#558621 Nov 3, 2012

****Hurricane SANDY Judgment on Wash DC - NY

&fe ature=plcp

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#558622 Nov 3, 2012
Teez wrote:
if you believe that all that planets, stars, etc., are created by processes that God has nothing to do with, what then is the purpose of a God?
Good question.

Fennario

#558623 Nov 3, 2012
Skombolis wrote:
it is more rational to believe a sentient force that is clearly extremely intelligent was behind the making of such a vast and working universe and not chance where life formed from non-life.
Your argument has a glaring deficiency. Any argument against a singularity or a primordial cell forming without a creator is perforce an even stronger argument against the existence of a god existing by chance.

How much more unlikely is it that an infinite, immortal, sentient, moral, omnipotent, and omniscient being would exist without an intelligent designer than a germ or a speck would?

Yours is the flawed argument commonly offered by those with a psychological urge to believe, but who feel a need to dress it in the language of reason. What belies the sincerity of the argument is the ease with which it is rejected when applied to the god itself. Then, we typically hear that the arguments simply don't apply to the god for whatever reason, a logical fallacy called special pleading.

I call that urge to believe a "god need," and I suspect that it may be an instinct, like the ability to experience humor or beauty, or to learn a first language. It needs to be nurtured and conditioned to flower, but it would never get off the ground if there weren't an inborn affinity for it first. You just can't make a parakeet laugh or worship.

Why don't we all have that instinct? Perhaps we do. That doesn't validate it. I also have an instinct to cheat on my wife. I try to control the instincts that don't serve me well.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#558624 Nov 3, 2012
dnky oe wrote:
<quoted text> So we see these creations of man and but yet we also see things man can barely explain and attribute them chance, though these other creation far surpass mans intellect or understanding. Who would be believe a man threw a bunch of metal, electronics and rubber into a pile and came back sometime later to find a lamborghini. And then believe no one touched that pile.
A rock is not a car.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#558625 Nov 3, 2012
dnky oe wrote:
<quoted text> Alot of these diseases were made from filth and the fact that we are imperfect and so our bodies cant fight off these diseases the way they were originally meant to. And yes there are some mutations within these diseases but these are after the fact. These came from poor living conditions and people living very close to each other but there origins werent off mutation or evolution alone.
Cop-out non-answer. You don't understand them so you just say "god dun it with magicks" and don't even have the courage to admit you don't know.

“wat doet een Doozer doen?”

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#558626 Nov 3, 2012
"Romans 13:1 Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God."

So if romney wins, we should all become mormons?

Fennario

#558627 Nov 3, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
I've been nice and civil for a looooooooong time and then I decided to give back what they've always dished out to me. Funny how it's ok for these idjits to threaten and stalk people but I'm not supposed to mirror their offensive behavior back at them
Have a ball.

People don't suddenly just get tired of being being kind and become the polar opposite because of the content of Topix posts.

I've never known you to be any other way in the two to three years that we have been posting in the same threads. In that time, you have never been friendly to anybody except when you're drunk, and then it's just racy flirting, not kindness.

So, if you've changed, it was before I ran into you. The Sheila I know has always been a curmudgeon - permanently irascible and cantankerous, bellicose and belligerent. You are in permanent rattlesnake mode. I hope it feels better than it sounds.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#558628 Nov 3, 2012
Doozer wrote:
"Romans 13:1 Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God."
So if romney wins, we should all become mormons?
Woohoo! Magical underwear for everyone! Oh, and we get our own planets as well!

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#558629 Nov 3, 2012
the devil runs the world

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#558630 Nov 3, 2012
msjsri wrote:
the devil runs the world
Prove it.

“Truth is beyond wavelength ”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#558632 Nov 3, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm fairly sure the Bible was "dissed" long before we got here. Even the British dude couldn't get it translated into English. How many different versions are there?
Shore up the walls and figure it out. If there is a higher power, do you think it gives two shits about you?
Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and go about your business. Die when it's your time.
I don't think a higher power would 'care' but I would like to think it can do just about anything; I mean I like to think a higher power just 'is' and doesn't want anything, but I also think that we, players in this illusionary existence, can trace our consciousness and 'will' to something greater than us.

My only conviction beyond what is known is that our consciousness goes on after death of the body in some way. My sense of being tells me that. No outside source is "telling" me that. No Bible, no claims of God talking to me in my sleep, just my own convictions.

You say, "Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and go about your business. Die when it's your time". Fine but there is one big difference between you and I. I will go about my business a little differently than you. Because I believe we don't completely die, I will conduct my life in a way that I die with a clear conscience, and in a way that I can try to earn my way closer to this timeless pure higher power rather than having a closed mind that perpetually comes back to mortal flesh. It doesn't take any more effort to do it my way than to live without conscience. I have a feeling you aren't as concerned if you die with a clear conscience.

Location hidden

#558633 Nov 3, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> No superforce is simply the term for the 4 forces combined together in unification .
You said that the four forces "broke away from the superforce" which implies the superforce precedes. But it doesn't matter. my statement still holds. "Fundamental force" or "superforce", either way it isn't any more useful than calling it God. Not that we should call it God, just sayin

Location hidden

#558634 Nov 3, 2012
What does one say when they won't compromise and be happy with half the cake and can't answer the questions put forth?

Here's a perfect example :

"If you like. When you describe science, you get pretty much everything wrong. Either you aren't capable of explaining what's in your head, truly don't understand science, or some mixture of both.

Your subsequent musings on science and pretenses to drawing conclusions are wildly and amusingly incorrect.

Is there any thing else of yours you'd like me to critique? "

Guess who wrote that

Location hidden

#558635 Nov 3, 2012
I'm "wildly incorrect" but Hiding can't *show* me what's wrong about it or what the "right" answer is, she only *tells* me I'm incorrect. Yea, way to go Hiding. I guess you think that since people blindly believe the Bible they will blindly believe you to.

Who's uncivil here? Huh Hiding?

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#558636 Nov 3, 2012
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>Slight imbalance (imperfection) does not require superforce.

No you're right and even I'm proof of that , but...
Big Bang Cosmology does.

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#558637 Nov 3, 2012
Pokay wrote:
<quoted text>You said that the four forces "broke away from the superforce" which implies the superforce precedes. But it doesn't matter. my statement still holds. "Fundamental force" or "superforce", either way it isn't any more useful than calling it God. Not that we should call it God, just sayin

It is infinitely more useful , it opened up the study to try to reproduce it , which they do.

http://www.adnkronos.com/AKI/English/Business...

This is much more than the speculation you call it , and the belief
a thing is responsible for it.
Zapps

Kiev, Ukraine

#558638 Nov 3, 2012
It's possible to prove that there's God. Why do people think He doesn't exist? He is there and I can prove it. I'm coming out with a book on the subject sometime next year. You'll have every single prove of it. The title of the book is Composition Into Relativity. Everything will be covered with very simple logical explanations. keep your fingers crossed.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#558639 Nov 3, 2012
msjsri wrote:
the devil runs the world
*da debbil => da debbil runs the world

It just sounds more "eevul" spelled that way.

That's what you're going for, no?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#558640 Nov 3, 2012
Zapps wrote:
keep your fingers crossed.
Why?

Are you superstitious?

Invoking the devil?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How to Recover Deleted Messages from iPhone wit... (May '13) 1 hr Wanckerty 59
Poll White Men, Would You Have A BABY by a Black Woman (Apr '10) 2 hr diseases 546
some blacks want reparations for slavery via wh... (Sep '11) 2 hr reparations 42
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 2 hr Alt Right Lies 2,489
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 hr Phooey 678,912
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 5 hr ROCCO 118,964
Canned pet food contains parasites 5 hr Purina Is Evil 1
More from around the web