Prove there's a god.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#552138 Oct 17, 2012
Greek literature & mythical literature are very broad. They cover many books across many centuries....
They include the Bible...
Funny, Theology degrees don't include Homer...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#552139 Oct 17, 2012
Lucy Lui is old.
Lucy Lui is old.
Lucy Lui is old?
She's only 44. That's perfect!
(and she's smokin hotness rolled up in a fancy set of buns)
:)

“Seventh son”

Since: Dec 10

Will Prevail

#552140 Oct 17, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
When I lived in America, the religious would pester me about going to their church (constantly when I lived in a dorm), stop me on the streets and lie to me about a fake census they were taking so they could engage me about their religion, monopolize public spaces with extremely boring religious music and infringe on my privacy at home, place banners everywhere - hard to walk down a street in the USA without running into a church and something about god.
America is overwhelmingly full of Christian "noise pollution," much of it based on deceit and manipulation. I found it quite uncomfortable.
Damn where were you? I never even saw a place that full of missionary's . You must have been in Fundieville lol.

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#552141 Oct 17, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
WTF? OCB? Did you just show that a mere itellectually lazy redneck knows more about evolution theory than you?
Honey pie....
They say ALL life started in the oceans.... ALL, so yes, even humans "evolved" from fish...
duh
Yes, fish were our ancestors, and guess what? We have evidence of that. What evidence do you have to support your book written by bronze age camel humpers?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#552142 Oct 17, 2012
Ahhhhh....
I'm getting it, OCB...
Humans evolved from amoebas.
Not fish.
Even though fish evolved from amoebas, too....
wtf?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#552143 Oct 17, 2012
BUT!
They think it was FISH that spawned legs, lungs & the right eyes & skin to move onto land....
NOT amoebas...
So, wouldn't be more "evolutionary correct" to say that humans evolved from fish?

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#552144 Oct 17, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
"But some smart people said so & it makes more sense than goddidit works for me."
Why your religion's myths and not any of the other ones?
The fact that organisms evolve is proven.
Woohoow!
HOW the evolution of life on Earth evolved is far from proven.
We know a lot about mutation and evolutionary processes. To know how each gene changed would require knowing each gene in great detail - that's only useful for a few genes, not for an entire genome of a species. Although we investigate human evolution in great detail, no one cares about, say, elephant evolution to ever bother with that level of detail.
It's filled with assumptions & guesses. It's not good science.
That's false. Support your claim if you can.
How could a 'bird of paradise'(strelitzia), spontaneously evolve itself to look like bird to attract other birds for pollenation?
We can make hypotheses and test them.
How did homosapiens decide to keep their eyebrows for a little shade?
That's easily testable, too. There was no "decision" here.
How did cats "evolve" their retracting claws when dogs didn't?
It has to do with phylogeny.
Why would some fish "evolve" stingers & poison to ward off carnivores but most didn't?
Differing selection pressures.
How could a stonefish know how to evolve to look like a rock?
It didn't "know" anything. Selection pressures favored camouflage in its phylogeny. Camouflage is hardly unique.
There are soooo many unanswered, logical questions, to say that we "know" how it all went down.
No one would ever say "we know exactly how each species evolved in perfect detail." The ToE describes how these processes work, not how each and every case study works - but it gives us the tools to approach your questions above. That's much stronger than any non-evolutionary theoretical framework.

Why do you need to construct such a huge straw man? Is it so you can say "ha! You don't know something. Here is where I fit my deity in, right into your ignorance!"

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#552145 Oct 17, 2012
Sub, what evidence do we have that humans evolved from fish?
That was like, a gazzillion years ago...
Convince me, but please keep it redneckian.
(camel humpers? lol)

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#552146 Oct 17, 2012
LMAO Aura, I thought the same thing about Hiding in America!
I think it might've been Mormonville, Utah or something.
Even I think those folk can be a bit pushy...

Some stable somewhere

#552147 Oct 17, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Not in the 1920's or 30's. They said smoking caused very few health problems & it was a "case by case" basis...
It wasn't until 1964 before cigarette companies had to put warning labels on their products.
So that mistake went on for a few hundred years...
No biggie, right?
Kinda reminds me of "scientists" promoting bacon as a healthy breakfast.
I have read Christian minister's letters preaching the health dangers of smoking as early as the 1800's.

In the 20th century, some less than ethical scientists were employed by the tobacco companies to mislead the public. Their fraudulent behavior improved the ethics of scientific research and how, in all major medical journals, researchers must declare their conflicts of interest.

So the lies of some scientists, caught and correct by others, improved the process of science in acknowledging human observer bias - and trying to remove it.

Some stable somewhere

#552148 Oct 17, 2012
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text> Yeah, but I took the opportunity to put my own spin on your mythology, by parody.
The Jews were not slaves in Egypt, and they didn't build the pyramids, as is often asserted by the Abrahamic pantheon of religions. http://harvardmagazine.com/2003/07/who-built-... http://www.jewishideasdaily.com/1106/features... http://www.jweekly.com/article/full/41055/egy...
"The reality is that there is no evidence whatsoever that the Jews were ever enslaved in Egypt. Yes, there's the story contained within the bible itself, but that's not a remotely historically admissible source. I'm talking about real proof; archeological evidence, state records and primary sources. Of these, nothing exists." http://www.haaretz.com/jewish-world/the-jewis...
<quoted text>
Hiding is no more a teen than you are a genius.
It's ridiculous to cast aspersions in discussion. What you really want is insult and name calling argument when you use such methods. It's one thing to get in the occasional parry during a discussion because the person you are talking to has a weak point or position.
It's a juvenile approach when you consistently resort to insult when it's actually you that lacks a cogent point the majority of the time.
<quoted text> You haven't argued it.
You just assert that it is so. You should supply some information that supports your assertion.
To simply claim: "NO IT DOESN'T! BECAUSE I DON'T BELIEVE IT!"
Is not making a point at all. You're just "asserting strongly".
<quoted text> No we're not.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/03/...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptian_pyramid...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptian_pyramid...
<quoted text>
Sure she did.
You haven't offered an alternative explanation or viewpoint.
You just disagree with what she supplied.
Well said!

Some stable somewhere

#552149 Oct 17, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I think I skeeered away the Deist with that eeeeevil word: masturbation...
LMAO!
oooh, fun!

“Seventh son”

Will Prevail

#552150 Oct 17, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Lucy Lui is old.
Lucy Lui is old.
Lucy Lui is old?
She's only 44. That's perfect!
(and she's smokin hotness rolled up in a fancy set of buns)
:)

She would beat the snot out of you though.

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#552151 Oct 17, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Ahhhhh....
I'm getting it, OCB...
Humans evolved from amoebas.
Not fish.
Even though fish evolved from amoebas, too....
wtf?
And if you go back far enough one we did have protozoa ancestors, maybe not amoeba, it is really not possible to look that far back, yet.
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php...

Some stable somewhere

#552152 Oct 17, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I'm NOT calling God a liar. He led the authors of the Bible to withstand time, societal changes, political changes, even atheists & other religions.
The Bible has stood the test of time & is STILL trying to be understood.
So, where's your evidence to back this up?

Oh, right! The Bible tells us it is divinely inspired. So it must be the word of God.

So...how do we know the Bible is divinely inspired? Well it tells us it is!

(repeat)

“Seventh son”

Will Prevail

#552153 Oct 17, 2012
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, fish were our ancestors, and guess what? We have evidence of that. What evidence do you have to support your book written by bronze age camel humpers?
Fishcestors? lol

Some stable somewhere

#552154 Oct 17, 2012
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>I kinda think you mean "embroiled".....
hahahaha!!!

Thanks!

Folgive me, my Engrish.

Some stable somewhere

#552155 Oct 17, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
No OCB, what I've pointed out about evolution is that it's not a fact on how we assume it happened.
It is a fact that a life form can evolve.
It is NOT a fact that humans evolved from fish.
THAT is an assumption.
Humans evolved from walking fish with 19 arms and two wings. We used to have 8 eyes, like a spider, plus 1 magical eye that could see into the spirit world.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#552156 Oct 17, 2012
No, Hiding I'm not trying at all to compare the ToE to God.
All I'm pointing out is what we don't know about evolution far surpases what we do know.
So y'all needta quit yer preachin about it like you know where we all (all life) came from.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#552157 Oct 17, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Thanks, Hiding. Very mature of ya.
I know there's "bugs" in evolution that people around the world are trying to figure out.
In the meantime, however, to say that we "know" how it happened is premature & foolish.
With all due respect (very little), that's not for you to decide.

Can you name any of the "bugs" in evolutionary theory? Do you know where the fringes of the science are, where new discoveries are changing the landscape? Hiding does.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 min guest 647,081
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 47 min Doctor Peace 49,687
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 53 min Classic 3,689
How can I talk my wife into a 3 way with anothe... (Apr '08) 56 min This worked for me 162
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 1 hr Aussie Kev 2,117
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr onemale 281,294
Learning course CPA marketing 1 hr CPAmarketing 1
my cousin touches me when i am asleep and i kin... (Mar '14) 3 hr poptropaa 44
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 4 hr DebraE 105,692
topix drops human sexuality forum.......this be... 12 hr Jockfullonutz 28
More from around the web