Comments
530,761 - 530,780 of 732,742 Comments Last updated 5 min ago

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#558876 Nov 3, 2012
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Wow that was about as desperate of an attempt to start a fight as I have seen on Topix. For starters I have made my views on bigotry known. Secondly coveting your neighbors wife is hardly a referendum on marriage, the point is the sinful thoughts to want to violate another's union. And divorce is unacceptable in God's eyes except in the case of adulltary.We apply tons of verses to both genders even though it may be about a single person or a man because that is how an individual is to apply the Bible to him or herself. But if it makes you happy you should ot covet your neighbors spouse
So divorce is OK for adultery, but if your spouse beats the living crap out of you and abuses you for years, no, your god says you have to work it out.

How, by praying for mercy?

“Michin yeoja”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#558877 Nov 3, 2012
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Wow that was about as desperate of an attempt to start a fight as I have seen on Topix.
No it's not and you know that.

How does a marriage become a union? Is it civil law or a god's law? Is one greater than the other? Is it OK to stay married because your god thinks it's best? Death comes to all of us. Is it better to suffer in life to appease what happens in death? It seems a bit silly to me.

Pick it up, dust it off and carrion.

Since: Nov 12

Martin, TN

#558878 Nov 3, 2012
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." --- Mahatma Gandhi

“Michin yeoja”

Location hidden

#558879 Nov 3, 2012
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>I wish they could also hit you with a college degree. You probably don't believe in that either;)
Am I getting under your skin yet?

:-)

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#558880 Nov 3, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
So divorce is OK for adultery, but if your spouse beats the living crap out of you and abuses you for years, no, your god says you have to work it out.
How, by praying for mercy?
No you can physically leave him. Some churches will grant annulments in these cases. But if someone gets married in the church then presumably they did so because they agree with their teachings. Maybe they shouldnt have married a wife-beater as that stuff doesnt just suddenly happen normally. But nothing is preventing the woman from leaving. Yet strangely many dont.

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#558881 Nov 3, 2012
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>So thats why you dont believe in God?And I never claimed to have a perfect understanding. Hey do you still think man never had a beginning and rejject abiogenesis and the possibility of intelligent life on other planets? And have you informed the scientific community they no longer need to try to discover anything any more since if it existed science would already have proof of it?
you argue with your own strawman

Location hidden

#558882 Nov 3, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
No it's not and you know that.
How does a marriage become a union? Is it civil law or a god's law? Is one greater than the other? Is it OK to stay married because your god thinks it's best? Death comes to all of us. Is it better to suffer in life to appease what happens in death? It seems a bit silly to me.
Pick it up, dust it off and carrion.
I have no idea what you are talking about. I realize there is no practical reason for typing slow so instead I am going to suggest you read this slowly. The point behind not coveting is someone shouldnt want to sleep with a person that is already commited to someone else. How you keep making it about marriage is beyond me.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#558883 Nov 3, 2012
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
that is silly
all social species possess morality
They do?

Okay, explain this to me and tell me how it's "moral:"

Lions are a social species. Of all the big cats, they are the only ones who continue to live in a family based unit known as a pride.

When lions hunt, they do so by ambush. They usually target a weak member of the herd. How is it moral to target a weak member of a group and then ambush that creature for the purpose of eating it?

If it's not immoral, it's instinct.

If it's not instinct, it's immoral.

Right?

Location hidden

#558884 Nov 3, 2012
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>I wish they could also hit you with a college degree. You probably don't believe in that either;)
usually a college degree cures religitardism

Location hidden

#558885 Nov 3, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Am I getting under your skin yet?
:-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =NbxqtbqyoRkXX
Nah I got pretty thick skin. Not sure why the Fiona Apple video but thank you i guess

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

#558886 Nov 3, 2012
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>It is hard to say. You lack basic reading comprehension so maybe you will get an idiot exception?The point is a child doesnt know better or the difference from right or wrong and therefore cant be helld accountable, especially if they have never heard of Christ in which case they cant reject him. But if you drink paint or try lick an electrical outlet or any other absurdly idiotic way to die before you turn 21 then come back and let me know. Although I definitely was not surprised to learn you are younger than 21
I want an exception because I can't reasonably rely on faith as a methodology for finding the truth. It's functionally the same as guessing.

If there is a real god, and it's not the one you believe in, don't you hope it will excuse your incorrect beliefs? Why aren't you scared of that possibility? Faith? Faith seems to work for everyone who has it, regardless of what they have faith in. So, what is the statistical performance of faith?

Location hidden

#558887 Nov 3, 2012
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
usually a college degree cures religitardism
Is there anything that can exist if science hasnt discovered it yet? I may make that statement of yours my new caption:)

Long Beach, CA

#558888 Nov 3, 2012
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>No you can physically leave him. Some churches will grant annulments in these cases. But if someone gets married in the church then presumably they did so because they agree with their teachings. Maybe they shouldnt have married a wife-beater as that stuff doesnt just suddenly happen normally. But nothing is preventing the woman from leaving. Yet strangely many dont.
It's not strange at all.

The abusive spouse (more likely the male) has total physical and mental/emotional control over the victim spouse. I have seen this over and over in the criminal courts.

The guy is charged criminally for physically abusing the victim, who had fled the home with cuts and bruises all over and had run to the police for protection.

And by the time of trial, the victim will testify that it was all her fault, he didn't start it, she loves him.

Fortunately, juries are seeing through this, and there are convictions despite the victim's attempt to get the guy off (and return to a life of abuse).

“Michin yeoja”

Location hidden

#558889 Nov 3, 2012
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text> Although I definitely was not surprised to learn you are younger than 21
I was definitely not surprised to learn that you are older than 21. It's hard to change isn't it? I'm still using alternating currents and Tesla died almost 70 years ago.

When did Jesus die?

Location hidden

#558890 Nov 3, 2012
Resurrectionologist wrote:
<quoted text>
They do?
Okay, explain this to me and tell me how it's "moral:"
Lions are a social species. Of all the big cats, they are the only ones who continue to live in a family based unit known as a pride.
When lions hunt, they do so by ambush. They usually target a weak member of the herd. How is it moral to target a weak member of a group and then ambush that creature for the purpose of eating it?
If it's not immoral, it's instinct.
If it's not instinct, it's immoral.
Right?
christians target the children and the desperate

the lions are more moral

Long Beach, CA

#558891 Nov 3, 2012
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>I have no idea what you are talking about. I realize there is no practical reason for typing slow so instead I am going to suggest you read this slowly. The point behind not coveting is someone shouldnt want to sleep with a person that is already commited to someone else. How you keep making it about marriage is beyond me.
Telling people they shouldn't even covet or lust for that buxom young neighbor, is like telling somebody not to think of a pink elephant.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#558892 Nov 3, 2012
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>No you can physically leave him. Some churches will grant annulments in these cases. But if someone gets married in the church then presumably they did so because they agree with their teachings. Maybe they shouldnt have married a wife-beater as that stuff doesnt just suddenly happen normally. But nothing is preventing the woman from leaving. Yet strangely many dont.
The Christian man will not beat his wife at all. The Christian man is commanded to love his wife as Jesus loved the church. How much did Jesus love the church? He died for it. He willingly laid down his life. Likewise, the Christian man must be willing to die to protect his wife if need be.

Abuse in the home only exists when the love of Jesus is absent in the home.

“Michin yeoja”

Location hidden

#558893 Nov 3, 2012
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>I have no idea what you are talking about. I realize there is no practical reason for typing slow so instead I am going to suggest you read this slowly. The point behind not coveting is someone shouldnt want to sleep with a person that is already commited to someone else. How you keep making it about marriage is beyond me.
How do you know their committed until somebody tries to sleep with them?

Location hidden

#558894 Nov 3, 2012
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
you argue with your own strawman
I realize stupid people try to impress other stupid people by throwing in terms like strawman when it isnt applicable but still K-man, pretty silly. I am not the one that said if something existed science would already have evidence of it. Have you ever considered we just cant see it? For instance I am betting your saggy old man breasts and gut hang so far over your ..ahem..LITTLE karl that you have no idea its there and cant see it. Does that mean it doesnt exist?

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#558895 Nov 3, 2012
Resurrectionologist wrote:
<quoted text>
The Christian man will not beat his wife at all. The Christian man is commanded to love his wife as Jesus loved the church. How much did Jesus love the church? He died for it. He willingly laid down his life. Likewise, the Christian man must be willing to die to protect his wife if need be.
Abuse in the home only exists when the love of Jesus is absent in the home.
No true Scotsman fallacy, this is new.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 2 min Just TLC 4,330
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 4 min Chareeen Shil 257,854
Hot gays in Abu Dhabi (Nov '13) 57 min Falcon 732
John Holmes(white man)had biggest penis in history (Dec '08) 1 hr Dominick_Fontana 65
Israel's end is near, Ahmadinejad says (Jun '07) 1 hr MUQ1 36,740
Dance Music 1 hr andet1987 7
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr Thinking 226,248
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr Black Thunder 42 599,834
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 hr Oxbow 538,793
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 4 hr bacon hater 94,645
•••
Enter and win $5000

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••