Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2012

It aint necessarily so wrote:
Studied? What's so hard about interpreting our bible?

[1] "In the beginning ..." = "Once upon a time ..."

[2] "Amen." = "And they lived happily ever after."
Thanks for showing what I mean about studying the Bible.

Again, you got it all wrong.
Henry

Gräfentonna, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2012

<quoted text>
Why must it always be personal for you? Do I insult you or even discuss you personally? No. As personal as I get with you is to share dog data and tell you a joke.
I had called you on this behavior once or twice before, and forgiven you thereafter. But it's obviously a habit of thought with you, and won't end. So be it. I take it as permission to go further with you, and I will.
I see this as a character deficiency in you, one I see in most Christians. If one criticizes their god or religion, they swarm like hornets. I don't blame you beyond your capitulation to faith. This behavior is implicit in your church's instruction and example.
Your church builds small people. We can do better without it.
Now, do you want to behave civilly, or continue in this manner? I won't tolerate your insolence. And I think that I can defeat you in any battle. Your choice, Christian.
Sorry, but there is not even any god at all!

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2012

Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, but there is not even any god at all!
Sorry, but there is a God. Of course.
Henry

Gräfentonna, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2012

<quoted text>
Why must it always be personal for you? Do I insult you or even discuss you personally? No. As personal as I get with you is to share dog data and tell you a joke.
I had called you on this behavior once or twice before, and forgiven you thereafter. But it's obviously a habit of thought with you, and won't end. So be it. I take it as permission to go further with you, and I will.
I see this as a character deficiency in you, one I see in most Christians. If one criticizes their god or religion, they swarm like hornets. I don't blame you beyond your capitulation to faith. This behavior is implicit in your church's instruction and example.
Your church builds small people. We can do better without it.
Now, do you want to behave civilly, or continue in this manner? I won't tolerate your insolence. And I think that I can defeat you in any battle. Your choice, Christian.
You should jump about your own border to be free of any (nonexisting) god!
Henry

Gräfentonna, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2012

<quoted text>
Magic is as descriptive as the bible on the matter. How does your god do what he does that is better described in other words? Are there forces or laws at work? If so, please describe them, and how you know about them.
For all we are told about it, your god might fold his arms in the horizontal and twitches his nose like Jeannie. Or like this witch : https://www.youtube.com/watch... [four second video]
Why should a god anything do? Anything is just imagination nothing else. So let this "spaghettimonster" rest in peace!

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Just because something is told in an allegorical way doesn't mean it's not true...
It means that it's fiction. From Wiki: "Allegory is a device in which characters or events represent or symbolize ideas and concepts."

Allegory is the indirect expression of a position or opinion. If can't be true or false.

"One of the best known examples is Plato's "The Allegory of the Cave". In this allegory, there are a group of people who have lived chained to the wall of a cave all of their lives, facing a blank wall. The people watch shadows projected on the wall by things passing in front of a fire behind them, and begin to ascribe forms to these shadows. According to the allegory, the shadows are as close as the prisoners get to viewing reality."

This is Plato's opinion in allegory. It is a fiction representing Plato's understanding of how the mind relates to the reality outside of it. neither true nor false.

Aesop's fables are also allegory. The characters are fictions, and the moral lessons that they intend to impart are neither true nor false.

The claims in the bible are presented as historical fact, and huge swaths of them have been falsified. The creation myth is presented as historical fact. So is the Garden story. Adam and Eve are presented as historical figures, not allegories for early man. So are Abraham and Moses. So are the flood, the Egyptian captivity, the plagues, the Exodus, the burning bush, and the conquest of Jericho. None of them are factual, and none were written as allegory. A flat earth is not an allegory for a spherical earth. It is merely an error.

And until modernity, you questioned the literal truth of the bible under peril of death by stoning, burning, impaling, stretching and/or being twisted to death.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2012

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Telling people they shouldn't even covet or lust for that buxom young neighbor, is like telling somebody not to think of a pink elephant.
The reason people give into temptation is because it is easy to do.

Of course it is harder to do the right thing

But should a moral code be built on what is easiest or what is right?
Henry

Gräfentonna, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2012

<quoted text>
Of course that's how it works. You all do it. Aren't many if not most of you people calling the creation myths an allegory these days? That's biblical revisionism. You did that at your own peril in the days before science embarrassed your church and our bible.
Science is the death of any religion!
Henry

Gräfentonna, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2012

<quoted text>
Studied? What's so hard about interpreting our bible?
[1] "In the beginning ..." = "Once upon a time ..."
[2] "Amen." = "And they lived happily ever after."
Everything in between is the part with the witches, behemoths, great fish, leviathans, talking snakes satyrs, dragons, cockatrices, unicorns and giants.
There's even a talking ass.
The bible is anything like scientific!
Henry

Gräfentonna, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2012

Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>In which case, we can all agree that the story of Genesis-Solomon- Moses were all allegories and not real. Correct?
What else than fairy tales!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2012

<quoted text>
Why? I think the former makes more sense. If the former is unlikely, the latter is perforce essentially impossible. I just said: specks and blind, impotent, mortal cells can exist without an intelligent designer with far less difficulty that an immortal, infinite, sentient, omniscient, omnipotent moral creature.
You can ignore that again - I already said it once, and you simply repeated your same claim without addressing this huge hurdle - but the hurdle will not go away simply because you prefer a god to no god.
You state your opinion as if it is fact and then say I have essentially ignored that fact. I disagree with your assertion.At the end of the day there are two choices, that a vast, working universe with anatomically matching creatures for reproduction and moon and stars and gravitational pill and proximity to a sun and etc, etc, etc all just happened by chance where it was incredibly fortuitous for us everything fell into proper place or it was the result of an intelligence force guiding it. I believe the latter.

What makes you think cells or specks can exist without a designer with far less difficulty? For starters you don't know that they do. And why would it be easier for them to exist because they were not the result of God? Perhaps I need you to clarity your statement because I am not following your point.It seems the only argument against a creator verses everything just luckily by chance turning into a working galaxy complete with self-replicating life forms and God is the argument well God would need a creator. I say, says who? Time and space always existed, why not God? There are some things that could have always existed. Mortals aren't one of them. And evolution without God as the driving force would be easier to accept if there also wasn't an entire galaxy and solar system behind it.That can't be fluke IMO

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2012

<quoted text>
It means that it's fiction. From Wiki: "Allegory is a device in which characters or events represent or symbolize ideas and concepts."
That doesn't mean fiction. Again....
And until modernity, you questioned the literal truth of the bible under peril of death by stoning, burning, impaling, stretching and/or being twisted to death.
What did "I" question? Sorry, you've got the wrong Christian. I've never stoned anyone to death.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2012

Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
Science is the death of any religion!
Why are you so afraid?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2012

"One of the best known examples is Plato's "The Allegory of the Cave".
This is Plato's opinion in allegory. It is a fiction representing Plato's understanding of how the mind relates to the reality outside of it. neither true nor false.
Aesop's fables are also allegory. The characters are fictions, and the moral lessons that they intend to impart are neither true nor false.
Yes but those tales are told as fictitious and told completely as allegory.

Whereas the Bible is told as truth, and only some of it is told as allegory.

Look, I know you hate Christianity and organized religions in general, but twisting fact & adding fiction doesn't make your opinion any stronger OR more valid....

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2012

Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
The bible is anything like scientific!
Well shit, henry... With an argument like that you just might convert some people.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2012

What's "GOD"? That term is ambiguous. Do you mean your god, Jehovah-Jesus?
I suspect that man's instinct to obey a father figure accounts for the willingness to believe in a god. All it takes is for a mythology to arise and a priesthood to inculcate it for organized religion to arise.
While man may lay different claims, there is general agreement in one principle and that is there is a higher power, most commonly referred to as God.

But do you really believe man is the highest form of intelligent life in the universe? I am not asking if it is possible some day we may find intelligent life elsewhere that may whatever standards maybe considered smarter than humans.

I am talking about right now and what in think. In a universe with supernovas, neutron stars, black holes, quasars, planets, starts, moons, asteroids, etc as all part of a working universe that has created and sustained hundreds of thousands of self-replications species; do you believe as of now we have no reason to believe man isn;t the most intelligent being in the universe? In your opinion?

“talk to the kitteh”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2012

Judged:

Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>Magic is magic. No playing favorites now or else the tooth fairie will get you.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31fg00r...
I'm thinking putting teeth under a kid's pillow should be discouraged.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don 't_Be_Afraid_of_the_Dark_(2011 _film)

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2012

<quoted text>
Allegory is the indirect expression of a position or opinion. If can't be true or false.
"One of the best known examples is Plato's "The Allegory of the Cave". In this allegory, there are a group of people who have lived chained to the wall of a cave all of their lives, facing a blank wall. The people watch shadows projected on the wall by things passing in front of a fire behind them, and begin to ascribe forms to these shadows. According to the allegory, the shadows are as close as the prisoners get to viewing reality."
The claims in the bible are presented as historical fact, and huge swaths of them have been falsified. The creation myth is presented as historical fact. So is the Garden story. Adam and Eve are presented as historical figures, not allegories for early man. So are Abraham and Moses. So are the flood, the Egyptian captivity, the plagues, the Exodus, the burning bush, and the conquest of Jericho. None of them are factual, and none were written as allegory. A flat earth is not an allegory for a spherical earth. It is merely an error.
Either that or the abrahamic faiths are built on the traditions of sorcery and magick, beginning with Abrum's teacher Melchizedek(who many consider to be both "god and jesus").

“I write too fast”

Since: Mar 11

Hurry up!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
How do I type a loud laugh?
ROTFLMMFGDAOOOOOOOOO!!!!
He (?) ain't right about nothin in the Bible,
No, IANS is correct about the Bible.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2012

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Does "covet another man's wife" not mean "lust after her" but include some kind of violence and/or unkindness? If not, I have no problems with it.
Sure, that's nice about love and all. I still have great problems with the concept of sin and the Biblical proclamation against homosexuals - it is clearly used and, in your argument, abused by many. So why not remove it? If your deity is all loving, remove the OT, take out the ridiculous requirements of hell for nonbelievers and "sinners," etc. Make it a religion of love.
Right now it just uses Orwellian doublespeak about love; a pretense and nothing more.
The thing is we aren't allowed to just snip here and snip there until we get the Bible we like

I am well aware many people do that anyway

Hey if it was up to me pre-marital sex would be fine and I could beat the crap out of anyone that wanted to solve a dispute that way. I don't think either things are immoral based on my moral code. But I defer to God in these instances, at least so far as knowing it is a sin

I personally don't care one way or the other who is gay. But it really should make no difference if it is a sin.insofar as any societal effect or prejudice because I don't know a single person who doesn't still sin. Could you imagine if a church tried to deny someone communion because the person was known to have told a lie or slept with their girlfriend before marriage? They would be the laughing stock of the faith.yet this has been done to people who are gay.

I guess my point is that removing, even if we had the option which we don't, would change nothing. I promise you at least 99.9% of all bigots were not like "well I wasn't sure how I felt until I saw the Bible says it was wrong". They were bigots well before and if they didn't use God as a reason they would just use society or family values or morality or any number of rationalizations to perpetuate their hate.

(T) Peace

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

445 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 min USA Born 533,551
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 6 min GOD 256,961
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 12 min Catcher1 172,543
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 16 min bacon hater 93,838
00971569470225 Body to body massage in Abudhabi 21 min Alice 0563303677 19
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 22 min Buck Crick 224,604
GMO foods and you! 32 min andet1987 3
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 1 hr ThatOneBand 115,592
Does anyone do incest sex with your sister (Apr '12) 3 hr nightgown 123
Sims 4 Key Generator (Oct '13) 7 hr reree 86
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000