Prove there's a god.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#552331 Oct 18, 2012
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>I wonder if RR has any idea how many theses, dissertations and college courses there are for the "Iliad" and the "Odyssey"- both works of fiction with both of them often being classed as MYTHS.
And those are just TWO examples of MANY of college courses on books that are myths.
Very true. The important thing is to separate the courses that are about real facts and those that are just discussing mythology. Though we know that the Bible is taken from various previous myths, people still try to overlook that and claim it is unique.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#552332 Oct 18, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
You might be interested in the Wheelmate Laptop Steering Wheel Desk for only $24.95 available through Amazon DOT com: http://www.amazon.com/Wheelmate-Laptop-Steeri...
OMG....

Is that thing real?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#552333 Oct 18, 2012
Double Fine wrote:
Let's get back to that contentious issue, Genesis 1. It was never intended to be taken literally. It was more a form of poetry than anything else.
Sorry, my friend, but I just can't agree with that.

For most of its existence, the ideas pin Genesis were taken literally, as were the other accounts and descriptions in the bible. You challenged that under peril of death. Why would any pharisee or priest say otherwise and grant laxiy in interpretation of scripture before there was disconfirming evidence to make it necessary? It's only in the light of modernity that one would even dream of calling the word of the god anything less than absolute truth. There's no wiggle room in that religion when it can be prevented.

When Bishop James Ussher calculated the age of the earth based on data in the bible, including life spans of over 900 years, the words were taken literally, so much so that the exact date of creation was proclaimed - October 23, 4004 BC http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials...

I doubt that if you called Genesis "poetry" or allegory in late seventeenth century Salem that you would have lived long.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#552334 Oct 18, 2012
Orangelion wrote:
<quoted text>
At 17? Years are short, if you fall in love with many girls at differejt times in one year then that love didn't last long, it sounds like puppy love to me, how can you form a connection in the schoolyard anyway? Besides, if you were too shy to admit it, you were to unwise to admit it, and probably to unwise to fall in love, don't be stupid.
Hardly anything in that post makes any sense. I said by 17; I didn't say while I was 17. Whatever I felt, it was as strong or stronger than any feeling that I have had since, and I have been in 3 committed relationships since then starting at age 20, married since age 22, and still married though to a different woman than at age 22.

Fennario

#552335 Oct 18, 2012
Double Fine wrote:
Also, it explains thcurvature of their boobs. Curved, like ribs.
It also explains why a set of ribs and a set of breasts are each called a rack.

“First it steals your mind..”

Since: Jun 11

..and then it steals your soul

#552336 Oct 18, 2012
<quoted text>
You might be interested in the Wheelmate Laptop Steering Wheel Desk for only $24.95 available through Amazon DOT com: http://www.amazon.com/Wheelmate-Laptop-Steeri...
Check out these testimonials:
[1]“In fact, I'm driving right now and I'm using it to type as I drive on the interstate.” Vivin Paliath
[2] "My copilot and I both used these during our "daily grind" transcontinental flights from San Diego to Minneapolis. We had to modify them a bit to fit snug against the instrument panels (when we bought them we didn't realize the planes we fly don't have steering wheels!), but in the end it did the job. With our laptops firmly in place we were able to focus our attention on what really mattered, participating in raids with our WoW clan. During our last flight we were so immersed in trying to take down Eranikus that we overshot Minneapolis by a full hour and a half before some annoying flight attendant interrupted us, babbling something about "FAA and F16 fighters." - Linky's Dad
[3] "Wow is this thing great! I use it as a "mini-bar" when the friends and I go out to the bars. I can quickly fix multiple shots of tequila for myself and the friends as we drive from one bar to the next. We also discovered that if you place a pillow on top of it and turn on the cruise control you can catch quick naps on the interstate ... Also, i am now dating a midget and she fits nicely on the steering wheel desk which allows us to experiment sexually while driving." - T. Meadows
Oh my god.

Double Fine is at a loss for words

Fennario

#552337 Oct 18, 2012
Orangelion wrote:
How did the mutation gene spread to the other genes, from this pit of slime? The mutation gene would also not only have the information to adapt, but also the information for the other genes, little kid HFY.
Worst. Post. Ever.

#552338 Oct 18, 2012
<quoted text>
It also explains why a set of ribs and a set of breasts are each called a rack.
In Afrikaans we would say: Fyn...Baie fyn.

Translates to 'fine', but in context that would be 'sharp'.

Great wit amigo

#552340 Oct 18, 2012
<quoted text>
For most of its existence, the ideas pin Genesis were taken literally, as were the other accounts and descriptions in the bible. You challenged that under peril of death. Why would any pharisee or priest say otherwise and grant laxiy in interpretation of scripture before there was disconfirming evidence to make it necessary? It's only in the light of modernity that one would even dream of calling the word of the god anything less than absolute truth. There's no wiggle room in that religion when it can be prevented.
When Bishop James Ussher calculated the age of the earth based on data in the bible, including life spans of over 900 years, the words were taken literally, so much so that the exact date of creation was proclaimed - October 23, 4004 BC http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials...
I doubt that if you called Genesis "poetry" or allegory in late seventeenth century Salem that you would have lived long.
Yes, very good points amigo.

Fennario

#552341 Oct 18, 2012
Orangelion wrote:
Jesus wasn't a deer.
Unfortunately, we don't have any pictures to be able to say for sure. And I've heard plenty of people refer to him as Deer Jesus, or Deer God in heaven.

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#552342 Oct 18, 2012
Orangelion wrote:
<quoted text>
It couldn't have just been programmed to place the energy in one particular place, atoms are symetrical, it would have fired all of the energy symetrically, since everything would be symetrical in the first place. You explained how the galaxy was formed, but not the hydrogen.
Yes I did, you simply did not understand it. Not my problem

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#552343 Oct 18, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I completely understand it. Why don't you understand that when you "explain" how the first hydrogen atom was created, you're assuming? You are.
<quoted text>
You have no evidence of "no proof".
<quoted text>
6,000, huh? lol
<quoted text>
You have no proof of that, either.
<quoted text>
You're using theoretical & hypothetical science as "proof". You can't see that?
Nope, not assuming, scientifically verifiable

Honey I did not write the babble, I should think that Archbishop Ussher of Armgah knew a bit more about the god book that you do.

Yes, there is considerable evidence that the great flood did not happen

Wrong, you simply are too biblically blind to accept proof. No matter how much proof you are offered it won’t matter because the goddidit book is your mainstay.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

Since: Apr 12

Orlando but NYC born & raised

#552344 Oct 18, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That's silly...
You're saying that because of the word, "woMAN", that 'proves' it?
It's a word, hun. Just a word.
In Spanish,'man' is hombre & 'woman' is mujer, so.....
Funny, RR- but you yourself once said something very similar to me.

That the origin of the word "woman" comes from the word "man".

This was some time ago when you thought my issue with the whole rib thing was that man was created before woman, but as you should now know, my issue is not with which gender was created from a rib- just that it's bizarre to think ANY living being could have been created from a rib.

But I do agree with this post of yours, which is quite a different position than the one you took with me some time ago.

Regardless, if I believed the bible to be the word of a god, I wouldn't doubt for a second that the entire book IS meant to be taken literally.

And MANY believers of the god in the bible definitely do take every single word literally and just as it is written.

Otherwise, that would mean that the god of the bible doesn't know what he is saying or doesn't want to clearly say what he is saying, or wants to be inaccurate about what he is saying and those are HUMAN qualities/flaws/whatever and certainly nothing I would attribute to any god I might believe in.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#552345 Oct 18, 2012
Rose Theodor wrote:
<quoted text>The dust and rib account are literal and biologically and chemically proven. Everything that we eat and consume comes from the earth and water. The fact that we have woMAN tells us that woman came from man plus the chromosomes of xy and how women and men are made taking a part from man and a part from woman should be further evidence.
This is the damage religion does.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#552346 Oct 18, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
"Of course, not everyone will be excited to hear more "Merry Christmas" greetings this season. One in three respondents who identified themselves as Jewish (32%) said they were upset by hearing "Merry Christmas" as were 10% of those of non-Christian faiths or who did not identify themselves with a religion. Democrats are more likely to take offense at "Merry Christmas" (8%) compared with fewer than 1% of Republicans and 1% of Independents"
lol, from your link...
As Christmas is a national holiday & a Christian tradition and America is 75% Christian, then I'd say yes: trying to remove is a "war on Christmas".
The leftover 25% that are not Christians are a mix of religions, agnostics & atheists. Why should we remove "Merry Christmas" to suit the minority of the people?
Does a holiday greeting really matter much if at all?

What has saying "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays" or whatever have to do with the meaning of Christmas to most Christians?

Does someone saying "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas" somehow take away from the meaning of the holiday?

If I celebrate Hanukkah and you say "Merry Christmas" to me, that wouldn't at all affect me celebrating Hanukkah and knowing the reason for the holiday and the meaning of it.

This is a whole big to-do about a whole lot of nothing.

“I see quantum effects”

Location hidden

#552347 Oct 18, 2012
Orangelion wrote:
And you can't comprehend God either, but he exists too, say that for him too.
What?

“I see quantum effects”

Location hidden

#552348 Oct 18, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>How do you know? Is it all based on craniodental "evidence" or hypotheses?
Because evolution never stops.

“I see quantum effects”

Location hidden

#552349 Oct 18, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>What state were you in at college? That kind of religious 'attacking' is not the norm in most parts of the country.

-wait-

what did you put in our faces?

(.Y.)
Cool.

New boobicon.

“I see quantum effects”

Location hidden

#552350 Oct 18, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>I know that evolution doesn't harm my religion - except when radical try to use it to 'disprove' God and when fundies make us all look stupid when they simply beat their bibles & say all scientists are wrong.......'because'.

You can't say that "if there IS a god, he created the universe by means of the Big Bang" because you don't know that. BBT is nothing more than a damned guess. Nobody knows if it's even real.
You were doing so well, too.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#552351 Oct 18, 2012
<quoted text>
I definitely agree with you.

I see no reason to make excuses or apologies for what is supposed to be a perfect being- the god of the bible.

As I just told RR, if I believed in the god of the bible, I would never claim that one word of the bible is only figurative and is not meant to be taken literally.

I can't fathom why a perfect being who is handing out orders, commandments and punishments left and right wouldn't be 100% clear and 100% explicit about what he is saying.

I really can't imagine the god of the bible saying: Uh....but don't take me LITERALLY!!! I know I said "this", but what I REALLY mean is "that".....

I don't buy for a second that the mere mortal men who wrote the bible did NOT intend for every single word to be taken as "gospel truth" and to be taken 100% literally and 100% literally as the word of god.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Spread This Around & Stop The Lies! 33 min Truth 1
News Arresting the homeless isn't the answer (Jul '12) 1 hr Christie Taylor 3
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 1 hr iamcuriousnow 42,498
Why are Europeans a race of savages, thieves, a... (Jun '15) 2 hr European Slave 156
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 hr PadMark 690,591
Bring the jobs back to the USA! 5 hr Paul McCartney is... 639
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 6 hr Remnant 144000 619,851
More from around the web