Will Prevail

#553540 Oct 20, 2012
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
1. You never asked.
2. Would you like a aspirin?
3. Oh, sorry, you had a Lortab.
4. Never, ever give up the ship.
5. Earth girls are easy, especially ones like YD ..
6. You have a religion?
1. So does that mean yes?
2. No , gimme some sugar :)>
3. I wish :)
4. SS Minnow, he he he
5. ewwwww but she is evidence of non intelligent life in alternate realities.
6. I believe in heavenly body's :o)

Yeah Baby!

lol

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#553542 Oct 20, 2012
Why would there be records, BT42?
Are there records for all the Roman crucifixions?
Nope.
Find one.
From 2,000 years ago.....

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#553543 Oct 20, 2012
Doozer wrote:
<quoted text>
Why did it take 6 days, no more no less? also, why did he have to rest afterward?
There are many books that have been removed from the bible (AKA Apocrypha) and genesis should have been one of them if you wanted people to take the bible seriously.
It had already existed for over 1000 years, and couldn't be 'just overwritten', as the newer writings could. The only alternative to that is try to 'justify' the errant information by circular axioms and other obfuscation.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#553544 Oct 20, 2012
IANS, sorry I can't use the reply button from my dumb phone, hence the "@IANS", et al.
You were asking about James 2 & Ephesians 2...

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#553545 Oct 20, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Peter 2:3-8 basically says that time to God is indeterminate.
But that scripture didn't exist when Genesis was written. Are we to believe that the key to understanding Genesis had to wait for Peter?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
"...-the first day" does NOT mean a 24 hour time
Why are you certain? Tim is just as certain of the opposite, and I think he has firmer ground in this debate. The sentence, "And there was evening, and there was morning — the first day" seems to contradict you.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
It also in no way suggests that a human day is equal to a day to God.
Then I suppose if the bible writer doesn't mean a day when he wrote a day, that he didn't mean a sin when he wrote a sin, or a virgin when he wrote a virgin.

Imagine a legal contract where $20,000 didn't mean $20,000, but any amount the reader chose, because the author's $20,000 doesn't mean what it says. Why would divine instruction - the most important piece of writing ever by the most knowledgeable writer ever - be written less well than a contract? It wouldn't.

You're asking me to accept that some parts of your bible were written with such incredibly flexible language that they can mean anything, while others are to be understood strictly. Why can't a resurrection mean standing up or waking up? Who knows what a resurrection is to god, huh? Maybe it's like a day.

We both know that our world was not fully formed after six days as Tim Shields and other literalists insist. You apparently realize that throwing the scripture under the bus beats arguing against the literal six day thing with the incredible shrinking and stretching day is the lesser of evils.

==========

BTW, you can use this gambit for any embarrassment in the bible. The reason that you cannot move mountains with a mustard seed of faith, for example, is because moving to God is a different concept than human moving. And all we need do now is to find some scripture somewhere that might be consistent with that.

I just searched by searchable bible for "move" and found this near the top of the generated list :

Genesis 1:28 - "Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground.”

Man clearly rules over the trees, which are living, on the ground, and move imperceptibly as they grow. So when God says move, it might be imperceptible. Shall we try another?
OCB

Hollywood, FL

#553546 Oct 20, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>You haven't met my stepfather. He calls bargaining "jewin' down". For the longest time I did not know what he was talking about and, when I finally did, I thought it was tremendously insulting to offer someone less than their listed price.
In a couple of posts of yours from a month or so ago, your anti-semitism was apparent- perhaps you got it from your stepfather for the term " jewing down" is very insulting to Jews and much more so than it is insulting to try to negotiate a lower price- not to mention that haggling over price is commonplace in Europe.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#553547 Oct 20, 2012
IANS, in God's eye, Genesis & Peter were written at the same time. Just not by ours.
To say that Peter "knew" something 1,000 years later is to suggest that Peter was far more than a simple "bronze age goat herder"...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#553548 Oct 20, 2012
In Genesis, Moses wrote that God "said" "Let ther be light" and there was light.
Does that mean that God literally spoke to Himself & literally said those words?
I don't believe so.
The Genesis account is not a literal account.

Fennario

#553549 Oct 20, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
We both know that our world was not fully formed after six days as Tim Shields and other literalists insist. You apparently realize that throwing the scripture under the bus beats arguing against the literal six day thing with the incredible shrinking and stretching day is the lesser of evils.
Incidentally, you and Tim should call a truce on this one. You are both faced with the same problem - a bible that is in glaring conflict with science in a world in which scientists are believed as much or more than bibles by many people, many being Christians or potential Christians. You both feel that you need to reconcile this, but have chosen opposite strategies. You chose to disregard the scripture's apparent meaning, which is the smarter strategy, and he ignores the science, which is what a fundamentalist is required to do if he believes that a god wrote the words and meant what it wrote.

Instead of condemning one another to hell as heretics, recognize what is happening, and that you are allies. I can see this because I am not a believer. I understand the problem differently. I'm not looking for the word or will of god here, but the naturalistic explanation, which involves an ancient book that has finally outlived its credibility by surviving into the scientific age.

[Please note how helpful it is having the part of the post to which I referred. This would be true even more so if more than a few minutes had elapsed since you had read it.]

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#553550 Oct 20, 2012
Genesis 1:26, Moses wrote that God "said", "Let US make mankind in OUR image, to OUR likeness..."
Who's "us" if God is speaking to Himself?
Again, I don't think that Genesis is a literal account of how God created everything, just a base of information.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#553551 Oct 20, 2012
Plus you're also stuck on the word "day".
In Hebrew, the word for "day" is "yom", which has several meanings.
Yom means an amount of time, from 12 hours to a million years. In some frames of reference, "yom" is an indeterminate amount of time...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#553552 Oct 20, 2012
IANS, again, I'm sorry but I can't use the reply button...
I'm on a dumb phone (not a smart phone) right now & it won't let me "reply".
Plus my posts must be kept very short, like 200 characters or something..

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#553553 Oct 20, 2012
mimi57 wrote:
<quoted text>
I know, Fabulous Dauling...but my eye is back. I thought of changing it, but I like it a lot and it looks so much like my real eye, identical. I'm saving the naked ones for special occasions.( wink wink).. I'm on my 10 year old computer, it still works great, it's in my room I do my make-up in, so I can multi task. I love my new HP.
note book, hardly ever use the cell phone to post, I don't text or
anything when I drive, take care and keep the light on for me..I'm coming. LOL
Oooh-la-la Mimi!!

Fennario

#553554 Oct 20, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I disagree, orange. People don't gain wisdom simply by getting older. Wisdom is a deep understanding of things, people, situations, rationality, etc.
I've known plenty of old folks that are dumb as bricks...
I agree with you this time. Wisdom is what makes us happy, and derives from proper values combined with a fund of factual knowledge, and the ability to collect and analyze the facts of situations. Intelligence relies only on the last two elements - the knowledge and reasoning skills. But without proper values, you get intelligent monsters and other kinds of unhappy people.

Look at Cheney. High IQ, vast fund of experience, formal education, and a mind like a steel trap. But the things he wants are garbage, and so is his life. He's rich, powerful and famous, but he is despised by the world. He couldn't have any friends - just sycophants that fear him and admire his success. He dare not go outside without a body guard. His death will be cheered by many. I don't see how such a person could be happy. He is intelligent, but he lacks wisdom. The difference is in knowing what brings satisfaction, and that's where values enter into the formula.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#553555 Oct 20, 2012
Furthermore, when the KJV version was being translated to English, there was great debate whether the Hebrew wrod "yom" should be translated as "day" or "eon" because there is no direct translation of the word "yom" into English.

“wat doet een Doozer doen?”

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#553556 Oct 20, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Genesis 1:26, Moses wrote that God "said", "Let US make mankind in OUR image, to OUR likeness..."
Again, I don't think that Genesis is a literal account of how God created everything, just a base of information.
According to my friend, who is a jehovah's witness, Jesus was god's first creation, and was around for the creation of everything else, and existed in heaven until he was sent to earth. I don't know how other branches of christianity believe about that in particular, but that is how she explained that wording to me.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#553557 Oct 20, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
booots, proofs of Jesus are being found. Remember that it's been 2,000 years, and yes, there's been plenty of war in that region.
The Dead Sea Scrolls were found by accident, buried in a sealed container. They are corroborating proof of the Bible & Jesus
No RR, they are only proof that some group that apparently wanted to hide the writings of their day, which contains many of the same writings as are found in the Bible and these were found in various stages of decomposition in various caves in the Dead Sea area. We already knew the Bible existed. All these did it prove that someone had stories some of the earlier copies of the stories. As the reality of the stories themselves, they tell us nothing that people didn't already know.

If someone puts a time capsule someplace to be opened in 2000 years, and includes various things from the culture of today, they might put in a copy of one of the Harry Potter books, and perhaps a Stephen King book too, because both are extremely popular today. So if someone digs up this capsule in 2000 years and finds these books, and others have been reading ancient history of 2000 years previously, which talked about similar things, would finding these mean that the Stephen King stories aand Harry Potter must have been true stories, or just that the books must have really existed?
GullABull

North Augusta, SC

#553558 Oct 20, 2012
Doozer wrote:
<quoted text>
According to my friend, who is a jehovah's witness, Jesus was god's first creation, and was around for the creation of everything else, and existed in heaven until he was sent to earth. I don't know how other branches of christianity believe about that in particular, but that is how she explained that wording to me.
Makes perfect sense to me,but Superman having great strength under a yellow sun makes sense to me.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#553559 Oct 20, 2012
Wrong, booots.
The Dead Sea Scrolls are very important because in them are details of the "40 days" that Jesus spends on Earth after ressurection.
The 40 days are in Acts 1, but not detailed at all....

“Seventh son”

Since: Dec 10

Will Prevail

#553560 Oct 20, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
More like an imaginary tale by a hallucinating freak.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 4 min Peace_Warrior 615,676
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 5 min Bernie 14,659
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 7 min New Age Spiritual... 627,774
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 22 min Frank Merton 180,055
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 33 min Classic 3,367
Play "end of the word" part 2 1 hr ImFree2Choose 713
Lido Theater, Dallas (Mar '12) 2 hr mskeke 404
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 4 hr WasteWater 278,477
More from around the web