Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Judged:

Orangelion wrote:
<quoted text>
That obviously isn't true, as each generation ends up being bigger and stronger than the second, why haven't kids gotten smaller, their sedentary, oh no, instead their bigger, I bet 16 year olds during the 1950's were only 150lbs, now most tend to look around 175lbs. It should apply the same to the teeth, despite apparently being not being needed for what they were originally needed for several years back since food being less tough. What does that say about evolution? What is it that makes animals grow wings, fish grow feat? It is simply a theory made by darwin without any evidence or prove.
Sorry, baby, you're wrong here. Humans today are simply nowhere near as strong and fast as the humans of more than 12000 years ago. Some of the top Olympic athletes approach the speed at which people used to be able to run.

In the above paragraph, you're confusing good diets and development with evolution. In the past few hundred years, in select societies, food quality has greatly increased while parasites have been virtually eliminated. That allowed the human body to develop to its full potential - over the course of 5 generations. It takes 5 generations to reach the full species height. Humans are just now starting to get back to where we were, in terms of height, of our ancestors (prior to 12 000 years ago). But we won't get the strength back.

It's not surprising that you are confused on these issues, given you have a religious bent.

“Go ahead.”

Since: Mar 11

Make my day.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Total body size decreasing wasn't mentioned, just the jaw and cheekbone's.
Previously I had discussed bone density and musculature.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do elements not evolve?
Oxygen has always been oxygen, right?
Carbon has always been carbon, right?
Water has always been water...
Every life on Earth is made of elements & are thought to have evolved. Why hasn't elements evolved?
They do and have. This is about as dumbed down as it gets. Hope you understand it.

http://aether.lbl.gov/www/tour/elements/stell...

“Go ahead.”

Make my day.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Judged:

Orangelion wrote:
<quoted text>
When I said that statement about logic peaking in early adulthood I actually used it as a white lie to shut you up. That is simply what I was trying to say kid.
Why do you use multiple sox? Is this a strange brain disorder on your part?

“Go ahead.”

Make my day.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Makes sense, yes. So you can tell what kind of food a fossil ate.
See? Witty and intelligent. Riverside, you've set a new standard to which others on here will simply never match.

(that's a compliment, btw)

“Go ahead.”

Make my day.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do elements not evolve?
Oxygen has always been oxygen, right?
Carbon has always been carbon, right?
Water has always been water...
Every life on Earth is made of elements & are thought to have evolved. Why hasn't elements evolved?
Err...that's not actually what theory has to do in science.

Elements don't evolve because they don't reproduce. Evolution is about change - you need something that can change to have evolution. You need to have a system that includes 1) reproduction, 2) inheritable traits, 3) variation of those traits, and 3) limited resources to have evolution.

If you're missing any of those, you simply do not have a system with evolution in it.

“Go ahead.”

Make my day.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Judged:

scambuster wrote:
<quoted text>
People on here are usually rude... I've kinda come to expect it when I come here. Hell, even I can be an asshole sometimes on here. I have met some incredible people on here though... Atheists, Agnostics, Christian... All types. All interesting people.
I guess the key to it all is to expect people to get angry, and not get butthurt about it. My philosophy anyway.
I'm only rude to people after they've been rude to me. Orangelion picked a fight - s/he's all upset that s/he can't keep up. That's what happens when your only source of knowledge comes from creationism.

:)

“Go ahead.”

Make my day.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Judged:

Orangelion wrote:
And when animals adapt, the adaptation is supposed to be permanant, its supposed to be improving to more conditions it faces, not simply suited to the condition its already in, that isn't improving, that is simply suiting the enviroment. The peppered moth should have the ability to change colour anyway at anytime to suit the enviroment if it is to adapt to improve its survival of the fittest. Fish have adapted to living on land have they? Is this really survival of the fittest, it isn't survival of the fittest anymore if he is in the see again and drownin. Evolution is flawed.
I'm sorry, but you are very confused about biology.

Adaptation takes place at several different levels. Within individuals, adaptation has two levels: developmental and immediate response. All offspring's bodies develop in response to environmental conditions. So, a child grows up in a high altitude environment, its body will be well suited to apoxia. A child grows up in poverty, it's going to be of smaller stature, have greater health problems and a shorter lifespan.

Immediate adaptive responses happen when you're faced with a challenge in the environment. So you go for a vacation in Peru to see Machu Pichu - suddenly, you're exposed to apoxic conditions. Your resting heart rate skyrockets, your breathing increases, blood pressure increases, mobility decreases. Over the course of three weeks, your red blood cell count will increase and your heart rate and breathing will return to near baseline.

Adaptive responses such as the above are the product of natural selection.

“Go ahead.”

Make my day.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, so then why does DNA evolve but the elements that make DNA don't?
B/c DNA:

1. produces proteins (traits)
2. is inherited
3. subject to mutation and therefore contains variety
4. either gets passed on or not

DNA that gets passed on continues in the environment. DNA that doesn't get passed on goes extinct. The DNA that gets passed on has mutations acting on it constantly. Sometimes this produces new, useful DNA and this outcompetes other, previous versions. The previous versions then go extinct.

Does this make sense?

The basic molecules that make up DNA don't change - it's the configuration (and therefore the products of) these molecules that get passed on.

“Go ahead.”

Make my day.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
It seems some people are arrogant enough to say that they "know"...
Gatekeeper doesn't know what s/he's talking about. S/he doesn't understand the math involved and is just making it up. S/he won't be able to point you to a scientific reference for his/her claims - s/he could only point to a creationist site for such fake numbers.

“Go ahead.”

Make my day.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That's true, but you know it goes both ways on the bad parent subject.
I'm not that bigoted where I'll say that all gays are bad parents, I'm sure a lot of them are decent people.
I DO believe, though, that it gay parents can't give a child a moral compass of mom/dad. They can't. It's either 2 men or 2 women. I believe that the child will grow up a little confused & would possible choose to be gay, also.
Studies of children of gay households reveal that the children are better adjusted, on average, then in other household situations.

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

With Established Harem

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Where there's a left, there's always a right....
"Two therapists who try to turn gay people straight, along with a student who says he was successfully converted to heterosexuality, are suing nearly two dozen California state officials, including Gov. Jerry Brown, saying a new state law infringes on their civil rights."
www.cnn.com/2012/10/04/us/california-gay-ther...
.. you didn't read the entire article:

"This law bans non-scientific 'therapies' that have driven young people to depression and suicide. These practices (conversion therapy) have no basis in science or medicine."

.. sending a child/teen to conversation therapy is akin to sending someone to Joseph Mengele's laboratory. Treatment includes aversion shock therapy, brainwashing and physical punishment. All because their parents can't accept them for who they are or their religion says they're not going to heaven if they're homosexual ..

.. pathetic ..

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

With Established Harem

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Judged:

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
So you're telling me that you are 16?
Uhm...are you forgetting how our conversations went?
.. Orangelion & GK are not worth your time or brilliance ..

.. use your scroll button ..

.. RR is close, very close ..

“Go ahead.”

Make my day.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Judged:

Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. Orangelion & GK are not worth your time or brilliance ..
.. use your scroll button ..
.. RR is close, very close ..
Yeah, Orange and GK seem like the same person.

I like RR, he's ok by me once you get past the bigotry.:)
RickBlaine

West Memphis, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Elements don't evolve because they don't reproduce. Evolution is about change - you need something that can change to have evolution. You need to have a system that includes 1) reproduction, 2) inheritable traits, 3) variation of those traits, and 3) limited resources to have evolution.

If you're missing any of those, you simply do not have a system with evolution in it.

Huh?
RickBlaine

West Memphis, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Judged:

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Err...that's not actually what theory has to do in science.
So, let me see if I can restate your argument. Elements didn't spontaneously generate from nothing. Living things didn't evolve by chance from non-living things (elements). Therefore, neither, living things, nor nonliving things exist. Therefore, God must not exist. Is that right?

“Go ahead.”

Make my day.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

RickBlaine wrote:
<quoted text>
So, let me see if I can restate your argument. Elements didn't spontaneously generate from nothing. Living things didn't evolve by chance from non-living things (elements). Therefore, neither, living things, nor nonliving things exist. Therefore, God must not exist. Is that right?
Huh? Uhm...the previous poster asked why molecules like Oxygen and Carbon don't evolve. The discussion, at that point, had nothing to do with the existence of God. Evolution doesn't actually prove or disprove God. Evolution is simply a tool to understand biological phenomena.

So I explained to Riverside what kind of system you need to have evolution. Evolution can only happen in systems that have: 1) inheritable traits, 2) variety in those traits, 3) scarce resources.

It's not an argument about God. It's not an argument about where atoms come from. It's just the required factors needed for a system that evolves.

Living organisms fit the requirements; they evolve.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Judged:

RickBlaine wrote:
Huh?
Elements evolve within stars. They do not reproduce they are produced from nuclear fusion by a process called nucleosynthesis.
But for heavier elements it requires a large energy input to trade
particles within the atomic nucleus .
Elements heavier than iron are created when stars go supernova.
This is by neutron capture and called s-process and r-process.

Do not confuse the evolution of matter within stars , with the evolution of life on Earth.
RickBlaine

West Memphis, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Elements evolve within stars. They do not reproduce they are produced from nuclear fusion by a process called nucleosynthesis.
But for heavier elements it requires a large energy input to trade
particles within the atomic nucleus .
Elements heavier than iron are created when stars go supernova.
This is by neutron capture and called s-process and r-process.
Do not confuse the evolution of matter within stars , with the evolution of life on Earth.
So now your are arguing that elements do evolve? And stars spontaneously generate from nothing?And "living" stuff which is made up of the same stuff as stars evolve according to a different pattern than elements that evolve from stars?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

378 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 4 min shyam 4,491
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 5 min The Awakener 172,268
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 11 min Alon 114,975
SIGN of the end-times: the spread of homosexuality 24 min Rosa_Winkel 25
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 34 min AussieBobby 256,382
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 36 min bacon hater 93,662
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 44 min andet1987 5,210
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr Mi Lin 532,443
Game of Thrones Ebook Download Free [PDF] (Feb '13) 10 hr John 53
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••