“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#559096 Nov 5, 2012
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>and you are telling me this why? Is it because you agree that wiccans are trendy rejects that can't let go of the 90's?
Meh, christians are trendy rejects who can't let go of the 100's, at least the wiccans are more up to date.

“Michin yeoja”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#559097 Nov 5, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Yah.
The only difference between a "cult" and a "religion" is the amount of rust.
Oh, so that brown stuff is rust? I thought it was BS.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#559098 Nov 5, 2012
dnky oe wrote:
the different seasons, caused by how far and how close the earth gets to the sun.
This part is wrong.

The seasons are caused by the earth's axialtilt, the angle by which its axis deviates from the perpendicular to the plane in which it orbits the sun. Thus, the north pole tilts toward the sun in one part of the orbit, and on the other side, six months later, the north pole will be tilting away from it as the south pole tilts toward it.

The earth orbits the sun in an ellipse, with the sun at one of its foci. This means that the earth is closest to the sun once a year. It turns out that the south pole is pointing at the sun at this time, and getting its maximal sun exposure. This is summer for the southern hemisphere. The northern hemisphere gets its fullest sun six months later when the earth is as far from the sun as possible - its summer. Thus the seasons depend on the tilt, and NOT the distance from the sun. If you live in the northern hemisphere, your summer comes when the earth is furthest from the sun, not closest.

This illustration is labeled from a northern hemispheric perspective: http://oceanworld.tamu.edu/resources/ocng_tex... Note that when the earth is closest to the sun, it is winter in the northern hemisphere because the north pole is tiled away from the sun. That is the southern hemisphere's summer.

Thus, distance from the sun is not as important a factor as the angle and direction of the earth's axial tilt.

Interestingly, the angle of the axial tilt, presently 23.44 from perpendicular varies between 22.1 degrees at its minimum to 24.5 degrees at the maximum over a 41,000 year cycle. The more upright the earth, the less extreme the seasons.

Furthermore, at the same time, the earth is precessing like a top over a 26,000 year cycle, which moves the date of the solstice (see precession of the equinoxes). In 13,000 years, the earth's north pole will no longer be pointing at the northern star (polaris), and summer will occur for the northern hemisphere when it is closest ti the sun, not furthest as is the case presently. http://ancientegypt.hypermart.net/royalarch/

And believe it or not, both the orientation of the earth's elliptical orbit and its degree of eccentricity - its departure from perfect circularity - also cycle.

The first of these is called the earth's anomalistic precession, or advancing of the perihelion. http://www.daviddarling.info/images/perihelio... This cycle occurs over about 112,000 years.

The eccentricity of the earth's orbit varies from a minimum of .0034 (zero means perfect circularity) to a maximum of 0.0580 (mean eccentricity is 0.0280) and back again over a period of 413,000 years.

Who knew, huh?

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#559099 Nov 5, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I never really got close enough to find out myself.

Fennario

#559100 Nov 5, 2012
En Sabah Nur wrote:
Religion and faith in whatever god does not guarantee anyone's safety or trust, etc.
Then why worship?

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#559101 Nov 5, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Meh, christians are trendy rejects who can't let go of the 100's, at least the wiccans are more up to date.
Magic is magic. No playing favorites now or else the tooth fairie will get you.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31fg00r...

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#559102 Nov 5, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
In 20 years chritianity will be gone and we'll be trying to show Scientologists that they're idiots, same story, different day.
Oh, joy.

*eye roll*

The Borderland of Sol

#559103 Nov 5, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Sshhh!!

Hi, Browncoat.

“There is no such thing”

as a reasonable person

#559104 Nov 5, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Sshhh!!
Hi, Browncoat.
Ddn't the Browncoats lose?

“Michin yeoja”

Location hidden

#559105 Nov 5, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
In 20 years chritianity will be gone and we'll be trying to show Scientologists that they're idiots, same story, different day.
I think that ship has sailed.

Fennario

#559106 Nov 5, 2012
En Sabah Nur wrote:
3/4ths of people who call themselves Christians are fakes. They wear a mask and proclaim god, but are hiding their true colors.
More than that. Nietzsche said that the last true Christian died on the cross. He was probably exaggerating a skosh, as I'm not sure that Christ even qualifies, since he raged at pharisaical money changers and barren fig trees. But the point is well taken nevertheless.

The Borderland of Sol

#559107 Nov 5, 2012
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>Ddn't the Browncoats lose?
Who told you it was over?

Fennario

#559108 Nov 5, 2012
Resurrectionologist wrote:
If the Christian husband really reads and understands the NT it's pure context, it becomes very clear and simple. The wife is to be loved and protected.
Like a car, huh?
The task of the wife is to nurture the family, while both husband and wife work equally to sustain the family in it's entirety.
What is the difference between sustaining and nurturing? Bringing the man a sammich?

Being a Christian wife is demeaning.

“There is no such thing”

as a reasonable person

#559109 Nov 5, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Who told you it was over?
http://whedonesque.com/comments/25899

“Michin yeoja”

Location hidden

#559110 Nov 5, 2012
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>Ddn't the Browncoats lose?
No.

How can you lose when you have a telepathic, psychopathic, ultimate weapon on your side?

Fennario

#559111 Nov 5, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Yup. That's my boy :)
Nice looking dog.

I have girls - a black lab and a puggle https://www.google.com/search... .

Have you heard this one?:

A man runs into the vet's office carrying his dog, screaming for help.
The vet rushes him back to an examination room and has him put his dog
on the examination table. The vet examines the still, limp body and after a few moments, tells the man that his dog, regrettably, is terminally ill.

The man, clearly agitated and not willing to accept this, demands a
second opinion. The vet goes into the back room and comes out with his cat and puts it down next to the dog's body. The cat sniffs the body, walks from head to tail, poking and sniffing the dog's body and finally looks at the vet and meows.

The vet looks at the man and says, "I'm sorry, but the cat thinks that your dog is terminally ill, too."

The man is still unwilling to accept that his dog is dying. So, the vet brings in his black labrador, who sniffs the body, walks from head to tail, and finally looks at the vet and barks.

The vet looks at the man and says, "I'm sorry, but the lab thinks your dog is dying too."

The man, finally resigned to the diagnosis, thanks the vet and asks
how much he owes. The vet answers, "$650."

"$650 to tell me my dog is dying?" exclaims the man.

"Well," the vet replies, "I would only have charged you $50 for my
initial diagnosis. The additional $600 was for the cat scan and lab tests."

“Michin yeoja”

Location hidden

#559112 Nov 5, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
How can you lose when you have a telepathic, psychopathic, ultimate weapon on your side?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =xwVqW6J4FRcXX
Oh, sorry Christians. I'm sure he's not ultimately psychopathic.

“Michin yeoja”

Location hidden

#559113 Nov 5, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice looking dog.
I have girls - a black lab and a puggle https://www.google.com/search... .
Have you heard this one?:
Have you heard this one?

“There is no such thing”

as a reasonable person

#559115 Nov 5, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =xwVqW6J4FRcXX
That is only because she is really a robot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Fennario

#559116 Nov 5, 2012
The subjects of God and science are compatible
Yes, they are, but you're a few centuries too late in switching gears on this one. Christianity is on an arc to irrelevance, and I do not think that you can stop the momentum of that trajectory in the time remaining before you lose your voice.

Do you understand what I mean by that? The Druids used to call the shots in a time and place long ago and far away. But now, you can't hear them. You might not even have known that they are still around. which is my point.

After pope Urban VIII looked through Galileo's telescope, he had a choice. He could have said, "Look at how marvelous our god is!"

But he didn't. He eventually had Galileo arrested, a short-sighted remedy for a nonexistent problem.

Here it is centuries later - the eleventh hour for Christianity in the West - and the pope finally capitulated and apologized to Galileo's memory. He also embraced evolution.

But nobody cares. It's far too late for that. The Christian church is irrevocably cast in the role of the enemy and opposite of science for at least as long as it takes for that light to dim from view.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 16 min Gordon 227,693
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 16 min confrinting with ... 542,877
Why Im no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 23 min curiouslu 441,339
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 45 min Tealiban Fascists 173,746
Hot gays in Abu Dhabi (Nov '13) 1 hr Roger 874
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr KiMare 95,524
jawan bhanji ki chudai kaise karu (Apr '13) 2 hr raj 37
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 4 hr MUQ1 259,621
Sims 4 Key Generator (Oct '13) 15 hr ms simmer 153

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••