists seems to be one of many. Even the universe itself may be one of many, at least according to one leasing cosmogony, the multiverse hypothesis.

Sure, gods might exist. But I'm picturing an eternal amprphous substance that buds universes of every possible type from it. One day in the multiverse - and it had to happen eventually given the nature of the infinite and eternal - a singularity pinched off and expanded in just the right way. Actually, it should happen many times. Why not? Anything that can happen will happen repeatedly given the time.

Sure, that's way out there. But something is the case, and the amorphous blob seems sufficient and infinitely more likely than the perfect, infinite, immortal, morally perfected, omniscient, omnipotent object that you required by your hypothesis. Remember Occam and his Razor. Why assume the least likely thing that could exist does exist, when a mindless blob can do the job? Remember, whatever is not impossible is certain over eternity.

Anyway, it's probably easier for you to just worship a perfect god than deal with all of that. That's fine. But that's where I'm at, and why I can never join you again.

BTW, even the multiverse is natural. There is no supernatural. The word is meaningless. The multiverse may be other-worldly, and its laws may be foreign to us. But if it exists, it is nature, too.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2012

Judged:

Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
Lust is a moral problem because it inclines one to perceive and to treat another solely as an object of desire or enjoyment. The lustful heart beats for flesh, not for a person.
I have to disagree, Al. I am grateful to be able to experience lust, just as I am grateful to experience beauty, and humor, and love, too. I am grateful to have an appetite for life, for good food, for travel, for art, and for sex. Why should I be ashamed of any of them? They're all under control. The only one that actually has to be actively controlled is eating.

My lustful heart beats for flesh all right, and it's a great feeling. And it doesn't diminish my respect for the person, who is an object of pleasure at that time. What's wrong with that? I like being such an object myself, so why shouldn't a lover feel the same? In some cultures, and for some spiritual geniuses, lust and sex are elevated art forms.

Why would you say otherwise? I'll bet you feel much the same way. I think that religious instruction has misdirected you, and possibly denied you full enjoyment of the faculties that you were born with.
Tyrone

Hardy, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2012

Prove there is not!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

421 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 10 min Truth 532,395
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 13 min Catcher1 172,248
What Your Church Won't Tell You by Dave and Gar... (Apr '10) 13 min End of Church Ages 32,919
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 26 min HasbhaRAT Trolls Biffers 37,597
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 31 min HasbhaRAT Trolls Biffers 114,973
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 41 min Dr_Zorderz 256,380
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 43 min Holy dr Shrink 599,042
Game of Thrones Ebook Download Free [PDF] (Feb '13) 4 hr John 53
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••