Prove there's a god.

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#558839 Nov 3, 2012
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>I never said there wasnt a hell in the Bible, I said it teaches anniliation of body and soul. Those who go to hell will experience 'second death' or soul-death and will cease to exist. And yes there are some thoughts that are sinful such as envy, lust, anger, etc
Ah. How is that different from a fear motivating manipulation technique?

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#558840 Nov 3, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
And yet these innocent little children sometimes get leukemia.
Nice god you have there.
Or do you have an answer for this one too?
Yes..you are an idiot if you think God gives little kids leukemia. Do you blame him for making you stupid, thus your subsequent unbelief? I rank you just barely above a troll. I think our conversations are probably over

Since: Sep 10

Hermosa Beach, CA

#558841 Nov 3, 2012
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>So thats why you dont believe in God?And I never claimed to have a perfect understanding. Hey do you still think man never had a beginning and rejject abiogenesis and the possibility of intelligent life on other planets? And have you informed the scientific community they no longer need to try to discover anything any more since if it existed science would already have proof of it?
I think supernatural stuff is for children, like the invisible friend sitting with them on the bus seat.

But by age 8 or 9 at the latest, critical thinking should click in and hocus pocus should be left behind.

I believe this would be the natural maturing process, but for enculturation and indoctrination.

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#558842 Nov 3, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Now you're entering into existentialism, the meaning of existence? Why does there have to be a meaning to anything?
purpose and meaning the ingredients to build a god for those slightly more sophisticated than the "but where did it all come from" religitards

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#558843 Nov 3, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, you also hate intelligence.
LOL...Yeah you are just too smart for me

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#558844 Nov 3, 2012
Skombolis wrote:
@Hiding...dont know how i cut off rest of my post about sins of thought. But doesnt your own moral code tell you it is wrong to lust after another man's wife or to want to cheat on your wife or to be jealous of others?You saiid religion created sin to control but only God knows what one thinks and if the idea is to be moral in both thought and deed because it is the right way to live, how is that a negative?
No, my moral code doesn't tell me lust is wrong. It tells me that lust is healthy. Acting on it, without consent of the interested parties, may be wrong in some cultures.

Yes, religion - specifically the Abrahamic ones - invented the concept of "sin." It doesn't exist in other cultures as such. I reject the existence of your deity, so I see no point in basing an argument on its whims. However, your religion is a means of producing and reproducing culture. So your justification of "sin" through the mind of your deity is an example of how "sin" works, how the mechanism of control functions.

As a believer, it's real for you. It actually shapes your behavior and thought processes. In your words above you are solidifying its control over you.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#558845 Nov 3, 2012
Sorry Catcher...didnt see you wrote that..I thought it was from Kitten-kodder. Although still....really? Come on, I expect better from ya than my God gives kids diseases. To think that you would have to believe in him and you dont and I believe in him and dont think that.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#558846 Nov 3, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
No, my moral code doesn't tell me lust is wrong. It tells me that lust is healthy. Acting on it, without consent of the interested parties, may be wrong in some cultures.
Yes, religion - specifically the Abrahamic ones - invented the concept of "sin." It doesn't exist in other cultures as such. I reject the existence of youn its whims. However, your relg and reproducing culture. So your justification of "sin" through the mind of your deity is an example of how "sin" works, how the mechanism of control functions.
As a believer, it's real for you. It actually shapes your behavior and thought processes. In your words above you are solidifying its control over you.
I didnt say lust in general. I was speaking to coveting another man's life. And of course a moral code I respect amd believe in is going to influence me. I allow it to because it advoates such things as love thy neighter and do Unto others as you'd have them do unto you

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#558847 Nov 3, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I think supernatural stuff is for children, like the invisible friend sitting with them on the bus seat.
But by age 8 or 9 at the latest, critical thinking should click in and hocus pocus should be left behind.
I believe this would be the natural maturing process, but for enculturation and indoctrination.
Its a free country

Since: Sep 10

Hermosa Beach, CA

#558849 Nov 3, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
So your god would prefer a believer who leads a so-so life to a nonbeliever who lives a life of honesty, integrity, service and goodness, always showing compassion for her fellow human beings?
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Faithfullness AND obedience is required. The book of John quotes Jesus as saying we can do nothing apart from the father as we are all branches on the same tree. Those that refuse to be obedient are cut off and burned away. Jesus stayed in the Father's love by obedience and so must we be obedient to stay in Christ's love. There are dozens of similiar versus that say basically the same thing as far as why obedience is needed.(T) PEACE
That's reason enough for me to reject the whole Christian thing.

In the unlikely chance that there is a god, it can't possibly be such an unfair creature.

It makes no sense to me--it's just dogma, and unacceptable dogma.

You have drunk the kool-aid. I can't do that. My critical thinking won't allow it.

Since: Sep 10

Hermosa Beach, CA

#558850 Nov 3, 2012
Skombolis wrote:
Sorry Catcher...didnt see you wrote that..I thought it was from Kitten-kodder. Although still....really? Come on, I expect better from ya than my God gives kids diseases. To think that you would have to believe in him and you dont and I believe in him and dont think that.
A decent omnipotent god wouldn't permit that.

If there is a god, it ALLOWS it to happen.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#558851 Nov 3, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah. How is that different from a fear motivating manipulation technique?
The Bible says those who love God will obey him. Nobody is suposed to be obeying just to be rewarded as the motivation is transparent. Where is the fear behind wanting to do what is right?

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#558853 Nov 3, 2012
@Catcher[quote]My critical thinking won't allow it.[quote]Whats unfair about Jesus saying you dont get a free ride simply by believing you must also live your faith (obedience) and live the correct way. Yeah how dare he expect people to follow love your enemy, neighbor, and brother and do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Honestly Catcher I think your problem is you cant believe. And instead of leaving it at that you need to demonize the idea of God so you can pretend thats why you dont believe. God could match your moral code and thoughts 100% and you still wouldnt believe. Thats fine By me, free country and all but dont pretend you are rejecting him based on some moral stand. You just dont believe. why cant u leave it at that w\o the other side having to be ur enemy?

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#558855 Nov 3, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
A decent omnipotent god wouldn't permit that.
If there is a god, it ALLOWS it to happen.
Yes God rarely intervenes imo. A consequence of free will, suceptible bodies, genetics, making this planet an unsfae place to be etc is what makes people sick. There would be nois us even being here or us even having free will if God rigged the outcome
Phred

Medford, OR

#558856 Nov 3, 2012
Rose THeodors wrote:
<quoted text>There is a God. I said it, I wrote it and it is immortalized, so God is. There, proven.
Same goes for flying pigs, too.

Since: Sep 10

Hermosa Beach, CA

#558857 Nov 3, 2012
Skombolis wrote:
@Catcher[quote]My critical thinking won't allow it.[quote]Whats unfair about Jesus saying you dont get a free ride simply by believing you must also live your faith (obedience) and live the correct way. Yeah how dare he expect people to follow love your enemy, neighbor, and brother and do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Honestly Catcher I think your problem is you cant believe. And instead of leaving it at that you need to demonize the idea of God so you can pretend thats why you dont believe. God could match your moral code and thoughts 100% and you still wouldnt believe. Thats fine By me, free country and all but dont pretend you are rejecting him based on some moral stand. You just dont believe. why cant u leave it at that w\o the other side having to be ur enemy?
Skom, I think you are a good and decent person, and I respect you.

I don't believe in ANYTHING supernatural--witches, ghosts, fairies, astrology, gods, step-on-crack-break-mother's-b ack.

It's just my nature. I'm not discriminating against god or gods, but it is part of the supernatural and I find no evidence to support it.

I don't claim a higher moral ground. But faith is not in my nature. That's the divide between you and me, and we're not going to be able to cross it.

This does not mean we can't respect one another. I have great respect for other believers, such as Al Garcia and our long-lost RockStarAwesome. And one of the finest people I have ever come across was a Christian, a chaplain at my undergraduate school.

“What game?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#558858 Nov 3, 2012
Skombolis wrote:
@Hiding...dont know how i cut off rest of my post about sins of thought. But doesnt your own moral code tell you it is wrong to lust after another man's wife or to want to cheat on your wife or to be jealous of others?You saiid religion created sin to control but only God knows what one thinks and if the idea is to be moral in both thought and deed because it is the right way to live, how is that a negative?
What's a wife? OH yeah. Those are the things only heterosexual males can have. How convenient that must be for you. If you don't like the one you have, you can just get rid of her and get another one. Your god is awesome.
Lily the aborter

Phoenix, AZ

#558859 Nov 3, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
And yet these innocent little children sometimes get leukemia.
Nice god you have there.
Or do you have an answer for this one too?
Noooooo Catcher...that is not the way it works. If good things happen, it is because of god. "God gave me the strenth to make it through the bad times"..."God made it rain and saved our crops". If bad things happen, it is because of satan/the devil/ Beelzebub/the evil one/Lucifer/etc. "The devil made him kill those people"..."satan told Patty to push her mom down the stairs".

See if it is good...thank god. If it is bad...blame satan. There has to be a boogey man to blame the bad stuff on. So satan gave those innocent, little children leukemia. And if they go into remission it is because of god's work. That's how it goes in Thumperland.

“What game?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#558860 Nov 3, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
If you want to impress by putting a potato in your pants, it's better to put it in the front.
I tried that. It really doesn't impress lesbians. Front or back.

:-p
Lily the aborter

Phoenix, AZ

#558861 Nov 3, 2012
Rose THeodors wrote:
<quoted text>There is a God. I said it, I wrote it and it is immortalized, so God is. There, proven.
Nope, god doesn't exist. I said it, I wrote it and it is immortalized, so there is no god. There, proven.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 6 min River Tam 92,727
Florya MIELE SERVISI (2I2) 2O2 62 35 - 2O2 62 3... 12 min birimariza 1
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr MUQ2 286,086
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr MUQ2 46,040
Israel End is Near (Feb '15) 1 hr MUQ2 1,101
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 hr truth 667,942
London TV viewers fixed on trump Inaugural process 4 hr truth 7
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 8 hr lisw 183,629
More from around the web