Prove there's a god.

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#549659 Oct 12, 2012
MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>
Mr Lewontin the notorious quote miner is an idiot who is still quoting Darwin out of context over a century after the fact.
He also has no idea what a religion is.
No. Dr. Lewontin didn't say what RR claimed he did. RR absolutely and dishonestly misrepresented what Lewontin wrote. Lewontin was warning about "just so stories" - the kind you get in evolutionary psychology by people who don't understand evolution, but would like to use it in their social science.

Lewontin is constantly misquoted - purposefully - by creationist liars. It's sad, but it tells us about the goals of their dishonest religion.

This is what Lewontin said in full:

""Our willingness to accept scientific claims that are against common sense is the key to an understanding of the real struggle between science and the supernatural. We take the side of science in spite of the patent absurdity of some of its constructs, in spite of its failure to fulfill many of its extravagant promises of health and life, in spite of the tolerance of the scientific community for unsubstantiated just-so stories, because we have a prior commitment, a commitment to materialism. It is not that the methods and institutions of science somehow compel us to accept a material explanation of the phenomenal world, but, on the contrary, that we are forced by our a priori adherence to material causes to create an apparatus of investigation and a set of concepts that produce material explanations, no matter how counter-intuitive, no matter how mystifying to the uninitiated. Moreover, that materialism is absolute, for we cannot allow a Divine Foot in the door. "

In other words, Lewontin is saying "don't make shiit up. Use evidence."

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#549660 Oct 12, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
You are right not to listen to those guesses (they're not theories). They are entirely lacking in evidence.
Also, they diminish humanity.
I agree. I hate hearing people say shit like aliens "must've" built the pyramids. I like to think that human are boundless creatures that can do pretty much anything they set their mind on.

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#549661 Oct 12, 2012
MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll bring fruit and marshmallow dip, I'm picking the team robes up from Dawkin's place at 15:30hrs (zulu time) it was his turn to launder them.
.. don't forget to bring Mrs. Charrington ..
Orangelion

Buckley, UK

#549662 Oct 12, 2012
scambuster wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not suspicious about it. Generally speaking, we should all try to avoid generalizations.
I do avoid generalisations, but I used the word suspicous to imply that it could be true. Although he probably wouldn't even bother making any comments on the debate if he felt incapable of argueing his points.

Some stable somewhere

#549664 Oct 12, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
What the hell?
I said I'm hungry.
That means you make me a sammich!
I will not make dishonest quote-miners sandwiches.

Some stable somewhere

#549665 Oct 12, 2012
Orangelion wrote:
Just ignore her and don't even refer to to what hidingfromyou has said, her belief in evolution is obviously only there to serve her young ego. For now just continue the debate with others. The only things she says when she receives a logic come back are simply, "you are lying", "you are delueded", "you are stupid", "you are uneducated", "the big bang just happens", "quantums are just random". She doesn't actually give any logic herself.
Why do you keep writing me if you're trying to ignore me?

Someone has a crush! Who has a crush?!? Oh, it's Orangelion, the impotent old man!

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuk! Groooooooooooooooss!

Get away from me you filthy old man!

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

Since: Apr 12

Orlando but NYC born & raised

#549666 Oct 12, 2012
Gate Keeper 1 wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, I told her the same and even linked her to a medical site. You won't admit that she is as wrong as a gay in a schoolyard with children.
Listen up as this is the ONLY time I will tell you this:

Other than THIS post of yours, I DO NOT READ ANYTHING you post- not what you post to me and not what you post to others.

So I am being NICE by letting you know that you are wasting your time every single time you post TO me and if you post to others ABOUT me.

I think every single person here who posts to you is also wasting their time and I do wonder why the more intelligent people here bother with you at all.

You are a WRECK of a human being, you are an aberration, you have sick obsessions and fetishes and there is NOTHING at all RIGHT with you.

You also prove just how deeply in denial you are about your INCREDIBLE myriad of psychological issues and problems, for if you looked in the mirror just ONCE, I think you still have enough of a shred of sanity left that you would realize you are SO desperately in need of psychological help.

So your time would be MUCH better spent getting that help which is painfully obvious you need, but if instead, you prefer to sit on Topix day and night posting your blathering, hateful nonsense and spewing, spew it elsewhere.

As a general rule, I don't talk to GARBAGE and this is the ONLY exception I will make where YOU are concerned. You have proven to be a blight on society, on humanity and a major slap in the face to ALL that is good, decent and HOLY.

Don't post to me, don't talk about me and other than this response, you are a MORON and one THOUSAND per cent delusional if you think I will EVER post to you again.

FINIS.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#549668 Oct 12, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
No, baby. <sigh> I explained all this already.
Evolution is not something that you believe in. Evolution is perfectly observable, testable, provable. Evolution the theory explains it - it is, in science, treated as fact. It has never been disproved, not once.
I've already told you that evolution does not equal not-god. You are the one here elevating evolution to a religion - you are making a straw man so that you feel better about yourself.
And you have now succumbed to the religious penchance for dishonesty. You utterly misquoted Lewontin to make him look as if he supported your ignorant comments.
I am going to assume you aren't lying and simply copied that from a website who lied to you.
This is what Lewontin wrote, word for word:
"Our willingness to accept scientific claims that are against common sense is the key to an understanding of the real struggle between science and the supernatural. We take the side of science in spite of the patent absurdity of some of its constructs, in spite of its failure to fulfill many of its extravagant promises of health and life, in spite of the tolerance of the scientific community for unsubstantiated just-so stories, because we have a prior commitment, a commitment to materialism. It is not that the methods and institutions of science somehow compel us to accept a material explanation of the phenomenal world, but, on the contrary, that we are forced by our a priori adherence to material causes to create an apparatus of investigation and a set of concepts that produce material explanations, no matter how counter-intuitive, no matter how mystifying to the uninitiated. Moreover, that materialism is absolute, for we cannot allow a Divine Foot in the door."
Your God hates liars, RR. Don't go down the road of dishonesty to make your religion palatable. You will only end up eating filth.
hehehe... Sure sounds like some scientists indeed have an agenda:

"We take the side of science in spite of the patent absurdity of some of its constructs, in spite of its failure to fulfill many of its extravagant promises of health and life, in spite of the tolerance of the scientific community for unsubstantiated just-so stories, because we have a prior commitment, a commitment to materialism"

"in spite of its absurdity"
"in spite of its failure"
"in spite ofbthe unsubstantiated so-so stories"
"because we have a prior commitment"
"NO MATTER WHAT, WE BELIEVE IN SCIENCE, RIGHT OR WRONG!"

hmmmm and you say I'm lying? Will you now become OCB, backed into a corner & saybthat I'm lying for my Jesus?!

Some stable somewhere

#549669 Oct 12, 2012
Orangelion wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem to lack the education, education materials will themselves teach issac newton as trustworthy. He was also the one who invented the three laws of motion. Now bitch off kid.
Dude, you keep stalking me. You've already written "ignore Hiding" a bunch of times. Since the last one, you've written me 4 times. In 2 pages!

Try harder to ignore me. You're too stupid for me to comment on your stupidity. Your religion has damaged you beyond belief. I feel sorry for you, but what can you do? With this level of brain damage...I think it's hopeless.

Every time you write about me, it shows to everyone how big your crush is on me. It's flattering and all, but kind of creepy.

If I met you, I'd break you.

Some stable somewhere

#549670 Oct 12, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
"We take the side of science in spite of the patent absurdity of some of its constructs, in spite of its failure to fulfill many of its extravagant promises of health and life, in spite of the tolerance of the scientific community for unsubstantiated just-so stories, because we have a prior commitment, a commitment to materialism"
hmmmm and you say I'm lying? Will you now become OCB, backed into a corner & saybthat I'm lying for my Jesus?!
Yes. You outright lied. You purposefully deleted words from Lewontin's writing.

Why did you do it?

To recap. You wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Evolutionists believe in evolution because they want to. It is their desire at all costs to explain the origin of everything without a Creator. Evolutionism is thus intrinsically an atheistic religion.
They say "Of course we can't prove that there isn't a God."
Therefore, they must "believe" it, and that makes it a religion.
"We take the side of science in spite of the patent absurdity of some of its constructs,... in spite of the tolerance of the scientific community for unsubstantiated commitment to materialism" -Richard Lewontin
That's not what Lewontin wrote. This is what he wrote:

"Our willingness to accept scientific claims that are against common sense is the key to an understanding of the real struggle between science and the supernatural. We take the side of science in spite of the patent absurdity of some of its constructs, in spite of its failure to fulfill many of its extravagant promises of health and life, in spite of the tolerance of the scientific community for unsubstantiated just-so stories, because we have a prior commitment, a commitment to materialism. It is not that the methods and institutions of science somehow compel us to accept a material explanation of the phenomenal world, but, on the contrary, that we are forced by our a priori adherence to material causes to create an apparatus of investigation and a set of concepts that produce material explanations, no matter how counter-intuitive, no matter how mystifying to the uninitiated. Moreover, that materialism is absolute, for we cannot allow a Divine Foot in the door."

It's a very different statement.

Why are you lying?

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#549671 Oct 12, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds as if YOU are delusional, too.

The day YOU back ME into a corner is a day that not only has NEVER dawned, it is a day that never WILL dawn.

YOU, in the meantime- I guess you LIKE being backed into corners- perhaps in grade school you had to STAND in the corner so much of the time you've become very comfortable with it since it is YOU who backs yourself into corners here ALL the time with no one else needing to do it FOR you, since you so often manage to do it so well all by yourself.
Orangelion

Buckley, UK

#549672 Oct 12, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Someone has a crush! Who has a crush?!? Oh, it's Orangelion, the impotent old man!
Sorry kid, but if I am pointing out your faults, I think it simply implies the opposite. If someone had a normal mind, if they had a crush, they would biasedly in their own minds try to defend the person and their qualities the beholder thinks they have. It is obvious I am finding fault with you and destroying you emotionally. Your stupid comment implies that you don't even know the simple feeling of a crush, the emotions you get at your age. You don't even understand your own emotions, sorry little girl, you don't stand any chance.

Some stable somewhere

#549673 Oct 12, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, you are totally being dishonest.

I have already written to you that scientists are human, have I not? That they have political agendas - have I not? Are you going to lie about this, now, too? I can produce links to my posts.

Lewontin is speaking to that matter. He is saying that scientists are all too willing to accept just-so stories when they should be evidence focused. Science ONLY relies on evidence, not on fiction, not on assumption, not on make-believe. But some scientists ignore that and make presumptions anyways.

You removed words from his paragraph and twisted them to look as if he was producing a religious statement, but you're not man enough to admit it. I've already posted the exact words Lewontin wrote thrice now - and instead of apologize and admit your error, you cover it up by misunderstanding another part of his quote and, what's worse, taking select phrases out of context to make science look bad.

I name you dishonest and a liar, Riverside, until you admit your error. A man is nothing without his word and you are in the process of tossing yours away.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#549675 Oct 12, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. You outright lied. You purposefully deleted words from Lewontin's writing.
Why did you do it?
To recap. You wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not what Lewontin wrote. This is what he wrote:
It's a very different statement.
Why are you lying?
Why does RR lie? Because he thinks he hears his Jesus whispering in his ear telling him to lie.

And as long as any disgusting act or behavior is done in what RR thinks is the name of his Jesus, he will be as much of a reprobate as he thinks his Jesus is telling him to be.

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#549678 Oct 12, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Fighting fire with fire? Now you're talking....Love it!
Orangelion

Buckley, UK

#549680 Oct 12, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, you are totally being dishonest.
I have already written to you that scientists are human, have I not? That they have political agendas - have I not? Are you going to lie about this, now, too? I can produce links to my posts.
Lewontin is speaking to that matter. He is saying that scientists are all too willing to accept just-so stories when they should be evidence focused. Science ONLY relies on evidence, not on fiction, not on assumption, not on make-believe. But some scientists ignore that and make presumptions anyways.
You removed words from his paragraph and twisted them to look as if he was producing a religious statement, but you're not man enough to admit it. I've already posted the exact words Lewontin wrote thrice now - and instead of apologize and admit your error, you cover it up by misunderstanding another part of his quote and, what's worse, taking select phrases out of context to make science look bad.
I name you dishonest and a liar, Riverside, until you admit your error. A man is nothing without his word and you are in the process of tossing yours away.
You are lying, he was refering to science being flawed, and its absurbity. If he was speaking saying we take the of science(Not religion), despite its absubity(Evolution and the big bang theories absurbity). You know nothing.

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#549682 Oct 12, 2012
Orangelion wrote:
<quoted text>
I do avoid generalisations, but I used the word suspicous to imply that it could be true. Although he probably wouldn't even bother making any comments on the debate if he felt incapable of argueing his points.
I'm not speaking for anyone else... Sometimes it's more fun and productive to actually play the part of the person that your detractors want you to be than it is to try to refute points that are nonsense to you.
Orangelion

Buckley, UK

#549684 Oct 12, 2012
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>Why does RR lie? Because he thinks he hears his Jesus whispering in his ear telling him to lie.
And as long as any disgusting act or behavior is done in what RR thinks is the name of his Jesus, he will be as much of a reprobate as he thinks his Jesus is telling him to be.
You are still relying on a little girl who lacks any trust. I told her that white lie about "logic peaks at early adulthood anyway", when it obviously doesn't, because I didn't trust her to accept the fact that I was given her the benefit of the doubt that she was a kid, but instead if she was an adult, she would be tolerant of the benefit of the doubt, perhaps making a passing comment that she wasn't a kid, and she could prove herself, but instead, we both know she has proven to us time and time again that shes a kid. You back off into the corner instead by calling people stupid without evidence to the flaws of the logic, you have a very simply flight or fight mechanism in this debate. While Gate Keeper actually fights and stands his ground with reason, piss off.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#549686 Oct 12, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>It has been tested & is still being tested.

If you wanna remain, how do you say it, willfully ignorant, that's your choice.
Wow.

That just blew up my Russian made, industrial strength irony meter.
Orangelion

Buckley, UK

#549687 Oct 12, 2012
scambuster wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not speaking for anyone else... Sometimes it's more fun and productive to actually play the part of the person that your detractors want you to be than it is to try to refute points that are nonsense to you.
That sounds quite a clever idea, although I myself am not so much into the politician tactic when it comes to debates LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 min kent 653,691
You are of your father......THE DEVIL. 16 min Knock off purse s... 21
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 21 min Dr Banonator 63,435
Fedz Pimping Poison Meat - Don't Buy 1 hr HiddnNumbrz 1
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 2 hr Rosa_Winkel 106,478
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 2 hr WasteWater 2,568
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 2 hr Classic 3,797
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 5 hr LAWEST100 618,751
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 6 hr Pegasus 281,841
More from around the web