Urvashi

Europe

#559145 Nov 5, 2012
God doesn't exist!!!!Watch 'Ancient Alien' on youtube.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#559146 Nov 5, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed!
In which case, we can all agree that the story of Genesis-Solomon- Moses were all allegories and not real. Correct?

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#559147 Nov 5, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
IANS gets a lot of "first sentences" wrong... I think that's why she misinterprets the Bible so badly.
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't see how. If that god exists, everybody is damned. For starters, it's capricious and it's word is no good.
Second, what business does a moral god have making monsters and torture pits? And why punish sin, or punish it by keeping the sinning soul alive forever to be punished to the benefit of nobody except a sadist? Which sadist?
Third, likes to be worshiped by souls with free will. A third of the angels failed that test already, and given infinite time, all admitted into heaven will eventually rebel. How long do you think you would hold out in heaven with free will? A billion years? A billion billion years? How about that a billion times over? Who can last that long? Maybe one person. Could he do it twice? Ten times? A billion times?
As Woody Allen noted, "Eternity is really long, especially near the end." Eventually, one day, everybody weakens, and like the rebellious angels, will be cast out of heaven into the fire forever without hope of parole.
We should all hope that no such creature exists.
RIGHT ON

100%

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#559148 Nov 5, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
All assumptions are not correct & all assertions are not correct when they don't correspond with the whole text.
To put it bluntly, your assumptions are incorrect. You've twisted the words of the Bible into the meanings that you want. That's not how it works.
the hypocrite prize

handsdown

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#559150 Nov 5, 2012
River Tam wrote:
Did I tell you about the time when I put the Wolf spider under my psychiatrist's coffee cup when he was searching for a book?
When he picked up the cup, the spider dropped in his lap. It was classic. He had to change his clothes. He blamed it on me but I just smiled.
Are you Wednesday Addams?

Fennario

#559151 Nov 5, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Once again, great points.
People who don't even know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon think nothing of what they will do for an eternity.
Woody also said, "I'm not afraid of dying. I just don't want to be there when it happens."
Thanks.

Here's my favorite scene from Woody Allen. It comes out of "Play It Again Sam."

Max - Woody Allen's character - who is newly single, is at an art museum with his best friend's wife in order to meet and maybe pick up some women. They see a young woman standing by herself gazing up at a huge abstract painting. Max decides to approach her with this ice breaker:

MAX : It's quite a lovely Jackson Pollock, isn't it?

YOUNG WOMAN : Yes, it is.

MAX : What does it say to you?

YOUNG WOMAN : It restates the negativeness of the universe. The hideous, lonely emptiness of existence. Nothingness. The predicament of man forced to live in a barren, godless eternity like a tiny flame, flickering in an immense void, with nothing but waste, horror and degradation forming a useless, bleak straight-jacket in a black, absurd cosmos.

MAX : What are you doing Saturday?

YOUNG WOMAN : Committing suicide.

MAX : What about Friday night?

(The look she gives him as she walks away is priceless)

Fennario

#559152 Nov 5, 2012
River Tam wrote:
That's the problem. Why are all the smart people old? I think god should let people live to be 900 or so. What? Apparently, that didn't work out. i guess I'll be on my own for a time ;)
Thanks, I think.

:)

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#559153 Nov 5, 2012
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>In which case, we can all agree that the story of Genesis-Solomon- Moses were all allegories and not real. Correct?
Just because something is told in an allegorical way doesn't mean it's not true...

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#559154 Nov 5, 2012
<quoted text>
Why must it always be personal for you? Do I insult you or even discuss you personally? No. As personal as I get with you is to share dog data and tell you a joke.
I had called you on this behavior once or twice before, and forgiven you thereafter. But it's obviously a habit of thought with you, and won't end. So be it. I take it as permission to go further with you, and I will.
I see this as a character deficiency in you, one I see in most Christians. If one criticizes their god or religion, they swarm like hornets. I don't blame you beyond your capitulation to faith. This behavior is implicit in your church's instruction and example.
Your church builds small people. We can do better without it.
Now, do you want to behave civilly, or continue in this manner? I won't tolerate your insolence. And I think that I can defeat you in any battle. Your choice, Christian.
"insolence"??

"win a battle"????

LMAO! That wasn't a personal attack, sorry you took it that way. I made an observation about you & how you often misinterpret the "first sentence" of shit you read.

So funny, you talk about me attacking, then you say shit like "Your church builds small people. We can do better without it."

Make up your mind.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#559155 Nov 5, 2012
Studied? What's so hard about interpreting our bible?

[1] "In the beginning ..." = "Once upon a time ..."

[2] "Amen." = "And they lived happily ever after."
Thanks for showing what I mean about studying the Bible.

Again, you got it all wrong.
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#559156 Nov 5, 2012
<quoted text>
Why must it always be personal for you? Do I insult you or even discuss you personally? No. As personal as I get with you is to share dog data and tell you a joke.
I had called you on this behavior once or twice before, and forgiven you thereafter. But it's obviously a habit of thought with you, and won't end. So be it. I take it as permission to go further with you, and I will.
I see this as a character deficiency in you, one I see in most Christians. If one criticizes their god or religion, they swarm like hornets. I don't blame you beyond your capitulation to faith. This behavior is implicit in your church's instruction and example.
Now, do you want to behave civilly, or continue in this manner? I won't tolerate your insolence. And I think that I can defeat you in any battle. Your choice, Christian.
Sorry, but there is not even any god at all!

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#559157 Nov 5, 2012
Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, but there is not even any god at all!
Sorry, but there is a God. Of course.
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#559158 Nov 5, 2012
<quoted text>
You should jump about your own border to be free of any (nonexisting) god!
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#559159 Nov 5, 2012
<quoted text>
Magic is as descriptive as the bible on the matter. How does your god do what he does that is better described in other words? Are there forces or laws at work? If so, please describe them, and how you know about them.
For all we are told about it, your god might fold his arms in the horizontal and twitches his nose like Jeannie. Or like this witch : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =nmhpUjIlPY8XX [four second video]
Why should a god anything do? Anything is just imagination nothing else. So let this "spaghettimonster" rest in peace!

Fennario

#559160 Nov 5, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Just because something is told in an allegorical way doesn't mean it's not true...
It means that it's fiction. From Wiki: "Allegory is a device in which characters or events represent or symbolize ideas and concepts."

Allegory is the indirect expression of a position or opinion. If can't be true or false.

"One of the best known examples is Plato's "The Allegory of the Cave". In this allegory, there are a group of people who have lived chained to the wall of a cave all of their lives, facing a blank wall. The people watch shadows projected on the wall by things passing in front of a fire behind them, and begin to ascribe forms to these shadows. According to the allegory, the shadows are as close as the prisoners get to viewing reality."

This is Plato's opinion in allegory. It is a fiction representing Plato's understanding of how the mind relates to the reality outside of it. neither true nor false.

Aesop's fables are also allegory. The characters are fictions, and the moral lessons that they intend to impart are neither true nor false.

The claims in the bible are presented as historical fact, and huge swaths of them have been falsified. The creation myth is presented as historical fact. So is the Garden story. Adam and Eve are presented as historical figures, not allegories for early man. So are Abraham and Moses. So are the flood, the Egyptian captivity, the plagues, the Exodus, the burning bush, and the conquest of Jericho. None of them are factual, and none were written as allegory. A flat earth is not an allegory for a spherical earth. It is merely an error.

And until modernity, you questioned the literal truth of the bible under peril of death by stoning, burning, impaling, stretching and/or being twisted to death.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#559161 Nov 5, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Telling people they shouldn't even covet or lust for that buxom young neighbor, is like telling somebody not to think of a pink elephant.
The reason people give into temptation is because it is easy to do.

Of course it is harder to do the right thing

But should a moral code be built on what is easiest or what is right?
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#559162 Nov 5, 2012
<quoted text>
Of course that's how it works. You all do it. Aren't many if not most of you people calling the creation myths an allegory these days? That's biblical revisionism. You did that at your own peril in the days before science embarrassed your church and our bible.
Science is the death of any religion!
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#559163 Nov 5, 2012
<quoted text>
Studied? What's so hard about interpreting our bible?
[1] "In the beginning ..." = "Once upon a time ..."
[2] "Amen." = "And they lived happily ever after."
Everything in between is the part with the witches, behemoths, great fish, leviathans, talking snakes satyrs, dragons, cockatrices, unicorns and giants.
There's even a talking ass.
The bible is anything like scientific!
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#559164 Nov 5, 2012
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>In which case, we can all agree that the story of Genesis-Solomon- Moses were all allegories and not real. Correct?
What else than fairy tales!

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#559165 Nov 5, 2012
<quoted text>
Why? I think the former makes more sense. If the former is unlikely, the latter is perforce essentially impossible. I just said: specks and blind, impotent, mortal cells can exist without an intelligent designer with far less difficulty that an immortal, infinite, sentient, omniscient, omnipotent moral creature.
You can ignore that again - I already said it once, and you simply repeated your same claim without addressing this huge hurdle - but the hurdle will not go away simply because you prefer a god to no god.
You state your opinion as if it is fact and then say I have essentially ignored that fact. I disagree with your assertion.At the end of the day there are two choices, that a vast, working universe with anatomically matching creatures for reproduction and moon and stars and gravitational pill and proximity to a sun and etc, etc, etc all just happened by chance where it was incredibly fortuitous for us everything fell into proper place or it was the result of an intelligence force guiding it. I believe the latter.

What makes you think cells or specks can exist without a designer with far less difficulty? For starters you don't know that they do. And why would it be easier for them to exist because they were not the result of God? Perhaps I need you to clarity your statement because I am not following your point.It seems the only argument against a creator verses everything just luckily by chance turning into a working galaxy complete with self-replicating life forms and God is the argument well God would need a creator. I say, says who? Time and space always existed, why not God? There are some things that could have always existed. Mortals aren't one of them. And evolution without God as the driving force would be easier to accept if there also wasn't an entire galaxy and solar system behind it.That can't be fluke IMO

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Secrets To Dog Training: Stop Your Dog's Behavi... 19 min Jack Miller 1
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 36 min arabian 5,425
hill climb racing hack last update NOV 2014 39 min hill climb racing 1
hill climb racing hack for android 49 min Hack free 2
Clash of clans hack last updated NOV 2014 1 hr Hack free 1
Moses never existed 1 hr truth 553
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 hr truth 554,868
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 3 hr onemale 263,441
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 4 hr Catcher1 175,040
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 4 hr jjustice0981 603,601

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE