“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#559124 Nov 5, 2012
[QUOTE who="Laconic Assassins"do you think that an atheist who does not drink or smoke at all, is a better person than a Christian who does sometimes?[/QUOTE]

Usually, if the atheist is a humanist rather than an astrologer or a Stalinist.

As you can see from that, atheists come in radically different flavors. "Atheist" is really not a very descriptive word, although it's all the Christian generally cares to know about a freethinker.

In my experience, humanists tend to be better people than Christians. Christians only claim to be moral, but I see not morality in obedience. Morality requires self-actualization, something pretty nearly impossible for somebody that believes that he is sinful flesh being watched and judged 24/7.

If you teach a child such things about itself, and never stop judging it or let it wander from your view, it cannot completely mature, right? It cannot fully develop into the responsible, autonomous individual that is latent in him.

Same with Christians. They can rarely self-actualize under the microscope of an angry, judgmental, capricious, volatile, jealous, and vengeful baby sitter.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#559125 Nov 5, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Did I tell you about the time when I put the Wolf spider under my psychiatrist's coffee cup when he was searching for a book?
When he picked up the cup, the spider dropped in his lap.
It was classic. He had to change his clothes.
He blamed it on me but I just smiled.
That was actually cool. I love spiders, almost as much as I like cats.

It's odd that some people still have the instinct to fear spiders, especially people who pretend to know more about the brain than they do. I think this is irony.

Fennario

#559126 Nov 5, 2012
Laconic Assassins wrote:
your mind has been raped by demons and they do not permit you to think.
Seriously? Look at you. You're mind has been raped, but not by demons. By your priests.
Laconic Assassins wrote:
You have lost your mind, so you stay in the past and yearn for the future, and live not in the present now. You will never find God until you live in the now.
You Christians project to beat the band. It's amazing to see. A Christian has already written of this life. He learns to despise "the world" and his own substance, "the flesh"

"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." - James 1:27

"For what the law was powerless to do because it was weakened by the flesh, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh to be a sin offering. And so he condemned sin in the flesh" -
Romans 8:3

This teaching alienates you from the rest of us, who are proud to be human and alive in this world here and now, and forces your gaze to fix on your promised reward. You are told repeatedly how insignificant this life is compared to the future. Were you unaware of that?

Fennario

#559127 Nov 5, 2012
Orangelion wrote:
<quoted text>
Its not about control, thats just how you feel.
The church is all about control and exploitation. Bishop John Shelby Spong said it best:

"Religion is always in the control business and that's something people don't really understand. It's in the guilt-producing, control business.... and so they create this fiery place which has quite literally scared the hell out of a lot of people throughout christian history. And it's part of a control tactic.

"The church doesn't like for people to grow up, because you can't control grown-ups. That's why we talk about being born again. When you're 'born again' you're still a child. People don't need to be born again, they need to grow up."

Fennario

#559128 Nov 5, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
"Magic" is such an elementary way of explaining God's power. I guess if that makes it easier for you.....
Magic is as descriptive as the bible on the matter. How does your god do what he does that is better described in other words? Are there forces or laws at work? If so, please describe them, and how you know about them.

For all we are told about it, your god might fold his arms in the horizontal and twitches his nose like Jeannie. Or like this witch :
[four second video]

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#559129 Nov 5, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
That was actually cool. I love spiders, almost as much as I like cats.
It's odd that some people still have the instinct to fear spiders, especially people who pretend to know more about the brain than they do. I think this is irony.
It was the inevitable "Don't underestimate me" period in our therapy.

Damn, I miss therapy.

That dude had so much to learn.

Fennario

#559130 Nov 5, 2012
Orangelion wrote:
They obey him because they love him idiot, out of the transformation they love God.
I love my wife, but I don't obey her. Nor does she obey me.

The people I obey, such as law enforcement, I don't love.

Your comment is childlike, which is what I was referring to in a recent post about Christian moral development being stunted as a result of the 24/7 angry baby sitter. I don't feel any love for their god coming from Christians. How can you love something that threatens you with eternal torture for not worshiping it?

Did you ever see the episode of the Twilight Zone with a kid named Anthony played by Billy Mumy of Lost In Space fame, who was relatively omniscient and omnipotent. He could do magic, read minds, and kill people who didn't kiss his behind. Look at this clip. This is the kind of "love" I see Christians demonstrating for their god. It might give you a chill :

Fennario

#559131 Nov 5, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
You read my initial sentence incorrectly. I didn't write "If God exists..." I wrote "If there's a god, and it's got a moral code..."
I wasn't referring to a deity from any religion.
Sorry. I thought that you were referring to Skombolis' god.

Fennario

#559132 Nov 5, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
IANS gets a lot of "first sentences" wrong... I think that's why she misinterprets the Bible so badly.
Why must it always be personal for you? Do I insult you or even discuss you personally? No. As personal as I get with you is to share dog data and tell you a joke.

I had called you on this behavior once or twice before, and forgiven you thereafter. But it's obviously a habit of thought with you, and won't end. So be it. I take it as permission to go further with you, and I will.

I see this as a character deficiency in you, one I see in most Christians. If one criticizes their god or religion, they swarm like hornets. I don't blame you beyond your capitulation to faith. This behavior is implicit in your church's instruction and example.

Your church builds small people. We can do better without it.

Now, do you want to behave civilly, or continue in this manner? I won't tolerate your insolence. And I think that I can defeat you in any battle. Your choice, Christian.

Fennario

#559133 Nov 5, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
Nah. He's [IANS] correct about the Bible.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
How do I type a loud laugh?
Just type "hee" and "haw" :
[video of four-legged braying jackass].

Fennario

#559134 Nov 5, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess you're the type of ignorant ass that thinks the Bible can simply be read.....
It has to be studied, not just read. Keep to your Hairy Pooter books, those are meant to be read.
You said the Bible says many times, ""Those who deny this are evil and wrong and should be put to death", yet you can't find ONE excerpt of that phrase.....
huh
I'm also gonna assume that you're too cocky & blind to admit an err.
Studied? What's so hard about interpreting our bible?

[1] "In the beginning ..." = "Once upon a time ..."
[2] "Amen." = "And they lived happily ever after."

Everything in between is the part with the witches, behemoths, great fish, leviathans, talking snakes satyrs, dragons, cockatrices, unicorns and giants.

There's even a talking ass.

Fennario

#559135 Nov 5, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So then, interpretation it is. Consider what would happen if we left everything for interpretation. Perhaps you can interpret that sign which says "high voltage, do not touch" to mean it's a dare. Or you will interpret the sign that says "falling rocks" as a command instead of a warning and toss heavy boulders onto passing cars.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_2GOp00WR4XM/TMdszub... [image of sign]

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#559136 Nov 5, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Studied? What's so hard about interpreting our bible?
[1] "In the beginning ..." = "Once upon a time ..."
[2] "Amen." = "And they lived happily ever after."
Everything in between is the part with the witches, behemoths, great fish, leviathans, talking snakes satyrs, dragons, cockatrices, unicorns and giants.
There's even a talking ass.
Hey! I have a talking ass. Well sometimes, if i eat too many beans.

Fennario

#559137 Nov 5, 2012
[QUOTE who="RiversideRedneck "You've twisted the words of the Bible into the meanings that you want. That's not how it works.[/QUOTE]

Of course that's how it works. You all do it. Aren't many if not most of you people calling the creation myths an allegory these days? That's biblical revisionism. You did that at your own peril in the days before science embarrassed your church and our bible.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#559138 Nov 5, 2012
<quoted text>
I don't see how. If that god exists, everybody is damned. For starters, it's capricious and it's word is no good.
Second, what business does a moral god have making monsters and torture pits? And why punish sin, or punish it by keeping the sinning soul alive forever to be punished to the benefit of nobody except a sadist? Which sadist?
Third, likes to be worshiped by souls with free will. A third of the angels failed that test already, and given infinite time, all admitted into heaven will eventually rebel. How long do you think you would hold out in heaven with free will? A billion years? A billion billion years? How about that a billion times over? Who can last that long? Maybe one person. Could he do it twice? Ten times? A billion times?
As Woody Allen noted, "Eternity is really long, especially near the end." Eventually, one day, everybody weakens, and like the rebellious angels, will be cast out of heaven into the fire forever without hope of parole.
We should all hope that no such creature exists.
Once again, great points.

People who don't even know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon think nothing of what they will do for an eternity.

Woody also said, "I'm not afraid of dying. I just don't want to be there when it happens."

Fennario

#559139 Nov 5, 2012
River Tam wrote:
Have you heard this one?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =npjOSLCR2hEXX
Yes, I'd seen that sketch, but thanks for resurrecting it.

You know a lot about the pop culture of an older era for a nineteen year old. I can't say that I did when I was nineteen. Sure, I knew some of the history of the thirties and forties (I was born in the mid fifties), but not too much of the music, slang, movies - the pop culture. We knew their comic book heroes like Superman and Archie, and some old comedy acts like Laurel and Hardy and The Little Rascals. And most of their animated cartoons persisted, such as Popeye and Bugs Bunny.

But mostly, none of knew any big band music, or could name any Trevor Howard or Barbara Stanwyck movies - our parents' thing.

So, here's to your generation.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#559140 Nov 5, 2012
<quoted text>
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_2GOp00WR4XM/TMdszub... [image of sign]
Let's eat, grandma.

Let's eat grandma.

Fennario

#559141 Nov 5, 2012
Rose THeodors wrote:
<quoted text>You're right, sorry gay atheists, all gays are ultimately psychopathic. You are not alone. It is not your fault, it is not you, it is the gay condition. IN your evolution world, after 200,000 years, only 10 countries have same sex marriage, no one has voted for it, and only less than 90% of humans accept homosexual deviancy as a part of social construct.
There was a poster on these threads a few years back who told us that he was a gay vegetarian atheist. He posted that he got the most grief for being a vegetarian. According to him, people were more tolerant of his atheism and his sexuality than they were of his choice not to eat certain foods.

Is that even believable? He sure seemed sincere. And he ought to know.

How do you feel about him? Which part of him do you hate the most?

Location hidden

#559142 Nov 5, 2012
<quoted text>
Yes, I'd seen that sketch, but thanks for resurrecting it.
You know a lot about the pop culture of an older era for a nineteen year old. I can't say that I did when I was nineteen. Sure, I knew some of the history of the thirties and forties (I was born in the mid fifties), but not too much of the music, slang, movies - the pop culture. We knew their comic book heroes like Superman and Archie, and some old comedy acts like Laurel and Hardy and The Little Rascals. And most of their animated cartoons persisted, such as Popeye and Bugs Bunny.
But mostly, none of knew any big band music, or could name any Trevor Howard or Barbara Stanwyck movies - our parents' thing.
So, here's to your generation.
I'm not nearly normal :)

&fe ature=endscreen

Location hidden

#559144 Nov 5, 2012
<quoted text>
(I was born in the mid fifties).
That's the problem. Why are all the smart people old?

I think god should let people live to be 900 or so. What?

Apparently, that didn't work out.

i guess I'll be on my own for a time ;)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 min marge 560,367
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 5 min lovewithin 39,370
2003 Silverado 2500HD REDUCED ENGINE POWER (Dec '09) 20 min HIGh ya 132
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 25 min senthil 5,525
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 1 hr yon 4,875
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 2 hr neizak 119,688
Thousands march in Holocaust memorial (Apr '06) 2 hr zzzzzzzzzzzzzz 40
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 hr Rick in Kansas 265,417
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 2 hr mike 605,310
Why Iím no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 10 hr Kaitlin the Wolf ... 441,810
More from around the web