|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2012

Judged:

Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Nobody said they dont. The question was do they do so disproportionately so to other demographics and since socio-economic factors are the main catalysts and like demographics have not been compared, there is nothing to substantiate the claim.Please give me a summary of what you think was being discussed before you entered the conversation
Want to know who really commits a disproportionate amount of the crime in the U.S? FYI: Religion has little to do with it.
http://www.policemisconduct.net/statistics/20...

Since: Sep 10

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2012

Judged:

Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Heh heh....although we used to joke when we knocked one out of the park scale-wise that I hope she isnt saying to her friends 'man i had the beer googles on last night"! Self-deprecating humor aside I bet that knife cuts both ways....not that I was complaining! LOL
I understand your belief system better, after you have disclosed your past battles.

I have been very fortunate.

As a consequence, I am able to live my life without a spiritual (read:religious) support system.

May your need for a religious crutch decrease as you become stronger.

I dont't mean this as a put down: you are a very decent person (but ease up on Karl, dude).
Greens-Tuff

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2012

karl44 wrote:
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
moral codes always attempt it insure the culture which spawned them, as such they are small in scope and insular, chrisitianity suffers from paranoia and xenophobia, it's philosophies promote hate.
secular humanism is far superior (as a moral code) as it includes all humans in "the tribe"
<quoted text>
and this is what passes for an intellectual response, seriously?
you are Skom
your beliefs are like a loose bowel movement
your god looks up from the waiting abyss in anticipation.
Abyss ? You have no idea. And I suppose you call all of the room in your home space. And I suppose you look up to the sky and call it space.
You don't no what abyss or space means do you.

Since: Sep 10

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2012

Judged:

nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>You are not a woman. Get over it.
Don't worry, I am not really here.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2012

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand your belief system better, May your need for a religious crutch decrease as you become stronger.I dont't mean this as a put down: you are a very decent person (but ease up on Karl, dude).
I dont see it as a crutch any more than I would family or good friends. It is simply a positive in my life than enhances my journey. As for Karl, yes I purposely come down on him hard. It is because for 3 years the guy has done nothing but attack me and in just absurd circumstances. It is like it drives him crazy that others dont share his univeral hate of all Christians and hates to see others get along with me or show me respect. Everybody has their limits and I keep thinking maybe if I keep making it not worth his while he will go his own way but he just keeps trying anyway. Sigh..I guess the onus is still on me to conduct myself is a manner that is decent regardless of what someone else does. Thank you for reminding me.(T) PEACE

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2012

Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>Want to know who really commits a disproportionate amount of the crime in the U.S? FYI: Religion has little to do with it.
I know without looking but just keep in mind that poverty, education available to the poor, jobs available to the poor and what kind of crimes are targeted for prosecution and a probation\parole system designed to reincarcerate plays a large role. With that said I am not ignoring personal responsibilty or that other minority groups didnt deal with poverty. But they also didnt face the same social obstacles as far as a level playing field. At the same time imo the breakdown of the family unit is probably at least the third main cause if not the 2nd right after poverty and that is nobody else's fault. Its complicated but yeah, religion isnt a major factor in crime in the U.S. imo.(T) PEACE

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2012

Judged:

Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>I know without looking but just keep in mind that poverty, education available to the poor, jobs available to the poor and what kind of crimes are targeted for prosecution and a probation\parole system designed to reincarcerate plays a large role. With that said I am not ignoring personal responsibilty or that other minority groups didnt deal with poverty. But they also didnt face the same social obstacles as far as a level playing field. At the same time imo the breakdown of the family unit is probably at least the third main cause if not the 2nd right after poverty and that is nobody else's fault. Its complicated but yeah, religion isnt a major factor in crime in the U.S. imo.(T) PEACE
You should look because you are mistaken. It has nothing to do with poverty either.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2012

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
I suppose you don't think anyone poor is christian either then.
??.......of course there are. A high majority of the country claims Christianty as its religion. How could there not be? And poverty is the main factor behind crime, not what someone's religious beliefs are. Let me try to explain this. A vast majority of this country is of people between 5feet8inches and 6feet1inches.But do you think I would be right if I said height was a main indicator of who will be a criminal? Most criminals would be in that range, as would most Americans but I could point to it and say "see most immoral criminals are taller than 5'8" so clearly their height is why they commit crimes" With all due respect you don't understand the underlying factors for crime or the difference between those and coincidences or irrelevant shared traits

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2012

Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>You should look because you are mistaken. It has nothing to do with poverty either.
Re-read my post, I am talking about within the segment you are referring to. No point in being coy, onbiously black males commit a disproportionate amount of crime unless those links show things I have never seen before. I cant even pull them up on this phone. My point though is someone cant just claim it is due to race without looking at all the other factors such as poverty, education, a racist criminal justice system and laws, the lack of a level playing field as far as opportunities to advance their socio-economic standing, etc. Yes culturally they have some blame as the breakdown of the family unit is killing their communities. But again, compare like demographics and you will get like results. Race isnt a cause it is simply an indicator because of other factors

“This planet is”

Since: Jun 12

wonderfull

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2012

Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know the specifics, the mechanics or the details of how he does it. What I do know is when he does it's amazing and its wonderful. But to answer the specifics? That would be almost the equivalent of a cosmologist explaining how an infinite density and temperature phase occurred towards the instant of the Big Bang.
Both God and the Big Bang are quite possibly too much of an indescribable event for our human comprehension to make heads or tails.out of it Kit.
Trying to describe either in words we could grasp simply leads to speculation.
How'd he do it? I don't honestly know.
You do not know because 'he' doesn't exist. The big bang is not an infinite event which means it is possible for a human to understand. Time is infinte which is why it is impossible for us to understand. God is describable beacause it was created in the mind of a human.

“There is no such thing”

as a reasonable person

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2012

Judged:

Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Re-read my post, I am talking about within the segment you are referring to. No point in being coy, onbiously black males commit a disproportionate amount of crime unless those links show things I have never seen before. I cant even pull them up on this phone. My point though is someone cant just claim it is due to race without looking at all the other factors such as poverty, education, a racist criminal justice system and laws, the lack of a level playing field as far as opportunities to advance their socio-economic standing, etc. Yes culturally they have some blame as the breakdown of the family unit is killing their communities. But again, compare like demographics and you will get like results. Race isnt a cause it is simply an indicator because of other factors
It is not race either. It is police. Police commit more crimes per capita than the entire American population. Especially assaults and sexual assaults. Like I said look at the link.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2012

Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>Police commit more crimes per capita than the entire American population.
Ah..yeah this phone wont let me pull up pages that big. I didnt know you were looking at stats by profession. I do know that by demographic you will find black males between 18-45 yrs old to be higher proportionally than any other segment of people. But I am glad u werent pointing to race for the reasons listed in my last post. As for profession, one that gives that range of authority and power over everyone obviously has its pitfalls. It is not often someone making 30k can affect someone making 3 billion. Add to it the temptation for corruption, the phychological factors that draw some towards the profession and the potential for both desensitivity,abuse of power, and the chance to get away with crime and it no surprise police end up w/ the attitude they can take what they want and that they are above the law. Thx for the info (T)Peace

“There is no such thing”

as a reasonable person

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2012

Judged:

Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Ah..yeah this phone wont let me pull up pages that big. I didnt know you were looking at stats by profession. I do know that by demographic you will find black males between 18-45 yrs old to be higher proportionally than any other segment of people. But I am glad u werent pointing to race for the reasons listed in my last post. As for profession, one that gives that range of authority and power over everyone obviously has its pitfalls. It is not often someone making 30k can affect someone making 3 billion. Add to it the temptation for corruption, the phychological factors that draw some towards the profession and the potential for both desensitivity,abuse of power, and the chance to get away with crime and it no surprise police end up w/ the attitude they can take what they want and that they are above the law. Thx for the info (T)Peace
That is not even by profession , it is in general. Yeah, there map freezes my browser because my flash is not up to date on this Computer. But the info is staggering.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2012

Judged:

Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>Want to know who really commits a disproportionate amount of the crime in the U.S? FYI: Religion has little to do with it.
Ironically, this could have been predicted to the letter easily. The steep decline in criminal activity starting in the 80's was caused by a social change in the US, since the decline in criminals is so drastic the crimes committed by the few bad police officers became a majority very quickly, because their crimes are connected with their jobs and not social interactions it would not be effected by the same social change that caused the decline in other crime. Not that they are justified, only that now we can focus on them.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2012

Judged:

Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>??.......of course there are. A high majority of the country claims Christianty as its religion. How could there not be? And poverty is the main factor behind crime, not what someone's religious beliefs are. Let me try to explain this. A vast majority of this country is of people between 5feet8inches and 6feet1inches.But do you think I would be right if I said height was a main indicator of who will be a criminal? Most criminals would be in that range, as would most Americans but I could point to it and say "see most immoral criminals are taller than 5'8" so clearly their height is why they commit crimes" With all due respect you don't understand the underlying factors for crime or the difference between those and coincidences or irrelevant shared traits
So, anyone can be a christian ... unless they're a criminal?

Jesus was a criminal, in your own mythology. I think you really need to stop covering your ears when you hear that the largest population in the prisons in prison, it's that way for the same reason there are poor christians in the US.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2012

Mirror Mirror Face wrote:
the Bible was not written for you, but for God's children
Traps are dug for whomever can be enticed to fall in them. The bible was written for those that could be made to believe it. That's you, not me.
what you interpret is irrelevant.
Then I can't help you.

Your bible is not a message from any god. It contains the superstitions and other false beliefs of ancients that thought that bats were birds, the earth was flat, and that pi was three.

“There is no such thing”

as a reasonable person

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2012

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Ironically, this could have been predicted to the letter easily. The steep decline in criminal activity starting in the 80's was caused by a social change in the US, since the decline in criminals is so drastic the crimes committed by the few bad police officers became a majority very quickly, because their crimes are connected with their jobs and not social interactions it would not be effected by the same social change that caused the decline in other crime. Not that they are justified, only that now we can focus on them.
Few bad police? I am sorry but if the "good" police know what the bad police are doing and they do nothing about then they are bad police as well.
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-lapd-...
http://www.copblock.org/22146/mpd-cop-charged...
http://www.courthousenews.com/2012/10/01/5083...
Down play it all you want but, when they can do no-knock raids on wrong addresses, pepper spray 6 year olds, put cameras in your home and gps trackers on your car with out warrants and kill unarmed people with out repercussion then there is something seriously wrong.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2012

Judged:

They are always blaming their lousy lives and sicknesses on a God who they say does not exist.
Not me. I blame Batman.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2012

scambuster wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm kind of sad that you nitpicked over your grammer rather than your utter lack of compassion for your fellow man.
He cares about saving his soul from torture. To do that, he'll hate whatever he thinks his god hates.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2012

Skombolis wrote:
Regardless of their specific faith, most people believe there is a higher power or God.
These people can't agree among themselves what that power is or is like. That's what tells you that it is a psychological imperative for them, like loving a parent. There are also many different kinds of parents that are loved. It's a survival instinct.

That instinctual god need had been artificially selected for by man for millennia. Those without it were sacrificed as heretics.

That changed with the replacement of medieval theocracies and their witch burnings and inquisitions by modern secular democracies. Now, we skeptics are only subject to social pressure like the occasional car keying, business boycotting, or pet beheading. As a result, the religious instinct is becoming much less common in the general population.
Skombolis wrote:
But as far as man, many are open to the possibilty there may be intelligent life elsewhere in the cosmos. Of course there may not be in which case in which case you'd feel man is the highest form of intelligence in all of existance? Im assuming ur answer would still be yes. I just cant see a species that came up with Honey Boo Boo being the smartest the universe and all of existance has to offer. JMO.(T) PEACE
I don't see the point of this. How does it relate to gods?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 19 min River Tam 225,655
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 33 min Liam 537,127
Hot gays in Abu Dhabi (Nov '13) 39 min khalid 667
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 41 min andet1987 5,341
Best Hotel for Exhibitonist/voyeur 55 min andet1987 2
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 1 hr UidiotRaceMAkeWor... 172,954
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 1 hr andet1987 4,255
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr AussieBobby 259,310
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 6 hr Tim Osman 117,803
Have any girls on here had sex with a dog??? (Feb '12) 13 hr andet1987 76

Search the Top Stories Forum:
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••