|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Why not have both?
Because the are mutually contradictory, an oxymoron like random pattern, American inelegance and American English

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

Judged:

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I though not, in fact I believe the 1st amendment totally blows the whole idea of a religious nation right out of the water
No, it doesn't. The 1st Amendment simply says that the government can not & will not ever try to control religion through law.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

Since: Apr 12

Orlando but NYC born & raised

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't care if Da Vinci was gay or not. That's not the point.
The point is, it's wrong of you to throw accusations out there about someone of something you don't know.
Dear, it is NOT an accusation. It is based on what is known about Da Vinci's life.

Here are some links about that:

One of the few references that Leonardo made to sexuality in his notebooks states: "The act of procreation and anything that has any relation to it is so disgusting that human beings would soon die out if there were no pretty faces and sensuous dispositions."[21] This statement has been the subject of various extrapolations and interpretations in attempts to gain a picture of his sexuality.

The only historical document concerning Leonardo's sexual life is an accusation of sodomy made in 1476, while he was still at the workshop of Verrocchio.[22] Florentine court records show that on April 9, 1476, an anonymous denunciation was left in the tamburo (letter box) in the Palazzo della Signoria (town hall) accusing a young goldsmith and male prostitute, Jacopo Saltarelli (sometimes referred to as an artist's model) of being "party to many wretched affairs and consents to please those persons who request such wickedness of him". The denunciation accused four people of engaging in sodomy with Saltarelli: Leonardo da Vinci, Baccino, a tailor; Bartolomeo di Pasquino and Leonardo Tornabuoni, a member of the aristocratic Tornabuoni family.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonardo_da_Vinc...

"When he was twenty-four years old, Leonardo was arrested, along with several young companions, on the charge of sodomy. No witnesses appeared against them and eventually the charges were dropped. It must be said that often anonymous charges like this were brought against people just for a nuisance. Renaissance Florentines didn't make the distinctions we make about sexuality today and apparently it was common for young men to get into sexual relationships; in fact, the word "Florenzer" was German slang for "homosexual".

Leonardo had no relationships with women, never married, had no children, and raised many young protégés, including one nicknamed "Salai" which means "offspring of Satan", a sketch of whom is shown below. Salai stole things, broke things, lied, and was generally a, well, devil; if he were a mere student or servant he would have been fired.

It's not hard to see how this imp would be attractive to Leonardo.
He stayed with Leonardo for over twenty years, and appears many times in Leonardo's sketchbooks.

http://www.bnl.gov/bera/activities/globe/leon...

Funny- you wouldn't accuse me of throwing out accusations if I said Da Vinci was straight......

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No, silly goose we were talking about American religious laws... Not Christian laws.
And you're wrong. 24 hours does NOT equal 1,000 years... Is that where you get your 6,000 year figure?
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TOCO8TE...

So because you are American you don’t consider the commandments (however many) apply to you? Are you actually christian or not?

Oh sorry, the 3rd or 4th commandment tells us

For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it

He rested on one day, the 7th day and that now happens to be a Sunday in the christian faith. As far as I recall a Sunday is 24 hours (approximately)just like every other day.

And I seem to remember you telling us that a day was not a day to your god because Peter said so some 4000 years later. However the 3rd or 4th commandment seems to indicates that you god though otherwise. Who was right, you god or peter?

I posted the link to the wiki page for the archbishop who calculated 6000 years on October 24th Becuas you ignored it is not my problem, see what I mean about oxymoron?.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it doesn't. The 1st Amendment simply says that the government can not & will not ever try to control religion through law.
That is simply NOT true.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

What it SAYS is that government will make no law ESTABLISHING religion.

It says NOTHING about "controlling" religion- it clearly states there will be no law respecting an ESTABLISHMENT of religion.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>You know, in my town we can tell that people are gay when they don't like Budweiser....
I'll bet you can.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

OCB wrote:
<quoted text>Okay....so now you refer to our GOVERNMENT as not being secular, when in fact, it IS- just as the NATION is.
"A secular state is a concept of secularism, whereby a state or country purports to be officially neutral in matters of religion, supporting neither religion nor irreligion.[1] A secular state also claims to treat all its citizens equally regardless of religion, and claims to avoid preferential treatment for a citizen from a particular religion/nonreligion over other religions/nonreligion. Secular states do not have a state religion or equivalent, although the absence of a state religion does not guarantee that a state is secular. A minority of secular, communist or dictatorial nations have historically enforced the extreme of the concept, state atheism, on their populations by way of religious censorship and persecution.[citation needed]
Contents
1 List of secular countries by continent
1.1 Africa
1.2 America
1.3 Asia
1.4 Europe
1.5 Oceania
2 Former secular states
3 Ambiguous states
4 See also
5 Notes
****Secular states become secular either upon establishment of the state (e.g. United States of America or India) or upon secularization of the state******"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secular_state
"Please note that conservative politicians frequently assert that the United States is a Christian nation, is founded on Christian principles and/or that the Founding Fathers were Christian men.
Actually, they weren’t. The Founding Fathers were primarily deists, Freemasons and Unitarians (contrasted with Trinitarians or Christians.) They came from a tradition where the King of England was also the titular head of the Church of England.
In the Constitution, Article 6, Section 3 states “no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States.” It’s an affirmation that the head of our government isn’t the head of any particular sect or religion.
Government and religion are separate. These were secular men writing a secular Constitution for a secular country."
http://www.idahopress.com/opinion/bestread/fo...
Yes, I've said it like 100 times that our government is nonreligious. It HAS to be in order to have true freedom.

Government & religion are separate, yes.

So it government & nation.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
It doesn't. Nor does it say the goverment is secular.
Please note: There is a difference between "goverment" and "nation".
The U.S. government is NOT the U.S.
I was responding to your post.

So the US public does not vote for its government? OK, I was confused there for a while

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Stop flirting with me, dude. I don't play on your team.
You're gay?

Good for you for coming out.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

Orangelion wrote:
<quoted text>
What about in space? There is no gravity, anything with mass only has gravity because gravity is right down here.
Dude.

STOP!

You're making us look bad...

There IS gravity in space...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

OCB wrote:
If nothing else, one of the reasons the USA was founded was to AVOID religious persecution and the tyranny of religion and the following of ANY religion unless people WANTED to follow a religion.
Well put me in a gown and call me Susan....

I agree!

Epecially with the "unless people WANTED to follow a religion" part.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

Orangelion wrote:
I meant it is better spent on education than partying lol. Education is better than a party.
How would you know?

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No, we have a nonreligious government set forth by a fair & equal nonreligious government.
The fact that nearly 90% of the country's citizens are religious says thatvwe are avreligious nation. The government was founded to make sure we'd always be that way.
Jewish?! Deist?!?
um....
Dewist?
Druish?
According to the United States Census Bureau, in 2011 78.1% of the population is WHITE.

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/00000...

If you are going to base what our nation is based on percentages, then you would have to say that the USA is a WHITE nation.

AGAIN- it is NOT. Percentages do not define what a nation is or is not.

If at some point in time, the majority of Americans were NON-WHITE, would that then mean that what kind of nation we are would have to be re-defined?

What a nation was FOUNDED upon is what defines what kind of nation it is, and ours WAS founded as a SECULAR nation.

I don't get why that troubles you so much, since it is secularism that allows for any and all to practice whatever religion they like or no religion at all.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

Judged:

Orangelion wrote:
<quoted text>
What about in space? There is no gravity, anything with mass only has gravity because gravity is right down here.
What about space? By space do you mean nothing? How do you define nothing? Nothing that is nothing or nothing that light can pass through, nothing with dimensions?

I assume you mean the space that has no mass, no mass no gravity of its own, that is not to say that gravity of nearby objects will not affect that space.

Honey you are space. Take all the space pit of every human being on this planet and you would wind up with a super dense block of matter the size of a sugar cube.
Down where?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Because the are mutually contradictory, an oxymoron like random pattern, American inelegance and American English
No, they're not contradictory...

You, and others like you, can't see the harmony of science & religion.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

Orangelion wrote:
<quoted text>But plenty of teens have feelings they think are stronger than previous, it might be simply that the crush is more based on liking the persons character and less than looks with teens. Of course I take your word when it comes to you being 22, it resulted in marriage.
What?

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

Judged:

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I was responding to your post.
So the US public does not vote for its government? OK, I was confused there for a while
LOL!!!

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

Judged:

macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Looks and tastes as though someone else already drank it.
After all, you don't buy beer.

You rent it.

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

Judged:

Orangelion wrote:
These are the questions to ask:
Where did the fusion come from?
Where did the energy come from?
What was the energy, light, electricity?
How did the gravity fusion with the energy cause
atoms?
Where isn't the world entirely symetrical, there was no set direction, the atoms are completely round, symetrical, why didn't it form symetrically?
Magnets..... How do they work? I bet that one will blow your mind too!

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>I don't care if Da Vinci was gay or not. That's not the point.

The point is, it's wrong of you to throw accusations out there about someone of something you don't know.
YOU never do that, do you.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 3 min dirty white boy- 599,702
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 9 min HipGnosis 173,226
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 11 min KiMare 226,039
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 13 min yon 2,379
Gay Pakistani snapchat 15 min INDIAN LAD 30 LON... 3
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 20 min Porkpie Hat 259,629
Animal Crossing New Leaf Friend codes (Jun '13) 22 min Pixel love 156
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 57 min seriously the ori... 538,356

Search the Top Stories Forum:
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••