Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
Matthew 17:20 says "And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you."

That means Jesus explicitly attributes their inability to the smallness of their faith, pointing out that even a mustard seed's worth of faith would be sufficient to cast out not merely demons but mountains.
I know what simple declarative text means, and in this case, it is not that. What it means is that nothing is impossible with even the least amount of faith. There are multiple verses making similar promises, and they aren't true:

[1]“Jesus answered and said unto them, Verily I say unto you, If ye have faith, and doubt not, ye shall not only do this which is done to the fig tree, but also if ye shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; it shall be done.”- Matthew 21:21

[2]“And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.”- Matthew 17:20

[3] "Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you”- Matthew 7:7

[4]“Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.”- Mark 11:24

[5]“Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father. And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.”- John 14:12-14

[6]“Again, truly I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything they ask for, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.”- Matthew 18:19-20

[7] "And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise them up. If they have sinned, they will be forgiven. 16 Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.:- James 5:15-16

[8]“If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask for whatever you want and it will be done for you.”- John 15:7

[9]“It was not you who chose me, but I who chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit that will remain, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name he may give you.”- John 15:16

[10]“On that day you will not question me about anything. Amen, amen, I say to you, whatever you ask the Father in my name he will give you. Until now you have not asked anything in my name; ask and you will receive, so that your joy may be complete.”- John 16:23-24

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
what if the test is done wrong? Or the data of the test is misconstrued?
Then you'll probably come to false conclusions.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Suppose the time card stamper isn't working and nobody saw you because you were doing an odd job & not at your typical location?
OK. I supposed. Now what? Was there a point to these questions? Absence of evidence is still evidence of absence. Do you know the difference between evidence and proof?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
There have been plenty of studies that show prayer to be effective.
I see that you have suddenly become a believer in some scientific studies. But what if the tests were done wrong or the data misconstrued?

If you had good data, reproducible data that prayer worked, it would be a better known fact than the sun dawns in the east.

“Pepsi is better than coke”

Since: Mar 11

and better with rum

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, Hiding was not being mean, she was paying you a true compliment.
The name of one of our most respected posters is Double Fine.
She was giving you one better....
Wait! The salient point is that Hiding is not a Christian!

grrrrrr!

(hahaha, I love that joke.)

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Judged:

waaasssuuup wrote:
i believe that you'll a have a llllllooooooonnnnnngggggg stretch of time to think about how much more respect you should have given Jesus the Christ, but you will have long forgotten anything related to felix the cat!
Are you shaking the chicken on a stick at me already? That was fast.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Judged:

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Huh? How am I mocking you?
First, I'm in agreement with you about gay rights. I just don't think they're only linked to black freedom, but freedom for all and the advancement of civil society.
Double Fine is a poster here - I'm making fun of him by making your name his, but including "Nice" in it. Double Nice Fine. If I wanted to poke fun at you, I'd write something using less nice words.
And I'm not a Christian.:)
I'll never be one. It's nice to have cognizant, moral Christians like yourself and Al on the threads to represent the good in your religion, but I disbelieve in all deities.
I'm pretty good at less nice words :)

I kinda like this DNF though. I don't care what people worship. It could be the bones of the Beagle hanging in their garage for all I care as long as they didn't kill it. Once dead always dead. All hail Snoopy.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Martina Navratilover wrote:
So, you believe in the God and the Bible?
No. I don't believe in anything. Nor do I worship anything.

I believe that your god is a mythical creature, and that your bible is the myth it comes from.
What promised peace and from who? What fruits of the spirit, love, joy, peace and from who? What faith and faith in who?
Exactly.

and better with rum

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

DNF wrote:
As I said I'm a gay man and Christian. For a long time now I've been praying for something to counter those who claim the civil rights struggle of blacks and that of gays have nothing in common.
Seems God answered my prayer today.
Check out:
South Africa officially recognizes Gay Pride flag as national symbol.
http://www.topix.com/forum/news/gay/TR45IAC89...
I hope you don't mind, but I'm curious. As a gay Christian man, do you want the institution of marriage? Or is that a topic that doesn't interest you?

and better with rum

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
<< eyes misting - teardrop traces a path down cheek >>
.. but, but, but - you said you loved me. Were you just using me for your wanton pleasure ??..
No, I just have sooooo many 100$ bills that I needed to give away.

“Paul is a confessed liar”

Since: Jul 11

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. So after the first page of: Prove there isn't one. Prove there is one.
Who'd a thunk after half a million posts later that we'd still be here. I've only been here for about a year. I've been compiling a list of "Fundie" adjectives used and "Athetard" adjectives used. I'm a nerd. Pleased to meet you and best wishes.
It has been a topic of arguement for over ten thousand years. In a way, it is interesting to be a part of an endless unresolvable debate.

and better with rum

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Judged:

River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm pretty good at less nice words :)
I kinda like this DNF though. I don't care what people worship. It could be the bones of the Beagle hanging in their garage for all I care as long as they didn't kill it. Once dead always dead. All hail Snoopy.
So far, DNF is great. I really think his name should be Double Nice Fine, or perhaps Double Naughty Fine. Or how about "Denied No Freedom"? Yes, that's the best considering the news from SA.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
It has been a topic of arguement for over ten thousand years. In a way, it is interesting to be a part of an endless unresolvable debate.
I'm just here for the errant lesbians that wander into this thread.

Does that make me bad?

“Paul is a confessed liar”

Since: Jul 11

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Judged:

River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm just here for the errant lesbians that wander into this thread.
Does that make me bad?
Nope. Did you know that the Bible doesn't prohibit lesbianism ? It only prohibits male homosexuality.

Intersesting, eh ?

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Judged:

River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Popeye, because I yam (what I yam).
Wimpy?
Good Idea.

They could retain the tradition of anointing with Olive Oil.

DNF

“A seat at the family table”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Judged:

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Huh? How am I mocking you?
First, I'm in agreement with you about gay rights. I just don't think they're only linked to black freedom, but freedom for all and the advancement of civil society.
Double Fine is a poster here - I'm making fun of him by making your name his, but including "Nice" in it. Double Nice Fine. If I wanted to poke fun at you, I'd write something using less nice words.
And I'm not a Christian.:)
I'll never be one. It's nice to have cognizant, moral Christians like yourself and Al on the threads to represent the good in your religion, but I disbelieve in all deities.
another pose called me on my error. I'm glad you did as well so I can apologize to you directly.

I'm sorry. I had you confused with someone else on here and don't even remember what prompted me to write what I did to you.

And my thanks for your kind words about me.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Judged:

It aint necessarily so wrote:
When you take narcotics continually for chronic pain, your doctor is expected to do random urine tests to make sure that you're taking the medications and not selling them. If there is no evidence of the metabolites in your urine, that's evidence that the drugs are absent from your system.
That is a lie. Doctors do not give random urine tests to make sure you are taking the medication.
You are mistaken. It is a common practice, as any of the links in this Google search can confirm: https://www.google.com/search...
I have drawyers of sleep medication, that I refuse to take and I told my doctor. He keeps giving it to me, and I keep pointing them in my drawyer.
Irrelevant. I said narcotics for chronic pain, nor soporifics for insomnia.
When I almost chopped my hand off, I was prescibine codeine, highly salable and still not one urine test. The only evidence is that you lied.
Same answer. Irrelevant. I said chronic pain therapy.

The evidence is that you don't know much about pharmaceuticals, and are quick to call your own errors the lies of others.

Furthermore, you missed the point of the comment, which doesn't depend on it being true that urine drug testing is ever actually done. Even if it weren't, it would still remain true that if the test were done, the absence of evidence of opioid metabolites in the urine is evidence of their absence from the blood system.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Judged:

I can give 100s of examples of prayer working, which exceed your standard.
No, that fails to meet my standard. My standard is peer reviewed, sufficiently powered, prospective, randomized, placebo controlled, double blinded studies with reproducible results that demonstrate the power of prayer.

BTW, the plural of anecdote is not "data."
When my father no longer has terminal cancer and diabetes and is healed without missing one day of work, and my brother and I spend hours in prayer which all said was pointless, and my dad described is point of healing as angelic like and it coincides with our prayers, I know that is evidence and so do you.
That's an anecdote, about the weakest form of evidence of anything. It is not evidence of the effect of prayer. As you so deftly pointed out with my anecdote about my mother on another thread, there is no reason to accept such claims from strangers as facts or proven. That is why scientific claims of fact need reproducible data to support them.
When I pray and tell God that His word says so, so it must be so, and I expect God to do what He says and He does, then I know prayer works and so do you.
Actually, I know that prayer hasn't work whenever studied scientifically.

DNF

Born in Newark, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Judged:

scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Good Idea.
They could retain the tradition of anointing with Olive Oil.
Love it

DNF

Born in Newark, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
So far, DNF is great. I really think his name should be Double Nice Fine, or perhaps Double Naughty Fine. Or how about "Denied No Freedom"? Yes, that's the best considering the news from SA.
I prefer DOES NOT FEAR. Or Dear New Friend.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Judged:

G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. Did you know that the Bible doesn't prohibit lesbianism ? It only prohibits male homosexuality.
Intersesting, eh ?
Did you know that I like Swan Song by Robert McCammon better than I do the Bible by ?.

It's much easier reading and much more believable.

Who doesn't like a good apocalyptic read without Jesus fuckineverything up?

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Judged:

“It must be quite galling for religious people to see atheists like me going about their business without a shred of guilt or self-loathing, and not in the least inclined to pray or to do penance of any kind, and not in the slightest bit worried about any form of eternal punishment. I have to admit if I was religious I'd probably think to myself: "How come I've got all this weight on my shoulders while these bums are getting a free ride?" – Pat Condell
So, why did you use Pat Condell's words
Because I liked the way he formulated the thought.
The drug use, random unfulfilled sex acts, straights experiencing gay sex and tran sex, alcohol abuse, wife beating, self beating, etc. are not acts of no guilt but are acts of self loathing.
What drug and use and random sex acts? Are you assuming that those thing characterize Condell's life, and that is what he is referring to when he made that comment?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 524,261 - 524,280 of680,593
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

471 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 4 min number four 217,124
Legal marajuana is an act of rebellion against God 19 min Doctor REALITY 1
Gay Snapchat Names 23 min gbtm1 1,355
The REAL reason the White House won't deport Ju... 28 min Doctor REALITY 1
The REAL reason the White won't deport Justin B... 32 min Doctor REALITY 1
Dirty pictures 35 min Raynman7 1
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 39 min pusherman_ 596,599
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 45 min Henry 512,266
Girls snapchat names?(dirty) 1 hr Xbobstax 266
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 2 hr danetoo 109,734
•••
•••
•••