Prove there's a god.

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#552166 Oct 17, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Damn where were you? I never even saw a place that full of missionary's . You must have been in Fundieville lol.
No kidding! Well you and RR both have said that's not normal. I thought it was, since it was my only time in your country. Maybe that's just normal for the university scene?

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#552167 Oct 17, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Damn where were you? I never even saw a place that full of missionary's . You must have been in Fundieville lol.
Never been to Gainesville, eh?

Laffin.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#552168 Oct 17, 2012
"How do you know evolution is real?"
"Because the math says so."
"How do you know the math is right?"
"Because evolution agrees with the math."
wash, rinse, repeat

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#552169 Oct 17, 2012
Oh, Sub. I gots lots o "gotcha's"...
Like:
You said the fossil record "proves" it.
Why?
Because the backbone of a certain fish is similar to the backbone of some land animal from 100 million years later?
Is that what y'all call "fossil record"?

Some stable somewhere

#552170 Oct 17, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
No, Hiding I'm not trying at all to compare the ToE to God.
All I'm pointing out is what we don't know about evolution far surpases what we do know.
So y'all needta quit yer preachin about it like you know where we all (all life) came from.
1. when have I preached that we know exactly where all life comes from?

2. Of course we don't know everything about evolution. All I ever write is that we've got the basic theory down. Now we're just working out the details - and they are becoming totally crazy! Evolution is poised to utterly change.

:p

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#552171 Oct 17, 2012
But where's the fossils of all these creatures that evolved? I mean DURING an evolutionary process?
Like a kinda half fish, half rat
or half eagle, half pteridactl(sp?)
or a half human, half ape
or a mix of a worm & a centipede?
Where are the fossils

Everett, WA

#552172 Oct 17, 2012
One false notion about evolution is that of "the missing link". Actually we have found the "missing link" thanks to creationists. A nice definition of a missing link for "ape to man", another false idea since man is a member of the ape family, is a fossil where it cannot be decided which is which. I am still looking for the definitive article, but this one will do for now:

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/homs/a_habili...

Homo Habilis is called "definitely an ape" by some creationists and "definitely a man" by others. Since creationists cannot decide which one it is it is the perfect example of the "missing link".

Some stable somewhere

#552173 Oct 17, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
"Because the math says so."
"How do you know the math is right?"
"Because evolution agrees with the math."
wash, rinse, repeat

Because we can actually measure gene frequencies in gene pools and track mutations over time. We can do this in populations in the lab and in nature.

Also, we have tons and tons of corroborating evidence in the form of fossils, morphology, and developmental processes.

And, yes, these experiments are repeatable. If they weren't, it wouldn't be science.

But it's cute that you tried to explain science in the manner of your believe in the divinity of the Bible...

So, how do you know the Bible is divinely inspired? I mean, other than the Bible telling you it is.

Some stable somewhere

#552174 Oct 17, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Like:
Why?
Because the backbone of a certain fish is similar to the backbone of some land animal from 100 million years later?
It's a tiny bit more complex than that.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#552175 Oct 17, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
No kidding! Well you and RR both have said that's not normal. I thought it was, since it was my only time in your country. Maybe that's just normal for the university scene?
America is full of religious people, but they don't all act religious all the time. During their holy days or when there is a political agenda, the dull fangs come out.

Maybe they were just picking on you because you're cute?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#552176 Oct 17, 2012
Sub, Hiding, I thank ya for being honest.
It seems to be a rare trait for most athitards (lol) that I've seen.
I'm not gonna say "no offense", though :p

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#552177 Oct 17, 2012
Hiding, what do ya mean that evolution is poised to utterly change?

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#552178 Oct 17, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
oh my god!!! A zombie! ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu nnnn!!!
or get me a hammer!
What the anti-gay religious fanatics do not understand when they say that their reason for hating homosexual behavior is because of sin is that according to their own book everyone is born into sin. It also states that all sin is equal under their god so in their own god's eyes they are the same as the homosexuals that they hate. So, they are in essence gay themselves.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#552179 Oct 17, 2012
Ok, ok...
"The fossils tell us."
"What do the fossils tell you?"
"That evolution is real."
"oooohhh..."

Everett, WA

#552180 Oct 17, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Like:
Why?
No, please don't try to make straw man arguments. Those are a form of lying and against your 9th Commandment. It is fine to say that you do not understand, it is not fine to lie.

The fossil record has many interruptions in it, you do not get a continual depositional environment on land. Land based deposits are rather rare. Look at where sediments are being deposited today. The fact is that there are some species here and there where we have a very good record, for a time, of their fossil history.

Putting it together is like putting together a giant jigsaw puzzle. And anyone who has worked on a jigsaw puzzle knows you don't have to have every piece in place to know what it is going to look like. You can also know what solutions to the puzzle are false.

So when you work with the difficult puzzle that the fossil record represents you will find some answers work and some answers don't. The observed fossil record totally debunks the idea of Noah's Ark. There is no way that they could have been deposited in the order that they were deposited in a year long flood.

Yet every fossil we find fits very nicely in the model made by evolution. And the fossil record is only one piece of evidence for evolution. If you talk to a biologist he will be able to tell you many more.

Everett, WA

#552181 Oct 17, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Sub, Hiding, I thank ya for being honest.
It seems to be a rare trait for most athitards (lol) that I've seen.
I'm not gonna say "no offense", though :p
There are very few "athitards" there are many more creatards. A creatard is a creationist who has looked at all of the evidence for evolution and still denies it or is one that refuses to look at the evidence in the first place. There is no such thing as an honest informed creationist. To fully learn the evidence for evolution you need to take some serious college level classes. It is not going to happen in one night on the internet.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#552182 Oct 17, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
So, where's your evidence to back this up?
Oh, right! The Bible tells us it is divinely inspired. So it must be the word of God.
So...how do we know the Bible is divinely inspired? Well it tells us it is!
(repeat)
How to keep a christian busy.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#552183 Oct 17, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
No, Hiding I'm not trying at all to compare the ToE to God.
All I'm pointing out is what we don't know about evolution far surpases what we do know.
So y'all needta quit yer preachin about it like you know where we all (all life) came from.
And you need to stop confusing evolution with abiogenesis.

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#552184 Oct 17, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Never been to Gainesville, eh?
Laffin.
Well it sure isn't like that at Daytona or Miami , but there are weird places like Orlando with strange cults and stuff so I guess there can be places where the christian population is a bit zealous. I know about everyone is really religious when they get started , especially when they find out you're not.

But I never understood the hate some will hold in regard of atheism.
I call myself atheist , but I'm really more agnostic than pure atheist. I think truthfully if there was a god it could reveal itself
and exert some proof of itself, therefore there isn't because it doesn't. If there was... it could not sit idle and allow disaster, and it would teach humans knowledge, not just chastise our faults.
Organized religion is complete bullshit.

If there was a creator it has long left from here.
But science shows us another way , one of infinite probabilities.
Evolution is one such way, while it may not have just been pure chance, there is nothing to indicate it wasn't.
Back some time up to when Darwin the Baptist posted here,
He said he thought that life and everything to make it happen was
something mixed into whatever caused the Big Bang.

I can find no better explanation , other than the universe itself
is what we so curiously seek. But being right in front of us
we just cannot see it.

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#552185 Oct 17, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I rarely converse with strangers about religion, other than a few missionary's very sporadically and family , but with family it's best to keep it to myself about cosmology etc. Missionary's are easy to blow off just start asking them all the wrong questions. I try to be nice but present them with a question for an answer.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 5 min Buck Crick 110,156
My NEW SPECULATION about the mystery vehicle an... 43 min Doctor REALITY 1
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 hr Rosesz 675,539
News NFL warns Texas over bathroom bill 5 hr Ais4awesome 2
News Hawaiians to Attorney General Sessions: We're n... 7 hr davy 14
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 7 hr Ancestry manager 6,221
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 9 hr Jolly Roger 286,304
More from around the web