Prove there's a god.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#552010 Oct 17, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Funny that USN mentioned doctors promoting cigarettes....
What else would they do? Back then, science "knew" cigarettes were good for ya...
And almost everybody smoked.
Ya see? Science makes HUGE mistakes all the time...
Smoking has never been 'good for you' and though some unethical cigarette giants sold certain brands of cigarettes that would be 'good for you when you had a cold', because they contained 'menthol'(I recall the silly ads from when I was young), these were lies told by the cigarette producers to encourage more smoking.

There were many religious denominations that considered smoking a sin, including many of the churches of my denomination. My mother still likely thinks of it as sin, and even I am offended when I see someone smoking, though now I have 'science' on my side to justify my 'offense', at being offended that I have to share space with people that are so stupid, that with all the knowledge we have had since long before many of them were even born, against smoking, they still continue to do so. I recall a friend, which I had when I lived in a different place almost 20 years ago, who used to get a perverse pleasure hearing some smoker coughing, as he knew the person was headed for an early grave.

I am sure that some doctors did promote smoking, though, back then, as most of them smoked, and likely they would see smoking as a means of 'helping' a person with certain mental or nervous conditions, because it provides a distraction from whatever else they are doing, or even for weight control, as it is common knowledge that people, when they give up smoking now, put on weight because the habit of putting something in their mouth every few minutes is switched from that being a cigarette to it being junk food. Smoking also reduces one's appetite.

On the subject of morals, I believe that one of the most immoral things that society still permits is that cigarette companies are still permitted to produce a product which when used as recommended will kill 66% of its users, and 1/2 of those will die before they reach old age. Any other product that had such a proven death rate would be strictly illegal, and likely those engaging in the manufacture of such products would get long prison sentences, if caught.

Yes, today, because less than 1/2 as many people smoked as did a couple generations ago, we now have another high cause of early death, and that is obesity, but obesity involves a whole lot of factors, rather than just one product, and the act of becoming obese, eating too much of the wrong foods, and getting not enough exercise, does not directly harm others who happen to be around you, as does smoking.

Sorry about that rant, but smoking is an old pet peeve of mine, which used to get quite a bit of my time on internet discussion sites, prior to the introduction of country-wide smoking bans in all indoor places where people work or are open to the general public.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#552011 Oct 17, 2012
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. in 1776, Christmas wasn't a national holiday either. That happened in the late 19th century, dufus ..
der...

It was June 28, 1870, congress passed a bill, signed by Ulysses Grant that made not only Christmas, but New Years, the 4th of July, and Thanksgiving Day all national holidays.

Is there a point?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#552012 Oct 17, 2012
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>Yes- each one. How many records have you recorded and sold lately? How many television shows do you have?
Stop being a nit-picker, RR- it only makes you look foolish.
HA! You're the fool that said "Each one of the above knew/know more about life than I am sure you could ever begin to."

Then you listed Elton John, Janis Ian, Ellen Degeneres, Melissa Etheridge & k. d. lang.....

So, by your thinking, writig songs & acting is "knowing about life"?!?

....?....?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!

Sit down before you hurt yourself.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#552013 Oct 17, 2012
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>No- I'd rather you prove the whole dust/rib thing is fact.
You say it is, so how about YOU prove that?
how many times?

How Many times....?

HOW MANY TIMES..........

Really?

I have NEVER claimed to have evidence.

And you continue to ask...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#552014 Oct 17, 2012
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>OMG- you MUST be kidding me!
I could write a BOOK on all you've been wrong about that you have refused to admit having been wrong about.
ya ya ya

And I could write an encyclopedia of books on your goof ups...

I ain't bringing all that up.

Are you too egotistical to admit you're wrong?

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

Since: Apr 12

Orlando but NYC born & raised

#552015 Oct 17, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think so, lame.
Admit you were wrong about "knowing" how the pyramids were built.
And of course you don't think so, MUCH lamer.

You couldn't prove the whole dust/rib business any more than anyone else ever could or ever will, since not one person in the entire world who is living or who has lived could ever prove what is merely a myth and a fairy tale to be fact.

Actually, it's quite probable that "The Night Before Christmas" could better prove the existence of Santa Claus than your bible could ever prove the whole dust/rib business to be fact.

It's NOT a fact and you display your intellectual dishonesty yet again by refusing to admit that even as much of a clinger to fairy tales as you are, even YOU know it is NOT fact and since it is NOT fact it will NEVER, EVER be proven to be.

You not only walk the walk (while dragging your knuckles on the ground) and talk the talk (a whole lot of meaningless noise) you SQUAWK the SQUAWK.

While there are TONS of evidence which strongly suggest just HOW the pyramids were built and even MORE evidence which actually proves evolution to be fact, there is not one SHRED of evidence to support the myth of the dust/rib business.

You're so big on having evidence- where is your evidence to support your fervent and unwavering belief that the dust/rib business is fact?

And no dear- a book that has NOT been proven to be fact can't be used to prove that something within that book is fact.

Talk about LAME.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#552016 Oct 17, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
how many times?
How Many times....?
HOW MANY TIMES..........
Really?
Then stop being LAME and claiming what you have NO evidence to support is FACT.

That is REALLY lame.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#552017 Oct 17, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
HA! You're the fool that said "Each one of the above knew/know more about life than I am sure you could ever begin to."
Then you listed Elton John, Janis Ian, Ellen Degeneres, Melissa Etheridge & k. d. lang.....
So, by your thinking, writig songs & acting is "knowing about life"?!?
....?....?
BWAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!
Sit down before you hurt yourself.
Thanks again for proving what a boor and a rube you are with no real appreciation for any of the arts or for any creative talent.

And YES- having a talent for writing songs and acting most certainly IS "knowing about life".

You really ARE an insufferable BOOR.

And you should stand up so that you can stop squashing your brain.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#552018 Oct 17, 2012
boooots wrote:
On the subject of morals, I believe that one of the most immoral things that society still permits is that cigarette companies are still permitted to produce a product which when used as recommended will kill 66% of its users, and 1/2 of those will die before they reach old age. Any other product that had such a proven death rate would be strictly illegal, and likely those engaging in the manufacture of such products would get long prison sentences, if caught.
I DID read your whole post, but as you said, you were ranting.

This part is the one I wanna respond to.

"Still permitted"? You think it'd be a great, grand gesture of society to make cigarettes illegal?

Cigarettes kill, I ain't gonna cover that up. But make them illegal?!? Because the kill people?!?

Then why not make other "killers" illegal? Like chocolate? Potato chips? McDonald's? Beer? ALL alcohol? ALL fast food? All energy drinks? ALL sodas?

You wanna make everything that's unhealthy illegal or just cigarettes?

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#552019 Oct 17, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
ya ya ya
And I could write an encyclopedia of books on your goof ups...
I ain't bringing all that up.
Are you too egotistical to admit you're wrong?
Uh....there is MUCH more evidence out there to strongly indicate just HOW the pyramids were built than there is LACK of evidence.

BTW, when I have been TRULY wrong, I have readily admitted to that.

YOUR idea of admitting when YOU have been wrong is to say you "concede" because YOUR super-sized super-fragile ego won't allow you to come out and simply say you are WRONG about anything, and the times you have "conceded" are VERY few and VERY far between.

Feh.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#552020 Oct 17, 2012
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>And of course you don't think so, MUCH lamer.
You couldn't prove the whole dust/rib business any more than anyone else ever could or ever will, since not one person in the entire world who is living or who has lived could ever prove what is merely a myth and a fairy tale to be fact.
Actually, it's quite probable that "The Night Before Christmas" could better prove the existence of Santa Claus than your bible could ever prove the whole dust/rib business to be fact.
It's NOT a fact and you display your intellectual dishonesty yet again by refusing to admit that even as much of a clinger to fairy tales as you are, even YOU know it is NOT fact and since it is NOT fact it will NEVER, EVER be proven to be.
You not only walk the walk (while dragging your knuckles on the ground) and talk the talk (a whole lot of meaningless noise) you SQUAWK the SQUAWK.
While there are TONS of evidence which strongly suggest just HOW the pyramids were built and even MORE evidence which actually proves evolution to be fact, there is not one SHRED of evidence to support the myth of the dust/rib business.
You're so big on having evidence- where is your evidence to support your fervent and unwavering belief that the dust/rib business is fact?
And no dear- a book that has NOT been proven to be fact can't be used to prove that something within that book is fact.
Talk about LAME.
AH. The ole OCB diversionary tactic...

"I don't wanna discuss this subject anymore & I do NOT want to admit I was wrong, so I'll change the subject..." ... "I hope it works."

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#552021 Oct 17, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Thanks, but the querry wasn't about Christianity or Jews.
Yeah, but I took the opportunity to put my own spin on your mythology, by parody.

The Jews were not slaves in Egypt, and they didn't build the pyramids, as is often asserted by the Abrahamic pantheon of religions. http://harvardmagazine.com/2003/07/who-built-... http://www.jewishideasdaily.com/1106/features... http://www.jweekly.com/article/full/41055/egy...

"The reality is that there is no evidence whatsoever that the Jews were ever enslaved in Egypt. Yes, there's the story contained within the bible itself, but that's not a remotely historically admissible source. I'm talking about real proof; archeological evidence, state records and primary sources. Of these, nothing exists." http://www.haaretz.com/jewish-world/the-jewis...
RiversideRedneck wrote:
It was just to put HFY in her teenage place.
Hiding is no more a teen than you are a genius.

It's ridiculous to cast aspersions in discussion. What you really want is insult and name calling argument when you use such methods. It's one thing to get in the occasional parry during a discussion because the person you are talking to has a weak point or position.

It's a juvenile approach when you consistently resort to insult when it's actually you that lacks a cogent point the majority of the time.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I argued that evolution theory is very assumptive because it's been happening for billions of years, yet some people claim to "know".
You haven't argued it.

You just assert that it is so. You should supply some information that supports your assertion.

To simply claim: "NO IT DOESN'T! BECAUSE I DON'T BELIEVE IT!"

Is not making a point at all. You're just "asserting strongly".
RiversideRedneck wrote:
We're having difficulty understanding what happened a few thousand years ago with the buidling of the Great Pyramids & things of that nature.
No we're not.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/03/...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptian_pyramid...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptian_pyramid...
RiversideRedneck wrote:
HFY claimed that she knows how they were built.... She hasn't come up with anything yet. "how-to" build a pyramid is far different than how did the Egyptians do it...
Sure she did.

You haven't offered an alternative explanation or viewpoint.

You just disagree with what she supplied.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#552022 Oct 17, 2012
Orangelion wrote:
<quoted text>
To men are incapable of falling in love with each over. Gays will tell you differently, but their liars. I will give you an exampe. Do you remember that male singer who said he fell in love with another male at 17? He is a young man now so he should know it isn't true love anyway. However, he is lying, not only was he lying that he fell in love, he lied that he fell in love at 17. 17 years old?!. He fell in love then, at such a young age, how ridiculous?!
Falling in love at 17 is ridiculous? Since when? By the time I was 17 I had fallen in love with many girls, though I never acted on those feelings due to extreme shyness. A 17 year old is certainly not as worldly wise as an older person, but falling in love is not something that one waits until they are fully physically and mentally mature to do so. With some of them was not just physical sexual attraction either, but I was truly 'in love', and with some I probably didn't even see them as sexually attractive.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#552023 Oct 17, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not a creationist.
"Modern scientists and physicians insisted on firm evidence of smoking's harmful effects, and, perhaps lulled by the tobacco companies' heavy advertising in medical journals, they adopted the habit themselves in large numbers."
"in 1928...Some physicians even argued for the cigarette's pathophysiological innocence and psychological benefit."
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov ›...› Am J Public Health › v.92(6); Jun 2002
HA!! You most definitely ARE a creationist!!!

cre·a·tion·ism (kr-sh-nzm)
n.
Belief in the literal interpretation of the account of the creation of the universe and of all living things related in the Bible.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/creationist

Why do you LIE?

You believe at the VERY least that all living things came about as the bible says they did.

If you were NOT a creationist you would not continue to insist that the first person was made out of dust or that the second person was created from a rib of the first person.

That you DO believe that leaves NO doubt whatsoever that you are a 100% CREATIONIST.

Hey- don't be ashamed of what you believe to be FACT by denying what your belief makes you- a creationist.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#552024 Oct 17, 2012
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>Uh....there is MUCH more evidence out there to strongly indicate just HOW the pyramids were built than there is LACK of evidence.
BTW, when I have been TRULY wrong, I have readily admitted to that.
YOUR idea of admitting when YOU have been wrong is to say you "concede" because YOUR super-sized super-fragile ego won't allow you to come out and simply say you are WRONG about anything, and the times you have "conceded" are VERY few and VERY far between.
Feh.
No, young lady. When I admit my mistakes, that shows a strong ego, not a fragile ego...

I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong and/or apologizing. You KNOW that.

You are disturbed.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#552025 Oct 17, 2012
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>Then stop being LAME and claiming what you have NO evidence to support is FACT.
That is REALLY lame.
Again, OCB? Really? I "claim" to have evidence of Adam & Eve? ugh...
how many times?
How Many times....?
HOW MANY TIMES..........
Really?

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#552026 Oct 17, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yo! But.......
Since there are no building plans, writings of procedure, etc., it's all assumption at this point....
LULZ...

So it is with your religion, too.

hahaaa

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#552027 Oct 17, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I DID read your whole post, but as you said, you were ranting.
This part is the one I wanna respond to.
"Still permitted"? You think it'd be a great, grand gesture of society to make cigarettes illegal?
Cigarettes kill, I ain't gonna cover that up. But make them illegal?!? Because the kill people?!?
Then why not make other "killers" illegal? Like chocolate? Potato chips? McDonald's? Beer? ALL alcohol? ALL fast food? All energy drinks? ALL sodas?
You wanna make everything that's unhealthy illegal or just cigarettes?
You forgot about guns.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#552028 Oct 17, 2012
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks again for proving what a boor and a rube you are with no real appreciation for any of the arts or for any creative talent.
And YES- having a talent for writing songs and acting most certainly IS "knowing about life".
You really ARE an insufferable BOOR.
And you should stand up so that you can stop squashing your brain.
"you should stand up so that you can stop squashing your brain"

LOL

Boor: A rude, unmannerly person.
Rube: A country bumpkin.
-so-
Bumpkin: An unsophisticated or socially awkward person from the countryside.

I am not rude, I'm rather polite.
I have great manners.
I don't live in the country.
I am NOT sophisticated, I'll give ya that one.
I am not socially akward.
I don't live in the country.

I'm sure that you masturbate to my imagined look, size & sexy country draw, but you really should stop. You got your "man" right there. That's not fair to him.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#552029 Oct 17, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, OCB? Really? I "claim" to have evidence of Adam & Eve? ugh...
how many times?
How Many times....?
HOW MANY TIMES..........
Really?
Sigh.....can you truly not read?

I did not say you claim to have evidence; I said you claim that the dust/rib business is FACT.

You claim it is a fact despite that there is NO evidence to support your claim that it is fact.

So you might want to stop making yourself look (MORE) foolish by claiming something is fact for which there is no evidence.

Got it now, LAME???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 min June VanDerMark 591,395
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 6 min Chrome duqquetto 5,871
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 10 min Chrome duqquetto 4,798
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 15 min Chrome duqquetto 100,215
gay bottom in gurgaon (May '14) 28 min rohit 153
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 31 min Pegasus 271,483
Beautiful Contemporary Instumental NEW AGE MUSI... 46 min giddy up 4
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 3 hr Truths 612,282
Tamil vs Kannada. Which one is the oldest langu... (Oct '12) 4 hr Neelakaran 1,477
More from around the web